As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sherlock] Lives: Season 3 January 2014

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Also, I'd like to add that if I were Martin Freeman, I'd probably be slightly offended at how they depict my nose in this.

I saw a manga version of Star Wars once. Specifically the prequels.

Everyone was a horrible manga face except Liam Neeson.

It turns out you cannot overly exaggerate the facial features of Liam Neeson. You just end up with Liam Neeson.

Something about this is just unspeakably fantastic.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, but with the return or Moriarty it's, as I saw someone else coin it, Moffat's tumblr of fan fiction now. Hopefully they nix that or do something less fan fictiony with it.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yeah, but with the return or Moriarty it's, as I saw someone else coin it, Moffat's tumblr of fan fiction now. Hopefully they nix that or do something less fan fictiony with it.

I, for one, welcome Moffat fan fiction.

Especially if it gives us more Andrew Scott.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I really liked the first two seasons, but the third was meh. Too much teasing the fangirls, too little detecting.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I really liked the first two seasons, but the third was meh. Too much teasing the fangirls, too little detecting.

And they wrote themselves into a corner and gave us "I dunno! Maybe? Oh, the government wouldn't just bump the guy off on their own, no siree! ZOMBIE SURPRISE!" as a cop out.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I just watched the premier to season three last night and thought it was pretty good. Nowhere near as good as the first two seasons, but still pretty fun. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I liked season three. It was a bit different than the first two seasons but I think it was designed that way. Sherlock came home expecting everything to be the same only to find that John has moved on. Even though they still go on cases together, it's not like it was and Sherlock was trying to deal with the fact that he's alone now.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The second episode was both remarkably adorable and remarkably depressing.

I liked that one a lot.

• Options
    Finished season three last night. It was probably my least favorite season as a whole, but the second episode, the sign of three, was one of my favorite episodes of the series. It was, as @DemonStacey said, both adorable and depressing. But watching Sherlock try and speak his feelings while trying to solve the mystery was amazing. How he handled it throughout truly shows how important John's friendship is to him.

Also, The Last Vow was interesting and a bit bizarre. I was heartbroken for John in that one, but I'm glad he chose to move past it. I like how he came to the realization that he is he attracted to dangerous people, even if he wasn't doing it on purpose.

All in all, my favorite seasons are in this order: Two, One, Three

But my top three episodes of the series are probably: A Study in Pink, A Scandal in Belgravia, and The Sign of Three

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This is a good show that I only just now discovered on Netflix.

I really dug the guy they got to play Moriarty. The season 2 conclusion was just perfect.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Hey, I was just thinking about this show. Does anyone know if we're getting season 4 this January, or in 2016?

sig.gif
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    They're getting ready (preproduction now, filming in Jan) for a Christmas special that will air Christmas 2015. It's a full 90 minute episode based loosely on:
    The Blue Carbuncle

and then season 4 proper will air later in 2016.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Am I right that Magnussun is Hannibal's brother?

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    While I like Andrew Scott and love his Moriarty in the S1 finale, I felt that S2 went back to the well too much. Moriarty's "I will burn the heart out of you!" was frightening; in S2 he turned too much into the camp villain, losing that scary edge IMO.

I would also defend S3. It's the bumpiest, and to my mind the first episode suffers from S2's impossible cliffhanger, trying to both please and make fun of the fans and getting neither quite right. I loved the second episode, though; I greatly enjoyed how it plays with the format, the characters, the conventions of wedding episodes etc. It was a fun, psychedelic wild ride.

I'll have to rewatch S3 and especially the finale to make up my mind, but I am rather worried about
    them bringing back Moriarty, because I think it'll take even crazier storytelling acrobatics of the sort that they didn't quite pull off to bring Sherlock back from the dead. Here's hoping we won't come away from S4 thinking that they should've ended earlier.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Might wanna spoiler that last paragraph.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Spoilers for end of Season 3:
    All we saw was Moriarty's face being crudely animated on a screen. It could be a copycat, it could be Mycroft making the government release Sherlock out of fear, it could be Sherlock himself making up a case to prove that the government needs him. Moriarty doesn't need to come back from the dead at all.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Might wanna spoiler that last paragraph.
    Thanks! Have done so.
    Spoilers for end of Season 3:
    All we saw was Moriarty's face being crudely animated on a screen. It could be a copycat, it could be Mycroft making the government release Sherlock out of fear, it could be Sherlock himself making up a case to prove that the government needs him. Moriarty doesn't need to come back from the dead at all.
    Apparently it's confirmed that Andrew Scott is back for S4, although that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be back in person as a living, breathing adversary. Regardless of this, if he is in the new season, I hope they balance the camp element with his potential for being frightening. Just as with Doctor Who's Missy, even if the actors are great fun to watch, I get tired of villains that are reduced to one setting: smug.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Yep

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I just watched the wedding episode last night and I think it's my absolute favorite of the entire series so far.
    Drunk Sherlock looking around at stuff and only seeing places to sleep was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television.

• Options
    I actually enjoyed all of season 3 more than it seems most did.

However, I agree, The Last Vow was without a doubt, one of the best episodes of Sherlock. It really gave us a unique look inside Sherlock's mind and just how important Watson's friendship with him is. It was an amazing episode.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Season one had a mediocre episode, season two had a bad episode and season three had an absolute stinker of an episode. The others have ranged from very good to absolutely corking.

It's not a bad hit rate.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I loved all of season 3.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    I liked season 3, but I felt the ending was a bit too obvious.
    "So you see, all the information I use to blackmail the entire free world only exists inside my head."
    "All of it?"
    "Yes."
    "Nothing written down anywhere?"
    "Nope."
    "You're really saying that everything that makes you a threat only exists inside your head?"
    "Yup."
    "So... if something were to happen to your head you'd be done for good and your entire evil empire would come crumbling down?"
    "Hehe yeah I'd be so screwed if that were to happen."
    "Your unprotected head that's standing still just inches away from the barrel of my gun is really the only resource I need to destroy to save the free world?"
    "Yes, Sherlock, now do you have a point? These silly aimless questions for which I can see no purpose at all are really getting tiresome."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Really? I didn't think it was obvious at all and I was completely shocked when it happened.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Really? I didn't think it was obvious at all and I was completely shocked when it happened.

Really? The moment he showed us his "vault" I knew it was coming. Because it's what I would have done, too... Maybe I'm too much of a sociopath :P

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It was kind of a not great twist. Even if Sherlock didn't do it there was basically nothing stopping a ruthless Mycroft from protecting the realm by offing the sinister foreigner.

I liked that episode, but the ending felt like a beat they wanted to hit but couldn't find a decent justification for.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    One thing about this show that I noticed and love is that there are times when it does not insult your intelligence.

Season...1? Spoilers.
    The episode where Sherlock breaks into the Chinese lady's flat and deduces that the killer is still inside, and is attacked, he opens the door for Watson at the end and pretends as if nothing has happened, even though his voice is still croaky from being strangled. At first I momentarily wondered why he didn't tell Watson about the attack, but then I slapped my forehead. Of course his pride would prevent him from revealing the fact that the killer had gotten the drop on him.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    As an American I assume all problems can be solved that way so I wasn't too shocked.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Should be -sen since he's Danish. -Son is Swedish and -sun isn't as far as I know common in any Scandinavian country.

• Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    "So you see, all the information I use to blackmail the entire free world only exists inside my head."
    "All of it?"
    "Yes."
    "Nope."
    "You're really saying that everything that makes you a threat only exists inside your head?"
    "Yup."
    "So... if something were to happen to your head you'd be done for good and your entire evil empire would come crumbling down?"
    "Your unprotected head that's standing still just inches away from the barrel of my gun is really the only resource I need to destroy to save the free world?"
    "Yes, Sherlock, now do you have a point? These silly aimless questions for which I can see no purpose at all are really getting tiresome."

I actually expected
    the police to gun him down, or at least lock him up somewhere.

With all the state secrets involved that seemed to be the most obvious solution and I actually thought Sherlock shooting him was kind of silly.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    "All of it?"
    "Yes."
    "Nope."
    "Yup."

Ah yes procedurally
    I hated that despite frisking the fuck out of everyone previously the guards just let Watson rock up with a gun for the final scene. That was lame-o.
    [/spoiler

Like Weisskaiser
    I thought that Mycroft was going to order the police to gun him down

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Hey. We're back.

I thought the most recent episode was fantastic, though apparently some people did not.

Discuss.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Hey. We're back.

I thought the most recent episode was fantastic, though apparently some people did not.

Discuss.
    @VishNub I loved it. Nods to Inception going on.
    He keeps 'waking up', why, never resolved (not necessary?), and it's presented with a wink and a knowing smile to the audience.

Great stuff.

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Hey. We're back.

Discuss.
    @VishNub I loved it. Nods to Inception going on.
    He keeps 'waking up', why, never resolved (not necessary?), and it's presented with a wink and a knowing smile to the audience.

Great stuff.

Not the biggest fan of the inception influence.
    Eh, I was far less impressed with the wink, wink stuff. I would have been fine with him waking up at the end of the episode, but instead the last third of the episode is some weird inception like sequence that feels very out of place. The "it's a dream" card gets played too many times and loses it's effectiveness. The scene by the waterfall was horrible and they spend ten minutes stating the obvious like it's some big revelation that the audience was too stupid to know by that point. I also really didn't really like the women's klu klux klan thing. But I guess it doesn't need to make sense because it's all a drug-induced dream anyways?

Honestly I'd jut like a little more time in Sherlock to have fun instead of dealing with profound discoveries and grand plots.

Jediabiwan on
  • Options
    I loved it. I was very pleasantly surprised when the episode went into that direction.
    I would've been fine with a self-contained "what if" story set in the 19th century, but I didn't expect them to actually continue the main plot.

As someone who read quite a few of the original Holmes stories, I also enjoyed all the references to those of course.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I loved it; and more so on a second viewing where I picked up on more stuff, especially early on.

Just an aside: despite how promo pictures on the lengthy run-up to tthis one had me thinking Cumberbatch and Freeman were evoking Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke a bit (which would of course be no bad thing), I didn't get that feeling at all during the episode itself. Which was neither to its advantage nor detriment, of course. It was probably just me projecting a bit on those images.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    ooo!

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Reasonably fun episode. I'm a little invested in how (if) things tie into Moriarty, and I especially liked the bit with Lestrade and Interpol queuing outside the door.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.