As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Haha sounds like a sweet day, TRB.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Ugh, payback is a bitch though. This is some of the worst DOMS I've had in years.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Weighed myself for the first time in a longgg time. At 5'6.5", I weigh 175. Gonna ride GOMAD to at least 185. With my new belt and Rogues, I'd like to get my squat up to at least 315x5 before ending LP. Eating myself sick gives me some twisted satisfaction.

• Options
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Weighed myself for the first time in a longgg time. At 5'6.5", I weigh 175. Gonna ride GOMAD to at least 185. With my new belt and Rogues, I'd like to get my squat up to at least 315x5 before ending LP. Eating myself sick gives me some twisted satisfaction.

Right on. I got 9kg room to play with before I hit the ceiling of this weight class and winter is closing in rapidly. It's bulk time.

4kg of whey arrived today. Giant burritos for dinner. Feeling good

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    New press PR yesterday, hoisted 150x1 like a boss. I'll lift my own weight over my head, someday.

• Options
    Frat GuiseFrat Guise Registered User regular
    New press PR yesterday, hoisted 150x1 like a boss.

Nice! I've decided to press 2x per week, every week, for a while until I hit a similar BW press goal.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    i wonder what the carryover is for push press to overhead...the leg drive helps a lot, of course, but at the end of the day you're still putting up big weight overhead.

congratulations, @Peen!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    What do you weigh? My 200 lbs. won't be impressive in the grand scheme but it still sounds like a lot to me, considering nobody else presses heavy at my gym.

• Options
    Frat GuiseFrat Guise Registered User regular
    i wonder what the carryover is for push press to overhead...

A lot of super strong people swear by the push press, but my forearms are too long and my shoulder mobility too shitty to do it productively.
    What do you weigh?

A paltry 215 lbs. at the moment, needed abz for an upcoming vacation.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    What do you weigh? My 200 lbs. won't be impressive in the grand scheme but it still sounds like a lot to me, considering nobody else presses heavy at my gym.

Nice. A bw press is a good milestone. And 200lb ain't nothing to sneeze at either, especially if you're keeping it reasonably strict.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular

Nice. A bw press is a good milestone. And 200lb ain't nothing to sneeze at either, especially if you're keeping it reasonably strict.

I'll say. pressing is hard. I've been lifting weights for... 6 years now. I don't have spectacular lifts by any means, I think all of my lifts fall somewhere between intermediate and advanced on those charts. And at 190 BW, I can only strict press 150lbs on a decent day. My arbitrary long term goal in weight lifting is a 5 plate dead, 4 plate squat, 3 plate bench, 2 plate press.

I've been close to the squat and bench, but I feel nowhere near the dead or press goal.

• Options

A 200 strict press is a damn good lift, especially if you're around only 200 lbs. I have the picture of Bill Starr pressing 350 in the gym hanging up next to my bed, you gotta respect the press.

• Options
    Well shoot, now I'll have to press 200 sometime just because you all think I will. First bro in the thread with a bodyweight press wins!

I also have this fantasy that someday I'll get into strongman stuff a bit and press is a key there. I know people in the powerlifting scene don't emphasize press because it isn't a competition lift but I like it, it just feels cool.

• Options
    Well shoot, now I'll have to press 200 sometime just because you all think I will. First bro in the thread with a bodyweight press wins!

I also have this fantasy that someday I'll get into strongman stuff a bit and press is a key there. I know people in the powerlifting scene don't emphasize press because it isn't a competition lift but I like it, it just feels cool.

It's a badass lift. This article by Starr really does it justice: http://startingstrength.com/articles/stronger_press_starr.pdf

I'm going for a 300# press, but I have an unhealthy disrespect for my body, so I'll hit it by any means possible (minus steroids, obviously). It's nice to have a really big number far in the distance to shoot for.

Strongman stuff is awesome. Train hard, Peen!

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    My highest strict press was 160lbs. I was actually a little shocked when I did it with how smooth it went up.

I weigh 205lbs, though. I have a ways to go.

• Options
    Frat Guise wrote: »
    i wonder what the carryover is for push press to overhead...

A lot of super strong people swear by the push press, but my forearms are too long and my shoulder mobility too shitty to do it productively.
    What do you weigh?

A paltry 215 lbs. at the moment, needed abz for an upcoming vacation.

i think i could press 185 - 205 in highschool @ 225

pushpress i got up to 275, which was also my max for cleans

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    I managed a 155lb press PR when I was ~150lbs BW...nothing to write home about but it definitely feels good to hit that milestone.

Also my first 2 days back in the gym after a terrible week off. Feeling like throwing up after both workouts is not a good welcome back, s'pose I got to ease back into things

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Finished my workout for today, shit felt good after things were a little 'meh' Friday. The Squats may not be heavy enough but I'd like to try and keep from switching my weights around in the middle of the routine if I can help it. Oof... the Seated Press though, burned up my arms good.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    squats 4x5x335 and threw in an extra set of 5x355

deadlifts 4x6x335. did reverse hypers, powercleans, tried to do leg curls but calves cramped, lat pulldown

tired.

• Options
    Realizing that's one thing I've not seen anyone talk about. Should my sets be done one after another? Or should I rest between them? I've been waiting a bit between sets to get a few good full breaths in.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Yeah I've started doing more OHP's in my new program, really wanna beef it up. I think my 1RM is around 70kg on a good day. Bodyweight 94kg. Huuurgh.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    Realizing that's one thing I've not seen anyone talk about. Should my sets be done one after another? Or should I rest between them? I've been waiting a bit between sets to get a few good full breaths in.

just a couple of minutes. 2-3 since you're just starting out.

• Options
    Minutes? Huh... I've been waiting at best 20 seconds if I'm really feeling it. Guess I should wait a little more.

• Options
    well if you're froggy enough to do another set after 20 seconds you should up the weight

• Options
    I think I'll take it careful, especially for the squats and presses though. I don't exactly have a place to just set the bar if my arms decide to scream at me. Seated OHP especially.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    It took awhile, but I'm finally back up to 295x2 on powercleans.

It took my lifting buddy telling me to man up. I was pretty comfortable at 285

• Options
    edited March 2012
    nice shit, J

i had to talk shit to one of my training partners today to get him to focus on hitting his 585 squat after he missed it the first attempt

our other training partner meanwhile was smoking his squats except once where his chest caved forward but i got him righted and he finished his set. i was yelling all manners of profanity and encouragement as i spotted. i think i cleared the weight room out. oops.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    I dropped like 25 lbs on squats this week, but its the last week in a damn heavy cycle and I think my body is just about maxed. I need the unload week next week pretty badly.

Also proper squat spotting technique includes colorful language.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    actually had to bail some old dude off the bench today

the superheavy i had to bail 2 or 3 times out of squats, his suit wasn't sitting right, he'd get stuck coming out of the hole

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    This is ordinarily where I'd playfully say that suits are for babies and girls but I don't want some giant texan knocking down my door and squashing me.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I accidentally loaded 4x44 instead of 4x33's

in other news 2 reps of 198 :P

• Options
    I think I'll take it careful, especially for the squats and presses though. I don't exactly have a place to just set the bar if my arms decide to scream at me. Seated OHP especially.

Yea, you want the weight to be heavy enough that you can do 4 reps but going beyond 6 is unthinkable. Then rest 2-3 minutes, maybe up to 5 minutes for squats (if you had a squat rack that is, Cause I don't think you do, right?). If you are just plowing through your workout in 12 minutes then the weight isn't nearly enough to benefit from. You'd be better off wrestling your dog for those 12 minutes. I don't mean to say that you are wasting your time though, you could be working on perfecting form which is super cool. Just.. up the weight a bit.

• Options
    This is ordinarily where I'd playfully say that suits are for babies and girls but I don't want some giant texan knocking down my door and squashing me.

I don't think lifting equipped is for me. If other people wanna, that's fine.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »

Yea, you want the weight to be heavy enough that you can do 4 reps but going beyond 6 is unthinkable. Then rest 2-3 minutes, maybe up to 5 minutes for squats (if you had a squat rack that is, Cause I don't think you do, right?). If you are just plowing through your workout in 12 minutes then the weight isn't nearly enough to benefit from. You'd be better off wrestling your dog for those 12 minutes. I don't mean to say that you are wasting your time though, you could be working on perfecting form which is super cool. Just.. up the weight a bit.

Beyond 6 reps is unthinkable? I'm all for strength-oriented weightlifting workouts, but that's being a bit silly.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well going by his recent posts all of Arthil's lifts are under 50 lbs, so it's sound advice. Even if its just to find out what that weight is

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Buddies wrote: »

Beyond 6 reps is unthinkable? I'm all for strength-oriented weightlifting workouts, but that's being a bit silly.

What is silly about that? He is doing a Starting Strength type routine, which for most lifts is 3 sets of 5 reps. If he is doing 5 reps with a weight he can really do 12 reps or more of (evident by that he is able to do sets back-to-back-to-back) then he will not be seeing the type of progress he is looking for. To get the type of progress he wants, at least I suspect he wants, then he needs to lift a weight that he can't do more than 6 reps with and rest for a 3-5 minutes and do it 2 more times.

That's not to say that the weight should cause failure at 4 or 5 reps or even 6 reps. But the weight should cause failure at the 7th rep, and he should do 3 sets of 5 reps with that weight.

Buddies on
  • Options
    If he's doing a strength routine, he should take as much time as he need between sets. If he ups the weight at the right rate, he'll reach a point where he completes a difficult five, and has to rest 3+ minutes. He'll get there soon enough, just keep upping it.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    You know how sometimes after a break from the gym you'll come back all rested and blast through everything?

Well that is not what happened this time, five weeks off (for various reasons, some justified, some not) and it was hard hard work. Only lifting 2/3s of what I was up to before and it was still hard.

Oh well, it'll come back quickly enough.

• Options
    Yeah it will, just go in and blast and you'll have it back in no time.

I'm still trying to do more conditioning and less lifting so I can be pretty this summer, I'm thinking I might try some higher volume arm stuff to build some better guns. My legs and ass grow like whoa, no convincing needed, but my arms are (typically I guess) less easy to get hyooge. We'll see how it goes.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Yeah it will, just go in and blast and you'll have it back in no time.

I'm still trying to do more conditioning and less lifting so I can be pretty this summer, I'm thinking I might try some higher volume arm stuff to build some better guns. My legs and ass grow like whoa, no convincing needed, but my arms are (typically I guess) less easy to get hyooge. We'll see how it goes.

Peen, just know, in your heart of hearts, no matter how hard you try

you will never be as pretty as Duck.

This discussion has been closed.