As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Tanks like spanking.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    I've been wondering about that, since it feels like my talented shield absorbs fuckall and goes away in one hit against anything elite+.

The other stats reduce by a percentage; the shield is probably a static amount. Possibly stat-derived.

It seems to be static amount, yes. It's Power Word: Shield Lite, rather than Block. It absorbs a set amount and then falters, but while it has buffer, it absorbs 100%.

Are you saying even if the shield is only like 2000 damage, if you use it before a 10k hit it'll absorb all 10k? Because if so, that's going to get nerfed. I would love if that's how it works as a Guard tank, but it would just be too strong as a tool if you can predict a big incoming hit.

No no, I mis-worded that. If it's a 2000 absorb, and you get hit for 10k, 2k will get absorbed from that, the rest will be passed on to the shield check, then on to armor reduction.

If it's a 2k shield and you get hit for 1k, it will absorb 100% of that damage.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    I've been wondering about that, since it feels like my talented shield absorbs fuckall and goes away in one hit against anything elite+.

The other stats reduce by a percentage; the shield is probably a static amount. Possibly stat-derived.

According to sithwarrior.com (they have funky formulas, likely from beta), Blade Storm scales with Force Healing bonus extremely tiny (3.27*Force Healing Bonus) with a base value of 1162. In effect, it's going to be absorbing ~1200 damage at 50. No mention as far as I can see as to whether it absorbs all damage while it's up.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Ok, since a lot of basic information is floating around, how about a nice recap, perhaps to put into the OP if it's correct. This is what I picked up so far (Say if there are falsehoods in there):

Tankstats (Armor, Defense and Shield) only protect against white (weapontype) damage. Yellow (all other abilities) attacks are not affected by tankstats at all.
    Talented, Ability and Stance mitigation all do reduce the damage from yellow attacks.
    Direct mitigation (From armor + talents + stance + abilities) is capped at 75%.
    Shield and Shield Absorb are both capped at 50%.
    Since yellow attacks do not look at defense, the cap for accuracy for most of your abilities is 100%. Champion level mobs have 10% defense, so to hit them 100% of the time with white attacks you need 110% accuracy on your white damage.
    There is no way to defend yourself against critical hits.
    There is no penalty for getting hit from behind.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I don't really have time to maintain the OP, so if anyone else wants it, it's all yours.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:

To expand on this slightly, as it might help slightly for tanks to know: the combat system runs off a two-roll format. The first is an Accuracy vs Defense check and if that fails then the target just defends the attack outright. If it succeeds then there is a Critical Hit v Shield roll that determines whether the attack Crits, gets Shielded, or is just a normal attack. It is theoretically possible for one's Critical Hit rating to get so high as to push the Shield Rating off the table, though the dev that outlined this system noted that that requires temporary buffs or skill usages that don't last long.

Characters
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression that shields are the priority is Crit>Shield>Normal. It's mostly a PvP thing though (except that it isn't, because PvP involves yellow attacks mostly, and thus tankstats do nothing anyway), or perhaps a PvE thing for some classes where it figures into maximizing dps output (Since effectively turning a shield into a crit is much more advantageous than turning a normal into a crit, but that cannot happen).

You can be pedantic and say that defense does protect against critical hits, only it does so in a very minor way. If you have 10% more defense, you do take 10% less crits in a two-roll system.

Also, either the tooltip is wrong, or two of the above lines are wrong. (I plucked those from beta theorycraft threads, but saw them repeated elsewhere). I can generate a tooltip with values above 75% for mitigation and above 50% for shields with trinkets. (75.8% and 51.2%, but still)

SanderJK wrote:
    I was under the impression that shields are the priority is Crit>Shield>Normal. It's mostly a PvP thing though (except that it isn't, because PvP involves yellow attacks mostly, and thus tankstats do nothing anyway), or perhaps a PvE thing for some classes where it figures into maximizing dps output (Since effectively turning a shield into a crit is much more advantageous than turning a normal into a crit, but that cannot happen).

They are, Crits are priority over Shields which are priority over a Normal hit. But there was a beta post by a dev that noted that it was possible to push the latter two off the table entirely (obviously, normal hits would be pushed off first):
    We use a two-roll system for determining combat results.

First is a hit roll, accuracy versus defense, and if the attacker misses then no damage occurs. If the attacker rolled poorly enough to miss even discounting the target's defense then a "Miss" result occurs. If he misses because of the defense then the result varies based on the attack type, the cover state of the target, and the target's equipped weapons. All the possible results - Dodge, Parry, Deflect, Resist, Cover - are mathematically the same, but they can trigger different effects and are visualized in different ways.

If the attacker hits, then a second roll is made with the crit chance of the attacker versus the shield chance of the target. If a Crit or a Shield occurs then the damage is adjusted up or down (based on Surge/Absorb), and then it goes through to the armor and damage resistance. A critical can never be shielded, and an attacker with a high enough crit chance can push the target's shield chance off the table. It shouldn't be possible to get your passive crit chance high enough to start pushing off the target's shield chance, but there are short-duration buffs that push these chances high enough to come into conflict.

Suggestion is that it's an incredibly rare situation where you'd be able to remove or potentially remove shield chance.

Characters
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    SanderJK wrote:
    Ok, since a lot of basic information is floating around, how about a nice recap, perhaps to put into the OP if it's correct. This is what I picked up so far (Say if there are falsehoods in there):

Tankstats (Armor, Defense and Shield) only protect against white (weapontype) damage. Yellow (all other abilities) attacks are not affected by tankstats at all.
    Talented, Ability and Stance mitigation all do reduce the damage from yellow attacks.
    Since yellow attacks do not look at defense, the cap for accuracy for most of your abilities is 100%. Champion level mobs have 10% defense, so to hit them 100% of the time with white attacks you need 110% accuracy on your white damage.

Hmm, I would have assumed that, since tech/force (ie. yellow) attacks have an accuracy rating in the tooltip, they could be affected by defence same as melee/ranged (white) attacks.

At the very least, I think it's possible to miss with them, but since the base accuracy for those attacks are already 100%, this is only possible when affected by abilites that lower accuracy (like Powertech's Oil Slick or Gunslinger's/Sniper's Diversion)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote:
    SanderJK wrote:

Hmm, I would have assumed that, since tech/force (ie. yellow) attacks have an accuracy rating in the tooltip, they could be affected by defence same as melee/ranged (white) attacks.

At the very least, I think it's possible to miss with them, but since the base accuracy for those attacks are already 100%, this is only possible when affected by abilites that lower accuracy (like Powertech's Oil Slick or Gunslinger's/Sniper's Diversion)

There IS a resistance percentage if you mouse over your defense number in the character screen, but I haven't seen any stat that brings it anything above 0 percent. So, it seems possible raise resistance to force attacks, but I have no idea what it is.

Well, Shadows/Assassins have an ability that gives them 100% force/tech resist chance. So there is that.

But you're right in that there does not seem to be any item stat that increases it, so unless there is some obscure talent in a skill tree I'm unaware of, the only way to completly avoid a force/tech attack is through temporary abilites that affect your resist or thier accuracy.

steam_sig.png
    There's a 6 minute youtube video out there of a guy with 100% tech accuracy hitting 100% of his attacks on a tanky player. So in PvP at least, the above seems pretty much confirmed. With no combat log and all damage taken by you displayed as red it's hard to say with 100% accuracy that this is exactly the same in PvE, but I haven't seen evidence to the contrary.

It's a bit obtuse that damage actually has 2 damage types (melee/ranged/tech/force(?) and kinetic/weapon/energy/....) and that both are of influence on what defends against it.

Got my first piece of Columni gear just now from my first run of Hard Mode Taral V (speaking of which, the pre-patch last boss was like the perfect training opportunity for the HM version of him as we know exactly when he's going to enrage and about how much DPS we need) and damn do I want both the 2 piece and 4 piece bonus now. One extra second to Blade Tuning with 2 extra seconds on Warding call (for the two piece), and 20% more damage absorbed by Blade Barrier (4 piece)?

Yes please.

Characters
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So, I know this will come across as a wierd question in a tanking thread, but how viable is sith immortal in PVP? Would I be able to tie up a player or two badly enough that I couldn't be ignored?

edited January 2012
    Gaddez wrote:
    So, I know this will come across as a wierd question in a tanking thread, but how viable is sith immortal in PVP? Would I be able to tie up a player or two badly enough that I couldn't be ignored?

A good tank speced anything with a good heal spec anything can hold a door/turret by themselves against practicly anything short of a 3-4 man premade... if they bother working together.

And lets not go into details how much your nigh indestructable, force charging, interceding (at 50) self can ruin the other team's day when you get your hand on the huttball...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I'm a Guardian tank, so the mirror to you, and I can tell you PvPing on it is very fun, as long as you have a healer you're guarding the entire match. If you don't, you're just a guy who does less DPS and dies a bit slower than everybody else. It might as well be 2 different games depending on if you have that healer.

It can definitely be a blast though. You use your stun/choke/push to control people, aoe snare to keep people moving slowly, then you just aoe taunt and single taunt people off your teammates/healer to gimp the other team's damage output. You can also do enough damage to hurt people in an assisting role. I get KBs constantly with Dispatch(the execute lightsaber throw).

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote:

I'm mainly immortal with enough in vengeance for the unstoppable talent.

Tie up a player? Sorta... gotta watch their resolve bar carefully.

People go stupid over a tank though if you do it right... like on voidstar, 5 of their team chasing you away from the door is totally worth it as they tickle away my 22k HP.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Thinking about playing this in the near future. How is the Bounty Hunter? As badass as they look? I'm kinda interested in tanking, but I also like that the Powertech AC has interesting-looking melee DPS. As much as I like Jedi, there seem to be a lot running around, and I haven't been able to find any streams of players playing anything other than Sage/Inquisitor. So I'm curious to see something different in action.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited January 2012
    Thinking about playing this in the near future. How is the Bounty Hunter? As badass as they look? I'm kinda interested in tanking, but I also like that the Powertech AC has interesting-looking melee DPS. As much as I like Jedi, there seem to be a lot running around, and I haven't been able to find any streams of players playing anything other than Sage/Inquisitor. So I'm curious to see something different in action.

I love my Powertech Tank. Soften them with Death from Above, then Jet Charge in, hold them for certain with a Flame Sweep or two, hit the strongest one with a Shoryuken Rocket Punch, followed by a Rail shot, likely another Rocket Punch thanks to a talent skill that can reset it's cooldown, a Heat Blast to keep heat low, then move to the right angle and use your Flame Thrower on the whole lot of 'em. :twisted:

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I am currently a tank specced Jugg and just got the No channeling force choke. So much fun , force choke pommel strike , dead. Move to next . I really am enjoying my jugg though i prolly could be geared much better.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hi everyone. I'm currently trying to plan out my characters, and I know one will be a Jedi Shadow. How viable are Shadows as tanks? I'm looking at the first tree and see a lot of increased damage talents/skills, and some that increase defense, but I'm a bit confused since they still wear light armor...

ringswraith on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Combat Stance gives you a huge bonus to armor.

That said, I'm really, really not enjoying trying to quest with my Shadow at 20. No damage output, too squishy to take hits.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    Combat Stance gives you a huge bonus to armor.

That said, I'm really, really not enjoying trying to quest with my Shadow at 20. No damage output, too squishy to take hits.

Are you specced for tanking or DPS, or is this more of a general comment on the class?

Tanking spec. Original plan was to build a tank, since my friends have a DPS and Healer, but never seem to be on when they are.

If you're levelling as a tank spec, you really want to be running a pure dps companion, but I don't think you get one until your 3rd companion, and even then, he's probably not as good as the final one.

Yeah, I should probably just respec. Or stop playing that character.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Joshmvii wrote:
    If you're levelling as a tank spec, you really want to be running a pure dps companion, but I don't think you get one until your 3rd companion, and even then, he's probably not as good as the final one.

I never used a DPS companion from when I got the 2nd one on Balmorra until now.

I also haven't really died either.

I really wish people would stop saying this shit.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Notice I didn't say anything about dying. I just said if you're levelling as a tank, you should run a dps companion because it's just the best way to go. If you run the healer companion you're going to kill things slow as shit. Everything dies in a hurry if you're tank spec and run a pure dps companion, and at worst you'll have to rest every couple fights for a few seconds.

I spend most of my time in my DPS stance, not my tank stance.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Notice I didn't say anything about dying. I just said if you're levelling as a tank, you should run a dps companion because it's just the best way to go. If you run the healer companion you're going to kill things slow as shit. Everything dies in a hurry if you're tank spec and run a pure dps companion, and at worst you'll have to rest every couple fights for a few seconds.

This has really not been my recent experience on my Immortal spec Juggernaut, at least not when I'm +0/+1 to mission level.

I'm 50 on my defense specced Guardian, and the only time I ever got out the healer was on a class story boss, and even then I could've done almost any of them with the dps guy. I mean, I don't care how anybody wants to play, my experience levelling was just that rolling the dps comp was faster, and I never risked dying anyway.

Joshmvii wrote:
    I'm 50 on my defense specced Guardian, and the only time I ever got out the healer was on a class story boss, and even then I could've done almost any of them with the dps guy. I mean, I don't care how anybody wants to play, my experience levelling was just that rolling the dps comp was faster, and I never risked dying anyway.

Fair enough, but it's far from universal that a DPS companion is the best option. I experimented with the Juggernaut's melee DPS companion (geared out and everything) and wound up dying a lot more, and finishing a lot more fights almost dead, than when I used the healbot companion. The fights are a bit slower (and to be honest, I like the less frantic pace) but I only had to self-heal every third fight or less.

I did up to about 38 with my first DPS companion, then up to 45 ish with my second one as a Vanguard, after that my healer. You can kill almost anything, though you do have to make sure your companion doesn't aggro anything. I mostly did the switches due to maxing out affection, but tank+healer does feel safer. It's the choice between longer fights and instantly start the next' and 'watch your health, use defensive cooldowns, burn through enemies, heal up after each fight.'

I'm not sure which of the two is faster really. I get the feeling it's pretty close.

Also, tankstat progression is happening. Now at 51.5% armor, 18k hp, 46% absorb, 44% shield.

Well we hit up the new Karaggas Palace last night and I tanked it.

Very bug free to our surprise. Even the rancor boss was fixed up so you spawn away from the adds and its not a "falling" spawn where some people are randomly dead. We did find that the loot tables are wonky and the auto-assigned shit is just plain wrong sometimes where a sorc gets a medium tank piece or something. We didn't care much since it was just normal mode and hard/nightmare has the loot we are after and in those cases you can roll/pass on stuff.... it bothers me sometimes though, when we do a normal run and a new person is there who could use something I end up getting auto-assigned, the option to pass it to them would be really nice.

The operation actually had trash that wasn't a pure faceroll, where you need to kill a certain droid that summons more mobs and at the same time prevent the mechanics from healing that droid. From a tanking perspective, some of the trash is setup so that if the group doesn't do it correctly you are powerless to really tank it all and survive. Which is good, all of EV trash is an AOE spam with CC being more useful than a tank.

The puzzle boss is far more polished than the puzzle pylon in EV. It actually felt like the first boss in this game that was really thought out and the wipes were due to just learning the fight and executing it well.... no bugs at all causing wipes.

Overall this patch has been really good from the operation aspect. We did our normal EV clear on tuesday, so I'm not sure if they fixed the few annoyances there... we will see how it goes on hard mode as the 9 lightning balls on Soa have clearly been broken in the past.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    At 24 on my Immortal Jugg, I've had zero problems with any content, and can solo some Heroic +2 stuff with nothing but Vette. Is your gear horribly underlevled or something? Are you not keeping Vette geared at all? Are you not running flashpoints to get gear/xp?

96058.png?1619393207
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Bad, we tried to finish our EV run last night. We had gotten to Soa on tuesday night, but didn't have enough time to really get the fight down before folks had to take off. So last night we decided to give him a go. After a few tries, we killed him, only to have him non-lootable. Reset the instance, he's back up, takes a few more tries due to random stuff (our second tank got stuck and died, on another try he and a healer got teleported away and couldn't participate, etc.) but we finally get him down "again" pretty late at night. The only person who is able to loot him is a guy who replaced another member who had to leave.

This is on top of the loot boxes all being available, but the dark council was the only fight available to be repeated. Basically, it's still a little buggy after the patch, but still fun. We'll be trying palace in the next few nights probably.

253J736.png
    edited January 2012
    Bullhead wrote:
    At 24 on my Immortal Jugg, I've had zero problems with any content, and can solo some Heroic +2 stuff with nothing but Vette. Is your gear horribly underlevled or something? Are you not keeping Vette geared at all? Are you not running flashpoints to get gear/xp?

I'm pretty sure the reason my healbot companion is a better personal choice than either DPS companion is that after a while I started skipping heroics and flashpoints and went from being so overleveled for missions as to render them trivial to being only +0/+1 to mission level by the early 40s.

Lawndart on
    edited January 2012
    Badwrong wrote:
    Well we hit up the new Karaggas Palace last night and I tanked it.

Very bug free to our surprise. Even the rancor boss was fixed up so you spawn away from the adds and its not a "falling" spawn where some people are randomly dead. We did find that the loot tables are wonky and the auto-assigned shit is just plain wrong sometimes where a sorc gets a medium tank piece or something. We didn't care much since it was just normal mode and hard/nightmare has the loot we are after and in those cases you can roll/pass on stuff.... it bothers me sometimes though, when we do a normal run and a new person is there who could use something I end up getting auto-assigned, the option to pass it to them would be really nice.

The operation actually had trash that wasn't a pure faceroll, where you need to kill a certain droid that summons more mobs and at the same time prevent the mechanics from healing that droid. From a tanking perspective, some of the trash is setup so that if the group doesn't do it correctly you are powerless to really tank it all and survive. Which is good, all of EV trash is an AOE spam with CC being more useful than a tank.

The puzzle boss is far more polished than the puzzle pylon in EV. It actually felt like the first boss in this game that was really thought out and the wipes were due to just learning the fight and executing it well.... no bugs at all causing wipes.

Overall this patch has been really good from the operation aspect. We did our normal EV clear on tuesday, so I'm not sure if they fixed the few annoyances there... we will see how it goes on hard mode as the 9 lightning balls on Soa have clearly been broken in the past.

I also appreciate that Karagga's makes a second tank useful, both in the trash (I suppose you could do it with one but there are enough mobs that two tanks can effectively split the work) and in the bosses (2nd boss in particular though in the others they can focus on getting the random add spawns off of healers). And yea, no bugs that we saw whatsoever up until the 4th boss (not that there were bugs with the 4th just that we didn't get past him yet).

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited January 2012
    Finished normal karaggas palace. Took two tries on last boss... just tank him faced away from everyone and move him around as he poops mean burning oil.

We did hard mode after and by the end of the time we scheduled got 3/5 bosses done. Just puzzle and the fatty robot left.

The third boss... forget the name, fun to tank cause he can hit like a fucking truck when he frenzies... and I'm about 500 hp shy of 23k. The trick I found was right before he frenzies the slowing effect on you drops for just a second, it lets you strafe out of the way and dodge a couple of his attacks. Then force scream for barrier and use a cooldown. Spacing out different cooldowns on each frenzy makes it an almost simple tank and spank. Its not a short fight so rakata medpac came off cooldown three times I think. Also any DPS with heals can throw some on the tank just in case. I think we kidna overkilled tanked it by doing all this as when we beat him my HP was near 90% the entire time.

Also, trash in KP is muuuuuch smoother with some CC. Which I like... we tried to faceroll it some and wiped a few times. CC made it a total joke though... we were just being lazy I guess.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I have nothing to add, except that during an Op last night, I got to feel the joy of hearing the healers tell my Assassin off-tank and raid leader that he takes way more damage than I do. Of course he does, I'm the JUGGERNAUT, bitch.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Decomposey wrote:
    I have nothing to add, except that during an Op last night, I got to feel the joy of hearing the healers tell my Assassin off-tank and raid leader that he takes way more damage than I do. Of course he does, I'm the JUGGERNAUT, bitch.

I would hope I take more damage, I'm busy intercepting you in order to do so. I recall some silly assassin pulling an AOE taunt at the wrong moment so I had to swap guards and intervene them...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯