As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Congressional Elections 2012: Scott Brown, Diviner of Ancestry!

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Hey so I'm a student in Mass and a new voter. I've lived out of the country for most of my life and mostly only paid attention to Presidential politics. But now, since I'm an actual voter, I figure I should read up on the other levels.

Does anyone have a good article on Warren/Brown's policies? I'm very left leaning, so I'd probably vote for Warren anyway, but I'd like to have a good idea of who these candidates actually are.

That may be a mistake. I've heard several times that Brown is on Obama's speed dial, and that he is constantly in secret meetings with kings and queens. He also was one of the first and only people to see the Osama photos. Pretty important guy.

To add context to this, Death of Rats is joking. The things he mentioned are all bullshit statements Brown has made. Brown has a history of being self-important and basically declaring that he sets the agenda in the senate.

Brown is, as a person, a bit more moderate than Warren would be, but both will toe the party line 99% of the time.
    I assumed as much, but not gonna lie it took me a second to get it (somehow)

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Congratulations, Florida. For once, you're on the right side of history.

No, you may not get out of The Hole.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

oh that's just miaWAIT A SECOND I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH THAT KID HOLY SHIT

We ate lunch together

(Joe Saunders, not the old guy)

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

oh that's just miaWAIT A SECOND I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH THAT KID HOLY SHIT

We ate lunch together

(Joe Saunders, not the old guy)

This is going to happen more and more as the forums get older, we will be the skeletons in local canidates closets. Or in your case, the awkward lunch handy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Hey so I'm a student in Mass and a new voter. I've lived out of the country for most of my life and mostly only paid attention to Presidential politics. But now, since I'm an actual voter, I figure I should read up on the other levels.

Does anyone have a good article on Warren/Brown's policies? I'm very left leaning, so I'd probably vote for Warren anyway, but I'd like to have a good idea of who these candidates actually are.

That may be a mistake. I've heard several times that Brown is on Obama's speed dial, and that he is constantly in secret meetings with kings and queens. He also was one of the first and only people to see the Osama photos. Pretty important guy.

To add context to this, Death of Rats is joking. The things he mentioned are all bullshit statements Brown has made. Brown has a history of being self-important and basically declaring that he sets the agenda in the senate.

Brown is, as a person, a bit more moderate than Warren would be, but both will toe the party line 99% of the time.

This is misleading as all get out.

Brown is more moderate toward the centre from the right and Warren leans to the left. "More moderate" is meaningless outside of primaries wihtout these qualifiers.

This is also bullshit. Brown is a hard right Republican who talks like he's a moderate.

True, which was actually my point. He is a "moderate" because he has to get elected in Massachusetts, but he's still lock step with the Republican party.

Which as I'm reading back isn't what I said, so thanks for bringing that up!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Unless they start voting to break fillabusters I don't bother to separate moderate or extremist senators anymore. Long as they're on board with paralyzing the government they're all extremists in my book

• Options
    Unless they start voting to break fillabusters I don't bother to separate moderate or extremist senators anymore. Long as they're on board with paralyzing the government they're all extremists in my book

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    That was so important Pete, you needed to say that twice.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nexus works at the Federal Department of Redundancy Department of the U.S.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    Nexus works at the Federal Department of Redundancy Department of the U.S.

I think you mean the United States Federal Department of Redundancy Department of the United States.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Why, yes!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Sucky it bitches gallery just jealous

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So I just realized that Ryan is not only running as VP, but he is also up for reelection as representative of Wisconsin's first congressional district. Any one have odds or polls regarding that race? I would love it of the VP nomination gets him thrown out of congress

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Veevee wrote: »
    So I just realized that Ryan is not only running as VP, but he is also up for reelection as representative of Wisconsin's first congressional district. Any one have odds or polls regarding that race? I would love it of the VP nomination gets him thrown out of congress
    If that district elected him in the first place, he's probably pretty safe.

Edit: Yeah, WI-1 has a PVI of R+2, and Ryan has been elected there 7 times already. I don't think he's going anywhere.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Edit: Yeah, WI-1 has a PVI of R+2, and Ryan has been elected there 7 times already. I don't think he's going anywhere.

John Howard thought that way, too.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular

Rob Zerban is running against him.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Completely different situation. Ryan survived 2006 and 2008, so it's not like there's going to be a sea change in US politics that's going to flip WI-1.

a5ehren on
  • Options

Completely different situation. Ryan survived 2006 and 2008, so it's not like there's going to be a sea change in US politics that's going to flip WI-1.

No, not really. From what I understand, his opponent ran on a "he's forgotten about you" platform that got traction.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also, the DCCC/DNC has a super stupid policy where they don't run against the Republican leadership. Or they don't try very hard. Because they're the worst.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Is it bad that the first thought I had when I saw the link was "is he running against Maddow again?"

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Is it bad that the first thought I had when I saw the link was "is he running against Maddow again?"

With how much she's been bad mouthing him, I wouldn't be surprised if that dog whistle comes out again. The sad part is, he currently represents her and does not return any of her inquiries.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

No, not really. From what I understand, his opponent ran on a "he's forgotten about you" platform that got traction.

It was also the same year his party lost control of the parliament. And that attack worked because Howard had been PM for several years at that point. Ryan's opponent doesn't really have anything to point to on that front - if Romney/Ryan loses, then he just returns to the House. His district is (for whatever reason) happy with him being their Rep, and like ebum said, I doubt the DCCC bothered to get a legitimate challenger anyway.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I'd have no problem with Scott Brown if he didn't vote with the Republicans so often. He's a decent enough fellow.

Heck he'd be a great Republican for some other state that was going to vote R no matter what.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'd have no problem with Scott Brown if he didn't vote with the Republicans so often. He's a decent enough fellow.

Heck he'd be a great Republican for some other state that was going to vote R no matter what.

Nah. In such a state he would tack harder to the right to avoid a primary challenge.

Hachface on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

He would be if he wasn't a Republican.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

It was also the same year his party lost control of the parliament. And that attack worked because Howard had been PM for several years at that point. Ryan's opponent doesn't really have anything to point to on that front - if Romney/Ryan loses, then he just returns to the House. His district is (for whatever reason) happy with him being their Rep, and like ebum said, I doubt the DCCC bothered to get a legitimate challenger anyway.

The district is going to be more competitive than you think. Ryan's opponent has raised over ten times as much money as all of Ryan's previous democratic challengers combined, he has extensive experience in the private sector and has built a couple of successful businesses (unlike Ryan), it's a fairly moderate district, and Ryan's going to be in the spotlight. I think this last will be the most important, how Ryan does in his congressional election will depend on whether he ends up being portrayed as a greedy liar gutting Medicare or a brilliant, charismatic budget wonk. If it's the former, Zerban is in a very good position to exploit it. Ryan has a serious edge, but it's not a guaranteed victory.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Eric (I think?) Hovde who's the Tea Party favorite. Then some dude named Neumann and one of the Fitzgerald brothers that run the Wisconsin legislature running fourth.

Tammy Baldwin is the Democratic nominee, who will probably be the subject of this fall's most outrageous campaign ads (as a super badass military veteran).

I'm not sure if I follow. Baldwin isn't a vet. I think you're thinking of Tammy Duckworth. Baldwin would be the nation's first openly gay senator.

• Options
    Eric (I think?) Hovde who's the Tea Party favorite. Then some dude named Neumann and one of the Fitzgerald brothers that run the Wisconsin legislature running fourth.

Tammy Baldwin is the Democratic nominee, who will probably be the subject of this fall's most outrageous campaign ads (as a super badass military veteran).

I'm not sure if I follow. Baldwin isn't a vet. I think you're thinking of Tammy Duckworth. Baldwin would be the nation's first openly gay senator.

Yeah, I got my Tammys confused.

Duckworth is kicking ass. Hooray.

• Options

Again completely irrelevant as long as he continues to march lockstep with the filibuster everything movement.

The diehard GOP isn't going to change. The moderate Republicans who continuously back them up in the name of party solidarity need to be put on notice or voted out of office.

• Options

Yeah, I got my Tammys confused.

Duckworth is kicking ass. Hooray.

She's running against Douchebag McDeadbeat. She's busier than a no-legged woman at an ass-kicking contest.

Which, coincidentally, is what that race has become.

• Options
    Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Akin said that even in the worst-case scenario — when the supposed natural protections against unwanted pregnancy fail — abortion should still not be a legal option for the rape victim.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

McCaskill's no prize, but she better win.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Akin said that even in the worst-case scenario — when the supposed natural protections against unwanted pregnancy fail — abortion should still not be a legal option for the rape victim.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Yeah, I just heard about this and was trying to track down his record on abstinence only sex ed, in addition to his position where he supports a ban on emergency contraception.

Holy, mother fuck. How can people be this mindlessly wrongheaded.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Is it possible to win a Senate race with 0% of the women's vote? Asking for a friend.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

Yeah, I just heard about this and was trying to track down his record on abstinence only sex ed, in addition to his position where he supports a ban on emergency contraception.

I'm still trying to understand what a legitimate rape is. Is the other form illegitimate rape? Because neither of those terms make any sense.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Kipling wrote: »

I'm still trying to understand what a legitimate rape is. Is the other form illegitimate rape? Because neither of those terms make any sense.

Presumably the same thing as "forcible rape" that assholes like Paul Ryan tried to redefine in the House last year.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Presumably the same thing as "forcible rape" that assholes like Paul Ryan tried to redefine in the House last year.

This guy co-sponsored the "forcible rape" bill with Ryan.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

"Legitimate rapes" are the sort that should not be confused with the ones where the victim really wanted it.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

"Legitimate rapes" are the sort that should not be confused with the ones where the victim really wanted it.

It's the ultimate Randian ideal.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Overall, his response to this is making it worse. How do you claim you misspoke for a good 30 seconds? And he waited from Friday until Sunday when it aired to say he misspoke.

Akin has until Tuesday to step down, or else the GOP is stuck with him. But if they couldn't get rid of Christine O'Donnell and Sharon Angle, I doubt this guy is going anywhere.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
This discussion has been closed.