As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Zelda Thread: Wind Waker HD (Fall 2013) and New Zelda!

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    Nah, you're right. But at least they didn't just leave it alone like in Twilight Princess.

Well the TP one had a fix in it already. The guy that "disappeared" was actually there the whole time, just invisible. You could still talk to the nothingness and continue the game.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    So the Wii can't patch games at all? That seems odd, given that it hooks up to the interwebs and all. They sure as hell update the system.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So the Wii can't patch games at all? That seems odd, given that it hooks up to the interwebs and all. They sure as hell update the system.

But the game is on the disc... Whereas I'm sure the 360/PS3 use their HDDs to store vital game data.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    They could update the system menu to allow for game updates if they wanted to. All they'd have to do is allow users to download a replacement executable file for whatever game from the Shop Channel (or automatically download it through WIICONNECT24), and then have the system menu check for one present on the internal memory before loading it off the disc. The actual executable files aren't very big, so it wouldn't even be limited by the size of the internal memory.

But this is Nintendo we're talking about.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, (story-ish spoilers)
    fuck the Water Dragon. Fuck her, and all her stupid notetads, or tadnotes, or whatever the fuck they are. FUCK.

Woo, I feel better.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    sixth dungeon now, and I just learned that, when I asked Fi for advice and she said that there's a 85% probability that this and this will work, she really did mean 85% :x

I solved that particular room by randomly hacking at everything on my way out

anyway, what's the glitch?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glitch:
    Once you're looking for the pieces of the Song of the Hero, don't talk to what's-his-face the Goron over in Lanaryu Desert until you've gotten the songs from Eldin Volcano and Faron Woods. If you do talk to him, it apparently makes trying to do those impossible.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Chen wrote:
    Sadly, Spirit Tracks is probably going to have higher lifetime sales than Skyward Sword.

Also, lol at Goht on that list and no Majora's Mask.

Other then where that fight took place, I thought it was kind of underwhelming and not very memorable. Actually, the only thing I really recall is the setting and one of the forms being kind of cool, but that whole battle paled in comparison to any Ganon fight, most other bosses in general, and was just kind of boring. Goht on the other hand was a really fun boss fight and I liked getting to use Goron Link for it after using him through most of the dungeon. It also felt different than any other Zelda boss battle, which I liked. Not because I dislike the usual sorts of boss battles by any means, but it was a nice change of pace. Especially since that first boss was one that you just sort of hacked at until he died. I'm willing to admit that I maybe even hold up the fight with Goht a bit more because of the one that proceeded it.

As for Skyward Sword sales, I don't know if you were just talking about Japan or not, but so far its on track to be the best selling Zelda game in America according to Reggie.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Glitch:
    Once you're looking for the pieces of the Song of the Hero, don't talk to what's-his-face the Goron over in Lanaryu Desert until you've gotten the songs from Eldin Volcano and Faron Woods. If you do talk to him, it apparently makes trying to do those impossible.
    You can go there first and get the song piece. You just shouldn't revisit after you get it/before you get a second part.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Goht is one of the most unique and fun Zelda bosses, but I quite liked the first boss in MM as well. He's probably still the scariest boss in any of the games. I actually wish there were more skill-based boss fights and less that rely on some gimmiks/weak points.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Goht is a mechanical bull that shits bombs. I guess I found that battle a wee bit silly when I was a teen. It's also pretty easy.

Skyward Sword will be lucky to break 500k in Japan and it's not doing so hot in the UK either.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So I was able to score a new MP controller for 20 dollars and put this on GameFly to rent.

Hopefully it'll get here before the month sub is up..

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I want to say something positive about the game so it doesn't seem like I'm just hating on it for funsies:
    The sword combat can be really fun, when you get used to it. I took down about 5 moblins at once a while ago, and didn't even get blocked once. A certain trio of enemies were beaten without taking damage, which felt good.

However, I really wish they didn't decide that everything has to be motion-controlled. Swimming and flying are not in any way improved by using motion controls, and I wish I could just use a joystick. In fact when I'm swimming and not turning right, I often find myself trying to use the joystick to correct it. Finishing blows almost never work, I need to wave my arms like a madman and usually just raise/lower my shield a few times. Why do all the menus have to be motion-controlled? And if I'm given the option of pressing B to say no, why can't I press A to say yes? They use motion controls the right way (to do something a controller couldn't), but then they do it the wrong away too: to perform functions that could and should be given to a joystick or, even worse, a button.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Actually this is the first time I enjoyed swimming in a video game. I liked it even more than Mario Galaxy's swimming mechanics. I'm amazed Finishing Blows didn't work for you since it's just doing a downward spin attack motion.

Menus...well I got used to it but I get what you mean. I'm not sure it's better than a normal menu interface.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I remember swimming in Ocarina of Time wasn't exactly ideal either. You'll get used to it.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Imagine holding a butcher's knife and start going up and down to gain some altitude. You don't have to be at the highest altitude. Then dive by tilting the remote downwards. Press A to accelerate. There are boost rocks with little holes scattered around Skyloft so you can get to places in no time.

Trying to get into those rocks can be a pain at times, though, and trying to circle around for another go at ANYTHING is even worse.
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    ...and the medusa squid thing....Really, just awful character designs that totally did not fit in with the rest of the game's aesthetic.

Yeah, that thing reminded my wife and I of her original form in Kid Icarus, too.
    Just in case you missed it: http://blamethelag.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/ten-reasons-the-zelda-cartoon-didnt-completely-suck/

I've already got two or three more Zelda articles planned, so hopefully I can get them done before the month is over.

I'm giving this a look in a few, but funny thing, as I came across a similar article just recently.
    So. Any thoughts on Retro Studios making the next Zelda, as suggested by Miyamoto? I have a feeling it would be a 3DS title.

Startropics first. :D
    Chen wrote:
    Sadly, Spirit Tracks is probably going to have higher lifetime sales than Skyward Sword.

Seriously? I thought that one tanked and was in bargain bins, at least in Japan...
    I want to say something positive about the game so it doesn't seem like I'm just hating on it for funsies:
    The sword combat can be really fun, when you get used to it. I took down about 5 moblins at once a while ago, and didn't even get blocked once. A certain trio of enemies were beaten without taking damage, which felt good.

However, I really wish they didn't decide that everything has to be motion-controlled. Swimming and flying are not in any way improved by using motion controls, and I wish I could just use a joystick. In fact when I'm swimming and not turning right, I often find myself trying to use the joystick to correct it. Finishing blows almost never work, I need to wave my arms like a madman and usually just raise/lower my shield a few times. Why do all the menus have to be motion-controlled? And if I'm given the option of pressing B to say no, why can't I press A to say yes? They use motion controls the right way (to do something a controller couldn't), but then they do it the wrong away too: to perform functions that could and should be given to a joystick or, even worse, a button.

Agreed.

Also, regarding if this is the best Zelda? Well, I like it more than OoT, for what that's worth.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ha, this game really wants to be Mario Galaxy sometimes

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Game finished, finally. Only having two or three free nights a week really slows that down. Now going back through the old thread and reading spoilers. :P

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Swimming was awesome you guys. Though flying was hit and miss, sometimes flapping seemed to work and sometimes it didn't. I realize that a majority of motion+ stuff is usually my fault but it still felt really inconsistent in flying.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Still playing through the game here. Only get an hour or two a couple nights each week so taking my time. Just got the first flame. I have been really enjoying the game. The only control issue I have experienced recently is skydiving for the Fun Fun Island. Hard to really move where you want quickly. Got five rings but missed the fifty.
    Did anyone else not like the silent realms? They aren't particularly difficult, having finished the second one tonight, but just irritating that I could have collected all the pieces and still lose them on the way back. Almost did on the second one.

Also, are dusk relics pretty much only silent realm? I noticed that once you get a full plant that it no longer counts down and considered exploring to find more relics but was afraid that a lamp spirit would trigger them off.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    Still playing through the game here. Only get an hour or two a couple nights each week so taking my time. Just got the first flame. I have been really enjoying the game. The only control issue I have experienced recently is skydiving for the Fun Fun Island. Hard to really move where you want quickly. Got five rings but missed the fifty.
    Did anyone else not like the silent realms? They aren't particularly difficult, having finished the second one tonight, but just irritating that I could have collected all the pieces and still lose them on the way back. Almost did on the second one.

Also, are dusk relics pretty much only silent realm? I noticed that once you get a full plant that it no longer counts down and considered exploring to find more relics but was afraid that a lamp spirit would trigger them off.
    I found them pretty difficult then again I get really nervous about time consuming stuff that I have to redo after one little mistake. As for dusk relics:
    You can redo the trials later on. Since I hated them so much I never bothered to check if they still had relics in them

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    I thought the flying and swimming correlated to the motion perfectly. No more wondering if the stick inversion was set correctly.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote:
    Swimming was awesome you guys. Though flying was hit and miss, sometimes flapping seemed to work and sometimes it didn't. I realize that a majority of motion+ stuff is usually my fault but it still felt really inconsistent in flying.

Was there an explanation ingame that you could flap wings? Like an idiot, I spent about the first 10 hours of my game doing an awkward dive-and-swoop maneuver over and over to gain small amounts of altitude. The opening bird race was a nightmare.

...then I felt foolish when I accidentally flapped my loftwing's wings.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    Re: Sneaking around
    I was pissed that you had to go back without being spotted too. I gathered them all and assumed I backed myself into a corner on the first one. Tried to make a break for it but failed and had to redo it. I think the key is to take your time. You have 90seconds between grabbing each piece. Plan out your movements and make the final one real close to the exit.

• Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Regarding the third trial...
    Also note that there are some areas where you can pretty much get away with a mad dash while they're after you. Of note is the area where you need to slide down the sand. You can pretty much loop that around again and again trying to get the pieces you need while they're after you, using the wind gust to shoot back up to the top.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote:

Was there an explanation ingame that you could flap wings? Like an idiot, I spent about the first 10 hours of my game doing an awkward dive-and-swoop maneuver over and over to gain small amounts of altitude. The opening bird race was a nightmare.

...then I felt foolish when I accidentally flapped my loftwing's wings.

Yup. Zelda told you when you first got the Loftwing. See? This is why we have the obnoxious tutorials! /sarcasm

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    okay, how do I need to tilt the Wiimote to achieve maximum skydiving distance? This is driving me crazy.
    I'm trying to jump on the bird nest on the tower.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Before you jump, hold the remote horizontally. Once you jump, the remote will use that reference as your starting position. If you then tilt the remote almost in a vertical position, Link should respond immediately. It's posssible that you're holding the remote slightly vertical before you jumped.
    Also note that there are some areas where you can pretty much get away with a mad dash while they're after you. Of note is the area where you need to slide down the sand. You can pretty much loop that around again and again trying to get the pieces you need while they're after you, using the wind gust to shoot back up to the top.

I did just this, but eventually a guardian wisened up and waited me at the exit, blocking the path. Hate, hate, hate those trials.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes and no. There's definitely a limit to how many times this will work, as I found out. Once one of them essentially figures out what you're doing, it just sort of waits for you at the bottom, directly blocking your path. Or maybe I just got really unlucky? Granted, this happened after like the fourth time--I kept going to the left and missing that one you have to slide to get. Felt really stupid when I realized that all I needed to do was go down the right fork.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Yes and no. There's definitely a limit to how many times this will work, as I found out. Once one of them essentially figures out what you're doing, it just sort of waits for you at the bottom, directly blocking your path. Or maybe I just got really unlucky? Granted, this happened after like the fourth time--I kept going to the left and missing that one you have to slide to get. Felt really stupid when I realized that all I needed to do was go down the right fork.
    Nah, I botched that like 10 or so times and didn't have any issues with the guardians.

That was all in one attempt mind you...I screwed up and failed the first because of that one piece on the slide. Just barely missing it due to avoiding the awakening water. It was easier once the guardians were already after me since I didn't have to worry about avoiding it.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Barrakketh wrote:
    Nah, I botched that like 10 or so times and didn't have any issues with the guardians.

That was all in one attempt mind you...I screwed up and failed the first because of that one piece on the slide. Just barely missing it due to avoiding the awakening water. It was easier once the guardians were already after me since I didn't have to worry about avoiding it.
    Oh how I despise that water. Especially when they put it somewhere you need to go and have it ebb and flow so you need to time it and "oh crud I'm running out of time I gotta get it but there's a guardian RIGHT THERE." Though at least water I can see and avoid. Better than those annoying lantern guys who are all over the field near where I got the final one (from the second trial) and had like 5 of them chasing me and I could see the edge of the light just behind Link's feet.

Do the lantern guys respond to just proximity or sound? I haven't tried walking slowly past one, because generally if I'm in the silent realm I'm running or dashing 99% of the time.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I screwed up only one trial, once. I thought they were quite easy. Some of the minigames, on the other hand, completely destroy me.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I'm not 100% sure about the watchers, but:
    I think it's proximity, and possibly which direction they are facing. If they are looking towards you and you're within the darker ring from their lamp they'll start chasing you.

I guess I was lucky that I only failed a Silent Realm challenge once, though I spent a fair bit of time with the guardians chasing me during the second. I personally liked the challenges, especially the "oh shit" moments when you're scrambling to find/grab a piece while they are chasing you.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    I screwed up only one trial, once. I thought they were quite easy. Some of the minigames, on the other hand, completely destroy me.

I got the first one first try. I messed up the second one 10 seconds in because I thought I saw a thing to the right of start, and there wasn't one there so I gave up and just tried again going for the one straight ahead instead and then got it, but there were multiple times that I thought I was done for.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I get really amped when I get spotted. It's weird... I felt like I was actually being chased.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    urahonky wrote:
    I get really amped when I get spotted. It's weird... I felt like I was actually being chased.

Oh yeah, definitely. My heart starts racing, adrenaline spikes. I feel such relief when I'm done or I grab a new piece.
    Tears. That's what they're called. Had to look it up again.

Definitely from Twilight Princess, having to find the same thing with the exact same collector flower as TP and that was the twilit areas and this is the "silent realm". Though I don't remember being chased in the twilit realm.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    I would like the silent realm stuff much more if it didn't take place in the silent realm, whatever the hell that is in the first place anyway. It just made the whole thing feel too abstract and removed from the rest of the game. I thought the gameplay ideas were actually pretty fun but I'd rather be able to fight off the guys with my sword if I want to, with the trick being you need to keep your sword in a certain place while you're off doing stuff and so can't use it...

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    So I'm playing through Phantom Hourglass again, and I'm not having the same problems I had the first time. The Temple of the Ocean King still isn't my favorite thing, but I'm not super pissed about redoing sections of it either. The salvage arm parts are great though - much prefer having something to do instead of just "sail, arm, treasure, repeat."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Just in case you missed it: http://blamethelag.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/ten-reasons-the-zelda-cartoon-didnt-completely-suck/

I've already got two or three more Zelda articles planned, so hopefully I can get them done before the month is over.

Oh God I hate that I'm being that guy, but you have no memories of your heart literally bursting. You just don't. Because you'd be dead, see?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ArcSyn wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

Oh yeah, definitely. My heart starts racing, adrenaline spikes. I feel such relief when I'm done or I grab a new piece.

I know, right? It's like Amnesia all up in's or something. The game does its best to make you feel like you've committed some transgression against all that is good and right in the world, and that now you shall be punished for it. It's nice they give you a bit of a radar that pops up around your character so you can spot those pesky guardians, though.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.