As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Congressional Elections 2012: Scott Brown, Diviner of Ancestry!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I"m watching the first part of Elizabeth Warren's interview on the daily show.

I love this woman already.

Jon is a tremendous moron throughout that interview.

Yes.

And there was some odd touchy feely moments too. But, she did well and I'm sure that she'll be back there again. The audience seemed to respond well to her.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    She comes across informed but passionate. And a bit rough around the edges, but I think in a good way.

Plus, she nailed the Super Bowl question.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    She comes across informed but passionate. And a bit rough around the edges, but I think in a good way.

Plus, she nailed the Super Bowl question.

lol. in order for me to stay friend with half the people on my facebook, i'll have to agree.

although part of me is cheering for the giants. just because.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if there is a way to donate to the campaigns of the Progressive Caucus? I've googled but I'll I've found is a 501(c)3 but I don't think they disperse funds to progressive candidates.

It would be nice to be able to donate to a single place instead of donating little bits to candidates here and there.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I hate to say this but Arizona might just have the best solution to gerrymandering right now. That's running an independent panel of 5 people, assuming we continue with two party system. You have two people selected by one of the main parties, the other party gets to select the other two and then you pick up someone who is independent of the two major parties to lead the thing. I think it works fairly well since both parties are getting represented and neither one can bitch too much about the other getting an unfair advantage since the independent can and should be stepping in to make sure that the process is fair to the constituents. Also I think five people is just enough to make sure things get thought at reasonable well without hitting the point where you have to many people that could potentially hold up things with idiocy. The only problem I have with the Arizona set up is that it only applies to US congressional districts and isn't used for the state legislature districts as well.

It is sad that in this day in age we don't have a solid set up against gerrymandering and continue to let state legislators draw up their own districts and the US congressional districts. Common sense dictates that they aren't going to be impartial to how things are drawn up. They sure as hell aren't going to back any redistricting that may result in them losing their office nor are they going to back anything that hurts their party statewide or nationally.

• Options
    I've donated to Bernie Sanders.

does that count?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Mill wrote:
    Arizona might just have the best...

Disagree

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Mill wrote:
    Arizona might just have the best...

Disagree

Well it isn't perfect but until we reach a point where most people can agree on a set of parameters for redistricting it's the best we can probably do to ensure that it's done with as much fairness as possible with minimum resistance from the politicians. The problem I see with a board made up entirely of people who aren't associated with a party is that someone will try arguing that new districts weren't don't fairly when you have a situation where the redistricting results being slanted against one party and in favor of another party.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Well, and then the Governor decides she doesn't like the districts and tries to fire everyone.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

does that count?

Yes and I've donated to Elizabeth Warren too, but it would be nice to have an organization allocate the money in a more well reasoned manner. I would rather not do research on all the members of the progressive caucus and figure out which ones need the most help in their districts.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options

does that count?

Yes and I've donated to Elizabeth Warren too, but it would be nice to have an organization allocate the money in a more well reasoned manner. I would rather not do research on all the members of the progressive caucus and figure out which ones need the most help in their districts.

Agreed.

and I've donated to her too. And I'm her friend on facebook! (sorry, felt that was needed in this context for some reason).

It would be nice to have a PAC or something specifically for the members of the DPC. But the problem might arise when, say the PAC gets a decent amount of money, there are x many candidates in the DPC running and y money. How do you divide it up evenly to the point that you give them all a fair shake, but make it powerful enough in vulnerable districts, but also not piss off your donors? I don't know all of the members of the DPC, what if some of them are crazy and I don't agree with them completely? What if he or she does not take my pet issue seriously enough, or at least not as seriously as this other person? I want my money going to person 2, not person 1.

And democrats and liberals do have their pet policies, just like republicans do. And we tend to be more likely to make the perfect the enemy of the good than conservatives do, some of the time.

It could really end up in some big intraparty squabble that we really don't want.

But it's worth exploring.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

does that count?

Agreed.

and I've donated to her too. And I'm her friend on facebook! (sorry, felt that was needed in this context for some reason).

It would be nice to have a PAC or something specifically for the members of the DPC. But the problem might arise when, say the PAC gets a decent amount of money, there are x many candidates in the DPC running and y money. How do you divide it up evenly to the point that you give them all a fair shake, but make it powerful enough in vulnerable districts, but also not piss off your donors? I don't know all of the members of the DPC, what if some of them are crazy and I don't agree with them completely? What if he or she does not take my pet issue seriously enough, or at least not as seriously as this other person? I want my money going to person 2, not person 1.

And democrats and liberals do have their pet policies, just like republicans do. And we tend to be more likely to make the perfect the enemy of the good than conservatives do, some of the time.

It could really end up in some big intraparty squabble that we really don't want.

But it's worth exploring.

Well the answer to that is not bother giving each candidate a fair chunk - you have to deploy your resources into districts that are close and ignore the people who will either A) win by 20 instead of 25 or B) are going to lose by 20 no matter what. Honestly, the bigger thing would be primary support for progressives in open seats (assuming you're not going to go Tea Party and try to primary out moderate incumbents and then lose their seat...), and then DNC's congressional committee can support them if they have a shot in the general.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, it appears that Brown has signed onto Blount's "Fuck The Sluts And Sinners" bill.

Might as well move to the basement now, Scott.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Current polling shows Warren and Brown at a statistical tie.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Someone should change the thread title - this is not a thread about the US Senate or House elections. It is a Democratic Party fundraising effort.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Baloney. People liking Elizabeth Warren and despising the Republican Party does not make this a fundraising effort or connected to the Democratic Party.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    So, it appears that Brown has signed onto Blount's "Fuck The Sluts And Sinners" bill.

I have no clue what you are referring to and Google is not helping me. Link/explanation please?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Current polling shows Warren and Brown at a statistical tie.

They bury it but...
    Democrat 37%
    Republican 11%
    Independent / Unenrolled 52%
    is suspicious for multiple reasons.

1- It matches actual enrollment...exactly. As in within 1% of actual 2010 enrollment figures to a tea. That's weird. It feels like some pretty big book cooking
    2- It doesn't match actual exit poll figures for past elections. It should be closer to this in a "likely voter" model.

2010 exit poll (midterm/gubernatorial) according to exit polls

Democrat 42%
    Independent 42%
    Republican 16%
    Other 1%

2008 exit polls from CNN
    43 D
    40 I
    17 R

Even with that Warren was in the lead.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options

I have no clue what you are referring to and Google is not helping me. Link/explanation please?

Sen. Roy Blount (R-MO) has proposed an amendment where any employer can refuse to cover certain kinds of medical procedures/drugs (I forget which) on moral grounds. This is mostly to let anyone ban their employees from having birth control covered, but it's written broadly enough that something like "Smoking is immoral, fuck your lung cancer coverage" is possible. Scott Brown has signed on.

• Options

Sen. Roy Blount (R-MO) has proposed an amendment where any employer can refuse to cover certain kinds of medical procedures/drugs (I forget which) on moral grounds. This is mostly to let anyone ban their employees from having birth control covered, but it's written broadly enough that something like "Smoking is immoral, fuck your lung cancer coverage" is possible. Scott Brown has signed on.

Amish bosses make bank in healthcare savings

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Baloney. People liking Elizabeth Warren and despising the Republican Party does not make this a fundraising effort or connected to the Democratic Party.

Oh, I'm sure it's not connected to the party. There is fundraising going on, though, and only for the Democrats.

I'm sure is a nice thread but it's not about the elections. It's about supporting democrats, one in particular, in financial and other ways.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:

Oh, I'm sure it's not connected to the party. There is fundraising going on, though, and only for the Democrats.

I'm sure is a nice thread but it's not about the elections. It's about supporting democrats, one in particular, in financial and other ways.

No, it's about the fact that the GOP has become utterly craven and repulsive. Reality can be a cruel mistress.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    spool32 wrote:

Well then, thanks for raising the level of discorse in the thread?

Congrats?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote:
    spool32 wrote:

Congrats?

All I did was ask that the thread title be changed, because it's not about what it claims to be about. I wouldn't mind talking about Congressional elections, and clearly some people want to talk about how they can get Liz Warren elected, but those really are two separate topics. Until they're split, this thread will continue to masquerade as a discussion while actually being a place where discussion is unwelcome. If that criticism seems off base, just scroll up to hedgie's post.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Burtletoy wrote:
    spool32 wrote:

Congrats?

All I did was ask that the thread title be changed, because it's not about what it claims to be about. I wouldn't mind talking about Congressional elections, and clearly some people want to talk about how they can get Liz Warren elected, but those really are two separate topics. Until they're split, this thread will continue to masquerade as a discussion while actually being a place where discussion is unwelcome. If that criticism seems off base, just scroll up to hedgie's post.

Are there any other congressional races worth talking about right now? Most states haven't even had their primaries yet.

• Options
    So, wait, people are discussing a particular senate/congressional election?

Now I'm just confused.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote:

No, it's about the fact that the GOP has become utterly craven and repulsive. Reality can be a cruel mistress.

for anyone who's confused, this sort of thing is entirely inappropriate.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Yeah, that is the obvious frontrunner for "exciting races" so complaining about it seems frivolous. Credo mobile is leading an effort to beat the Tea Party 10, which is interesting, but I'd hate to be accused of trying to fundraiser for their SuperPAC.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote:
    Are there any other congressional races worth talking about right now? Most states haven't even had their primaries yet.

Well several of them could already be discussed despite the primaries not happening yet. I'm sure we'll see a few more crop up once the primaries happen and either knocks out an incumbent for a newbie or the primary election campaigning ends up weakening someone who was suppose to be strong.

Around this time we should have an idea on who the GOP Presidential nominee will be and that will likely impact a few races, if people hate the guy and it's particularly good at being publicly obnoxious. Then expect a few cases where a semi-safe seat is all of a sudden part of a competitive race simply because the incumbent was mediocre and the GOP Presidential nominee pisses off people enough to want to make the whole party suffer for that district.

I also expect some of the anticipated races to suddenly become boring once the campaigning starts. The VA Senate race is one such example, sure it's close right now but once the real campaigning starts. People will remember that Kaine was a pretty good governor and was likely. At the same time, they'll remember that Allen was a terrible governor and a terrible Senator which is why we replaced him with Webb last time he was up for election. If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure Webb was a politically unknown at the time as well.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:

In an election. So, it is, in fact, about elections.

If you would like to try to get some people to donate to Republicans in here, too, I'm sure that would be fine. However, something tells me that given that Harry Reid isn't running this year, you're going to have trouble drumming up much support.

• Options
    This makes me happy. I have no idea how Ohio elected someone like Brown, and I'm glad he has a big lead so far.

• Options
    yay!

Senator Brown of Ohio is another one of those democrats that I adore.

We could only be so lucky to have another dozen of him.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    So Joe Kennedy has announced his candidacy for Barney Frank's old seat in the wake of a major endorsement. Yes, Kennedies get endorsements without even running. That's just how things work around here.

• Options
    Joe Kennedy?

Where is he in the family tree? (not as up on my Kennedy as I should be)

• Options
    Joe Kennedy?

He's the son of Joe Kennedy.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Joe Kennedy?

Joe son of Joe son of RFK.

He's 100% going to win in a huge walk. Resume: Stanford where he was captain of the Lacrosse team, Harvard Law, Peace Corp, Legal Aid, ADA of Middlesex county (which overlaps in part the district) following stints in other MA counties. He also speaks Spanish and looks like a Kennedy
    1329448374085.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7F7MnMdtDw

A new poll has Brown up by 9 on Warren, which is so out of line of everything we've seen that I think its a clear outlier. Suffolk is not what I'd consider the best pollster

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote:
    A new poll has Brown up by 9 on Warren, which is so out of line of everything we've seen that I think its a clear outlier. Suffolk is not what I'd consider the best pollster

Gosh darn fluffing poop. Best be a fluke that.

• Options
    Holy Crap he looks like a Kennedy alright.

and look at that red hair! <3<3<3 I'm in love already.

And he's young enough.....

Forgive me while I go have a dream about another president kennedy for a moment

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

If JFK Jr. had kept in mind that he was a Kennedy, and ya know not of any other lineage on the planet, he probably would have passed on flying small planes due to their higher rate of crashes and we probably would have had one in 2004 or maybe 2016.

I mean, for fucks sake:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUaJFH252w

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

Are we ready for a ginger president?

This discussion has been closed.