As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I disagree. Annie's sexier than Britta! :twisted:

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    "unfiltered"

I get it!

Get what?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I disagree. Annie's sexier than Britta! :twisted:

I completely agree with this, but am still 100% team Britta.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Britta was pretty much the exact same thing for atheist/liberals for a while.

when? the only reaction I recall to anything but shirley's over-religiousness was jeff being taunted for agnosticism.

The group is constantly making fun of her beliefs, even when they agree with her. Britta's their athiest/liberal strawman. She's already had a few story lines that examine why her ideas are silly, like being a protester.

I missed the liberal part when I said that but I still don't recall anything negative said about atheism

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

when? the only reaction I recall to anything but shirley's over-religiousness was jeff being taunted for agnosticism.

The group is constantly making fun of her beliefs, even when they agree with her. Britta's their athiest/liberal strawman. She's already had a few story lines that examine why her ideas are silly, like being a protester.

I missed the liberal part when I said that but I still don't recall anything negative said about atheism

IIRC she was a "bad athiest" since she bugged Shirly over her religious beliefs a little too much. This was dropped after season 1. It's been a while when I watched the first season so I may be wrong.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    yeah I admit I'm also being sort of pedantic here, I get the point entirely.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Harmon just issued a statement regarding the incident on his blog:
    http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/20430020654/not-that-it-helps-but

Synopsis is that he apologizes for playing the voicemail at Harmontown, basically calls himself a dick, and apologizes to the fanbase for potentially harming the show because he didn't think his actions through.

Hopefully we can all put this behind us now.

Also, a promo for Thursday's episode:
    http://community101.tumblr.com/post/20277245911/the-day-the-feathers-flew-community-promo-for

Looks like we're getting a 2 for 1 concept episode; a war episode told in documentary form. Can't wait!

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Synopsis is that he apologizes for playing the voicemail at Harmontown, basically calls himself a dick, and apologizes to the fanbase for potentially harming the show because he didn't think his actions through.

http://community101.tumblr.com/post/20277245911/the-day-the-feathers-flew-community-promo-for

Looks like we're getting a 2 for 1 concept episode; a war episode told in documentary form. Can't wait!

I love it when NBC uses Keith David for voice-overs.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

I love it when anyone uses Keith David's voice for anything, ever. The man could be reading the ingredients off a box of serial and I'd be enthralled.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

jesus loves marijuana

and drinking human blood

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

I love it when anyone uses Keith David's voice for anything, ever. The man could be reading the ingredients off a box of serial and I'd be enthralled.

True.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular

jesus loves marijuana

and drinking human blood
    Get out

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    "Oh look, Britta brought what she believes in... nothing."

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

hehehe. That was a great line.

• Options

this line is more about shirley than britta

still yes a fantastic line

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There are some cast interviews on the hulu page I hadn't noticed before.

• Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "A Fistful of Paintballs"
    "For a Few Paintballs More"
    if, for this season's finale, they do something like "The Good, The Bad and The Chang" I might very well be unable to manage my nerdgasm.

the_Frollo on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Chang-hai Noon

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Chango

Dchango Unchang-ed

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    Once upon a Chang in the West

the mind boggles

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

wait, what is this, what happend? all i can gather is some voicemail from someone and he played it for someone and everyone is pissed? what was on the voicemail exactly?

• Options

wait, what is this, what happend? all i can gather is some voicemail from someone and he played it for someone and everyone is pissed? what was on the voicemail exactly?

Chevy Chase bitching him out.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

Jesus man. Even when Harmon's calling himself a dick he comes across as that much more dickish. Do you think he gets final draft on all these statements himself for the writing credit, or does he just keep a tuneless, self-obsessed teenager on retainer to compose these things for him whenever the need arises? Which, if you've been keeping track, has been pretty damn often.

The thing for Harmon to do--for anyone in that situation to do--was to just retreat into the shadows and simply go back to enjoying his dream job, as well as the multiple millions his unkempt beard pretends he doesn't make. But I guess continuing to be an utter shitlord to fans on twitter and to the cast members themselves is a different way to go with that, so long as you can just hit a reset button with a crafted statement every sixth months or so? Man fuck this guy.

I'm still not at the point where this extracurricular stuff is harming my enjoyment of the show itself, the "curricular" stuff. But I'm getting there. Definitely getting there.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm kind of surprised you feel that way, because I thought it was a pretty classy move for Harmon to apologize to the fans (and, indirectly, to Chevy) for being a dick and not thinking of how his actions might impact the show.

So he's an asshole for apologizing now? How do you figure? This calmed the situation down, and as such, was a very smart move; if you look around online you'll see it's defused most of the conflict and arguments on various message boards and discussion communities. If he'd sat around and done nothing, instead of assuming responsibility onto himself, people would still be fighting and speculating over this.

Also, I'm one of the people who doesn't think that the "Advanced Gay" apology was necessary at all, but whatever.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    I'm kind of surprised you feel that way, because I thought it was a pretty classy move for Harmon to apologize to the fans (and, indirectly, to Chevy) for being a dick and not thinking of how his actions might impact the show.

So he's an asshole for apologizing now? How do you figure? This calmed the situation down, and as such, was a very smart move; if you look around online you'll see it's defused most of the conflict and arguments on various message boards and discussion communities. If he'd sat around and done nothing, instead of assuming responsibility onto himself, people would still be fighting and speculating over this.

Also, I'm one of the people who doesn't think that the "Advanced Gay" apology was necessary at all, but whatever.

If you're asking about my own personal feelings about him, informed by this situation, I don't think Harmon can really "win" with me when it comes to this. Not at this point. He is in damned if you do / damned if you don't mode right now.

That may seem unfair, especially as he desperately tries to win us back with a carefully punctuated olive branch, but that's just the nature of disliking things sometimes. It doesn't always have to be fair. Others undoubtedly feel differently, or perhaps the same way. I know there was support a few pages back for the idea that Harmon was a douche, and there were even some first adopters who honed in on the douchiness long before this incident, like years and years ago. Sign me up, put me on that bandwagon. I see it now. I am with you.

If you're asking about his approach to the situation itself, I think he's misplayed his hand. Silence is your friend there. And a good publicist. This lack of any buffer between the producer and the fans is doing him no favors.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    An artist should never talk to fans. It's a toxic groupthink relationship. Just do your job, shun laud and pretend nobody loves you. Rebuke anyone who dares compliment you; they should know their place. Fans are not and will never really be friends, and they'll turn on you the moment your art becomes stale. Better to be just as prepared to discard them.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    An artist should never talk to fans. It's a toxic groupthink relationship. Just do your job, shun laud and pretend nobody loves you. Rebuke anyone who dares compliment you; they should know their place. Fans are not and will never really be friends, and they'll turn on you the moment your art becomes stale. Better to be just as prepared to discard them.

Right, because it's either this or making fun of your fans on Twitter. There is absolutely no responsible middle ground. You nailed it.

• Options

Right, because it's either this or making fun of your fans on Twitter. There is absolutely no responsible middle ground. You nailed it.

There really isn't any middle ground. The crazy fan or the stupid gaffe inevitably snowballs into family bickering, okay for friends, but not for what are essentially business parties fueled by hype and ideas. It's a time bomb. Penny Arcade already exploded once; there are numerous other examples.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    wait, i don't remember any apology for advanced gay? what happened there?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    wait, i don't remember any apology for advanced gay? what happened there?

He apologized for the fact that the gay characters weren't fleshed out and may've been perceived as caricatures.

I thought it was a very mature response to a valid criticism.

• Options

There really isn't any middle ground. The crazy fan or the stupid gaffe inevitably snowballs into family bickering, okay for friends, but not for what are essentially business parties fueled by hype and ideas. It's a time bomb. Penny Arcade already exploded once; there are numerous other examples.

Oh, you were actually being serious in what I interpreted as a completely sarcastic and hyperbolic comment?

Okay: Strongly disagree. There are plenty of examples of celebrities major and minor already having a sense of economy in dealing with fans, either learned independently or taught to them through social mores or handlers versed in this stuff. And other examples in which they don't, but eventually do find the right equilibrium.

What was your example? Penny Arcade? It's not a good one. For instance, I can go chat with Jerry Holkins at PAX if I want. Then I would stop monopolizing his time, and a couple of minutes later he'd probably swap platitudes with somebody else. But as far as my getting a locket of his hair (you know, again...)? Yeah that's probably a no-no. Equilibrium. Balance. Middle ground. These are real things. Here to help!

• Options
    edited April 2012

Oh, you were actually being serious in what I interpreted as a completely sarcastic and hyperbolic comment?

Okay: Strongly disagree. There are plenty of examples of celebrities major and minor already having a sense of economy in dealing with fans, either learned independently or taught to them through social mores or handlers versed in this stuff. And other examples in which they don't, but eventually do find the right equilibrium.

What was your example? Penny Arcade? It's not a good one. For instance, I can go chat with Jerry Holkins at PAX if I want. Then I would stop monopolizing his time, and a couple of minutes later he'd probably swap platitudes with somebody else. But as far as my getting a locket of his hair (you know, again...)? Yeah that's probably a no-no. Equilibrium. Balance. Middle ground. These are real things. Here to help!

That's not really a fan, that's a friend. You can completely hate PA the comic and still be able to do a one on one talking about the weather or your favorite pencil. Inconsequential stuff. When interacting with a fan community as a whole, it's better not to have real interaction. Give a speech, sign an autograph as an extension of your art presentation. Don't engage in real discussion that may have an impact on your work.

Paladin on
  • Options
    What I'm basically saying here is that you can't be friends with somebody just because they make something that you like. But that's exactly what fans are always trying to do, so it's up to the artist to build a fence to stem the zombie horde. Whenever they indulge their fans, they're taking a risk in order to relieve some of the pressure buildup that threatens the stability of this barrier, and they will eventually lose sight of that and they will have a falling out that hurts everyone in the long run; it's inevitable. Look, but don't touch.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I uh...completely disagree with that entire assessment of how the fan/creator relationship should be handled.

I rather like to discover that the people who create things I like are self-reflecting, flawed, sincere individuals. Not particularly fond of the sterile world created by PR agents, test audiences, and Nielsen ratings. People that make things are allowed to be people in this day and age, and it's kind of absurd to be arguing that they should go back behind the curtain so people can continue to ignore the humanity behind the entertainment.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

jesus loves marijuana

and drinking human blood

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Apologising to the fans but not Chevy is kinda passive-aggressive, don't you think?

'I'm sorry you all had to see what that dick did.'

I would imagine that 'apology' would make Chevy Chase even more angry.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Apologising to the fans but not Chevy is kinda passive-aggressive, don't you think?

'I'm sorry you all had to see what that dick did.'

I would imagine that 'apology' would make Chevy Chase even more angry.

No, he should apologize to Chevy in private, because it's a private matter and he made a mistake by airing it in public in the first place.
    If you're asking about his approach to the situation itself, I think he's misplayed his hand. Silence is your friend there. And a good publicist. This lack of any buffer between the producer and the fans is doing him no favors.

No offense, but you're quite incorrect about that, I think. I frequent a variety of Community discussion groups, and Harmon's apology pretty much put the debate over the controversy to rest. He made the right move.

Not disagreeing that he could use a bit more regulation in his interaction with fans, though, although Harmon should absolutely remain in direct contact with the fanbase. Heavy fan interaction has always been a key part of the show.

Considering how heavy involvement with its fandom is a core element of Community, and has been since Day 1, I couldn't disagree with you more strenuously.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    I uh...completely disagree with that entire assessment of how the fan/creator relationship should be handled.

I rather like to discover that the people who create things I like are self-reflecting, flawed, sincere individuals. Not particularly fond of the sterile world created by PR agents, test audiences, and Nielsen ratings. People that make things are allowed to be people in this day and age, and it's kind of absurd to be arguing that they should go back behind the curtain so people can continue to ignore the humanity behind the entertainment.

The problem is that these same motivations are shared by paparazzi and youtube commenters, and as a "fellow" fan, you can't regulate that

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    He did apologize to Chase, saying that he realizes it wasn't fair to share someone's voicemail to him with those people. Honestly, I don't give a shit about any of this. Chase will probably end up leaving the show, and it'll go on and be funny and succeed or fail on its own merits, and none of this is really going to matter.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    oh great so either show canned or chevy leaves? is that what we really have here?