As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek is Our Business

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Also the events in Total Recall were all what Arnold's character was saying he wanted to buy at the beginning when he sat in the memory-altering chair.

And the "happy ending" of Minority Report after Tom Cruise is put into cryogenic prison was a dream he had; they set it up in the movie when they said that people in cryogenic suspension can dream, and everything after he gets frozen works out perfectly for him.
    Well, you could have mentioned Brazil, where your Minority Report interpretation is LITERALLY what happens at the end of the movie.

I've never seen (or even heard of) Brazil. So no, I couldn't have mentioned it :P
    Pff. That's what the internet is for. Your Google-fu is terrible.

The really interesting thing for Brazil, to me?
    It's the happy ending... for 1984.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    And the "happy ending" of Minority Report after Tom Cruise is put into cryogenic prison was a dream he had; they set it up in the movie when they said that people in cryogenic suspension can dream, and everything after he gets frozen works out perfectly for him.

Minority Report's ending wasn't a dream, it was just a Spielberg film

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    psychics playing chess must be the most frustrating thing in the universe. I'm surprised their heads didn't explode the moment they sat down.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That's a good point; why does Professor X even use the telephone? Even when people phone him, he can always tell who's calling and from where, so why can't he just talk back to them in their heads?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I don't think Professor X actually can tell who's phoning him. He's telepathic, not psychic.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Man I just watched The Visitor. I skipped it when I was rewatching the series because the sentence-long plot synopsis sounded lame to me.

Man was that a mistake. TONY TODD YOU ARE THE BOMB.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I am up to the end of Season 2 in my TOS rewatch. I enjoyed The Ultimate Computer more now than I did the first time I watched it. Ugh, but next up are two strinkers: Assignment: Earth and of course Spock's Brain (Season 3 episode 1). Alcohol may have to become involved here, folks.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    (Violations) Uh...what? This episode is going in a strange direction and all my stupidity alarms are going off.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    (Violations) Uh...what? This episode is going in a strange direction and all my stupidity alarms are going off.

Just reading the description in wiki. Looks like Spock's mental assault on Velaris was legal. The Federation has no mind reading laws. o_O

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I just watched (Q Who) again for the first time in forever. Freaking hell why couldn't they have left the Borg alone as this terrible entity.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    I just watched (Q Who) again for the first time in forever. Freaking hell why couldn't they have left the Borg alone as this terrible entity.

One time I managed to end up watching "Best of Both Worlds" followed immediately by "Unimatrix Zero". The contrast was almost painful.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'll never understand why Voyager is constantly sending people (usually at least 3 of the 5 most important people on the ship at any more time) away in shuttlecraft. Voyager is travelling at high warp in a relatively straight line. If they send some shuttle away, they have to either slow down and/or change course to pick them back up, and are effectively limiting Voyager to the shuttle's top speed for the duration of the mission. So, unless they're already stopping Voyager to do something else, they'd be better off just taking Voyager on whatever mission the shuttle is on. It's just such a stupid contrivance, and they do it every other episode.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'll never understand why Voyager is constantly sending people (usually at least 3 of the 5 most important people on the ship at any more time) away in shuttlecraft. Voyager is travelling at high warp in a relatively straight line. If they send some shuttle away, they have to either slow down and/or change course to pick them back up, and are effectively limiting Voyager to the shuttle's top speed for the duration of the mission. So, unless they're already stopping Voyager to do something else, they'd be better off just taking Voyager on whatever mission the shuttle is on. It's just such a stupid contrivance, and they do it every other episode.

Instead of making a straight trip home theyre using their time in the Dela Quadrant to explore shit along the way. Basically they found out theyre like 40 years from home at maximum warp and decided fuck it might as well see whats out here on the way back.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Real Answer:

Because it's the only way to let them steal old TNG/TOS scripts.

• Options
    or DS9 scripts, like the immortal warlord that steals bodies

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    emp123 wrote:
    Ashcroft wrote:

Instead of making a straight trip home theyre using their time in the Dela Quadrant to explore shit along the way. Basically they found out theyre like 40 years from home at maximum warp and decided fuck it might as well see whats out here on the way back.

Seven of D just walks up and asks, "why the &*%$ are we tooling along at warp 4 and investigating every little thing anyway?" and Janeway answers something along the lines of, "we're humans, curiousity is what we do4 TEH LULZ!"

Boring7 on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Ashcroft wrote:

Seven of D just walks up and asks, "why the &*%$ are we tooling along at warp 4 and investigating every little thing anyway?" and Janeway answers something along the lines of, "we're humans, curiousity is what we do4 TEH LULZ!"

The Doctor also rants once while treating someone who was injured by the anomaly of the week, "why do we bother pretending we're trying to get home at all, when really we're investigating every anomaly we see."

sig.gif
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Ashcroft wrote:

The Doctor also rants once while treating someone who was injured by the anomaly of the week, "why do we bother pretending we're trying to get home at all, when really we're investigating every anomaly we see."

sig.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Just watched the DS9 "The McGuffining" "Heat of Stone".

So we get someone trapped in the McGuffin, on Moon McGuffin, with McGuffin-quakes. Feel the Drama!
    Yes, yes, it's partly the point but it was just painful to watch.

At least the B plot was pretty good.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    I like how the Ferengi pretend to be this hyper-libertarian capitalist worshiping society, but they're actually quite statist. Like they have a king who can give out official monopolies, and their "Ferengi Commerce Authority" can apparently crush any business they don't like.

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Voyager's immediate quest to get home didn't make a great deal of sense to me in the first place. So you've signed up for a post on a deep-space exploration vessel, you get teleported across the galaxy instantly (to an uncharted quadrant no less), and your first thought is... let's head home?

On my ship that kind of thing is what we'd call a "head start".

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Voyager's immediate quest to get home didn't make a great deal of sense to me in the first place. So you've signed up for a post on a deep-space exploration vessel, you get teleported across the galaxy instantly (to an uncharted quadrant no less), and your first thought is... let's head home?

Huh? It's not like they signed up to sail away and never return home. And they did choose to explore stuff rather than heading home as fast as possible.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Pi-r8 wrote:

Huh? It's not like they signed up to sail away and never return home. And they did choose to explore stuff rather than heading home as fast as possible.

Also I could be wrong but from what I recall of the pilot it wasn't a "deep space exploration". In fact wern't a ton of people(including the Captain) getting off after the Maquis mission anyway?

Not all Federation ships deep space exploration. The D was mostly a Diplomacy/War vessal after all.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    So I am up to the end of Season 2 in my TOS rewatch. I enjoyed The Ultimate Computer more now than I did the first time I watched it. Ugh, but next up are two strinkers: Assignment: Earth and of course Spock's Brain (Season 3 episode 1). Alcohol may have to become involved here, folks.

What? Assignment Earth is pretty good. The guy who plays Gary Seven has real gravitas.

Spock's Brain is definitely best enjoyed with booze, though.

"BRAIN? WHAT IS BRAIN?"

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:

What? Assignment Earth is pretty good. The guy who plays Gary Seven has real gravitas.

Spock's Brain is definitely best enjoyed with booze, though.

"BRAIN? WHAT IS BRAIN?"

A friend donated some booze to my apartment. It is... green. I'm gonna need it, definitely.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    I like how the Ferengi pretend to be this hyper-libertarian capitalist worshiping society, but they're actually quite statist. Like they have a king who can give out official monopolies, and their "Ferengi Commerce Authority" can apparently crush any business they don't like.

That *is* libertarianism.

I'd like there to be a punchline after that but there really isn't. Basically everything from Grand Nagus Gint to the FCA down to Quark the bartender was and expression of libertarian hyper-capitalism, just rarely looked at with the selective blindness of your average internet libertarian. The commerce authority was an authority which granted Ferengi business licenses to the Ferengi who could follow the licensing rules and afford the fees, much like how the bond ratings agencies in the real world are paid by the companies they rate and gawrsh there's no way either one would abuse that power or do a bad job because if they did no one would be willing to do business with them right?

The Grand Nagus essentially buys the office, or inherits it via appointment by the previous Nagus, and according to the same Libertarian/Ferengi philosophy if he did a bad job with his disbursement of monopolies and determining who best could exploit a new market then the Ferengi would simply refuse to obey his edicts, and in return he could use his vast holdings to engage in economic warfare against his enemies. Just as a major corporation can come up to a state and say, "gimme a handout or I'll leave the state and you can shrivel and die." Just as Paris Hilton made 10 million dollars off of a handbag she "designed" and stuck her name on that sold really well in Japan because she was already rich.

Fundamentally, the kings and emperors of old were just the CEOs of companies that held localized monopolies on all the important industries (real estate, food production, and military/police). Which is the whole joke, Nagus was king, he was also the boss, and the differences were a matter of description rather than function.
    Pi-r8 wrote:

Also I could be wrong but from what I recall of the pilot it wasn't a "deep space exploration". In fact wern't a ton of people(including the Captain) getting off after the Maquis mission anyway?

Not all Federation ships deep space exploration. The D was mostly a Diplomacy/War vessal after all.

She was a hunter-killer sent to go after pirates. The pirates were maquis and the killing would only be after strenuous attempts to capture alive but parallels are parallels. The voyager was lighter, faster, and more maneuverable than a lot of other ships because she was supposed to stalk the dangerous badlands and chase prey that would likely flee and knew the area better.

Boring7 on
  • Options
    (Violations, cont) Are you KIDDING with this, Star Trek?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh god yes that episode. Uggghh.

A dude fucking assaulted one of your officer's and you're just like, " oh I wish you wouldn't do that."

edit: wait, I was thinking of different Troi episode later on.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Boring7 wrote:
    She was a hunter-killer sent to go after pirates. The pirates were maquis and the killing would only be after strenuous attempts to capture alive but parallels are parallels. The voyager was lighter, faster, and more maneuverable than a lot of other ships because she was supposed to stalk the dangerous badlands and chase prey that would likely flee and knew the area better.

What is the design purpose of the Intrepid class? STO has it pegged as "long range science vessel".

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    Boring7 wrote:

What is the design purpose of the Intrepid class? STO has it pegged as "long range science vessel".

If I recall correctly, Intrepid is a medium-range ship designed for science.

• Options
    I think this might be the first episode I've seen where Worf won a fight that wasn't triggered by his wife getting murdered, and he just casually slaps the mind rapist senseless. Which is nice, but they need to let Worf kick more ass.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    Boring7 wrote:

This designation might have come after the fact :P

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    No, its a science vessel. The reason they were given the mission was that:

A.) The person Janeway picked as security officer was busy doing a long term infiltration of that group.

B.) Voyager had a bunch of experimental sensor arrays and such that could potentially help out in finding vessels in the badlands.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It was a science vessel that was built for combat (according to tom paris)

who the hell knows

override367 on
  • Options
    Whatever its purpose, it sure looked pretty.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

who the hell knows

Isn't that almost every Starfleet vessel that has large crews?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

who the hell knows

It's probably science as in Japanese whale research, investigating the effects of phasers on things that are not also phasers.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Locking 150 people into a metal box with Janeway and Neelix is a pretty cruel experiment.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I thought their experimental bio-neural computer system that was so superior (due to bad science but whatever) was supposed to make it better at not being torn up by all the exploding shit in the badlands. But that's what people told me when they were trying to defend it while it was still on the air, so yeah.
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Locking 150 people into a metal box with Janeway and Neelix is a pretty cruel experiment.

Ah, there we go. Section 31 knew what Janeway was planning and had the genetically engineered people from the institution run the numbers. The results of the "Voyager experiment" would determine whether it would be better or worse for the Federation and the Galaxy at large to do the horrible things necessary to stop her. (Presumably involving time travel, the borg, and the destruction of multiple star systems)

This discussion has been closed.