When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

19192949697100

Posts

  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Woo midnight shifts. That means my diet is going to be crap for the next week unless my wife nags on me, BUT, I wont have to weight for a squat rack at 7 in the morning when I get off work.

    My weight has gone up from about 210-215 to about 225-230. My pants arent tighter, but some of my t-shirts are. So, thats a good thing I guess?

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Gonna fill the basement with all the fans tomorrow.

    All the fans.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    getting back into working out again has made me antsy

    sitting at my desk is hard and annoying

    also i am thinking of buying one of these http://www.amazon.com/The-Grid-Revolutionary-Foam-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340920326&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+roller cuz i need to work on that stuff really badly more than just when i go to the gym, especially with fixing my legs (doc also recommended more foam rolling)
    is that a good one to buy
    it has good reviews
    Those are always the best ones

  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    getting back into working out again has made me antsy

    sitting at my desk is hard and annoying

    also i am thinking of buying one of these http://www.amazon.com/The-Grid-Revolutionary-Foam-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340920326&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+roller cuz i need to work on that stuff really badly more than just when i go to the gym, especially with fixing my legs (doc also recommended more foam rolling)
    is that a good one to buy
    it has good reviews

    I have the black one of those, I like it, kinda wish it was a bit tougher but at this point I like rolling with a piece of pvc pipe. It's a good buy.

    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

    I love south american ground karate
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    SoloX wrote: »
    the wook wrote: »
    another creatine q:
    does it need to be taken every day to be effective

    Creatine can be cycled. I believe the most common cycle is 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off. During any given cycle, you should take it every day.

    You do not need to cycle. Just read on http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

    Hi @Sol, I've already been pimping out your site in this thread. Did you make an account when you saw referrer traffic?

    Apparently creatine doesn't necessarily have to be loaded.

  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    165lb x1 OHP today. I'm slightly less weak than I used to be!

  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    Congrats TB, that's a nice press.

  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    If I don't win our DL race, I plan on winning our unofficial OHP race, haha.

    Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Speaking of deadlifts, my still going heavy(.. for me anyway) for them but doing a lighter weight+more reps thing for everything else wont throw anything off will it?

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    If I don't win our DL race, I plan on winning our unofficial OHP race, haha.

    Man screw you, I'm winning all of the races. What're we racing to in OHP?

    Also your lifts shouldn't even count because you're lifting those communist KG things and I'm not sure they're real.

  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    #32 on the list of things I hate about crossfit
    "Oh this kettlebell? Its 1.5 poods"

    Because having 2 measurements of weight just wasn't enough

  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    If I don't win our DL race, I plan on winning our unofficial OHP race, haha.

    Man screw you, I'm winning all of the races. What're we racing to in OHP?

    Also your lifts shouldn't even count because you're lifting those communist KG things and I'm not sure they're real.

    Haha, you probably already win all of our races anyway in terms of bodyweight ratios. I don't really have a particular goal I want to hit for OHP like I do for DL/SQ/BP, but I'd be pretty chuffed with an 80kg x1 OHP in the next few months (175lbs).

  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    CangoFett wrote: »
    #32 on the list of things I hate about crossfit
    "Oh this kettlebell? Its 1.5 poods"

    Because having 2 measurements of weight just wasn't enough

    I had to google "pood". I'd heard the term before, but always thought it was a joke or something.

    Trust crossfitters to start using an antiquated unit of kettlebell measurement from the USSR.

  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku Registered User regular
    Fuckin' crossfitters eh?

    Kippin' like monkeys all day long.

    Thinking of just whacking 20kg on my DL max tomorrow to see what happens. I kind of feel like I could get it up. But i'll probs snap first.

  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    I lost all my interest in crossfit when I saw people doing one legged overhead squats for time.

  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I lost all my interest in crossfit when I saw people doing one legged overhead squats for time.

    My friend who's the orthopaedic surgeon loves all the crossfitters. I just view it as the Tae-Bo of the 2000s.

  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    TIL Tae-bo may have been bad on your joints?

    Also, that feeling the first time you have enough weight on the bar that when you get under it, it bends ever so slightly due to the weight. Sure its like, a 1 degree bend, if that, but clearly I have performed a feat unknown to any other person I dont care what you say im the strongest.

  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    If I don't win our DL race, I plan on winning our unofficial OHP race, haha.

    Man screw you, I'm winning all of the races. What're we racing to in OHP?

    Also your lifts shouldn't even count because you're lifting those communist KG things and I'm not sure they're real.

    Haha, you probably already win all of our races anyway in terms of bodyweight ratios. I don't really have a particular goal I want to hit for OHP like I do for DL/SQ/BP, but I'd be pretty chuffed with an 80kg x1 OHP in the next few months (175lbs).

    I doubt it, are you that much heavier than me? I hover around 90 kilos, I'm short but I'm thick (:winky:).

  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    If I don't win our DL race, I plan on winning our unofficial OHP race, haha.

    Man screw you, I'm winning all of the races. What're we racing to in OHP?

    Also your lifts shouldn't even count because you're lifting those communist KG things and I'm not sure they're real.

    Haha, you probably already win all of our races anyway in terms of bodyweight ratios. I don't really have a particular goal I want to hit for OHP like I do for DL/SQ/BP, but I'd be pretty chuffed with an 80kg x1 OHP in the next few months (175lbs).

    I doubt it, are you that much heavier than me? I hover around 90 kilos, I'm short but I'm thick (:winky:).

    205 pounds, 6'1".

    I'm pressing 170 on Monday.

    eff you guys!

  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I still think there's some good ideas in crossfit, it's just gotten overtaken with crazy the more it's gone mainstream. Seems like a lot of early supporters of it have backed away from it a lot because of that.

    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    CFN: RoboWizard
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku Registered User regular
    I dunno. It's just cardio with weights right? Seems like there are better ways to get fit that are less likely to fuck you up.

  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    I have what might be a silly question. Is there a difference between Romanian Deadlifts and Stiff/Straight Leg Deadlifts?

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Not that anyone can really agree on

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    Mogs wrote: »
    I have what might be a silly question. Is there a difference between Romanian Deadlifts and Stiff/Straight Leg Deadlifts?

    The way I differentiate them in my head is that often people will pull RDLs off of a waist high rack and go down as far as their hamstring flexibility allows, not necessarily all the way to the floor. It also seems like a lot of people don't lock their knees but keep them slightly bent. The folks that I've seen do SDLs will pull them off the floor like a regular deadlift and they will lock their knees. But like Tube said, it's pretty fuzzy.

  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    There isn't an agreed upon difference between the two exercises that I'm aware of, but even if there were, it still wouldn't matter which one you did. They would both target primarily the hamstrings and the glutes, with some overall posterior chain strength and core stabilization thrown in the mix.

  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    I figured as much. I'm debating throwing them into my routine somehow, since I seem to have the opposite problem of folks here: my hamstrings are extremely flexible (I'm bendy in general - part of the reason I started strength training). Would adding them in on my regular deadlift days be a good way to go about doing that, or is there another (perhaps better?) time to do them?

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Felt good to do my squats again today, decided... against the 3x15 and went with 3x10 instead, with plenty of rest between sets. Too damn hot to be rushing anything today.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    If I don't win our DL race, I plan on winning our unofficial OHP race, haha.

    Man screw you, I'm winning all of the races. What're we racing to in OHP?

    Also your lifts shouldn't even count because you're lifting those communist KG things and I'm not sure they're real.

    Haha, you probably already win all of our races anyway in terms of bodyweight ratios. I don't really have a particular goal I want to hit for OHP like I do for DL/SQ/BP, but I'd be pretty chuffed with an 80kg x1 OHP in the next few months (175lbs).

    I doubt it, are you that much heavier than me? I hover around 90 kilos, I'm short but I'm thick (:winky:).

    I'm pretty close to 100kg now (98.5 - 99.5 is my current fluctuation).

  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    So I tried the Jefferson lift from this article tonight at the gym. I have never felt such an immediate burn in my sides. 3x6 @ 175.

  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    So, Jamie from Chaos and Pain did a bunch of gay porn and is answering questions about it over at reddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/fitnesscirclejerk/comments/vslgg/jamie_lewis_responds/

    I did not see that one coming.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Someone mentioned something on there about Kroc being a crossdresser too. Takes all sorts, maybe the stereotypical views of weight training are changing.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I'm going to do a session working on power cleans today as I'm utter shite at them. I'll go over the chapter in Starting Strength again but I'm wondering if anyone has any specific tips/cues for fixing up a poor clean? The most obvious problem I've been able to spot is that I haven't been touching my thighs with the bar on the way up so once the weight gets heavy enough it has no chance of going up.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Once the bar is past your knees you should be thrusting your hips in and up as hard as you can. That's all there really is to it. Once you do it you'll go "oh right, like that" and find it hard to imagine that you didn't do that the whole time. Hit the bar with your hips.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    So, Jamie from Chaos and Pain did a bunch of gay porn and is answering questions about it over at reddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/fitnesscirclejerk/comments/vslgg/jamie_lewis_responds/

    I did not see that one coming.

    Haha yeah that certainly came out of nowhere, though I'm not sure I'm entirely surprised.

    Also it feels weird seeing a link to FCJ posted outside of reddit.

  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Can you elaborate on the "in" part of thrusting the hips in and up?

    I once learned, using the idea that the bar hits your hips, but it always sent the bar outwards in an arc rather than straight up, which I've been led to believe is bad because it's a pretty inefficient bar path.

  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned something on there about Kroc being a crossdresser too. Takes all sorts, maybe the stereotypical views of weight training are changing.

    Jamie Lewis is the one who mentioned it. It's because a photo was posted the other day of Kroc in jeans and a t-shirt, barefoot, and his toenails were painted.

  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Painting toenails is cross dressing now?

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Can you elaborate on the "in" part of thrusting the hips in and up?

    I once learned, using the idea that the bar hits your hips, but it always sent the bar outwards in an arc rather than straight up, which I've been led to believe is bad because it's a pretty inefficient bar path.

    It's been my experience that you don't really hit the bar with your hips, you just try to in order to get enough hip drive. The degree to which you'd hit the bar wouldn't be enough to effect the bar path in any meaningful way anyway. I can only really tell you the way I learned though. If bar path is a problem for you try turning your elbows out more in the starting position.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    TheStig wrote: »
    Painting toenails is cross dressing now?

    Well no he actually did apparently cross-dress too for some reason or other, didn't really research it further.

    Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Can you elaborate on the "in" part of thrusting the hips in and up?

    I once learned, using the idea that the bar hits your hips, but it always sent the bar outwards in an arc rather than straight up, which I've been led to believe is bad because it's a pretty inefficient bar path.

    It's been my experience that you don't really hit the bar with your hips, you just try to in order to get enough hip drive. The degree to which you'd hit the bar wouldn't be enough to effect the bar path in any meaningful way anyway. I can only really tell you the way I learned though. If bar path is a problem for you try turning your elbows out more in the starting position.

    Yeah I figured as much. Basically, I had someone attempt to teach me, but they made it sound like your hips/thighs need to physically hit the bar, causing it to travel outwards, which seemed kinda dumb to me because it totally changed the bar path. So I didn't really take much stock in their methods, I've just been learning off videos etc. I'll be attending a seminar in September anyway so that will hopefully shed some light.

This discussion has been closed.