As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    will i ever pass my 100 lb OHP plateu?

how

actually i am just stalling on everything because i'm a fuck up

but
    I walked into my gym today and there were bumper plates that never used to be there before... maybe now would be a good time to finally learn power cleans?

poo
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Shaz you're only fucking up because you are letting yourself. Everyone has the capacity to improve but you've got this perpetual "I'm-going-to-be-a-pussy" mindset, it seems. Granted, I don't know your shit (injuries, etc), but half the battle is the mental aspect.

Whenever I'm about to lift something heavy there is a series of steps I must take to prepare myself. First, get your head in the dang game. Amp yourself in whatever way it takes, and tell yourself failure is impossible. I like to stomp my feet and say to myself "come on faggot, light weight." Before un-racking the weight, grab hold of the barbell and prepare your form. FLEX your muscles as hard as you can before lifting off...this prepares you to handle the stress! Keep your entire arms flexed throughout the whole motion, no part should be limp or else it will be much harder to press the weight.

IMO, the best way to improve your OHP is to stand in front of a mirror, put on your biggest boss face and look yourself in the eyes, flex your muscles like you're trying to attract the ladies, and then throw that fucker in the air. After, let out a big shit-eating grin while you hold the weight overhead. Rinse, repeat.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    goddamn fuck ohp....at least the plan i'm on now doesn't really have them, ohp just ends up frustrating me

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    I'm getting better in weighted chin ups, and deadlifts, and after a form reset on bench I'm doing well on the bench

It's squats that I'm mostly being reserved with because of the knee

But OHP has been a perpetual problem... it might be that when it gets hard I let the weight come too far forward

I tried the thumbless grip that people suggested, but that did not feel good for me so I kept the thumb back on

I'll just keep at it, it'll work I guess

poo
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Okay, so as far as strength-based exercises go, what would be a good weekly regimen? I know about push-ups, situps, bench press, squats (regular or with a barbell?) and dead lifts have been mentioned, but how much should I do on a daily basis?

And in regards to cardio, would it be better to do both strength and cardio on the same day, or split them so it's one day weights, next day cardio, and so on?

I know the routines, I'm just wondering how many sets and variation I should do each day. Do I also only do different exercises each day, or repeat the same processes?

I'm also looking to see if there's a spare bike available, though that just leads to a further question of how much I should be peddling, how intensely, whether my butt should be off the seat, etc.

Anyone? Just looking for some ideas on what passes for an acceptable daily regimen.

I have a fairly good idea on what to cut back on, now I just need a list of highly recommended regimines.

Also, I assume whenever people talk about squats, they're referring to squatting with weights?

Okay, so as far as strength-based exercises go, what would be a good weekly regimen? I know about push-ups, situps, bench press, squats (regular or with a barbell?) and dead lifts have been mentioned, but how much should I do on a daily basis?

And in regards to cardio, would it be better to do both strength and cardio on the same day, or split them so it's one day weights, next day cardio, and so on?

I know the routines, I'm just wondering how many sets and variation I should do each day. Do I also only do different exercises each day, or repeat the same processes?

I'm also looking to see if there's a spare bike available, though that just leads to a further question of how much I should be peddling, how intensely, whether my butt should be off the seat, etc.

Anyone? Just looking for some ideas on what passes for an acceptable daily regimen.

I have a fairly good idea on what to cut back on, now I just need a list of highly recommended regimines.

Also, I assume whenever people talk about squats, they're referring to squatting with weights?

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki try this

the book is a useful book also, i would recommend it

i haven't done power cleans before but now that my gym has bumpers i want to try them... but you can just um, do rows or weighted chin ups instead?

poo
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Missed my 1+ on Overhead Press this month, so I think I may drop 5/3/1 on that movement for a while. I did make my Deadlift at 365, though. I should make my Bench, too, since that's still well under my 1 RM.

• moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    So I've got something interesting

Back in November(I think) I drove up to my mom's mountain cabin the day after a deadlift workout. During the ride, part of my lower back went numb. It was kind of weird. I moved around and massaged it and it went back to normal. I figured it was due to being in the car seat for many hours.

Yesterday, my lower back went numb sitting in my computer chair for like 20 minutes, also the day after a deadlift workout. It's got me kind of worried!

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    You probably just have back cancer.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm supposedly deadlifting 300 5 times today. That's what my spreadsheet tells me. I want to say fuck you to it and do less, but I'll end up going and trying to do it.

I seriously hate high rep deadlifting, anything above 3 reps and my legs and back just puss right out.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Man, if you think 5 reps is bad I took the 5+ to heart a few times and did 15-rep sets during 5/3/1. That's something that'll leave you ruined.

Damn, son. I'm with Peen, anything above 3 can go to hell. But I'll be re-acquainted wit the old 5-reppers once I get 5/3/1 running. Yippee.

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    Man, if you think 5 reps is bad I took the 5+ to heart a few times and did 15-rep sets during 5/3/1. That's something that'll leave you ruined.

Jesus, how the hell were you walking the next day?

• big lbig l Registered User regular
    Good luck today ninzor!

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I started wieghtlifting and stuff within the last few months because I got tired of being a fatass, so I started lifting some at home at have been going to the gym with my friend who actually knows what he is doing with lifting. Which is nice because I work there so it's free.

Anyway, last week or whatever I got a Fitocracy invite from when I saw...uh, Gabe or Tycho, one of them, talking about it in a newspost. So I've been using that and it seems like a nice way to log all your exercises and to learn new things to try. I've definitely been doing more since I started it, so I think it is helping me. Anyone else here using it?

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

Dude, did you read my post a few pages back? Check out a basic barbell training program like Starting Strength. Most people in here are going to tell you to focus on improving your basic compound lifts, the SS program takes those lifts and arranges them into a neat, easy program for you to follow.

And yes, squats in this context generally refer to weighted low-bar back squats, basically the "default" squat.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited January 2012
    i haven't done power cleans before but now that my gym has bumpers i want to try them... but you can just um, do rows or weighted chin ups instead?

You don't need bumpers for cleans or power cleans, especially if you're just learning how to do them and the weight is low. Don't drop the weight, just lower it down normally.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    Schide wrote:
    Hey guys. I started wieghtlifting and stuff within the last few months because I got tired of being a fatass, so I started lifting some at home at have been going to the gym with my friend who actually knows what he is doing with lifting. Which is nice because I work there so it's free.

Anyway, last week or whatever I got a Fitocracy invite from when I saw...uh, Gabe or Tycho, one of them, talking about it in a newspost. So I've been using that and it seems like a nice way to log all your exercises and to learn new things to try. I've definitely been doing more since I started it, so I think it is helping me. Anyone else here using it?

Yeah there's a few of us. We have an SE++ group.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Lifting again and lost only 25% off my lifts. Kinda happy kinda sad

Schide wrote:

Yeah there's a few of us. We have an SE++ group.

Nifty, I'll join up.

I hope we can clear out enough space in the basement here soon. I have this old exercise bike I want to use but there's no place to put it right now. Then my uncle has this bench that I could really use, and there's even less place to put that...but at least he has heavier plates and a bar I can use now.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    one of my former teammates moved up here to go to school and he's into lifting

goes and competes and shit

so i'm gonna start working out with him, the spreadsheet he sent me sounds like a lot of fun (no it looks like it's gonna be pretty tough after sitting on my ass for a month and a half)

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular

There are so many valid lifting regimens online I despair at the thought of listing them. Starting strength has been mentioned; that's a fine one to follow. Or make your own! Anything is better than nothing.

Stronglifts is another one. Greyskull LP is good.

The basic gist is this: there are many ways to set up your routine. It's going to depend on how you respond to intensity and volume, how well you recover, how well you stick to proper form. Frankly, I could suggest something for you and you may thrive doing the exact opposite. I just don't know. If I were you, I'd start with something simple like one of the three beginning routines I've listed below. Try one of them out for around 6 months. Figure out what you like and don't like. See how your body responds. Once you get a better feel for what works for you, and what your goals are, we may be able to suggest a routine better suited to you. But right now, just try a beginning routine and see how it goes. Don't sweat the details. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a multi decade spanning hobby.

Regarding cardio: it doesn't matter, do whatever you feel like as long as it doesn't hurt you.

Regarding biking: it doesn't matter, do whatever you feel like as long as it doesn't hurt you.

• tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    Anybody live in NYC and know of a good, affordable gym? All I want is a squat rack, a bench, and some dumbbells. And not to pay out the ass for useless stuff.

big l wrote:
    Good luck today ninzor!

Thanks, Big L. :D I think it all went pretty well! Suppose I'll do up a little post meet report...

Weighed in at 69.6kg, got put into the 74kg junior unequipped division.

Managed all 3 attempts on the squat, ending with 142.5kg, which is a new PR. Felt good, and I got quite a few praises on that one.

On the bench, I got red lighted on the first 2 attempts because I wasn't 100% on the commands...first I pressed too early, and second attempt I racked it too early. So the 3rd, I didn't want to take any risks...put up 97.5kg, but it felt easy so I definitely could've gone higher. Ahh well, next time!

Deadlift was pretty solid, 3 greens, ending on 167.5kg...I know I could've definitely gone higher though, form was solid on the last and it shot up pretty easy.

I'm 100% happy with the squat. I know I could've done better on bench and dead but being the first meet and all, I'm just happy to have gone through the competition. Now I'll know what to expect for next time.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Yeah buddy! That's awesome mate. 7/9 lifts is nothing to sneeze at. You should be proud of that, especially in a first comp.

Bench, more than the others needs competition practice. Not uncommon to miss due to small technical errors so jus bear with it. You posted a total though plus a boss pr on the squat. that's good work.

How did you find the comp itself? Well run?

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    And this popped up in my feed today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Woke up at 5:30am today, gotta get up early to squeeze in my first day of 5/3/1 since I've got a work shift that wouldn't give me time to go after. That's about the perfect video to be watching right now, haha.

TRB: The meet was actually pretty solid, though I noticed it's not uncommon that they run a little late. Everything seemed professional otherwise, and it's awesome that it's just comprised of volunteers. It really is a communal thing.

On a side note it's funny how you'll find the intensity in people at a meet just insanely high but when you talk to them, half are so soft-spoken, and they're all the nicest people you'll ever meet.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    What do you guys mean when you say 5/3/1?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    This. It's a really popular intermediate program, a couple of us are using it. I wouldn't start with it but when your linear gains peter out it's a good program to switch to.

On a related note I just checked and my 5+ this week on press is 120. This may be the cycle where I have to reset my press numbers.

• moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Did two more exercises than usual today

may die

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Okay, need help figuring out a program, I need something to build strength that's extremely low volume/stress. I've been managing to get in pull ups now and then and some light deadlifts but I'm up to training in brazilian jiujitsu, muay thai and a very small bit of wrestling/judo 6 times a week. Lots of push ups, all that goodness at class but very little strength and I feel like by dialing down the intensity in class as I have been I might be able to get some lifting in as well I just don't know how to write a progression program with everything else that won't overdo it. Also, I can't bench right now and if I OHP I have to do it on my knees, the ceiling limits me.

Here's my current training schedule I've been keeping.
    M - 11-1 brazilian jiujitsu, 6-7 wrestling, 7-8 muay thai.
    Tues 6-7 muay thai, 7-9 brazilian jiujitsu ((some days end closer to 8, depends how much I want to free roll))
    W 11-12 brazilian jiujitsu, 6-7 brazilian jiujitsu, 7-8 muay thai sparring
    Thurs 6-7 muay thai, 7-9 brazilian jiujitsu
    Friday Rest, some technique work if I can find someone to come by.
    Saturday 9-10 muay thai, 10-12 brazilian jiujitsu
    Sunday Rest day, usually a good quality beer for lunch.

So that's what I'm working with now, it's very heavy cardio and a good bit of body weight work, I'd like to find a way to work on progression for squats/deadlifts if possible, and I'm doing a push up progression since I don't have a bench available and I need to improve shoulder health and it seems to be helping big.

Thanks ahead of time! Also, before starting the MMA I ended with a best squat of 220X9, deadlift 275X4, I was bulking at the time and was around 217 lbs, now I'm sitting at a much more solid 175-180 depending on the day. You guys rock as always, I love this thread.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Okay, need help figuring out a program, I need something to build strength that's extremely low volume/stress. I've been managing to get in pull ups now and then and some light deadlifts but I'm up to training in brazilian jiujitsu, muay thai and a very small bit of wrestling/judo 6 times a week. Lots of push ups, all that goodness at class but very little strength and I feel like by dialing down the intensity in class as I have been I might be able to get some lifting in as well I just don't know how to write a progression program with everything else that won't overdo it. Also, I can't bench right now and if I OHP I have to do it on my knees, the ceiling limits me.

Here's my current training schedule I've been keeping.
    M - 11-1 brazilian jiujitsu, 6-7 wrestling, 7-8 muay thai.
    Tues 6-7 muay thai, 7-9 brazilian jiujitsu ((some days end closer to 8, depends how much I want to free roll))
    W 11-12 brazilian jiujitsu, 6-7 brazilian jiujitsu, 7-8 muay thai sparring
    Thurs 6-7 muay thai, 7-9 brazilian jiujitsu
    Friday Rest, some technique work if I can find someone to come by.
    Saturday 9-10 muay thai, 10-12 brazilian jiujitsu
    Sunday Rest day, usually a good quality beer for lunch.

So that's what I'm working with now, it's very heavy cardio and a good bit of body weight work, I'd like to find a way to work on progression for squats/deadlifts if possible, and I'm doing a push up progression since I don't have a bench available and I need to improve shoulder health and it seems to be helping big.

Thanks ahead of time! Also, before starting the MMA I ended with a best squat of 220X9, deadlift 275X4, I was bulking at the time and was around 217 lbs, now I'm sitting at a much more solid 175-180 depending on the day. You guys rock as always, I love this thread.

That is a LOT of martial arts, and I really don't know how much lifting you could fit in alongside it. I follow the logs of a couple of judokas, and their lifting is very much instinctual - doing whatever they feel like that day, doing an upper body push and pull, some kind of squat (usually for a bunch of doubles), and some kind of hip hinge movement (lots of KB swings but also sometimes deadlifts), and doing this on their no-judo days. But they are usually doing like 10 hours of martial arts a week, not 15, and they still get at least one day entirely off. So I don't know how the recovery would work for you. Friday would seem to be the day to do it. Following a strict progression is not something they do - they turn the lifting intensity up and down depending on how they feel that day, not based on a strict progression which could get you in recovery trouble. Getting a kettlebell or two might be good for quick home workouts, but those won't get you bigger or stronger and you probably get enough cardio as is. Really the weightlifting should be subordinate to the sport training so I would just fit it in when you can, work your whole body each time, and don't kill yourself.

Edit: The guy whose opinion I would trust the most on this is a guy named Gant Grimes (not Grant, Gant, commonly mistaken), a judoka in Texas who has done a lot of thinking about weight-training, I would send him an email asking him for advice. I think usually he's a pretty nice guy so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has very helpful advice. gantgrimes at gmail.com If you email him and he replies, tell the thread - I'd be interested to hear what he has to say myself. He might not be super sympathetic to the whole "can't bench or standing press" thing but we'll see.

big l on
    squats
    warmup
    10 x 135
    4 x 6 x 245

deadlift
    5 x 225
    3 x 3 x 315

3 x 8 one legged squats
    4 x 8 t-bar rows
    3 x 12 weighted crunches

fuck me i'm tired

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    So, I've been kind of taking last week and this week as a chance to just do the big lifts and then spend the rest of my time doing whatever I feel like.

Today was bench, followed by SLDL, Zercher squats, standing pull downs, hanging leg raises, decline crunches, and cable flies.

My core is gonna hurt in the morning.

the guy i'm lifting with now was like "you wanna do sheiko in a few months?" with the biggest fucking smile on his face

asshole

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Uncle Long wrote:
    So, I've been kind of taking last week and this week as a chance to just do the big lifts and then spend the rest of my time doing whatever I feel like.

Today was bench, followed by SLDL, Zercher squats, standing pull downs, hanging leg raises, decline crunches, and cable flies.

Zerchers are great, but evil.

I'm purchasing a gym membership next month at a place called Lifetime Fitness.

http://clubs.lifetimefitness.com/Goodyear-Palm-Valley/11203/

In the meantime, I'm running to stay in shape. My fat ass has run 6 miles in 3 days.

I realized I was bitching about the 300x5 and never said if I did it. I did, I threw up in my mouth a little bit but I did it.

Also fuck rack pulls. They hit my sticking point, which is why I do them, but it's so much easier for me to get acceleration off the floor than to start at the knees.

Slider wrote:
    Uncle Long wrote:

Zerchers are great, but evil.

I'm purchasing a gym membership next month at a place called Lifetime Fitness.

http://clubs.lifetimefitness.com/Goodyear-Palm-Valley/11203/

In the meantime, I'm running to stay in shape. My fat ass has run 6 miles in 3 days.

Damn, that gym looks nice. We don't have a rock wall here :(

Not that I could actually climb but it would be kind of cool just to have...oh wait I'd have to clean it. Nevermind!

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    big l wrote:
    That is a LOT of martial arts, and I really don't know how much lifting you could fit in alongside it. I follow the logs of a couple of judokas, and their lifting is very much instinctual - doing whatever they feel like that day, doing an upper body push and pull, some kind of squat (usually for a bunch of doubles), and some kind of hip hinge movement (lots of KB swings but also sometimes deadlifts), and doing this on their no-judo days. But they are usually doing like 10 hours of martial arts a week, not 15, and they still get at least one day entirely off. So I don't know how the recovery would work for you. Friday would seem to be the day to do it. Following a strict progression is not something they do - they turn the lifting intensity up and down depending on how they feel that day, not based on a strict progression which could get you in recovery trouble. Getting a kettlebell or two might be good for quick home workouts, but those won't get you bigger or stronger and you probably get enough cardio as is. Really the weightlifting should be subordinate to the sport training so I would just fit it in when you can, work your whole body each time, and don't kill yourself.

Edit: The guy whose opinion I would trust the most on this is a guy named Gant Grimes (not Grant, Gant, commonly mistaken), a judoka in Texas who has done a lot of thinking about weight-training, I would send him an email asking him for advice. I think usually he's a pretty nice guy so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has very helpful advice. gantgrimes at gmail.com If you email him and he replies, tell the thread - I'd be interested to hear what he has to say myself. He might not be super sympathetic to the whole "can't bench or standing press" thing but we'll see.

Awesome thanks will send him an e-mail! Yeah I work in some weight training sporadically when I can, it's tough to figure out a way to progress though. I lift with a buddy who plays hockey and he just stays at the same weight and then tries to gain strength during the off season but with this I don't have an off season, just some injury time here and there. I can bench just mainly been focused on push ups to work on overall posture since I had about a decade of sitting on ass. Only OHPs I can do are on the knees though, I hit the ceiling too easily otherwise.

I'll keep ya updated!

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
This discussion has been closed.