As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Furnace Trouble

XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, so I have a natural gas furnace with an electric ignition, and a digital thermostat.
My furnace is currently cycling on and off continuously, rather than just running. I don't think it's the thermostat, because it is indicating that it wants the furnace to be on steady, as the temp is a good 5 degrees below the current set point.

Any ideas or help?

Xaviar on

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Does it have a pilot light? Check that, though if it has one and it's not lit then it shouldn't come on at all.

• Options
    No, it's an electric-start. No pilot.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    from the sound of it, the ignitor or a component inside it is shot. having a model or brand would definitly help.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    check the thermocouple, it'll be a little rod sticking down in front of one of the burners. you should be able to just unscrew it from above and than clean it off with some sand paper. they get dirty with carbon build-up and don't report the proper temperatures anymore. had a furnace doing the same cycling thing and clean the thermocouple fixed it right up.

also check that your filters are clean, if it's not getting enough air a furnace will shut off.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Ended up calling a guy. Turns out the control board thing shorted out. Replaced that and it sort of started working as it should. Enough to figure out the airflow pressure switch was shot as well. Presumably one took the other with it.