As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Congressional Elections 2012: Scott Brown, Diviner of Ancestry!

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    HB 275 was a bill to pay the previous legislature's budget shortfall. It was not a bill to help fund education for the next two years. Were you not paying attention when Rick Perry was screaming to veto any bill that used rainy day funds to fund education? Were you not there when Dan Patrick, Vice Chair of the Education Committee, was arguing we shouldn't use any of it at all because we might need it two years from now?

These two are not even the most crazy in the party (now). We've gone beyond the red line in the state at this point.

The current biennium's shortfall, and the spending needs for the upcoming biennium, are not significantly different, and it's all the same big spending demand that the legislature needs to address.

Spending the rainy day fund on the shortfall was just the politically palatable way to spend that money, because the members saw the need for at least some amount of RDF spending, rather than demanding even further cuts.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I doubt the Tea Party can turn things around in a week's time. They're stuck with Hoekstra, who has already shot himself in the foot so bad he's left with a stump.

It'll be a tough race thanks to outside circumstances, but 'Debbie Spend-It-Now' will make sure Hoekstra stays far away from office.

Hoekstra's extremely racist ad and the GOP still picking him as a party canidate is fucking horrible.

The fact that this can still happen in one of our major political parties is horrible, I agree. But it just means that his opponent can smear his face into it.

NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hoekstra's numbers are super soft. HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE him so much.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    >When asked about his letter's comments, Williams told the Sun Herald that he was exaggerating and not advising "anybody to go shoot anybody."

How else are you supposed to take 'they should be introduced to the Second Amendment' and 'should be removed from office in any way possible' on an issue that DOES NOT directly involve guns?!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I know it's President, but you all made it sound like battle lines were drawn and we had big names up against each other.

Among political dorks, yes. :P

But seriously, from a progressive perspective the potential 2016 field is super strong:

Hillary Clinton if she wants to take a shot at it
    Brian Schweitzer (Governor of Montana, owner of a veto branding iron with which he vetoes stupid shit)
    Andrew Cuomo (Governor of New York, generally strong, but somewhat captured by the financial industry)
    Martin O'Malley (Governor of Maryland, generally awesome)
    Elizabeth Warren (Hopefully Senator from Massachusetts, the best)
    I'd appreciate it if Sherrod Brown jumped in just to move things to the left a bit.

This is the list I'd put together although I'd include Mark Warner as a likely candidate and I think O'Malley is more looking for a Cabinet post (just IMO)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    No one really knows yet, Cuomo from NY probably and Schweitzer from MT. Maybe Clinton (I doubt it). Maybe Biden (again, doubt it).

She'd be 69, older than any president at inauguration besides Reagan (who'd be a few months older than her). It'd play a pretty big factor. If she stays healthy, it's possible (I think McCain was 70, 71?), but she'd take a hit for it and I'm sure she'll want to semi-retire eventually. I think she'd be a good president, but I also think there'll be stronger candidates.
    She's retiring now. I don't think she'll be willing to run again in four years.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Welp, this is at least 50% false - HB275 did pass, and we appropriated $3.2 billion from the fund.

HB 275 was a bill to pay the previous legislature's budget shortfall.

Walking it back a bit are we? and deleted your own quote too.

8->

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    The reason Inouye is not in charge of everything is because oddly enough incredible bravery and utter bad assitude does not translate into having good policy ideas or being an excellent judge of character. He's a pretty conservative Democrat and his best friend in the Senate?
    Ted Stevens.

Alternately, look at Israeli politics, which combines the US's idiotic partisanship with the UK's petty media environment despite the Knesset basically being all war heroes.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    "If individuals are allowed to access health care services only when they are sick or injured, there is no reason for anyone to have insurance. If insurance companies are required to accept all pre-existing conditions, insurance is no longer insurance."
    An argument in favor of an individual mandate? Nope, against requiring per-existing conditions from Jeff Flake R-AZ, candidate for Senate.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    He's right!

How dare my newborn daughter have Tricare when she was let on with the preexsiting condition of galactosemia!

She's a damn leech I tell you! Sucking on the teat (heehee) of the government and she's only 3 weeks old!

She should have taken care of the issue before she got insurance!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

To be fair that's actually a Libertarian candidate who's saying that people should murder the mayors of Boston and Chicago.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/blH1rk0jc8M

More of that jobs jobs jobs focus from the GOP. "Lets take a five week recess!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    I know it's President, but you all made it sound like battle lines were drawn and we had big names up against each other.

But seriously, from a progressive perspective the potential 2016 field is super strong:

Brian Schweitzer (Governor of Montana, owner of a veto branding iron with which he vetoes stupid shit)
    Andrew Cuomo (Governor of New York, generally strong, but somewhat captured by the financial industry)
    I'd appreciate it if Sherrod Brown jumped in just to move things to the left a bit.

I'm not really sure who I'd want most out of that list, but I got to see Brian Schweitzer speak at the Ohio Democratic Party dinner last weekend. He's got a very... odd combination of honky tonk charm and a progressive mind. He told one story that involved his steers and another about his grandmother coming here illegally. I guess a lot of the country would find that great but I can just imagine him going to far and branding a picture of his opponent or something.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    fortis wrote: »

I'm not really sure who I'd want most out of that list, but I got to see Brian Schweitzer speak at the Ohio Democratic Party dinner last weekend. He's got a very... odd combination of honky tonk charm and a progressive mind. He told one story that involved his steers and another about his grandmother coming here illegally. I guess a lot of the country would find that great but I can just imagine him going to far and branding a picture of his opponent or something.

Do NOT mock my governor. He is made of win and awesome, and he left us in surplus (only one of two states to be so).

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    http://tndp.org/blog/2012/08/03/tennessee-democrats-disavow-senate-candidate-mark-clayton/
    NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Democratic Party released the following statement in response to Mark Clayton receiving the most votes in the Democratic Primary for US Senate.

“The only time that Clayton has voted in a Democratic primary was when he was voting for himself. Many Democrats in Tennessee knew nothing about any of the candidates in the race, so they voted for the person at the top of the ticket. Unfortunately, none of the other Democratic candidates were able to run the race needed to gain statewide visibility or support.

“Mark Clayton is associated with a known hate group in Washington, D.C., and the Tennessee Democratic Party disavows his candidacy, will not do anything to promote or support him in any way, and urges Democrats to write-in a candidate of their choice in November.”

I'm so angry I could chew the head off a kitten. People don't fucking deserve democracy in this country. If I had an army of Me-clones or cyborgs I would fucking take this shit over so fast and really show them how a dictatorship is done. They've done it, they've finally done it. I'm a Batman villain.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    ...........I have no words for how pathetic that is on so many fronts.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    They didn't randomise the candidate order on the ballots?

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    .. How did someone the party didn't like even wind up in their Primary? You can run third party for the general, but aren't Primaries only people who passed the party's vetting process?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    kildy wrote: »
    .. How did someone the party didn't like even wind up in their Primary? You can run third party for the general, but aren't Primaries only people who passed the party's vetting process?

It varies, but usually you just need to be a member of the party, pay the filing fee, and get enough signatures to get on the ballot. A party has the option of backing someone in the primary or denying them support in the general.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    What hate group is he a member of? Club for Growth?

• Options

The GOP.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

The GOP.

Derivative, lacks panache. One star.

• Options
    Yep, that's a hate group.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    He apparently thought we needed some Pre-Lincoln Democrats in the House.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    He apparently thought we needed some Pre-Lincoln Democrats in the House.

historynerd.jpg activated!

Democrats were actually pretty off-kilter when it came to this kind of stuff until the early 20th century, when Woodrow Wilson took advantage of a split election between Taft (business friendly Republican) and Teddy Roosevelt (progressive third party- possibly the most successful third party candidate in US history).

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    Waren and Brown ads are hitting pretty regularly here in Massachusetts during the Olympics.

Brown's are "Elect him he's a good guy." Warren's are "Here is some policy."

• Options
    Well Brown has exactly 0 accomplishments outside of nebulous meetings with kings and Queens.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I love that Brown's gentleman's agreement has blown up in his face.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I love that Brown's gentleman's agreement has blown up in his face.

If only the Kochs could run more ads about Warren not being a native american...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    While I don't think Juan Castro will run in 2016, it would be beautiful to see right-wingers lose their shit after Barack HUSSEIN Obama introduces CASTRO!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    While I don't think Juan Castro will run in 2016, it would be beautiful to see right-wingers lose their shit after Barack HUSSEIN Obama introduces CASTRO!

The DNC is basically just trolling us at this point, aren't they.

spool32 on
  • Options
    By the way, as cities go San Antonio is kind of a shitty one. The zoo is OK though! So there's that.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I doubt the Tea Party can turn things around in a week's time. They're stuck with Hoekstra, who has already shot himself in the foot so bad he's left with a stump.

It'll be a tough race thanks to outside circumstances, but 'Debbie Spend-It-Now' will make sure Hoekstra stays far away from office.
    Hoekstra's extremely racist ad and the GOP still picking him as a party canidate is fucking horrible.
    Hoekstra is a fucking Congressman. It's not like he's just some random GOP douchebag; he's part of the leadership of the party.

• Options
    Was a fucking Congressman. He retired to run for the Governorship here and lost the primary to Rick Snyder's whose stupid gimmick a la Clark Durant's "rebel Republican" was "One Tough Nerd" and generally campaigned on being apolitical before becoming super partisan. He still has my dad fooled, despite being an Obama voter (though he leans right of center generally). This bothers me.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Ho...
    Ly...
    Crap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9u7emnhXYg

It's amazing how the only time that anyone ever bothers acknowledging Ron Paul enough to write an attack ad against him, and it's not even in a race where Ron Paul is running.

• Options
    Probably a bad sign for his candidacy that he's not the first hit for his name on Google yet. Though that might make him first in a hurry.

• Options
    Thread title changed to reflect the latest idiotic attack on Warren.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Probably a bad sign for his candidacy that he's not the first hit for his name on Google yet. Though that might make him first in a hurry.

I don't think he's playing to win. Apparently, the democratic incumbant for Senate won 58% - 38% in 2006. The democrat who ran in 2000 won 49% - 43%.

http://www.bluestemprairie.com/bluestemprairie/2012/06/his-kickstarter-drive-for-reality-show-stalled-david-carlson-files-for-us-senate.html
    Along with many conservatives, I watched as a very small fringe group of Libertarians infiltrated the Minnesota Republican caucus, uncompromisingly backing a slate of candidates who in large measure do not represent Minnesota values, and that’s evident by Congressman Ron Paul’s dismal 27% voter support in our statewide Presidential caucus. Many of these disciples chosen by their kingmaker, are widely viewed in our state, and nationally, as completely unelectable with negative views that do not reflect the heart of the Republican Party. In fact, I wholeheartedly believe that if we nominate Kurt Bills to represent the Republican Party, leading the state ballot, his radical affiliation with Ron Paul will crush any chances the Republican Party has of maintaining the Minnesota State House and State Senate.

It sounds like he's scared of the lunatic fringe that Ron Paul represents, and rightfully so, and he's scared that guys like Kurt will give his party a bad name. So my hunch is that he wants to do as much damage to the guy as possible, and hoping that the democrat picks up where he left off later on.

The ad is pure offense. There's not even a hint of "vote for me."

This discussion has been closed.