As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PbP] Lair Assault: Forge of the Dawn Titan (OOC & Observation)

AegisAegis Fear My DanceOvershot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
Lair Assault: Forge of the Dawn Titan

Neverwinter was once a bustling metropolis but now lies in ruins after a century of turmoil. Thirty years after a devastating cataclysm caused by a waking primordial brought fire, earthquakes, and evil in its wake, the city still works to rebuild their lost home, repair efforts having given the city new life under the Lord Protector Dagult Neverember.

However, years before the devastation, a group of cultists to Asmodeus called the Ashmadai worked in secret as agents of the infamous Thayan Lich, Szass Tam. A splinter faction of the Ashmadai led by a tiefling named Mordai Vell has been recently looking to increase its power in the rebuilding city, pushing themselves out into the open and marking buildings of those who have borne the wrath of Asmodeus. A few weeks ago, this tiefling cult leader discovered the catacombs of the Waterclock Guild hidden deep beneath a mausoleum in Neverwinter's graveyard. The Waterclock's in ages past had a hand in designing the mechanisms that a group of dwarves had used to bind the primordial Maegera and Mordai Vell has managed to find a way under Mount Hotenow to gain access to this primordial and its latent power.

Plotting his own rise to power without his cult's usual deference to Thayan influence, Mordai Vell plans to fuse the power of the Nine Hells with the might of Maegera to create a sceptre that will contain enough power to doom Neverwinter and cement the tiefling's rise to power. Busy dealing with other threats still looming within the city, Lord Neverember has beseeched adventurers to eliminate Mordai Vell as quickly as possible. Neverember's wizards have managed to scry out his location and you are provided with a map detailing the complex that Mordai Vell has holed himself up in as his plans come to fruition.

You race through the tunnels under Mount Hotenow, speeding towards the Forge of the Dawn Titan, hoping to get to the tiefling in time and stop his evil plans before this bound primordial's power is released onto the world.

----

Map

AJ9Sr.jpg

Welcome to Lair Assault. This is your chance to make a party and kickass while everything else is trying their best to beat the living crap out of you!

This won't be your normal signup as characters are encouraged to be discussed among the group for the best coordination within the party so everyone knows what's going on and can plan a strategy. As such I'll be taking Signup posts instead of people interested, collecting the names, and RNGing a party of 5 (or 6 if I have to get through a bunch of people). A group will run the gauntlet and either succeed or fail. If you win, good for you! If not, you can plan and try again but not until after I've given other folks a chance to go first if there happens to be more than 5 signups.

Speaking of winning, there is a glory mechanic in place here. For completing various challenges each individual player gets rewarded at the end of the encounter, win or loss. I will track this as some form of leaderboard just for the hell of it. Here's a list of some, but not all, of what you can potentially earn:
General Awards
Epic Win - Deafeat the challenge on Nightmare Mode. (20 Glory)
I'll Be Back - You get a 20 or higher on a death saving throw. (10 Glory)
It's Critmas - You score a critical hit. (5 Glory)
Monster Slayer - Defeat Every enemy creature in the dungeon. (20 Glory)
Commando - You complete the challenge without using magic items or consumables. (20 Glory)
One Shot - You drop a nonminion enemy from full hit points down to 0 hit points. (10 Glory)
Racy Group - Your party defeats the challenge with a group in which all the characters are the same race. (10 Glory)
Tough as Nails - You complete the challenge without spending a healing surge. (20 Glory)
TPK - Every character in the party dies. (5 Glory)
It's a Trap! - You disable a trap or hazard. (5 Glory)

Challenge Awards
Dungeon Mapper - Your group opens every door in the dungeon. (10 Glory)
Give My Regards - You knock an enemy off a ledge or into lava. (5 Glory)
I Regret Nothing - You fall off a ledge or into lava. (5 Glory)
Lava Nice Day - You die from lava. (10 Glory)
Speed Demon - Complete the challenge in 5 rounds or fewer. (10 Glory)
Treasure Hunter - You recover the gem from the bejeweled statue. (5 Glory)
Vell's Foil - Your group defeats the challenge. (10 Glory)

This game will be run for 5th level characters (character creation details will be more specific when parties are assembled and told to begin character making) and specific information you'd know about the dungeon and the scenario will be made available at the start of any particular game. As you see above, you get the map above to view at the start of the game but no more detailed information than that. Your objective (if you haven't gathered from the fluff) is to kill Mordai Vell before he wakes a scary primordial.

It is recommended that you have some knowledge about 4e to participate simply because this module is designed (though we can argue how successfully) to require coordination and optimization, which people new to the game might find out of their element.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
Currently DMing: None :(
Characters
[5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
Aegis on

• Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    I would love to take part in this, I really wanted to join into the game when it took place at the shop near me but I worked on the night they ran through the dungeon.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    My wife did this at our FLGS couple weeks ago and the lvl 8 one last week. She had a great time and I'd love to try it myself!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Anialos wrote:
    My wife did this at our FLGS couple weeks ago and the lvl 8 one last week. She had a great time and I'd love to try it myself!

How did the new one go? Haven't had a chance to see it though I've heard it made improvements over this one.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I've run this already, so I won't sign up to play, but I will sign up to laugh at the MISERABLE FAILURES who do.

hippofant on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Hippofant, the avatar of optimism!

Characters
  • Options
    I have changed my avatar (pic) to reflect my new role.

Ooo ooo, can I pretend to be Mordai Vell and just yell evil taunts when the party wipes?

• Options
    People fear the Dawn Forge apparently.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote:
    Anialos wrote:

How did the new one go? Haven't had a chance to see it though I've heard it made improvements over this one.

She said it was MUCH harder than this one. Level 8 party. I can give you details via PM if you want. They won by the very skin of their teeth.

• Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    I'm game to try this. I'm relatively inexperienced so I don't know the power/meta game well, but I know how to roll dice and kill baddies and that's what it's about right!

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    This sounds awesome; sign me up!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alright that's four interested folks (plus a motivational speaker). I might just grab the next person or two that shows up and start right away and then if anyone else shows interest later they can be put on the second team's list.

Characters
  • Options
    Excellent...I've already made three characters for this. One each of defender/leader/striker. Why yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm up for trying this! Can I play?

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Of course I see this too late. If anyone backs out I'd love a shot at a slot.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Looks like I missed out!

I don't really have any optimised character concepts bouncing around in my head right now anyhow. Nor have I managed to get the character builder working properly, despite the help of several people here. I'll try again this weekend.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to Hell Lair Assault!

@Sakutian
    @Anialos
    @moleface
    @dresdenphile
    @Steelhawk
    @Nealneal

Character Creation!

1) Create level 5 characters using any sourcebook available (with one exception, see below). Themes are also kosher. Supposedly the online character builder has a section or option available that assists in creating Lair Assault characters but I have not examined this so YMMV.
    2) No pixies. Sorry, but you'll understand why.
    3) Standard magic items (level 4, 5, & 6 magic item) plus 840 gp.
    4) You are allowed a maximum of 1 rare item if you opt to use your magic item budget purchasing one.
    5) Maximum of 2 consumables with no consumables exceeding your level.
    6) Don't bother with rituals as you have no time to cast them prior to entering the complex.

Questions, comments, etc. You are all encouraged to discuss among yourselves the best fit among classes or if you guys have any particular strategy you're aiming for.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Well, first things first: we'll need to determine our role composition and/or who is going to play what class.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If this is going to be brutal we would probably want 2 healers, or at least 1 dedicated and 1 backup? And same deal with a tank? Could a cleric or paladin play the role of backup healer and defender? And then maybe a solid controller and a couple of super high damage guys? Which classes do you think would be best suited?

• Options
    We should probably have one super healer and one that is a hybrid or multiclassed into a second Leader class.

We might be able to abuse Essentials Strikers with Clerics/Warlords that grant and/or buff melee basic attacks. Warlord and a Slayer, maybe?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'll be better able to join this disucssion once I have my LCB updated.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Am I wrong in thinking that a Paladin might be good for this? It gives us a bit more healing a pretty heavy tank to hold the line. Plus I'm betting we're going to need all of the divine aid that we can get our hands on.

Also for a controller I'm thinking a Wizard is our best option.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Complete LegacyComplete Legacy Registered User new member
    If it's still possible I'd like to signup for a second running of this, it looks like a lot of fun. I've got a pretty good amount of experience with 4e. Looking forward to seeing how the first group does on this.

• Options
    Yup, I'm keeping a running list of anyone else interested for future runs.

Characters
  • Options
    I'm thinking of doing a Gnome Illusion Wizard. If I do it just so I should be able to cause some major chaos among our foes.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    From what I gathered good healing and damage are paramount. Didn't seem to a whole lot of use for a defender or controller for that matter. Maybe Aegis will make it that way though :lol: . Boo to no pixies, but I know why :twisted:. I can play whatever you guys need, guess I'll whip up a leader first.

• Options
    To answer the paladin question, they would be a good defender if we take one. Have good mark enforcement and decent damage.

• Options
    There is always plenty of use for a good controller in my book.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    I've been curious to try out a seeker, a ranger archer and a tempest fighter just because those classes appeal visually to me. Which do you think would be best suited to something like this? Which is most capable of laying down some hurt?

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Ranger Archer, on account of being a very, very strong ranged Striker.

Seekers lack feat support, and Tempest Fighters, while good, are not great.

I'm observing.

Observing the nerrrrrds.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Ranger archer can lay down some serious hurt at low levels.

• Options
    Ok well unless anyone has any objections I will make one of them. I will post my sheet for critique once it's done so you can help me optimise :) (also, first time rolling a character that's not level 1)

• Options
    Go for it man. No objections here.

• Options
    I'll post a couple choices for the group to pick from when I get home tonight.

• Options
    Take your pick! I prefer the Skald or Barbarian since they are both entertaining new options. Plus they both have fire resist :winky:.

• Options
    Kay wrote:
    Ranger Archer, on account of being a very, very strong ranged Striker.

Seekers lack feat support, and Tempest Fighters, while good, are not great.

I'm observing.

Observing the nerrrrrds.

NERDS?! WHERE?!

• Options
    *raises hand*

Here is my archer. Let me know if you think theres anything worth switching up

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    You'll wanna drop Human Perseverance for Resilient Focus. The latter is a +2 feat bonus to saving throws, nicely obsoleting the former.

I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Here is my sheet, just typing in the last few powers and item details. I freely welcome suggestions for ways to improve Jessup.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=335665

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amon'kul the Illusionist- http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/4000
    Damak the Inspiring Warlord- http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/4001
    Bjorn the Guardian Weaponmaster- http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/4002
    Rorik theThief- http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/4003

I'd be happy to fill any roll in the party.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Wow Nealneal, those look great to me. I lean towards Bjorn and Damak personally because a fighter and a warlord would be great to have to hold the line on this one. You did a wonderful job on all of the sheets though.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch