As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture, Nevar Forget.

• Options
    peticanoepeticanoe Registered User regular
    Speaking as somebody who takes an architect's crazy designs and makes drawings somebody could actually use to build something, Gehry's stuff makes me angry. It's just so ridiculously complicated and wasteful.

comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
    what's the deal with nerds and cthulu
    when C'thulhu rises all those jocks will finally get what's coming to them
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote:
    @Rolo the hell do you mean outside Seattle?

whoops

sorry I was thinking "just outside the space needle" and then wrote in "Seattle" instead

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    ah ok

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    This makes me want to go out and buy a couple architecture coffee table books. Any suggestions?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    My rival high school was designed by a guy who pretty much only did prisons outside of that one high school, and it showed. It was a source of much glorious derision.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    LTM wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    All this brutalism stuff looks really cool

In a "dystopian sci-fi future" kind of way

Like it looks great in a movie but I would not want to live there

So I sort of don't understand why anyone would build those things! Why not build things from the "happy eco-friendly white and swooshy sci-fi future" movies?

Apple wasn't around in the 50s-70s...

God I hate that look. I'd rather everything was all brutal and oppressive and dirty and shit than look like it came straight from a Mac ad.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Over here at least, tt was just a really weird architectural fad when these schools were being built.

But yes, the spaces are incredibly depressing. I specifically didn't go to UofT Scarborough because the place just looked so awful.

-Depressing Buildings-

can't wait to get my learn on

A lot of Colleges built between 1960 and 1990 look like this because of the threat of riots and damage to the buildings, along with serving as potential military sites during an invasion. During the cold war, colleges were deemed to have a high protest-gone-wrong rating and most financing companies wouldn't support construction unless the campuses made concessions in construction to minimize the possibility of riot damage, including building with heavy concrete, minimizing the amount of windows on first floors where possible, and ensuring narrow balconies on third floors or higher for defensive positions. The idea was to limit damage of the interiors of the building should students riot by limiting their abilities to enter the building, while ensuring that police or security forces within would be able to hold the buildings against a particularly violent populace.

If you look at colleges that have a long history, you'll see Ivy League-eqsue English themed buildings up until the mid fifties, then a sharp change to heavily fortified looking buildings until about 1990. when buildings once again started being built in more open styles (currently using lots of glass and open spaces as a sort of rejection of the former appearance).

A professor at our college does a lecture on it each year.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Rainier Tower is the ugliest thing.
    Rainier_Tower_in_Seattle.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I always find the idea of small-footprint buildings like that terrifying.

• Options
    Enc wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    Over here at least, tt was just a really weird architectural fad when these schools were being built.

But yes, the spaces are incredibly depressing. I specifically didn't go to UofT Scarborough because the place just looked so awful.

-Depressing Buildings-

can't wait to get my learn on

A lot of Colleges built between 1960 and 1990 look like this because of the threat of riots and damage to the buildings, along with serving as potential military sites during an invasion. During the cold war, colleges were deemed to have a high protest-gone-wrong rating and most financing companies wouldn't support construction unless the campuses made concessions in construction to minimize the possibility of riot damage, including building with heavy concrete, minimizing the amount of windows on first floors where possible, and ensuring narrow balconies on third floors or higher for defensive positions. The idea was to limit damage of the interiors of the building should students riot by limiting their abilities to enter the building, while ensuring that police or security forces within would be able to hold the buildings against a particularly violent populace.

If you look at colleges that have a long history, you'll see Ivy League-eqsue English themed buildings up until the mid fifties, then a sharp change to heavily fortified looking buildings until about 1990. when buildings once again started being built in more open styles (currently using lots of glass and open spaces as a sort of rejection of the former appearance).

A professor at our college does a lecture on it each year.

Oh hey, that's really interesting.

• Options
    Darmak wrote:
    LTM wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    All this brutalism stuff looks really cool

In a "dystopian sci-fi future" kind of way

Like it looks great in a movie but I would not want to live there

So I sort of don't understand why anyone would build those things! Why not build things from the "happy eco-friendly white and swooshy sci-fi future" movies?

Apple wasn't around in the 50s-70s...

God I hate that look. I'd rather everything was all brutal and oppressive and dirty and shit than look like it came straight from a Mac ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    build everything out of bare concrete and right angles

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    LTM wrote:

I like the one in the lower left though. Just giant eagles everywhere.

• Options
    Weaver wrote:
    LTM wrote:

I like the one in the lower left though. Just giant eagles everywhere.

Yeah, more buildings need gargoyles and/or perched statuary.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    build everything out of glass

johnhancocktowerbostonm.jpg

• Options
    Speaking of Waterloo, there has been a long-standing myth that the designers of the library (which looks a bit like a short version of the Rainier building) failed to account for the weight of the books and so it's slowly sinking. Totally untrue but fun to make fun of the engineers at UW.

Also the math building that Rolo posted before used to have a giant, two-storey hole in the middle of it for their mainframe (since filled in with offices). My dad still has a couple of his punchcards from when he was a student there. He was a computer science major when comp-sci was still part of the Math department.

comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
  • Options
    What is that, @JoeUser?

• Options
    LTM wrote:
    What is that, @JoeUser?

John Hancock Tower in Boston, based on the file name.

comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    LTM wrote:
    What is that, @JoeUser?

The Hancock Tower in Boston! You may have seen it on Fringe, where it's portrayed as the location of the Boston FBI.

• Options
    Want this house.

modernseattlehome_02.jpg

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    The issue with flat concrete is that it looks like ass the moment it gets even kinda dirty.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't like flat roofs in residential construction, at least not in Ontario. Too much chance of leaks and way too expensive to fix/replace.

edit: re concrete: the reason Biodome2 failed was because the concrete was still curing and taking CO2 out of the air years after it was poured. Took them a while to figure out why the balance was off.

edit2: also the Olympic Stadium in Montreal went hugely over budget because a lot of the pre-built concrete was pre-built wrong. I personally wouldn't go inside it today. Last time I was near it, big chunks of the copper-and-tar roof were falling off.

peticanoe on
    comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This is the Majesty Building, in Altamonte Springs

tumblr_l9wkztU29Z1qd31me.jpg

The building was funded by a religious group that was going to build a "skyscraper for god, from the people." They planned to do this via private donations and started work on it almost ten years ago. It went up quickly, then stopped as interest and money vanished and the project went way over budget. The city forced them o cover it in glass despite it being nothing but the bare-bones shell you can see at the bottom because it was such an eyesore. To date there are no plans to complete it.

Back when I lived in Orlando, it was my favorite building because you could see it from downtown, miles off to the north, all barren and alone. A mark of the follies for building on dreams.

Opposing that, this is my least favorite building:

5363993609_3e320d1717.jpg
    P1210738.JPG

This monstrosity was built on top of an otherwise beautiful place in North Carolina called Sugar Mountain. Bleached white concrete and absolutely ugly, it can be seen from miles upon miles around and never was filled with permanent tenants due to the hate of the locals constantly driving them away. It was considered such an eyesore that there are now laws in most of the Appalachian states preventing this sort of a building from ever being built again.

Enc on
  • Options
    peticanoe wrote:
    Speaking of Waterloo, there has been a long-standing myth that the designers of the library (which looks a bit like a short version of the Rainier building) failed to account for the weight of the books and so it's slowly sinking. Totally untrue but fun to make fun of the engineers at UW.

Also the math building that Rolo posted before used to have a giant, two-storey hole in the middle of it for their mainframe (since filled in with offices). My dad still has a couple of his punchcards from when he was a student there. He was a computer science major when comp-sci was still part of the Math department.

Oh the old sugar cube myth

IXqCq.jpg

god I wasted so much of my life there

• Options
    Rolo wrote:
    peticanoe wrote:

Oh the old sugar cube myth

IXqCq.jpg

god I wasted so much of my life there

mrR2y.jpg

this was kind of amusing though

• Options
    Enc wrote:
    This monstrosity was built on top of an otherwise beautiful place in North Carolina called Sugar Mountain. Bleached white concrete and absolutely ugly, it can be seen from miles upon miles around and never was filled with permanent tenants due to the hate of the locals constantly driving them away. It was considered such an eyesore that there are now laws in most of the Appalachian states preventing this sort of a building from ever being built again.

Oh, to live on Sugar Mountain
    With the barkers and the colored balloons,
    You can't be twenty on Sugar Mountain
    Though you're thinking that
    you're leaving there too soon,
    You're leaving there too soon.

• Options
    You know what school has a pretty nice campus? University of Guelph. It has a horrible Brutalist student centre/associated buildings:
    800px-Old_Jeremiah_at_University_of_Guelph%2C_Nov_18.jpg

But it also has War Memorial Hall

DSC_3879WarMemorialHall.jpg

and this, which I forget what it is (spoil'd for pretty big):
    University%20of%20Guelph%20II.jpg

They have this nifty old portico thing that's kind of in the middle of nowhere for some reason:
    Sep%203%20In%20University%20I.jpg

The new buildings are also pretty okay:
    University-of-Guelph-Hill-s-Pet-Nutrition-Primary-Healthcare-Centre-at-the-Ontario-Veterinary-College-design-by-Zeidler-Partn-588x442.jpg

comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
  • Options
    I like the St George campus a lot

Banner+Image.jpg

Although the indoor sections are old enough that everything feels a tad claustrophobic. I'm not sure if it's because the average head height was lower back when it was built or if they just didn't care as much when designing, but some of the ceilings come down way too low.

• Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    Is there where I can post a picture of the Transamerica Pyramid? Because I am

TransAm.jpg

smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    Just finished reading about:

Shard_London_Bridge_Complete.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shard_London_Bridge

Its like TransAmerica, only newer, and in London. Welcome to the modern skyscraper game, England.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    That things gonna look gaudy and stupid until there's another skyscraper built, though

One all alone just looks dumb

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    it's kind of weird that europe has no supertall skyscrapers while the united states and southeast asia are just blasting ahead in that area

I'm sure there are valid demographic reasons that decide these things but I want to live near the biggest possible building

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote:
    That things gonna look gaudy and stupid until there's another skyscraper built, though

One all alone just looks dumb

Gotta start somewhere.

Unless you're Russia, in which case you just build a bunch of buildings in the middle of what appears to be nothing.

640px-Moscow_City.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Capitals

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I... kinda dig Brutalism. The shapes used in the style really interest me, and the only thing I can really be turned down by are the massive blank slabs of concrete that can be prettied up no problem. It breaks the form of my familiar cookie-cutter housing arrangements without bizarre alienation of huge glass curves.

You just need to hire a hundred mural artists to cover all that stone.

The landscape must be covered by a cultural rainbow of ethnic cheer.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Ya, stuff like that should be painted lots and then it is great!

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    3610970-North_Beach_Mural_San_Francisco.jpg

The new face of the modern skyline

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    no, you can't paint it, that would ruin it

everything gray and drab forever

work on a weather control machine so you can have it raining all the time and you're in business

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    no, you can't paint it, that would ruin it

everything gray and drab forever

work on a weather control machine so you can have it raining all the time and you're in business
    i am not letting you be in charge of anything ever

• Options
    oh, you're no fun anymore

0BnD8l3.gif
This discussion has been closed.