As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Zelda Thread: Wind Waker HD (Fall 2013) and New Zelda!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Spirit Tracks fixed the rolling so it actually works. It was super flaky on Phantom Hourglass. I think it fixed something else to work better - spin attack? I can't remember anymore.

Spirit Tracks also doesn't have the dungeon that you have to replay everytime. There is one you go back to, but you go to different floors each time so you aren't re-playing content.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    The Phantom Hourglass is probably the only Zelda game I never started a second file/playthrough on. Using the touch controls just never felt right, especially since I played it on the original phat DS. Maybe I'll play the game again on my 3DS, but does Spirit Tracks improve the controls in any way?

I'm going to disagree with you here; I loved PH, and the touch controls worked great for me, even playing on a bus. OTOH, I hate trying to play Kid Icarus, so who knows?

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The thing I did like with Phantom Hourglass was how you could use the touch screen to draw and make notes on the sea and dungeon maps. I really liked that one island where you had to literally fill in a blank map by walking the shoreline and drawing the island like a geographer to solve the island's puzzle. Future Zeldas have to reintroduce writing/drawing on your maps.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Every handheld Zelda game needs to be played. This includes Links Awakening, the Oracles, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    If you only play one, I'd say play Link's Awakening.

The others are good but (imo) don't quite reach the level of the console Zeldas. Each one is unique though and offers a nice twist on the Zelda formula. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    In other news: since @Rehab doesn't seem to be around anymore, I'll be making the new Zelda thread with a new OP and all, unless there are any objections. I'll try to get it up tomorrow at some point.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    It really depends on your budget. If you really only can afford one game it's totally up to you, but Link's Awakening works better by itself because it doesn't feature any interconnectivity. If you can afford two, but not three, I'd say get both Oracle games. Regardless of which one you play through first, you can then start a "Linked Game" in the other game and transfer all kinds of stuff back and forth.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Link's Awakening. Because that song is fantastic and will never get out of your head forever, in a good way.

You all know which one I'm talking about.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Handheld Zeldas:

LA: Probably the best overall, excellent story and mechanics that all the others rip off. If you haven't been spoiled on the ending, it should hit you pretty strongly.
    Oracles: Very strong, should be played as a 'linked' game. I preferred Ages. Yes the Seasons mechanic feels more unique, but the puzzles were tougher in Ages, which to me makes it feel like the better designed game.
    Lttp (unavailable on 3DS currently): Very good port of a good game if you haven't played it.
    Minish Cap (unavailable on 3DS currently): Felt a little brief and occasionally annoying to me. Still, when the game gets in a groove, it is extremely fun and the graphics are very nice.
    Phantom Hourglass: Despite suffering from some of the same problems as WW (sail everywhere over and over! collect all the things!) it makes VERY smart use of the touchscreen. Various puzzles would only be possible in this game.
    Spirit Tracks: The train theme does nothing for me. There are various sections that involve drawing lines from one place to another, the precision asked for is frankly inappropriate for many players' damaged touch screens (like mine...) I like that Zelda is finally a fully fledged part of the adventure... but that brings us right back to constantly drawing lines on the screen.
    Ocarina: Must get if you didn't play it originally. Skippable if you did and you're not a fanatic about it.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Phantom Hourglass's sailing wasn't even close to as bad as Wind Waker's. You just drew a path and then could pretty much take a nap if you wanted :P I mean, other than shooting at stuff :) The biggest problem with PH was the Ocean King palace that you had to keep going back to and re-doing all the floors every time. That sucked. Also the rolling didn't work right.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Minish Cap represent.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    I actually didn't like Minish Cap all that much. It's ok, but I hated the shrinking mechanic.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Oracles: Very strong, should be played as a 'linked' game. I preferred Ages. Yes the Seasons mechanic feels more unique, but the puzzles were tougher in Ages, which to me makes it feel like the better designed game.

The first time I played the Oracle games, I played Seasons first and Ages second; I enjoyed Seasons more. My second time through (when they were released on the 3DS eShop), I played Ages first and Seasons second; I enjoyed Ages more.

I agree that the games need to be played linked.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Spirit Tracks is DOPE son

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W_bFLwB0WY

Choo choo

This is all my opinion, as all of our opinions usually are, but this right here, this is an outright LIE. Spirit Tracks was TERRIBLE. One of the worst Zelda games I've played through, and I finished it so I could cross it off my backloggery. I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass more, though that Ocean King dungeon did get irritating around the 3rd time through. It got better after you get a certain item though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Choo choo

This is all my opinion, as all of our opinions usually are, but this right here, this is an outright LIE. Spirit Tracks was TERRIBLE. One of the worst Zelda games I've played through, and I finished it so I could cross it off my backloggery. I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass more, though that Ocean King dungeon did get irritating around the 3rd time through. It got better after you get a certain item though.

Not all terrible. It has one of the best versions of Princess Zelda in it...

And I liked the game. :(

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yeah Spirit Tracks is great. Some of my all time favorite puzzles. Puzzles that are hard but not "there is no way in hell I would have ever gotten that without looking it up" hard.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    One of the worst Zelda games I've played through, and I finished it so I could cross it off my backloggery.

If you hate a game, why not just sell it, then delete it from your backloggery. Seems kind of strange to keep playing a game just because you added it to an online backlog.

• Options
    Well, it's a Zelda game, I figured it had to get better. And yes, it did have one of the best Zelda renditions of all the games. And the dungeons were generally good. I wouldn't say I hated it, but I had put enough time into it I had to see it to the end.

I suppose what really set me off on the game was the train, which was just irritating to use to move around the map, and the pathfinding. You couldn't set your destination and do something else for 5 minutes while you steamed your way there, you had to shoot moblins, snowmen, watch out for enemy trains that would 1-hit kill you, cannon boats, etc. This was neat for the first map, but when you're crossing the map from point A to B it got old very quickly.
    The warps required too much to unlock and were too far apart to actually be useful. Getting all the train parts just was too much for me, but I could see someone enjoying it. Zelda's pathfinding at times was a test of my patience, especially when it required timing or controlling both simultaneously. And the end battle with the tears of light and then battle on the train drove me insane with how easy it was to die and have to start all over again.

So there was good with the bad, I suppose. Still, so many other Zelda games I would recommend first before I got to Spirit Tracks.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Choo choo

I see. We can settle this like adults who acknowledge the validity of our disagreement

Get out your god damn knife

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Choo choo

I see. We can settle this like adults who acknowledge the validity of our disagreement

Get out your god damn Master Sword

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Spirit tracks is actually probably my favourite handheld Zelda and my second favourite Zelda. Phantom hourglass is ace and should be played for THAT ONE PUZZLE alone. Those who have played it know what THAT ONE PUZZLE is and I can guarantee it took them ages to figure it out.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

Skyward Sword spoilers
    I was surprised at how excited I got when I finally got my blade fully upgraded into the mother fuckin' master sword. Not like I shouldn't have seen it coming, but I didn't see it coming! When I got that third flame, and my sword transformed I was like "Oh man, I know that sword! That is a badass sword!" but in the back of my mind there was some feeling that it wasn't quite right. And then like half an hour later, Zelda Goddess is all "okay here's some triforce power" and the sword is all "paSHINGGGG" and now we are mastering swords over here. Good stuff best stuff.

Still haven't finished the game, in fact that's exactly the point I just got to. Can't wait to wrap this up. I love Zelda games.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    The flute in Spirit Tracks sucked. It's a miracle I was able to get past those sections.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    @shoeboxjeddy

I completely agree with every single one of your complaints about the motion controls. You can scroll back a few pages and find me ranting about it. In fact, if anybody snaps at you for talking about this stuff I take full responsibility because I made them have that year old argument last week too. Anyway, I agree, the motion controls are fucking terrible and I hate them and on a few occasions they have made me want to light my disc on fire. THAT SAID, I'm 26 hours into the game now and I look forward to every session and feel satisfied every time I finish. Everything but the controls is really top notch Zelda stuff. The dungeons are challenging but not frustrating, the boss fights are awesome, the story is interesting, you're constantly introduced to new mechanics. The game didn't really take off for me until after the 2nd dungeon, so if you have any inclination to see this thing through, at least get to the third one I'd say.

Thanks for the encouragement. Hearing someone who's like "oh man, balancing is so easy and not at all stupid" makes me wonder STRONGLY about their opinion of the whole game (no offense). Mostly right now, I'm just flinching at the thought of the "taser stick" guys, I'm gonna die so quickly as soon as they show up...

I didn't have too many issues with the motion controls in either SS or TP, but I'll be happy to never deal with them in Zelda again.

Really, it's incredibly telling when the people defending the controls are saying you only need to spam them in a way not designed and they're perfectly fine.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    The flute in Spirit Tracks sucked. It's a miracle I was able to get past those sections.

My hunch is that the flute was just too "real" of an instrument such that it took actual musical talent to play and made things super frustrating to people who couldn't wrap their heads around it.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Choo choo

Get out your god damn Master Sword

I know we're being silly here, but when you're telling your opponent to get out their Master Sword, you've already lost.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Quical wrote: »
    Spirit tracks is actually probably my favourite handheld Zelda and my second favourite Zelda. Phantom hourglass is ace and should be played for THAT ONE PUZZLE alone. Those who have played it know what THAT ONE PUZZLE is and I can guarantee it took them ages to figure it out.

It's been years, I don't remember what it was.
    Dritz wrote: »

Playing Spirit Tracks on the 3DS and attempting to do the flute only made it worse. The game was designed for the mic between the two screens and center. The 3DS has the mic to the lower right corner of the bottom screen.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I hope I never have to deal with motion controls in Zelda again. If that happens I will die happy.

You may not have to, at least for the next one. Aonuma says that part of making Wind Waker HD is helping in creating the controls for the Wii U original.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Ooooookay...? The Maku Tree is telling me to go to Ambi's tower, even though I've only got 6 of 8 essences...wiki tells me I need all 8. Wtf?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options

Press the sacred crest on to the sea chart.

• Options
    I saved that one by accident, like loads of people probably :P

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Press the sacred crest on to the sea chart.

That puzzle was incredibly easy to me because I'd already experienced the same thing in Trace Memory, and again in Hotel Dusk. Apparently nobody played those.

Trace Memory also had a puzzle where you had to close the DS halfway and look at the top screen reflected in the bottom screen.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    The Music Box puzzle in The Last Window was haaaaarddddd.

Cing were some real motherfuckers.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I hope I never have to deal with motion controls in Zelda again. If that happens I will die happy.

You may not have to, at least for the next one. Aonuma says that part of making Wind Waker HD is helping in creating the controls for the Wii U original.

I hope he's just talking about a couple specific gamepad features and not going back to full buttons. I bet a bunch of people would complain but I envision the gamepad basically being your pouch so when you want an item you have to reach down to it to get it, like how in Skyward Sword you were still running around while picking items but now you have to take your eyes of the screen or try to remember where you put something. Also no minimap, you have to take out your map on the gamepad.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

I hope he's just talking about a couple specific gamepad features and not going back to full buttons. I bet a bunch of people would complain but I envision the gamepad basically being your pouch so when you want an item you have to reach down to it to get it, like how in Skyward Sword you were still running around while picking items but now you have to take your eyes of the screen or try to remember where you put something. Also no minimap, you have to take out your map on the gamepad.

This sounds great in theory but there's no way it'd be fun in execution.

• Options
    I want them to bring in map notes from the DS games. However, I don't want it to feel like a requirement. I think if they are in fact ditching motion controls, they should make the game fully playable with the pro controller, but "enhanced" on the WiiU pad.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'd love to see an item that uses a sonar like ability to detect buried treasure. You leave it active and it pings when you get near something, ala the Rumble Stone in OoT.

Would make a cool addition to a burrowed boss encounter as well. Link is thrown into a Moblin pit with a burrowed worm monster. The worm is burrowed trying to attack from underneath. Link avoids the attacks by watching the gamepad and dodging when the worm is about to attack. After the player gets a hit or two in, the Moblins surrounding the pit start shooting fire arrows at Link. Now the player has to watch both screens.

Hectic and fun, right? :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I had Phantom Hourglass but just couldn't get into it. Didn't care for the stylus control.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Ooooookay...? The Maku Tree is telling me to go to Ambi's tower, even though I've only got 6 of 8 essences...wiki tells me I need all 8. Wtf?

You aren't going for the final boss. You're just breaking into Ambi's house to free the oracle. It's what's supposed to happen.

This discussion has been closed.