As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Old thread. Please lock.

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    hand of QUOTA

must meet the QUOTA

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Yeah I do that with Dazzle but didn't consider it for Prophet. Maybe the extra mana will let me postpone the voidstone and go for treads first instead.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Ghetto way to check your skill level. Go to replays and filter your name. Then filter based on skill level.

I have mainly 'Medium' replays with a handful of 'High' and 'Low'

this is really cool, i wonder where i sit, guessing medium

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    only way to play furion is rush hand of midas

While I agree it can be useful, you have to really be maximizing your GPM early game in order to make Midas worth it, even as Furion. I think most players aren't good enough at the game (including myself) to even consider that item as a viable option.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    midas is almost always a good investment if you get it before 10 minutes

pays for itself in 19 minutes + the bonus exp it gives you (and +IAS)

not necessarily good for furion, but yeah. that's just how midas is

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Yeah I do that with Dazzle but didn't consider it for Prophet. Maybe the extra mana will let me postpone the voidstone and go for treads first instead.

I never get treads on Furion. I rarely, if ever, even get boots of speed on him.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Heleor wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »

I never get treads on Furion. I rarely, if ever, even get boots of speed on him.

o_O

• Options
    that seems... not optimal

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You can get away with not getting boots on Furion, or getting them very late. Most pros don't bother with them, especially if they can get a really early Midas if they skip boots. It doesn't increase his jungle speed enough to matter, and you aren't chasing people down when you gank. It should be just teleport > trees and the guy dies.

If you get caught by someone with lots of stuns when you are solo pushing you probably aren't getting away anyway.

Drool on
  • Options
    Drool wrote: »
    You can get away with not getting boots on Furion, or getting them very late. Most pros don't bother with them, especially if they can get a really early Midas if they skip boots. It doesn't increase his jungle speed enough to matter, and you aren't chasing people down when you gank. It should be just teleport > trees and the guy dies.

If you get caught by someone with lots of stuns when you are solo pushing you probably aren't getting away anyway.

And Lothar's gives +MS anyways. ;)

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Okay I tried the Soul Ring for jungle prophet and I don't like it at all. My little treants die so fast. I'd rather have Basilius+mana pots early on to take on medium/some hard camps with level 1 treants.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Even though I'm horrible at this game apparently I'm not.

19 Low
    83 Medium
    147 High

• Options
    Hm. I'm apparently mostly low/medium, and have only 4 high. I guess I *am* as terrible as I thought. ;)

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Still can't play. :/

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    To the guys I played with last night in single draft: If I ever seem frustrated, it's probably due to the bad choices I'm making, not the ones you're making. If I give you tips and constructive criticism, it's only because I would want to know if I was messing up, and so you know what to do in the future. That being said, I do enjoy our little single draft romps, even though we always lose :P

Edit: I was really frustrated during that game when I was Faceless Void, for example, mainly because I was farming a whole lot and then...I ended up buying a Manta Style instead of a BKB which I think lost us the game. I was just getting stunlocked way too hard.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    peewi and I have this thing where we random

always random

sometimes it's hilarious (when I get Tiny or Bloodseeker)

sometimes it's awful (when I get magina)

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    To the guys I played with last night in single draft: If I ever seem frustrated, it's probably due to the bad choices I'm making, not the ones you're making. If I give you tips and constructive criticism, it's only because I would want to know if I was messing up, and so you know what to do in the future. That being said, I do enjoy our little single draft romps, even though we always lose :P

Edit: I was really frustrated during that game when I was Faceless Void, for example, mainly because I was farming a whole lot and then...I ended up buying a Manta Style instead of a BKB which I think lost us the game. I was just getting stunlocked way too hard.

I think that was the game where I was Tiny. I should've bought a BKB as well, instead of Shiva's. Their team just had soooo much silence on it.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I was also worthless that game as sand king, wee!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    needs to be a penguin courier

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of a way to get information on all games played for a span of time? As in, is there some sort of metadata available for download about all the saved replays. Things like champions chosen, who won/lost, items purchased and level order?

May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Senshi wrote: »

always random

Magina no longer exists!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i liked that name

i mean it can be mispronounced but whatever! i really dig "ma-gee-nah"

it's very fantasy to me i guess

mandhanda or whatever ain't my jam

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    i mean you could mispronounce that as MANHANDLA!!!!

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Senshi wrote: »

always random

i too only random

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well here's a surprise.

The test client is completely borked with the new update, which is apparently nothing.

Valve writes, "The beta client has been updated, but you have to run it yourself to see what the updates are."

The beta client says, "Updated on Wed. December 31st, 1969."

I guess it's better than the main client being messed up, but really. I know dota has traditionally run 3 versions (beta, public, stable), and this sort of thing makes sense in the long run. But early on in the actual beta? Unless they're further along than it seems.

Haha, even better!

The test log is out now, and it basically just lists all the exploits that have been found in the last patch and won't be patched for another week. So people don't even have to work to find them.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    Man, why is the range-finder not enabled by default? This thing is great!

• Options
    Page- wrote: »
    Well here's a surprise.

The test client is completely borked with the new update, which is apparently nothing.

Valve writes, "The beta client has been updated, but you have to run it yourself to see what the updates are."

The beta client says, "Updated on Wed. December 31st, 1969."

I guess it's better than the main client being messed up, but really. I know dota has traditionally run 3 versions (beta, public, stable), and this sort of thing makes sense in the long run. But early on in the actual beta? Unless they're further along than it seems.

Haha, even better!

The test log is out now, and it basically just lists all the exploits that have been found in the last patch and won't be patched for another week. So people don't even have to work to find them.

Er, they posted the test clients change long right in the blog.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/7456/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I said they posted it.

I still think it's funny that the test log basically reads like a list of bugs and exploits that you have to deal with for the next week.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Oh, I completely misread your post, whoops. Sorry about that.

And yeah, I really dont understand the point of the test client. Not a fan.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh god. Meepo textures have shown up.

The end is near. D:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MEEEEEEEEEEEEEPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Icefrog has been making some wc3 dota posts recently. He says 6.74 is on the way, but it'll mostly be balance tweaks and bug fixes, so he plans on making it the new stable version right away. Then he will immediately start working on 6.75, which will be the content patch, so a few hero and item remakes at least.

He then opened up discussion threads about phoenix, tc, and pit asking what people like and don't like about them. I can see tc getting some major work done on him. While he was ridiculously strong on release (he came out at the same time as Kunkka and WR, and both he and Kunkka were super overpowered), his numbers kept getting nerfed and now he's hardly played. Still an alright hero, but his roles have been supplanted or made redundant. Pit, though, just got some major skill remakes and still isn't in CM. I'd hate for him to get the same treatment as the tree. Phoenix is still a pretty new hero, so I don't know about changing him. He got some major balance tweaks in 6.73 anyway.

Looking back on those 3 heroes is interesting. Kunkka and tc are both well designed heroes with a ton of skill synergy and huge aoe potential. When they were introduced they could wreck entire teams by themselves. Then they kept getting their numbers nerfed and people learned how to play against them. Now they still have a lot of aoe potential, but their combos are so hard to land that it's rarely worth the effort. A perfect Kunkka or tc combo will still win their team the fight before it starts, but they need all the planets to be in alignment for that to happen. On the other hand, Windrunner was a garbage hero on release. She didn't do anything really well and her ult was (still is) terrible. It was really easy to see her nuke coming and she needed trees to land her no-damage stun. Years later and she's only been slightly tweaked, but is now one of the most picked heroes in the game.

Goes to show you never can tell.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    TC came out with BR, which was way after Kunk/WR.

And yeah, I feel like Frog just cant decide what he wants to do with Pit.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was sure it was around when Kunkka came out. Guess I should have actually checked.

Bat was another stupid broken hero on release. He had like 100 base damage and could 3 shot anyone in lane with oil at level 2.

The theory is that Icefrog puts them in really strong so that people actually use them. Then he can check the numbers and put them where they need to be.

stream
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    I was sure it was around when Kunkka came out. Guess I should have actually checked.

Bat was another stupid broken hero on release. He had like 100 base damage and could 3 shot anyone in lane with oil at level 2.

The theory is that Icefrog puts them in really strong so that people actually use them. Then he can check the numbers and put them where they need to be.

Valve has done similar things with TF2. Some of the weapon unlocks were clearly far superior to the standard ones when first added and later nerfed to a reasonable level.

I'm starting to wish that they'd get in a tutorial and do a public release soon. There are people not in the beta I'd like to play with. Unless they start releasing a lot of heroes at the same time, getting in the last 38 heroes from WC3 Dota could take a long time.

• Options
    At least we're back to 5 bans.

stream
  • Options
    Watching Premier League reminds me of why I love Na'vi so much.

ARS-ART going for his patented CM build of dual nukes and stats, no ult, no aura, then stacking hp with bracers and a vanguard. Suddenly CM isn't food and the other team can't figure out why! Plus, she's got decent nukes, so surviving the team fight is really helpful.

stream
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    that feel when Bane, Sand King and Leshrac are the best heroes ever