Options

[SWcolonTOR] Damage Thread: I find your lack of DPS disturbing.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2011
    Witchdr wrote:
    Why does the game want shadows to use the rock throw (forget its name, force something)?

There are talents in the infiltration tree that shave force cost off the move and you have the shadow training ability that adds damage to the attack but it still doesnt seem worth the energy over backstab.

I'm tank spec and thus don't backstab so I can't say how much damage it does, but at 50 my throw ticks for 700 *3 = 2100 damage, not counting crits.

It's pretty cheap damage, and you regain energy while it's casting.

Echo on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Witchdr wrote:
    Why does the game want shadows to use the rock throw (forget its name, force something)?

There are talents in the infiltration tree that shave force cost off the move and you have the shadow training ability that adds damage to the attack but it still doesnt seem worth the energy over backstab.

Probably because shadow strike is pretty damn expensive in terms of force cost. I'm guessing they ultimately want shadows to have a PvE rotation including shadow strike, double strike, clairvoyent strike and project.

Once you have clairvoyent strike, it could even work out that it's only worth the force cost to shadow strike when find weakness is up.

Shadows kind of remind me of enhancement shaman from WoW. Except with stealth.

Gork on
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Trying out Balance on my shadow and I'm noticing my damage feels higher in pve. PVP, my burst isn't as high since I don't use shadow strike anymore at all but being 46 now, I'm liking the way balance feels over infil.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I respecced my wife's sage from heals to balance for some fun times today, and it's ridiculously fun. I did a ton of warzones as well as a Maelstrom prison run with some guildies, and I can tell you it's viable in both. Telekinetics would definitely win out in long fights, but for trash and 4 man bosses balance is nuts. Project often shoots twice, telekinetic throw has no CD and also procs instant cast powered up mind crush and disturbance. And a 2nd instant cast AoE for trash? And you get 1% power regen every time you damage with telekinetic throw. It's just tailor made for trash/short fights/pvp.

My wife actually loved it so much she's now questing as it and making Theran heal us, haha.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    I respecced my wife's sage from heals to balance for some fun times today, and it's ridiculously fun. I did a ton of warzones as well as a Maelstrom prison run with some guildies, and I can tell you it's viable in both. Telekinetics would definitely win out in long fights, but for trash and 4 man bosses balance is nuts. Project often shoots twice, telekinetic throw has no CD and also procs instant cast powered up mind crush and disturbance. And a 2nd instant cast AoE for trash? And you get 1% power regen every time you damage with telekinetic throw. It's just tailor made for trash/short fights/pvp.

My wife actually loved it so much she's now questing as it and making Theran heal us, haha.

It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Something satisfying about two boulders being flung through the air. Plus all the numbers flying from dots is just fun to see.

• Options
    SnowSquallSnowSquall Registered User regular
    Gork wrote:
    Witchdr wrote:

Probably because shadow strike is pretty damn expensive in terms of force cost. I'm guessing they ultimately want shadows to have a PvE rotation including shadow strike, double strike, clairvoyent strike and project.

Once you have clairvoyent strike, it could even work out that it's only worth the force cost to shadow strike when find weakness is up.

Shadows kind of remind me of enhancement shaman from WoW. Except with stealth.

Plus Shadow Strike is dependent on position and if you happen to be switching from one target to another, and Force Speed isn't up, it makes sense to use Project as you close the distance.

Add in the Circling Shadows talent, which decreases the cost of Project when you hit with Double Strike and Clairvoyant Strike ( and increases Shadow Strike's crit damage). When you're low on Force you'll be using Double Strike for damage while things regen and Clairvoyant Strike has a built in mechanic that boosts the damage of Project itself.

And there's another talent that boosts the damage of both Force Breach and Project. There's a lot of talents and abilities that seem to boost one ability and also boost Project, one of the few instant cast ranged abilities for a Shadow (only got a lvl 20 Shadow so I may be wrong) which is good if you like to be highly mobile.

Quinnten, Human Sorceror [Giant Ants]
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    so which tree is good for Marauders? At this point I'm thinking the best idea for my marauder is to delete and remake as a jug, but I'm 22 already /whine

• Options
    Annihilation and Carnage are both awesome trees. I personally like Annihilation better, but my buddy plays the Sentinel version of Carnage because he loves the extra Ataru strikes and what not and he rips things apart.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Can any gunslingers give a few pointers? I dropped generic portable shield and roll into cover into their own separate hotkeys and that made like all of my problems disappear. But I'm going down the pure sharpshooting tree first. Is this a good idea? It seems like something that's heavily gear dependent. Would I want something more from sabateur or dirty fighting instead? I'm not having any problems leveling but it seems like a tree that depends heavily on you critting a hell of a lot.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    3lwap0 wrote:
    I'm having difficulty tracking this down, but what is the ideal stat or stats for a BH Merc? I just specced into that AC, and wanna do right by'em ya know?

Also, are there any ideas on when they'll (if ever) allow talent respecs? I figured I might through a few points into Bodyguard if I ever have to heal. I'm more inclined to go all John Woo on their asses and not sweat any healing talent tree non-sense.

Arsenal uses Aim as our main stat, with Crit and Surge being the most valuable substats (after 100% accuracy).

Terminal Velocity is the key to making the spec work and crit makes that possible.

Also, you can respec now, just have to visit the respec trainer. You can't train out of your advanced class, however, so you'll always be a merc (at least until BW decides to change that).

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Grath wrote:
    so which tree is good for Marauders? At this point I'm thinking the best idea for my marauder is to delete and remake as a jug, but I'm 22 already /whine

There's no reason to do this unless you want to tank. I just got finished doing the opposite of this (deleting my jugg and remaking a marauder) because I realized I just wanted to dps. Marauder dps has a lot more tricks and useful buttons to press. Your rage generation is also really awesome compared to juggernauts, and you get an increase movement speed in ataru form which is awesome for leveling and pvp. It also has the benefit of three different dps styles (dots vs burst vs utility) that allows you to switch things up if you get bored of one style of dpsing.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    Can any gunslingers give a few pointers? I dropped generic portable shield and roll into cover into their own separate hotkeys and that made like all of my problems disappear. But I'm going down the pure sharpshooting tree first. Is this a good idea? It seems like something that's heavily gear dependent. Would I want something more from sabateur or dirty fighting instead? I'm not having any problems leveling but it seems like a tree that depends heavily on you critting a hell of a lot.

I am pure sharpshooter and a level 43. My opinion thus far has been that it seems more dependent on how you gear Bowdaar. He's kind of squishy, so if you can keep him up and geared, he'll do pretty well for you. I still have trouble soloing at level elites currently. Usually Bowdaar dies, and I have to burn down the elite the last 10th of his bar or so. You'll find elites a serious pain in the ass in the late 20s range because you'll lack a lot of the better skills to manage them unless you keep well geared though.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    devCharles wrote:
    Beezel wrote:

I am pure sharpshooter and a level 43. My opinion thus far has been that it seems more dependent on how you gear Bowdaar. He's kind of squishy, so if you can keep him up and geared, he'll do pretty well for you. I still have trouble soloing at level elites currently. Usually Bowdaar dies, and I have to burn down the elite the last 10th of his bar or so. You'll find elites a serious pain in the ass in the late 20s range because you'll lack a lot of the better skills to manage them unless you keep well geared though.

I thought the companion thing was cool at first but I find gearing them up is kind of a pain in the ass. It's bad enough I have to buy their love with holocubes and severed assassin droid hands.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    I got him some oranges and basically upgraded him nearly every planet with commendation mods with a huge focus on endurance while I largely focused on cunning.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm not sure about GSs but Scoundrels only have Dodge (3 seconds of 100% dodge chance) and Escape (2 min CC breaker). That's it. So I doubt it's us.

... and vanish, but that doesn't exactly make them immune to anything.

Decoy on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about rerolling as sentinel. Guardian just seems weak early on in the vigilance tree (level 20-ish), even when using CDs. Surprisingly, even with heavy amor and 3300+ hp, boss fights chew me up. Wouldn't be so bad if way of the force had a CD shorter than 20 minutes.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:
    I'm thinking about rerolling as sentinel. Guardian just seems weak early on in the vigilance tree (level 20-ish), even when using CDs. Surprisingly, even with heavy amor and 3300+ hp, boss fights chew me up. Wouldn't be so bad if way of the force had a CD shorter than 20 minutes.
    I rolled with the Tank tree for quite a while. I think I switched over to single-target DPS (Vigilance for you, I think?) towards the middle-end of Chapter 1 (...maybe late 20s, early 30s?) and have never looked back. Which companion are you taking? I've had more success with a DPS companion when I'm in the DPS tree.

Taking Kira. We do well on silver mobs, okay on gold, but those gold + silver champions slaughter us. What's odd is sometimes packs of mooks will do the same randomly, as though my armor rating is bugged. A pack of 3 to 5 rakghouls shouldn't be a problem for me, even if there's a silver in it.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote:
    Scoundrels get the healing tree, right? Fexhie might be one of them. He can heal, move faster than me, and straight up ignore a good chunk of my damage. If I don't have him snared, he just straight up kites me. I've never actually seen him die in PvP.

I'm coming to the end game crossroads in a bit. I'll need to decide if I want to abandon DPS in favor of tanking, or not. Because that will decide which PvP and raid gear I head towards.

Yeah, this mainly has to do with the passive 15% movement speed boost that several classes can get. It's a lot better as Marauder, who get a 15% speed boost in Ataru form. However, if you talent for it, you can lower the cost of your snare so that it's negligible or non-existent. Juggernaut has one of the best snares in the game because it's cheap and AoE. Once you snare someone it's trivial to keep them in melee, unless they remove the snare (which is still a gain for you).

smugglers/agents get a weak damage shield at higher levels, which is probably the damage ignoring you're seeing, coupled with a few seconds from evasion, but it's nothing amazing. They're a lot less resilient than tanks, and if you're attacking them, then they're either taking damage or being forced to heal themselves, which is still a win as that means they're not healing the rest of the team. Making use of interrupts as much as possible and timing CC to burst down healers is just as important as in any other MMO PvP.

Honestly though, I have way more trouble with Mercenaries/Commandos, what with the heavy armor and seemingly endless options for CC. At least Operatives/Scoundrels can't knock you back, or deal tons of damage from range, or wear heavy armor... Yeah, Mercs/Commandos are the unkillable holy paladin healers of this game.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    Scoundrels get the healing tree, right? Fexhie might be one of them. He can heal, move faster than me, and straight up ignore a good chunk of my damage. If I don't have him snared, he just straight up kites me. I've never actually seen him die in PvP.

Scoundrels are the healer AC yes, and Fexhie is one yes. I've group PvPed with him a few times, is good fun. Not sure if he's gone through with it, but he was talking about switching to a DPS spec a few days ago. Haven't gotten any PvP in since then myself.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Nightslyr wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:
    I rolled with the Tank tree for quite a while. I think I switched over to single-target DPS (Vigilance for you, I think?) towards the middle-end of Chapter 1 (...maybe late 20s, early 30s?) and have never looked back. Which companion are you taking? I've had more success with a DPS companion when I'm in the DPS tree.

Taking Kira. We do well on silver mobs, okay on gold, but those gold + silver champions slaughter us. What's odd is sometimes packs of mooks will do the same randomly, as though my armor rating is bugged. A pack of 3 to 5 rakghouls shouldn't be a problem for me, even if there's a silver in it.

Some of those Rakghouls have a very powerful stacking sunder armor, and they'll do up to 100% more damage in a pack.

Gotta disrupt them or they'll chew right through you.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I wish buffs/debuffs were more noticeable. Little icons above my health bar, when I'm usually focused on my cooldowns, isn't exactly helpful.

• Options
    Yeah. That, and color-coded outlines for them according to which type they are.

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    Yeah. That, and color-coded outlines for them according to which type they are.

That would be great. Especially for armor penetration and poison.

• Options
    And while I'm at it, either a filter to only show your debuffs on a target, or make your debuffs larger on the target. Some classes really depend on monitoring their debuffs.

• Options
    how about just give us a mod API so we can make our own UI that isn't ass. i don't trust them to properly implement any of those things. I just LOVE playing a class where I have to monitor a buff that stacks to fucking 30, and the only way to tell the current stack is to pick the buff out of my giant icon list and read the tiny number (because, of course, you can't scale any part of the UI at all).

This is literally the worst UI I have seen for an MMO since Vanilla WoW, and at least they gave players the ability to fix it. I remember within a month of launch I was using a custom ui suite in WoW.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Procs should have an outline around both the debuff and whatever skill they buff, especially if a proc has NO VISUAL INDICATOR ON YOUR CHARACTER.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZbsrMdRMbZcMcRs0z.1

Does that look alright for a DPS Sorc? Work in progress. Only lvl 30 so far.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Riale wrote:
    how about just give us a mod API so we can make our own UI that isn't ass. i don't trust them to properly implement any of those things. I just LOVE playing a class where I have to monitor a buff that stacks to fucking 30, and the only way to tell the current stack is to pick the buff out of my giant icon list and read the tiny number (because, of course, you can't scale any part of the UI at all).

This is literally the worst UI I have seen for an MMO since Vanilla WoW, and at least they gave players the ability to fix it. I remember within a month of launch I was using a custom ui suite in WoW.

As long as they don't go the full out WoW mod route

Shit got ridiculous and I don't even care
    Moridin889 wrote:
    http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZbsrMdRMbZcMcRs0z.1

Does that look alright for a DPS Sorc? Work in progress. Only lvl 30 so far.

I have seen this half/half DPS build espoused, but I'm not convinced it's worth losing out on +50% crit damage and a capstone ability that automatically crits to dip into Madness that far

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    That would be a nice levelling spec all hybridized like that, but if you're looking for a sustained dps build, you're going to be going to the capstone in the lightning tree. You can build a respectable pve/pvp spec in the madness tree too, but that would also involve going deeper in the tree.

If we're talking PvE, you're probably going to be looking for something more like: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfsrzdoMutzZcMcM.1

I was playing around with a balance(madness for you) build on my wife's sage, and while it's hilarious just putting on DoTs and chaining telekinetic throws with no CD, it would never compete with the build above for sustained dps.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Well it does grant the ability to instacast long activated abilities (and a damage boost to boot) and I like death field. I'm going to be doing a good deal of PvP as well, and figured the instant speed stuff would be more efficient. Might have to try and test it out.

• Options
    SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    Hit 40 and just picked up my demo round on my Commando. I've got a great rotation in place between keeping 5x grav round on the target, and alternating the CD of HIB and Demo to where I always hit both when they're at full multipliers.

RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    God why is the "use cover bar" bug still not fixed?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

Standard and Weak mobs still don't do a lot less damage than Elite or Strong ones - they just have much lower health. Definitely kill low HP enemies as fast as possible.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    So what the FUCK do I do as a Sentinel?

It seems like the stab people tree is kind of weak, so far. Thinking of switching to the burn people tree.

Been duoing with my friend's Scoundrel since 10, has been really goddamn fun. The melee seems to not tolerate lag very well, though, which makes the whole no auto attack thing kind of annoying.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Kainy wrote:

It seems like the stab people tree is kind of weak, so far. Thinking of switching to the burn people tree.

Been duoing with my friend's Scoundrel since 10, has been really goddamn fun. The melee seems to not tolerate lag very well, though, which makes the whole no auto attack thing kind of annoying.

So I take it you've chosen Combat? What level are you?

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote:
    Kainy wrote:

Only 14. It really seems like this spec doesn't have the tools to do much at this level. I did get DPS saber form this level, so maybe I'll feel less underpowered now, but it really just seems like Combat needs more of the stuff farther up the tree to work, which is poor design, but it's the first month so whatever.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote:
    Maz- wrote:
    Kainy wrote:

Only 14. It really seems like this spec doesn't have the tools to do much at this level. I did get DPS saber form this level, so maybe I'll feel less underpowered now, but it really just seems like Combat needs more of the stuff farther up the tree to work, which is poor design, but it's the first month so whatever.

I was combat, pretty much stay in Ataru form, and go with big hits with Blade rush

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Okay, Smuggler... Gunslinger...

I feel like I just have way too many abilities and not enough quickslots upon which to place them. I'm level 38 now and finding that some skills just aren't being used because of the reach to hit the key without clicking.

Are there some skills that just fall off the radar or are useless in a single-target scenario? And what use is the channeled single-target stream of fire?

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Okay, Smuggler... Gunslinger...

I feel like I just have way too many abilities and not enough quickslots upon which to place them. I'm level 38 now and finding that some skills just aren't being used because of the reach to hit the key without clicking.

Are there some skills that just fall off the radar or are useless in a single-target scenario?

I think that is the same for all classes, depending on your spec it makes sense to use certain abilities over others.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Well, here's what I'm using...

1. Flurry
    2. Charged
    3. Aimed
    4. (name forgotten... the one that's only active after a charged or aimed)
    5. (name forgotten... the one that's only active when the target is at 30% hp or lower)
    6. (name forgotten... the channeled AoE)
    7. Vital
    8. (name forgotten... the armor reduction)
    9. (name forgotten... shortrange AoE knockback)

That's 9 abilities that I just can't see dropping. I have the damage-triggered sticky bomb up there as well, and the channeled single-target shot. In addition, I've got Flashbang, Thermal Detonator, Leg Shot on the bottom bar since I'd used those in or out of cover.

See you in Town,
    -Z