As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My HOSTS file keeps resetting itself (OS X, 10.6.8)

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The DjinneratorAt the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
Recently I've come across a very peculiar quirk with my laptop (As noted in the thread title, I'm running OS X 10.6.8). I use the hosts file to block a variety of websites by redirecting the traffic to 127.0.0.1, and for the most part this has been successful. However, recently, any additions I make to my hosts file are reverted upon the next boot of the machine. It's not a permissions issue, as I'm altering the hosts file using the command "sudo nano /private/etc/hosts" and authenticating before modifying and saving the file. Afterward, the changes will be in effect for the uptime of the machine. Looking at the hosts file afterward shows the changes are intact. However, on the next bootup, the hosts file will have reverted back to the state it was in before the previous session's alterations occurred.

Even more perplexing is the fact that a few custom entries that I made in my hosts file months ago are preserved through all this. It's only been recently that the changes have started to get rejected on reboot.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or know how to make the changes stick? Any help would be most appreciated.

TetraNitroCubane on

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what a Directory Service database is, but this thread on the apple site suggests you make your changes there.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Thanks, Aioua! I'll take a look at that method and see if it garners any more success.