As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Tanks like spanking.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Quid, how far along are you? That spoiler could be around level 20 or level 50 and I wouldn't know :P

edit- terrible totp. PSA: Label your story spoilers with a rough idea of where they occur (ie "early balmorra" or "between Belsavis and Voss" or something like that)

Bobble on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    Bobble wrote:
    Anecdotally speaking, Surge would also benefit from the talents that provide a natural increase to crit rate on certain abilities (Shuriyoken, for one). Since that ability has a naturally high crit rate, adding crit provides less benefit than adding surge. I also suspect that surge may be slightly better than Bioware realized when they were budgeting the gear, but I have no proof of that whatsoever. Just a hunch, because the multiplier seems to move quite well.

Pet Peeve Time.

It's Shoryuken.

Sho, as in "Shotokan Karate", the fictional style practiced by Ken, Ryu, and others.
    Ryu, as in the dude in the white gi.
    Ken, as in the dude in the red gi.

You will now never forget how to spell it; and knowing is half the battle! ;-)

Thank you! I've wondered about it, and I've probably seen half a dozen variations on this forum alone.

The day I figured this out was a turning point in my life. Godspeed to you in all your future successes!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote:
    Quid, how far along are you? That spoiler could be around level 20 or level 50 and I wouldn't know :P

edit- terrible totp. PSA: Label your story spoilers with a rough idea of where they occur (ie "early balmorra" or "between Belsavis and Voss" or something like that)
    I just finished the deadly auction mission. She said I squeezed her for cash but I don't recall getting anything from her at all.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    Bobble wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    Pet Peeve Time.

It's Shoryuken.

Sho, as in "Shotokan Karate", the fictional style practiced by Ken, Ryu, and others.

Thank you! I've wondered about it, and I've probably seen half a dozen variations on this forum alone.

The day I figured this out was a turning point in my life. Godspeed to you in all your future successes!

My Pet Peeve Time.

Whilst your breakdown works well as a pnemonic device, it partially fails in being factual.

Shotokan Karate has been an organized martial for more than 120 years, with some practioners prehaps dating back to the 1860's and the early Meiji ear.

And the word means 'Rising Dragon Fist' when written in the romanized spelling of the kanji, which is Shouryuuken.

And goddspeed to you in all your future endevours :D

And to be slightly on-topic, I'm levelling a Jug alt right now, and going pretty much full Immortal tree. I'm in the low 20's now and seeing gear drops that have more advanced stats like Defense and Absorption. Which should I be prioritizing to make the most effective meat shield (litterally, as he's body type 4) I can?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Arryn wrote:
    eMoander wrote:
    This also doesn't take into account that shield rating increases several of our abilities that trigger on shield proc, making it a decent threat stat as well.

The OP in that thread actually does address the shield proc further down in the first couple of posts. Their determination is that the shield proc really doesn't have enough of an affect to worry about.

Whether or not that's true, I can't say, but that's their conclusion.

Guess I should read the thread and not just grab the spreadsheet. I saw it was on the official forums and was trying to navigate away ASAP. :P
    But Shield Rating also helps with procs (extra Rocket Punch, Vent Heat), why we don't stack it?

Shield Rating has diminishing return, you can't shield a defense'd attack, and is only a 50% chance with internal cooldown. Increasing SR give us little extra chance to proc those skills.

For example with 45% Shield Rating, you get a Vent Heat proc every ~13.83 seconds on average (considering a boss hit every 1.5 seconds). With 50% Shield Rating you get a proc every 13.07 seconds, or about 1 extra heat every 30 seconds. And you need 110 Shield Rating for that.

With the extra Rocket Punch is worst, as RP has a normal CD of 9 seconds so you don't get that many extra RP per fight. Again with 45% Shield Rating you get around 9 RP per minute (2.5 extra). With 50% Shield Rating you get around ~9.2 RP per minute, so 1 RP extra every 5 minutes on average.
    This strikes me as pretty disingenuous, comparing 45% to 50% shield rating since 50% is the hard cap and you're way into diminishing returns at this point. Handwaving away the marginal gain at the top of the scale doesn't mean that the benefit at realistic percentages isn't meaningful. I don't have access to my own stats at the moment, so I can't do a more realistic calculation, but I'll put that on my to-do list.

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Bobble wrote:

I just finished the deadly auction mission. She said I squeezed her for cash but I don't recall getting anything from her at all.

To answer your question,
    I would guess it was something you did when you interacted with her about the list, though I didn't hassle her for cash and I never got a note like yours. Could be a bug too?

and to clarify: I meant you should label the spoiler on the outside. For all I know, you were talking about the end of Act 3 underneath there.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Dear god the Shield Amplification Module is amazing. For 6 seconds every 20 seconds I gain 365 Absorption when I shield an attack. At 32% Absorption this bumps me up to 53% for the duration <3

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote:
    Dear god the Shield Amplification Module is amazing. For 6 seconds every 20 seconds I gain 365 Absorption when I shield an attack. At 32% Absorption this bumps me up to 53% for the duration <3

Glad a tank got it instead of a healer this time!

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    Bobble wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    Pet Peeve Time.

It's Shoryuken.

My Pet Peeve Time.

Whilst your breakdown works well as a pnemonic device, it partially fails in being factual.

Shotokan Karate has been an organized martial for more than 120 years, with some practioners prehaps dating back to the 1860's and the early Meiji ear.

And, technically, what Ryu and Ken do is referred to as "Ansatsuken" in-universe, aside from early English ports of SF2 cabinets calling it Shotokan. Shotokan is much closer to Makoto's style.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote:
    Aegis wrote:

Now we just need to get Amon it and we'll all be set. Though from the looks of the boss, does he always drop two of the relics or did we just get stupid lucky?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Aegis wrote:
    Jephery wrote:
    Aegis wrote:

Now we just need to get Amon it and we'll all be set. Though from the looks of the boss, does he always drop two of the relics or did we just get stupid lucky?

From what I could tell, its always two relics/columi pieces. Then two Tionese/Xenotech. I could be wrong though.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So what's the stat priority for tanks, generally? I'm a 31 Guardian, leveling as a tank, and I'm basically focusing on End, Str, and Def in that order. I've got something like 6800 hp, 41% DR, and 15% dodge/evade/miss I think. Am I about on track?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It depends a bit on your class and how far up the gear tree you are which stat is actually best, but all tank stats are pretty close together mitigation wise in general (before diminishing returns).

At 31, collect what protective gear you can and don't worry about it too much. The way things are tuned right now, theorycrafting your true optimum would only really matter if you are going to hardmode Ops (And a select few HM FP bonus bosses) and beyond. Just being in decent level blues/oranges for most of your slots is good enough gearwise until then.

Being able to find the (lack of) control where you are able to shield the healer and hold all the dangerous enemies in an instance is much more important. This game has big pulls, fairly limited tank AoE, close threat-tuning and a lot of anti-tank abilities (knockbacks, stuns, threattable modifications and mobs appearing during pulls are all very common). In short, being tank means every instance is a bit of a work-out.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying my tank. I created a Shadow and have been playing him on and off (main is a Gunslinger)... but the other night I tanked Hammer Station and Althiss and had a blast.

I was wondering the same in regards to which stats are prioritized. Stylistically, it would appear to me that Shadow tanks are "supposed" to have higher defense, so they can parry/dodge to mitigate incoming punishment. Is this correct? Or am I just assuming that the guy in a dress should be avoiding rather than absorbing?

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying my tank. I created a Shadow and have been playing him on and off (main is a Gunslinger)... but the other night I tanked Hammer Station and Althiss and had a blast.

I was wondering the same in regards to which stats are prioritized. Stylistically, it would appear to me that Shadow tanks are "supposed" to have higher defense, so they can parry/dodge to mitigate incoming punishment. Is this correct? Or am I just assuming that the guy in a dress should be avoiding rather than absorbing?

Early on, just grab whatever tank gear you can because you can't really specialize that early anyway.

Later on, you want basically exactly what all tanks want. The fact that you're in a dress is meaningless next to your 150% armor boost.

I think the other goes something like... Defense > Shield Absorb > Shield Chance for tank stats, and oddly enough Surge is apparently a very good stat for accumulating threat.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I've been leveling a shadow as well and god they are beastly, especially post nar shadda with your second (fucking obnoxious) companion. Like I take on heroic 2's with no problem, their aoe threat + self heals + shielding is just a great combo and you are constantly damaging enemies because of faster energy regain. Can't wait till I get slow and then move into the far tree for double projectile spam.

I even tanked a heroic 4 on alderann for a group and the healer hardly had to touch me (which was good because the sent tard kept staying in during the boss's aoe wave attack like an idiot, which is no surprise he is a sentinel).

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Preacher, maybe you could speak to this, but it seems to me that Shadows are in a pretty good place tanking-wise, as opposed to Guardians.

Not that Guardians can't tank, obviously we can and I have. But it seems to me that while both classes are pretty on par as far as sturdiness goes, that the Shadow's threat generation is miles beyond ours.

I know you've played both, just wanted to hear your input.

Arryn wrote:
    Preacher, maybe you could speak to this, but it seems to me that Shadows are in a pretty good place tanking-wise, as opposed to Guardians.

Not that Guardians can't tank, obviously we can and I have. But it seems to me that while both classes are pretty on par as far as sturdiness goes, that the Shadow's threat generation is miles beyond ours.

Shadows have it way easier for threat gen, way way easier. I mean at the start of a fight they can unleash three aoes once they are level 40 (two of which reduces everythings damage done and one starts a buff that when it stacks to three lets the shadow self heal if you are properly talented). Their force regens faster than a guardians focus generates, and I never seem to be waiting for a cooldown to finish to do some damage as a shadow versus a guardian (mostly due to the sunder strike having a ridiculous cooldown that shadows don't have).

Shadows don't get sunder or charge, but they can pull in ranged attackers that aren't in cover and I think their interrupt has a larger range/has a range that guardians don't have. They also can start every fight with a self buff up that increases shield chance and can refresh it every 20 seconds?

As far as dps goes their 30% health move also tends to cost less of their force than the equivelent dispatch for guardians.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Only thing I could see hurting shadows is the perception they don't have enough armor like guardians or vanguards. Not the reality mind you, but the perception. Because if Wowtardation has shown me anything in an MMO its that any class that doesn't appear to be built of stone, clearly that means they have to be an offtank while the big bad heavy armor wearers are main tanks.

I will say its nice as a shadow to not have to worry about a riposte proc to get some damage mit. This could of course change when I get to 50 and find the shadow is suddenly a paper tiger, but at 38, I'm roaring all over the universe.

Only downside is I don't get any obvious sight joke puns directed at my blind jedi.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Only thing I could see hurting shadows is the perception they don't have enough armor like guardians or vanguards. Not the reality mind you, but the perception. Because if Wowtardation has shown me anything in an MMO its that any class that doesn't appear to be built of stone, clearly that means they have to be an offtank while the big bad heavy armor wearers are main tanks.

I will say its nice as a shadow to not have to worry about a riposte proc to get some damage mit. This could of course change when I get to 50 and find the shadow is suddenly a paper tiger, but at 38, I'm roaring all over the universe.

Only downside is I don't get any obvious sight joke puns directed at my blind jedi.

Someone mentioned this earlier I think, but basically this exact thing happened in Rift.

Because Rogues and Clerics had tank specs, and Mage had a healing spec.

But if you tried to get pubs together, you'd almost always get someone railing about how Rogue and Mage is DPS, and Cleric is Healing, and that's that.

Yeah, I know personally when I ran as my commando and healed the new rakghoul instance (on normal, but still) we had a shadow tank and he was the bees fucking knees. Now he could have been geared out the waz or something, but honestly he was an easy heal and seeing him was a reason I wanted to do a shadow, well that and the ability to make the smallest body type guy be a tank is awesome.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2012
    Its fucking maddening the effect WoW has on other games not like WoW. Like me personally I was trying to compare the shadow to a WoW class to my wife and then I had to give up, because honestly they don't play like any WoW class at all period. As far as tanking goes anyway.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I will have to say though Guardians get the far superior healing companion. Not that Doc and Theron heal differently at all, no Doc is just a much more entertaining companion and Theron is the embodiment of every nerd stereotype given creepy life.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I think when you get to endgame with competent guilds that know what's what, the Shadow may end up being the tank of choice. Running on fresh alts with my friend's Shadow after we'd leveled up with me tanking as a Guard the first go around, I was amazed at how easy it is for them as far as aggro is concerned.

They aren't really harder to heal either, according to all the healers I've talked to.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    But can Shadows just keep things stunned forever?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited January 2012
    HamHamJ wrote:

They don't have the stunlocking a guardian has, but the flip side of that, they don't really need it as much. I mean you get to launch big fucking rocks at your enemies, that to me equals the push/saber toss/charge combo.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    HamHamJ wrote:

They don't have the stunlocking a guardian has, but the flip side of that, they don't really need it as much. I mean you get to launch big fucking rocks at your enemies, that to me equals the push/saber toss/charge combo.

See, that just barely makes up for having to use something as silly as a double-bladed light saber. :P

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Its more like a staff than a double bladed sword really, not to mention the execution move for shadows is straight out of Pale Rider over head spin downward slash.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't get the saberstaff hate, shit be cash all spinnin' around, slicin' and stabbin' bitches.

Say what you will about Darth Maul, his fighting technique had style and substance. Stupid Qui-gon.

Wait thats a real thing? People don't like the double blade? Its pimp as hell. I do like that both tanks have different stances though with a drawn lightsaber. Guardians run with both hands on the saber ready to throw down, shadows have their left hand forward with the saber staff in back.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Bobble wrote:

I know I completely let her off the hook for the hunt list auction as I was fond of her and currying favor with Mako, and got a nice mail about her grandma using the money at the casino. Maybe there was an option to let her go free, but take her share?

steam_sig.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Arryn wrote:

Shadows have it way easier for threat gen, way way easier. I mean at the start of a fight they can unleash three aoes once they are level 40 (two of which reduces everythings damage done and one starts a buff that when it stacks to three lets the shadow self heal if you are properly talented). Their force regens faster than a guardians focus generates, and I never seem to be waiting for a cooldown to finish to do some damage as a shadow versus a guardian (mostly due to the sunder strike having a ridiculous cooldown that shadows don't have).

Shadows don't get sunder or charge, but they can pull in ranged attackers that aren't in cover and I think their interrupt has a larger range/has a range that guardians don't have. They also can start every fight with a self buff up that increases shield chance and can refresh it every 20 seconds?

As far as dps goes their 30% health move also tends to cost less of their force than the equivelent dispatch for guardians.

That shield buff? Powertechs/Vanguards get almost as much shield chance from talents, and don't have to worry about charges or reapplying it every 20 secs :P

Don't have a finisher though, but we do get a spamable AoE (even if doing more that twice in a row is a good way to empty out (or max out, in the BH's case) your energy/heat levels)

steam_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote:

Hm. My guardian is 31 and I guess I'm going to have to learn how to do this. So far I think my only stun that works on strong and better enemies is force push.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    There are some Elites and even a few Champions, that stuns work on. Since I used my Choke as a rage builder, I discover these mobs by seeing them floating in the air gagging instead of just continueing to hit me. Why some can be stunned I don't know.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I only use the Vanguard Explode 1x in almost any AoE situation. It's damage is fairly low, but it does throw the -4% debuff, but 3ammo/gcd is just too much. The other two abilities are more economical and more threat.

The only downside is that mortar has a ~2s windup time and then hits 3 times in a second, but the Explode only does damage at the end of the animation too. Well that and that sometimes AoE's don't trigger in laggy situation with a 'can't use while moving' message.

PS: I am terrible at ability names.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    HamHamJ wrote:

Hm. My guardian is 31 and I guess I'm going to have to learn how to do this. So far I think my only stun that works on strong and better enemies is force push.

Its from the tank tree. With talents you can put a stun on charge, and remove the channel effect from stasis. Combine that with pommel strike and you've got a bunch of stuns you can use right next to each other.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote:
    HamHamJ wrote:

Its from the tank tree. With talents you can put a stun on charge, and remove the channel effect from stasis. Combine that with pommel strike and you've got a bunch of stuns you can use right next to each other.

-charge stun
    - hilt strike
    - force push
    - talented stasis
    - Awe
    - let's pretend Master Strike works as it should (it doesn't)
    - fill in others I might be forgetting here or haven't specced into yet to try (Zealous Leap?)

Keep in mind all of those work as interrupts too, if Force Kick is on CD. No one should ever get a cast off on a JK.

I also like talented Stasis, because while it won't CC every champion/boss/etc, the dot seems to generate a lot of aggro.

Master strike works as it should, it just only works as a stun on normal or weak enemies, like project and other similar small enemy killers.

I couldn't see anyone not taking talented stasis if they are deep in the tank tree, its one point for an awesome extra stun.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Cool, thanks Arryn and Preach. I just got the stasis talent, I'm going to have to play with that some more. I like my Guardian tank, but even at 31 it still feels somewhat squishy (mostly blue and orange gear). I've also noticed that my AOE threat is basically nonexistent.

The prime example for me at level thirty one is the second boss encounter for Mando Raiders. Without any real spoilers, it's four guys, and even with cc I find I have to tank at least two. I was constantly spamming my taunt button for one because I couldn't build consistent threat against the other if I were constantly switching targets. Force push definitely came in handy to keep one off the healer as well. But give me one guy to tank and no one can pull him off me.

I keep considering switching to a DPS spec, but problem is I really like tanking.

DPS spec makes you a hell of a lot more squishy, and more suspectible to really needing charge to prevent from being as squishy.

Aoe threat is always an issue in every game ever! Between dps not focus firing on a tank target, to mobs that are untauntable/aggro wiping. Its just one of those things you shrug, play damage control the best you can and just do what you do.

One thing new tanks tend to not do is play the game of tank tag, that being hit every mob all the time with different single target abilities, because your job is not to kill the mobs, thats the dps, your job is to prevent them from killing your allies, so tab target and smash every mofo you can. (this is not to say you are a new tank, thats just good advice for anyone).

pleasepaypreacher.net