As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They [Chat]

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Hey Variable

SiG

Sarks

Dyna

and anyone else, really

which of you punks want to play [chat] D&D for a night or two sometime this month?

I'm interested. Rolling some dice right now to make a couple Basic style chars (wooo boredom).

If you end up with too many players I would also be willing to run a game on alternate nights.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    pitt and clooney are pretty big stars I'd say

I get that it's a different world but there are some folks who come close to that sort of mystique I think.

True. I'd call them the exception and not the rule, but yeah, there are some.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    how do you play, on vent or somesuch

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Jacob, I'd be down

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    Variable wrote:
    pitt and clooney are pretty big stars I'd say

I get that it's a different world but there are some folks who come close to that sort of mystique I think.

True. I'd call them the exception and not the rule, but yeah, there are some.

definitely the exception

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    So It Goes wrote:
    oh god rape thread, you are my kryptoniiiiiiite

Why do people keep going there? Are your a man(woman) or a slave!

The original OP was actually interesting. I'm actually looking forward to the fully published study.

The thing that disturbs me the most about it all is two fold:

1) The guys that are trying to justify that it's 'ok' to force yourself on a woman in the event that some randomly determined threshold of compensation on their part has been met.

2) That we're coming full swing of the pendulum, and the ultra-man-haters are basically behaving like the Catholic church these days and trying to make me feel guilty for having a penis and wanting to use it in a consensual relationship.

Agh! Sorry, sorry.. going back to Skyrim and this Malbec. I shut up now.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:

IRC. It's been a thing since '94

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I can only imagine how seedy the hollywood underbelly must've been in the 50s

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Chrono Trigger is on the iOS app store. Did anyone get it? Is the port any good?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:

IRC. It's been a thing since '94

you've been a thing since shut up

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Jacob if I didn't gain a more work from being in DC and it being a busy time any ways.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Eddy wrote:
    I can only imagine how seedy the hollywood underbelly must've been in the 50s

Oh it was horrible, horrible. Part of why Hollywood seemed so glamourous back then is because they did a decent job of that shit hidden at the time. Studios ran the lives of their actors, there was a shit ton of drugs, gambling, and fucking around. A lot of those stars I idolize were emotional wrecks, hell, Grace Kelly basically ruined herself - and her career - trying to win her father's affection.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Hey Variable

SiG

Sarks

Dyna

and anyone else, really

which of you punks want to play [chat] D&D for a night or two sometime this month?

can i be an "anyone else"?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Wash, I see what you are saying but I think a lot of this is you seeing things through very rose colored glasses. A specific bent you might say.

There was definitely a much different attitude about Hollywood stars and starlettes back in the 40's and 50's. The studios controlled their lives to a horrible degree but the media treated them with a good amount of respect and privacy when compared to today.

Tell that to Judy Garland's suicide attempt.

tumblr_ldcc9rYkbv1qzjidwo1_r1_500.jpg
    Kate Hepburn ran the gauntlet of the newspaper people, arriving to visit Judy as soon as she found out what had happened. She walked defiantly through the crowd of reporters. “Don’t you date take my picture!” she commanded. The reporters drew back. “Don’t you have anything better to do? Why don’t you get back to work?”

She came into the bedroom, swept past me, and lit into Judy. “Now listen,” she said. “You’re one of the three greatest talents in the world. And your ass has hit the gutter. There’s no place to go but up now, goddammit. Do it!” Judy smiled weakly back. Now that Kate had her attention, all her solicitude came pouring out. “Your only trouble is your talent,’ Kate continued. “You can’t cope with it and others don’t know how to treat it. It’s difficult all the way around.”

Throughout the day Kate was there to offer comfort and advice. She and Judy discussed every conceivable subject….including Kate’s own ups and downs.

She left by the back door, jumping over the fence to avoid the reporters. Once they discovered what she’d done, they set out in pursuit. It must have cut a comic scene, Kate walking rapidly down Sunset Boulevard, with a carful of newsman inching along behind her…She turned down a side street, and before the reporters knew what she’d done, she scaled the wall of a house-Greta Garbo’s-who fortunately was not in residence. She waited until the reporters drove on before walking back to her own house.

• Options
    Blehh, now I really wanna watch Sabrina but I need to get up reasonably early tomorrow.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elki wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    I have never played D&D

Yeah, why don't I ever get asked to play D&D? Is it because I'm too cool?

I'll accept that.

god damn you elki

don't make me get on my knees and sing to you because I will

come play D&D with us!

also bros and brosettes it is super simple

like, we can make your dudes on the spot, there are very few rules to worry about - it's kind of ideal for IRC

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Jacob if I didn't gain a more work from being in DC and it being a busy time any ways.

Dude, ^5 for getting more work, but how is this impacting your Masters program?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    They don't make 'em like her anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheNUWyROv8

Or her. But I love the way Bogey plays that scene.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    The last [chat]s OP inspired me to go back and look through some old modules I have laying about, that art, my god. Expedition to the barrier peaks is the gift that keeps on giving.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    When I die I want to buy Ms. Hepburn and Mr. Tracy a beer for being fantastic people. Should the opportunity present itself.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    grace kelly was p damn perfect

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Do you guys play 4e? And when did you plan on playing?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Hey Variable

SiG

Sarks

Dyna

and anyone else, really

I'm interested. Rolling some dice right now to make a couple Basic style chars (wooo boredom).

If you end up with too many players I would also be willing to run a game on alternate nights.

excellent :^:

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    You know what I find fascinating? In fMRI studies of teenagers brains and adults brains, they generally find that when you pose certain types of problems to these two groups, teenagers have much more activation of the frontal cortex then adults.

The interpretation being, teenagers screw up in weird aggravating ways essentially because while they can act like adults most of the time, they're basically using all their critical reasoning abilities to do it (I guess to "learn" these behaviors) - so when things move outside of their comfort zone, they quite literally cannot mentally cope with it whereas an adult, who's working off more innate behavior, can.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    How does this whole D&D over the internet thing work?

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Elki wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    I have never played D&D

I'll accept that.

god damn you elki

come play D&D with us!

like, we can make your dudes on the spot, there are very few rules to worry about - it's kind of ideal for IRC

I can feel the love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j379JbL-xM

• Options
    So the quality is bad because it's unofficial and it's grabbed using an iPad but, Planetside 2 footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-tkfJV62ao

• Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    Do you guys play 4e? And when did you plan on playing?

4e is one of my favorite games ever but I was gonna run a Basic/BECMI game since I think the really simple rules and low hit points are ideal for quick and dirty IRC shenanigans.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote:

Not much outside of getting an in at a government agency and possibly the CDC. One of the alums I met wants my research project from this quarter to present to her superior and the CDC as a base for a program they are working on.

I am cleaning up the paper something fierce for them first.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

Not much outside of getting an in at a government agency and possibly the CDC. One of the alums I met wants my research project from this quarter to present to her superior and the CDC as a base for a program they are working on.

What did you do?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    grace kelly was p damn perfect

It's not really surprising she became a princess. The first time I saw her in High Noon...that was something.

• Options
    edited December 2011

We play on IRC. We use a dice bot for rolls and type what we'd say at the table. Usually this means mocking Cass.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Elki wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    I have never played D&D

I'll accept that.

god damn you elki

come play D&D with us!

Apology accepted.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:

We play on IRC. We use a dice bot for rolls and type what we'd say at the table. Usually this means mocking Cass.

:x

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

What did you do?

Using mobile phones to track influenza using a simple question system to mark the person as having an influenza like influence or not based on the WHO guidelines they put out this last spring. It is to be tied to their database so that you create a real time map of infection to help base your response on without the standard week to two week delay that comes from lab confirmed case. That time is very important.

She wants my base idea to help track immigrants with suicidal thoughts using simple pictures instead of words since many can't read English.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    and all of you who asked, the answer is "yes, totally."

Dragons-of-Massive-Geek-dungeons-and-dragons-1004082_771_762.jpg

• Options
    I wish there was a recent RPG that looked like a cleaned up Ultima 7. The art style is really endearing.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'd love to play with you guys. I've never gotten to play a tabletop RPG before and I recently started a Dresden Files game with some of the people here. Been wanting to try out some D&D action.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    and all of you who asked, the answer is "yes, totally."
    Dragons-of-Massive-Geek-dungeons-and-dragons-1004082_771_762.jpg

I still have the Dragonlance "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" trilogy on my bookshelf.

Edit: Tika, Thasl..fucking Kinder-guy, Tanis, and his Lady-Elf that I can't spell right now. But honestly, the twin brothers were the best.

thatassemblyguy on
This discussion has been closed.