Options

[SWcolonTOR] Damage Thread: I find your lack of DPS disturbing.

• Options
    SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Bobble wrote:
    Can anyone speak to the playstyle of Operative a bit? I was leaning Sniper for my IA, but I'm always a little iffy rolling a pure DPS class.

Don't play an Operative but in my one match in PvP as a Trooper an Operative uncloaked and *BAM* I was dead within about 6 seconds. To be fair he was 38 and I was 22.

Spenzkrieg on
    RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    I was getting rocked by a 40 operative on alderaan last night.

sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Bobble wrote:
    Can anyone speak to the playstyle of Operative a bit? I was leaning Sniper for my IA, but I'm always a little iffy rolling a pure DPS class.

Don't play an Operative but in my one match in PvP as a Trooper an Operative uncloaked and *BAM* I was dead within about 6 seconds. To be fair he was 38 and I was 22.

i've been playing a DPS operative and its pretty much similar to a rogue in WoW, you'll always be in melee range and the only long range abilities you'll have are your basic attack and that DoT that you get.

operatives are built around the concept of a buff called 'Tactical Advantage' (Upper Hand if you're a scoundrel). these are generated from certain skills and talents and act as an overall DPS buff but can also be consumed in order to activate various other better abilities.

i've found that dps operatives don't really shine until 20-25 when you get access to more abilities though. they're still viable early on but they don't really 'click' until then.

it's a very fun playstyle but i don't really know how they compare on the DPS charts to everyone else, i've heard that snipers are much better damage dealers

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So while running Athis last night I had another Merc in my group. I noticed something odd. The debuff from tracer missile was making two distinct stacks on the mob. One from my tracers and one for his. This is nuts if those two were both debuffing the mobs as that is a hell of a lot of armor reduction.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I noticed the same thing when partied with another Guardian, but I would be willing to bet they do not stack. Unfortunately, it's more likely they overlap, so if you had 3 stacks on and he had 2, the mob is debuffed with 3 stacks. The way it should work obviously is they stack together and give the mobs 5, but it's a new game and all that.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is there any way to scale down the size of the UI? The skillbars are so fucking big it hurts my brain =(

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Not yet. Apparently UI scaling is something that's high on the to-do list though.

Personally, I want more skillbars and just generally more UI customization. One of the best things about Rift's UI customization was the ability to drag bars anywhere I wanted, then make unused boxes invisible. So I've got buttons here and there on the bottom of my screen, not using up the sides, for all my buffs and stances.

With all the active skills in TOR, I'm surprised at the level of customization. I would have thought there would be a great deal more.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    pretty sure they got the UI and said 'ok it works. next.' theres a good number of things to be improved upon and i cant wait until some mods pop up

sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    TK-42-1 wrote:
    pretty sure they got the UI and said 'ok it works. next.' theres a good number of things to be improved upon and i cant wait until some mods pop up

The UI isn't moddable. Though they've talked about giving us a moddable UI at some point.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    Ya they really need to make the UI moddable. I play a Madness Sorcerer and DOT management isn't the easiest thing using the default health bars. If there is another Sorcerer in your party it is impossible to tell whose DOT is on the mob. I feel like i'm always staring at the mob health bars at the bottom of the screen instead of on the actual fight. Basically its just not easy to manage Debuffs and Procs using the default interface.

On a related note Madness Sorcerer is a lot more fun than a lightening Sorcerer.

Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    I posted this in the main thread but perhaps it was a bit too specific. I guess it more-so belongs here. A PvP story about my Gunnery Commando:

I decided to take a turret on Alderaan single-handed. I found my level 25 trooper (with Plasma Cell on) against a paltry 12 sniper, an 18 marauder and a 22 sorc. I saw they were close in together and led off with cryo grenade. I dropped a sticky grenade on the center of them (marauder) while they were frozen I start in on the sniper with grav rounds and dispatched the sniper pretty quick (before the marauder could even get up to me). The Marauder tries to come at me (bro) and I stockstrike his dumbass. I hit on the good side of the 50% chance to knock him back 2-3m and his closing distance is slowed. I throw a sticky and regular grenade on the sorc and break LoS.

The marauder is mine now. I let him get within 5m and concussion charge him. He's now ~20-25m away and has slowed movement. The Sorc doesn't have LoS on me so I just grav round the marauder about 2-3 times building up a charged barrier for 6% damage reduction in addition to critting 2 of the 3 grav rounds (they hit for about 2k apiece and took him down to under 50% just themselves and also set him on fire). In the closing seconds I throw a plasma grenade and crit the initial explosion. He's at about 20% now and I just finish him off with a charged volley. He never touched me.

The Sorc I think realizes he has no chance and none is offered. Cryo/sticky/plasma grenade then hammershot/grav round/hammershot/grav round/HIB/hammershot/grav round ... DEAD.

FTR I had a 26% chance to crit.

I've found the Gunnery tree doesn't give up a whole lot in overall healing (at this level, I understand healing between a 50 CM and 50 Gunnery is enormous) but gains a HUGE amount in overall damage and also debuffing for his team.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    TK-42-1 wrote:

The UI isn't moddable. Though they've talked about giving us a moddable UI at some point.

I'd settle for a "scale UI to x" option even.

• Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    oh to get my dude to Commando status or try to level up my new jedi knight

oh the conundrum!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So, I'm maining a Sentinel with the combat tree.
    How should I spec my gear? Crit crystals or End? Load up on strength when and where I can with End a distant second?

Should I embrace my "Class Cannon" status?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote:
    So, I'm maining a Sentinel with the combat tree.
    How should I spec my gear? Crit crystals or End? Load up on strength when and where I can with End a distant second?

Should I embrace my "Class Cannon" status?

I guess it doesn't matter all that much while levelling up..no idea what it looks like at level 50 though.
    Still, I'd go for offensive stats. You pretty much have to use Meditation after every fight anyway and having a few hundred health more doesn't really make that much of a difference during fights.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    I posted this in the main thread but perhaps it was a bit too specific. I guess it more-so belongs here. A PvP story about my Gunnery Commando:

I decided to take a turret on Alderaan single-handed. I found my level 25 trooper (with Plasma Cell on) against a paltry 12 sniper, an 18 marauder and a 22 sorc. I saw they were close in together and led off with cryo grenade. I dropped a sticky grenade on the center of them (marauder) while they were frozen I start in on the sniper with grav rounds and dispatched the sniper pretty quick (before the marauder could even get up to me). The Marauder tries to come at me (bro) and I stockstrike his dumbass. I hit on the good side of the 50% chance to knock him back 2-3m and his closing distance is slowed. I throw a sticky and regular grenade on the sorc and break LoS.

The marauder is mine now. I let him get within 5m and concussion charge him. He's now ~20-25m away and has slowed movement. The Sorc doesn't have LoS on me so I just grav round the marauder about 2-3 times building up a charged barrier for 6% damage reduction in addition to critting 2 of the 3 grav rounds (they hit for about 2k apiece and took him down to under 50% just themselves and also set him on fire). In the closing seconds I throw a plasma grenade and crit the initial explosion. He's at about 20% now and I just finish him off with a charged volley. He never touched me.

The Sorc I think realizes he has no chance and none is offered. Cryo/sticky/plasma grenade then hammershot/grav round/hammershot/grav round/HIB/hammershot/grav round ... DEAD.

FTR I had a 26% chance to crit.

I've found the Gunnery tree doesn't give up a whole lot in overall healing (at this level, I understand healing between a 50 CM and 50 Gunnery is enormous) but gains a HUGE amount in overall damage and also debuffing for his team.

Wow. That really makes me want to play a trooper.

I barely seem able to take out a single guy on my own as a Gunslinger. -.-

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    playing a mercenary, feeling slightly OP when it comes to explosive damage but not complaining (only level 15).

few questions:
    1) doesnt alclarity reduce the time between your cooldowns? why is this bad for dps?
    2) how does the armor penetration gun buff compare to the damage proc gun buff.
    3) btw, is one of the two damage trees obviously superior or is mostly flavor.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:
    playing a mercenary, feeling slightly OP when it comes to explosive damage but not complaining (only level 15).

few questions:
    1) doesnt alclarity reduce the time between your cooldowns? why is this bad for dps?

I don't know about question 2, but regarding 1:
    Alacrity reduces the global cooldown and cast times, I believe. The problem is that you're generally not constrained by the global cooldown for any fight lasting a decent amount of time (boss fight). It's more about managing your resources so you don't run out, especially for those classes where your regen slows down if you do too much (all non-force users, I believe). In that situation, a faster GCD and faster cast times just gives you the chance to spend your resources faster, which isn't going to help you over the long run of the fight.

• Options
    Melkster wrote:

Wow. That really makes me want to play a trooper.

I barely seem able to take out a single guy on my own as a Gunslinger. -.-

I got lucky on some rolls (having a 25% chance to crit... but critting 2 of 3 grav rounds) and had an advantage in the fact that their sorc wasn't well played, their sniper was low level and their Marauder was completely negated by my abilities. Well, I'll take credit for the marauder because I took those powers by design for PvP. They hold some weight in PvE (i.e. if we're getting overrun or if my tank loses aggro and I'm facing down 2 elites).

How are you playing the Gunslinger and what tree did you go into?

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Played around with a possible end-game DPS spec for Gunslinger:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bZrI0bRobZG0rkrMhz.1

The idea here would be to balance between AOE and bleed damage, while also picking up a bunch of energy regen.

DPS rotation would be something like...

If fighting 3+ mobs:
    ... Focus on Thermal Grenade spam every 3 seconds and do whatever in between.
    Else:
    ... Keep the following DOTS up: Vital Shot, Shrap Bomb, Sharp Charge. Sabotage charge on cooldown. Wounding shot on cooldown. Speed shot when those two abilities are on cooldown.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:

few questions:
    3) btw, is one of the two damage trees obviously superior or is mostly flavor.

2. You use the armor pen gas if you're arsenal and the incendiary gas if you're pyrotech.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a grimdark, but I am a Jedi Guard so I can speak to your question somewhat. =P The Focus(Rage) tree is all about free, boosted damage, auto crit force sweep(Smash). Also, crazy mobility. Movement increase after leap, extra leap, etc. I wouldn't use it for PvE though, just because if I was going to spec dps in pve I'd go Vigilance for the sick single target damage.

I will tell you if you have a friend/wife/guildie who is a healer and like pvp, you should try your hand at speccing tank. PvP tanking is insanely fun. Put guard on somebody so half their damage goes to you. Somebody wants to attack them, you taunt them to lower their damage by 30% for 6 seconds. Multiple people do it, AoE taunt to gimp them all unless they focus on you. If they focus on you, pop either of your shield walls or your last stand. Force push, stasis that doesn't have to be channeled, stun, etc.

I'll bet I could beat you in a 1v1 duel. I dominate marauders 1v1 in warzones, and though I haven't fought a Jugg DPS, I'm pretty sure they're just like a less damage version, though you do at least get heavy armor. =)

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually specced full Defense, just because I play with my wife all the time and she's specced healer. It's not like WoW at all where going tank/heal is a gimp experience, because we both have dps companions who have AoEs, and then I have force sweep and she has force wave, so any sized group of standards is dead in about 4 seconds, and even strongs and elites melt because of the companions. Not to mention there's no battle log so I have no idea of the numbers, but I feel like my DPS really isn't that terrible in Shii-Cho. I can kill a strong solo in just a few seconds easily.

I've thought about trying out DPS, but we do a lot of flashpoints with guildmates and I like being specced tank for that and I've been gearing for it. I'm level 30 right now, but I'm on Shii-Cho, where my guild was placed.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ok, so the Powertech I grouped with on Athiss was the tank I was looking for. That guy held AoE agro extremely well so I was able to use my Merc AoE goodness so much more. Now I just need gear with lots and lots of crit so that I will constantly be venting heat.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    jdarksun wrote:
    Now I want to try my hand at other duels against similarly leveled Troopers/Snugglers/etc.

Well, I can tell you that a good Commando player that is adequately specc'd for PvP or off-tanking simply won't let you get to him.

The way I'm building my guy is crit as that benefits both damage and healing. As I said I was lucky to get so many crits, but in some manner it was by design. Especially at higher levels you can really frustrate a melee class that isn't specc'd into force leap with the plethora of knockback/slows the gunnery tree offers.

If he's CM and high up... you might be able to beat him just because trooper healing is somewhat easily interrupted unless you spend points to reduce pushback which PvE healers probably wouldn't have.

Don't know much about the Assault tree outside of the fact that it's the shared tree with the Vanguard.

Just by pure virtue of the raw AP capability combined with the CC of a Gunnery Commando they'd stand a good chance of chewing through your armor... especially if they're well equipped. With AP Cell active and 5 shots of Grav round... your armor would be reduced effectively by 60%. If they're level 40... then the fun begins.

Spenzkrieg on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, so the Powertech I grouped with on Athiss was the tank I was looking for. That guy held AoE agro extremely well so I was able to use my Merc AoE goodness so much more. Now I just need gear with lots and lots of crit so that I will constantly be venting heat.

I have a feeling pre level 32, powertech/trooper is going to be the tank everybody thinks is amazing, because Guardian/Jugg only has Force Sweep every 15 seconds for AoE until level 30(AoE taunt) and 32(Cyclone Slash/Sweeping Slash). We're at that point of the game where Bears don't have swipe yet. I think Shadow/Assassin is kind of in the same boat, though they can at least troll their DPS by using force wave/overload to knock them all out of the overzealous AoE DPS. =P

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Spenzkrieg, a good commando would be tough for a Guard/Jugg, but you can't just kite somebody who has 1(or 2 if pvp specced) leaps, a stun, and if pvp specced a speed increase after every leap, and a spammable snare that doesn't even cost focus/rage if specced for it.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Spenzkrieg, a good commando would be tough for a Guard/Jugg, but you can't just kite somebody who has 1(or 2 if pvp specced) leaps, a stun, and if pvp specced a speed increase after every leap, and a spammable snare that doesn't even cost focus/rage if specced for it.

As I said, the Gunnery Commando has a plethora of CC/stun/knockbacks and slows available to him as well. Any commando who stands still and just spams the same attacks over and over again will lose and are not a fair representation of the class' abilities.

Also, the Commando shouldn't kite anyone because almost every power requires a "channel" or the commando to be rooted in order to drop it. The Commando relies on keeping the melee opposition away from them and hitting grav round/HIB inbetween CC rotations.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Also, the Commando shouldn't kite anyone because almost every power requires a "channel" or the commando to be rooted in order to drop it. The Commando relies on keeping the melee opposition away from them and hitting grav round/HIB inbetween CC rotations.
    Channeling is going to be tough, considering that Guard/Jugg has a variety of ranged interrupts.

And Commandos have significant pushback reduction (75%) powers.

Just sayin'. Anything you can do... I can do counter. I can do everything counter to you.

• Options
    The only way we're going to find out is if Spenzkrieg the confident is on the Shii-Cho server with me so we can duel, or on your server Jdark. =P For all I know there are hard counters. I know my buddy who plays a scoundrel was telling me today he just gets utterly destroyed by Mercenary/Commando and feels like it's a hard counter. I don't honestly care about 1v1 pvp, because my job in pvp is to tank, and I do that job terrific. =) I play on a pve server, and it's not like i'm fighting 1v1 in warzones.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I just managed to get my first pvp match in tonight before server death. I'm pleasantly surprised at how entertaining my Juggy is to play against my fellow man. Interrupts, snares and charges galore!

It's really comical to nab someone out of a channel and watch them flail around in the air while my team mutilates them. Finding someone who wants to stand and fight is great, too. After a few interrupts folks tend to want to run away, only they're slowed. And then I jump on them again.

So much <3.

I'm sure the happy newness will wear off eventually, but I'm pleased with the tools I've got.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    I'm L13 with Operative atm. Someone asked about Operative earlier so here are my thoughts:

I haven't read any theorycrafting on the class, but just from looking at the talent trees, I agree about them not coming into their own until around L20-25. I would say the first ability any DPS operative wants is going up Concealment to get Laceration. This is the first ability you get that uses the Tactical Advantage you gain from using Shiv, etc.

So far it's been a rather awkward playstyle as I still lean rather heavily on rifle moves. An odd mix of stabbing people and shooting them pointblank in the face with a rifle. Haven't taken a really good look at the healing tree to know if they are meant to hold up as a full fledged healer, or merely a backup.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Basil wrote:
    I just managed to get my first pvp match in tonight before server death. I'm pleasantly surprised at how entertaining my Juggy is to play against my fellow man. Interrupts, snares and charges galore!

It's really comical to nab someone out of a channel and watch them flail around in the air while my team mutilates them. Finding someone who wants to stand and fight is great, too. After a few interrupts folks tend to want to run away, only they're slowed. And then I jump on them again.

So much <3.

I'm sure the happy newness will wear off eventually, but I'm pleased with the tools I've got.

It never stops being fun. And once you get hilt strike/non channel force stasis(sorry, republic names) you get to use them to allow you to master strike somebody while they're immobile, and even in full tank spec master strike hits like a truck. Edit: Realized I'm in the dps thread so you're probably not getting those two things in the tank tree, but whatever. Guardian/Jugg are awesome period, tank or DPS.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    I'm not guaranteeing a Commando victory. I'm not going to concede a lightdildo wielding tank victory either. I'm just saying it'd be a damned good fight. Kind of like the Dallas Cowboys/San Fran 49ers battles of old. They both had good offenses and defenses. They knew each others weaknesses and tried to exploit them whenever they could. In the end the winning team still needed luck just as much as strategy to achieve execution against their opponent.

With that said I also rolled a Jugg in beta. It was fucking incredible and I'm anxiously awaiting a chance to get back into that fray. Actually, to be fair, there isn't a single class I don't want to play. Even pure DPS (with the gunslinger) which I normally stay away from.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    With that said I also rolled a Jugg in beta. It was fucking incredible and I'm anxiously awaiting a chance to get back into that fray. Actually, to be fair, there isn't a single class I don't want to play. Even pure DPS (with the gunslinger) which I normally stay away from.
    Classes I'm really looking forward to:

Trooper (no idea on AC)
    Bounty Hunter (opposite AC of whatever I pick for Trooper)
    Sentinel
    Sorcerer
    Shadow
    ...Operative, I guess, because I'd really like to see the IA story.

Got a Snuggler to 15 in beta. Didn't really like the cover mechanic.

I'm about the same way. I already have all 8 characters created and named, now it's simply a matter of running them.

I don't like the cover mechanic either. In a pitched battle if I'm trying to just take cover to do my knockback or land an attack all the sudden I'll find myself doing a 20m barrel roll to some rock where I'm in an awkward position in regards to my enemy.

Pfffff.

• Options
    If you don't like cover, play Scoundrel/Operative. They don't really use cover at all, they're up in your face shank/shotgun.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I like it, and i'm positive that 50-60% of my appreciation for it stems from it just looking cool as fuck.

Also, for your Trooper AC I recommend going Commando. That assault cannon is boss, and you can either heal or DPS. And the DPS is delicious.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm excited to play every class too. My biggest disappointment is that the tank style trooper doesn't get the huge gun. I love that aesthetic, but I would prefer to tank on anybody who can if possible. I'm going commando on my trooper and powertech on my BH so I don't overlap styles.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I only went Empire because I preferred the aesthetic of the Mercenary to the Commando. I agree, I wish they switched the Vanguard's and Commando's weapons around, it would make much more sense to me that way.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Classes I'm really looking forward to:

Trooper (no idea on AC)
    Bounty Hunter (opposite AC of whatever I pick for Trooper)
    Sentinel
    Sorcerer
    Shadow
    ...Operative, I guess, because I'd really like to see the IA story.

Got a Snuggler to 15 in beta. Didn't really like the cover mechanic.

Yeah, as someone with a serious Alt problem in WoW, TOR is gonna be even worse for me, because the story will keep new characters fresh.

Personally, I'm going commando :winky: on the Trooper (FemShep!), because of the BFG that heals. That's just too awesome to pass up.

I think I may need 16 character slots :(