Options

Beating a dead horse: Pregnancy chances?

2»

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    kj01 wrote: »
    My general cause for curiosity is this: My friend had sex (full-on, penetration and all) with his girlfriend, unprotected every day for a month. She wasn't on birth control. He didn't, as mentioned, use condoms. Both were virgins beforehand. She never got pregnant. So should I really be worrying if there was never any real penetration, especially when she's on the pill (and is very trustworthy to take it same time everyday)? Or did they just have really good odds, and I could possibly not have such great odds?
    Your friend is a retard who got incredibly lucky.
    Statistically, he didn't really get all that lucky.

Since she's on the pill, even if there had been penetration, statistically speaking, you would have almost nothing to worry about. Since there was no penetration, there's really nothing to worry about, though, depending on what you mean by "almost," there's a very outside chance it could have possibly happened. It would be like winning the lottery, though.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    if the friends were using the withdrawal method well, then it's not that lucky at all... perfect use withdrawal rates are amazing....

typical use are typically horrendous, but if someone was extremely strict about it...

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    if the friends were using the withdrawal method well, then it's not that lucky at all... perfect use withdrawal rates are amazing....

typical use are typically horrendous, but if someone was extremely strict about it...

Kind of defeats the purpose of sex though? Be focusing more on that than on your ladyfriend...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »

they would probably still fuck it up and end up a father when they could've bought a box of condoms for a couple bucks. don't ever rely on pulling out, jesus.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I also want to share a bit of an anecdote--my ex was on the pill for non-contraceptive reasons (Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome), and she was extremely religious about it. Having an incentive besides no-babies can help with keeping a good schedule.

Not to say that your girlfriend is the same way, but you should ask about it when you talk with her. And you really should talk with her. Even though the pill is 99.9% effective when taken properly (the only reason that they can't list it 100% is because it's not outside the realm of possibility... but neither is winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning twice), it still is a good thing to discuss with the person you're in a relationship with.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    kj01 wrote: »
    My general cause for curiosity is this: My friend had sex (full-on, penetration and all) with his girlfriend, unprotected every day for a month. She wasn't on birth control. He didn't, as mentioned, use condoms. Both were virgins beforehand. She never got pregnant. So should I really be worrying if there was never any real penetration, especially when she's on the pill (and is very trustworthy to take it same time everyday)? Or did they just have really good odds, and I could possibly not have such great odds?

I did this for like a almost 2 years and didn't get a girl pregnant. Some people are more fertile than others I guess.

Not doing that again...

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    anecdotal evidence aside, wear a fucking condom and use birth control if you really don't want her getting pregnant. you could try and calculate the odds so that you can avoid some part of birth control, but if that's the case, you weren't serious about doing it in the first place.

honestly, there should be no debate about this. just do it.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I did some quick research about the percentage of effectiveness a condom is, so if a condom says it is 98% effective, that means that 2 out of 100 women will/might get pregnant during a years use with this type of condom.

And I have a quick question- how effective is spermicide in condoms? Or more specifically, spermicide and pre-cum?

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited February 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »
    anecdotal evidence aside, wear a fucking condom and use birth control if you really don't want her getting pregnant. you could try and calculate the odds so that you can avoid some part of birth control, but if that's the case, you weren't serious about doing it in the first place.

honestly, there should be no debate about this. just do it.

There is a special word for people who try to do it solely based on odds and 'time of the month.' They are called 'parents'

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    spacerobot wrote: »
    And I have a quick question- how effective is spermicide in condoms? Or more specifically, spermicide and pre-cum?

Eh, spermicide on condoms isn't all that effective. And there's some debate as to how much sperm, if any, is actually in pre-cum. Why? If you put it on before you get close to your ladyfriend, it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I did some quick research about the percentage of effectiveness a condom is, so if a condom says it is 98% effective, that means that 2 out of 100 women will/might get pregnant during a years use with this type of condom.

Well, a couple small studies have found that pre-ejaculate usually contains only very small amounts of sperm, if any, therefore making it very unlikely to impregnate a woman that way. However, like I said, they were just small studies, and plus, it's still possible (lightning, lottery, etc).

Edit: Beaten!

Edit 2: Just to clarify...

The only way a condom can not be effective is if it slips off, breaks or has some sort of tear in it, right? "98% effectiveness with proper use" seems to imply that sometimes sperm just magically seeps through when none of those things happen.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »

Eh, spermicide on condoms isn't all that effective. And there's some debate as to how much sperm, if any, is actually in pre-cum. Why? If you put it on before you get close to your ladyfriend, it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

There was a study that said spermicide actually INCREASED the chances of pregnancy. A lot of condoms don't use spermicide anymore.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I wouldn't worry if she is on the pill. You just have to make sure she actually takes as in my experience some girls may forget (OMFG!). There are other less forgetful methods like the Ova ring and Depo shots. The ring she replaces every month and Depo shots are taken every three months AFAIR.

LondonBridge on