As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warcraft III TFT: Now with more burrow rushing

2»

• Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    whats an apm?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actions per minute

Andorien on
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actions per minute. How many times you are clicking your mouse.

It's an overrated stat, but it is important and a good indication for your micro management of your units.

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Here is probably one of the best players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbxHw4eYI0&mode=related&search=

You can actually see his APM here in this game, probably high 200s.

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here is probably one of the best players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbxHw4eYI0&mode=related&search=

You can actually see his APM here in this game, probably high 200s.

He seems to be rally point spamming during downtimes, though.

Edit: Not that the downtimes lasted very long. Interesting game of bit chicken there.

Pity it cut off, I wanted to see how it ended. The attacker might have had more room to play around with resources, but then again he was probably spamming units as quickly as the defender, and towers as well.

Second edit: Someone in the comments said that the defender ended up winning.

jothki on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »
    creeping or attacking in early game should be a strategic choice. however, due to tp scrolls and how powerful static defenses are in the early game, a fast rush is never a viable option. it may harass or annoy a player, but it can never win a game like a super fast ling rush could in sc. the first few minutes of sc are intense, especially if your opponent is zerg and you are protoss. i can have 6 lings up with 4 following and in your base by the time you have one zealot. if you arent incredible with probie control, you are dead. but if you strategically chose forge (cannon) instead barracks (zs), you can hold off the ling attack relatively easily. but, if you choose to go cannon and i dont go ling rush but instead go fast double hatch and heavy hydra, then you may be fucked in the long run. in other words, in sc, strategic decisions mattered.

So the ultimate result of the game can be decided even before contact is made? That sounds more like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors than a strategy game.

jothki on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    creeping or attacking in early game should be a strategic choice. however, due to tp scrolls and how powerful static defenses are in the early game, a fast rush is never a viable option. it may harass or annoy a player, but it can never win a game like a super fast ling rush could in sc. the first few minutes of sc are intense, especially if your opponent is zerg and you are protoss. i can have 6 lings up with 4 following and in your base by the time you have one zealot. if you arent incredible with probie control, you are dead. but if you strategically chose forge (cannon) instead barracks (zs), you can hold off the ling attack relatively easily. but, if you choose to go cannon and i dont go ling rush but instead go fast double hatch and heavy hydra, then you may be fucked in the long run. in other words, in sc, strategic decisions mattered.

So the ultimate result of the game can be decided even before contact is made? That sounds more like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors than a strategy game.

Only if you're silly enough to not scout :/

Ranlin on
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ranlin wrote: »

Yeah, that's actually what I like about StarCraft, that it is basically a game of rock, paper scissors. but you scout, to see what your opponent is getting. If he's getting Rock, you get Paper, and then he scouts and sees that your getting Paper, so he starts getting some Scissors, and so on and so forth, and it makes for very interesting and fun battles, where the whole game revolves around countering the counter to your counter of the counter, etc.

In WarCraft 3, when I used to play online (and I would only say I was average at the game, but that's neither here nor there) it never felt to me like a game of rock, paper, scissors, because it always seemed like no matter what combination of units I built, no matter what I did, nothing ever seemed to work as intended. I'd scout and see the enemy getting specific unit(s), so I would attempt to counter it using a logical choice, but it never seemed to make any difference (or barely a difference at all) where I always felt that it should have made a big difference. If I went to the trouble of scouting and he didn't, and yet I still lost the fight, it's very discouraging.

I tried for months to play that game online, trying out different strategies, and races, and nothing ever worked well for me.

Also, the fact that there is usually only one fight/encounter with the enemy, and whoever wins that wins the game always seemed kind of boring to me. There was no frantic rebuilding, or last minute expanding to save yourself, it was just kinda.. over.

I guess I was hoping that WarCraft 3 would play more like StarCraft, and then had a hard time getting into it because I would lose so many 1v1's on Battle.net for no logical reason (unit/strategy wise, obviously the other players knew something I didn't).

It's still a pretty fun game to play with friends, and I enjoyed the single player campaign, but I will always, always chose to play StarCraft over WarCraft 3, always.

Quintile on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who is on?

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh WC3: TFT... That game really brought the n00b hating asshole out of me. Are there still a lot of players on Battlenet?

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Quintile wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »

Yeah, that's actually what I like about StarCraft, that it is basically a game of rock, paper scissors. but you scout, to see what your opponent is getting. If he's getting Rock, you get Paper, and then he scouts and sees that your getting Paper, so he starts getting some Scissors, and so on and so forth, and it makes for very interesting and fun battles, where the whole game revolves around countering the counter to your counter of the counter, etc.

In WarCraft 3, when I used to play online (and I would only say I was average at the game, but that's neither here nor there) it never felt to me like a game of rock, paper, scissors, because it always seemed like no matter what combination of units I built, no matter what I did, nothing ever seemed to work as intended. I'd scout and see the enemy getting specific unit(s), so I would attempt to counter it using a logical choice, but it never seemed to make any difference (or barely a difference at all) where I always felt that it should have made a big difference. If I went to the trouble of scouting and he didn't, and yet I still lost the fight, it's very discouraging.

I tried for months to play that game online, trying out different strategies, and races, and nothing ever worked well for me.

Also, the fact that there is usually only one fight/encounter with the enemy, and whoever wins that wins the game always seemed kind of boring to me. There was no frantic rebuilding, or last minute expanding to save yourself, it was just kinda.. over.

I guess I was hoping that WarCraft 3 would play more like StarCraft, and then had a hard time getting into it because I would lose so many 1v1's on Battle.net for no logical reason (unit/strategy wise, obviously the other players knew something I didn't).

It's still a pretty fun game to play with friends, and I enjoyed the single player campaign, but I will always, always chose to play StarCraft over WarCraft 3, always.

You're right about the one battle thing. Many games are determined by one battle. Thats why recon is so important. Never fight a pitched battle you can't win. Run if your heroes die since you're not getting exp for your kill anymore. thats also why it's a must to have at least two heroes.

You always need multiple production buildings. If you lose a battle you can rebuild much much faster and opefully recover. It also lets you switch gears and make different units much faster too.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have WC 3 but not TFT expansion. I went on a mini-spree looking for it a couple of months ago. Considering I live within 2 miles of Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart, Fry's, K-Mart, EB Games, AND two local comic/game outlets I found it to be kinda ironic.

I'll search one more time this weekend. Then I'll just order it online.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    juggerbotjuggerbot NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Arikado wrote: »
    I have WC 3 but not TFT expansion. I went on a mini-spree looking for it a couple of months ago. Considering I live within 2 miles of Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart, Fry's, K-Mart, EB Games, AND two local comic/game outlets I found it to be kinda ironic.

Screw searching for it. I'll just order it online.

Fixed.

juggerbot on
  • Options
    M.GorbachevM.Gorbachev Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay. I'll be on Saturday night, and definitely most of Sunday to boot. I've registered an account - ClosetBolshevik - on East also, since the only definitive names given to me so far have been East players.

M.Gorbachev on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What are everyone's account names and which server are you guys on?

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Name: Fiaryn
    Server: US West

Hope to see you lot in the PA channel some time. Get some games goin'. :)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Anyone online now?

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmm, I was just thinking... And I'm ashamed of myself for this

Do we have any Dota players here? The worst part about that game is that it's community makes counterstrike players look like top-of-the-class graduates from finishing school.

This may be something for another thread as this one seems to be more about non-custom maps... but I think if we could either get enough people for a 5person team or even better enough for 5v5 PA games there would be much merriment to be had

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    juggerbot wrote: »
    Arikado wrote: »

Screw searching for it. I'll just order it online.

Fixed.

Done...however, stupid online store decided to send it via DHL...which means I'm in when it arrives uhm...the 14th.

Enough time to actually find my install discs...

Arikado on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I didn't see it in the first post, which realm do we group up on?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It actually arrived earlier than expected. I will do a few warm up games on my own and I should be noob to go.

But yeah, time and place would be nice.

Arikado on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    Hmm, I was just thinking... And I'm ashamed of myself for this

Do we have any Dota players here? The worst part about that game is that it's community makes counterstrike players look like top-of-the-class graduates from finishing school.

This may be something for another thread as this one seems to be more about non-custom maps... but I think if we could either get enough people for a 5person team or even better enough for 5v5 PA games there would be much merriment to be had

I love DotA a lot more than vanilla TFT, but only with friends. (And vanilla sucks with friends or strangers, it doesn't matter, but I could bitch endlessly about my bad experiences with WC3. Suffice it to say, that PA comic is the story of my entire WC3/TFT career. And even when I won, I didn't actually enjoy it that much, because I find to play well I have to use so much adrenaline it just tires me out.)

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have in my hands 2 copies of WC3, no sign of TFT or the jewel case that has the goddamn CD key on it.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Huzzah, I have recovered my CD keys and TFT CD! I'm now ready for some WC3 action

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Go go Search function!

So, custom maps are a thing a friend and I get into. But going to custom games in Battle.net usually comes up with a metric ton of DotA games going on, and there isn't much exposure for different maps. Anyone here have favored or strongly suggested sites to go to where I'd find custom maps?

I realize this is something I can Google, but I'd like to go off the good word of someone here.

Henroid on