As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Comic: Wednesday, Dec 14, 2011 - Scalzification

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited December 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-mW8LKWk-L.jpg

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Why would you have a sandwich after ice cream?

Kinda thought this would be the usual comic and cast we look for here too, just with someone else drawing it.

NNID: Rehab0
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Instead of trying to be cute, I'm just going say that this isn't very good.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    critical daddy overload

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:

These aren't the droids we're looking for?

'Cause you know, Star Wars reference!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I liked it.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    I don't understand the punch line.

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    The reference is to:

VvQSn.png
    Proper User Policy apparently means Simon Says.

Wasn't funny then either.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If I remember correctly, some Unix command or something that lets you do stuff. Someone can better explain it than I.

It awkwardly jams in a second, out-of-place punchline that was done by XKCD years ago. I mean XKCD even used sandwiches.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    It has an official website with additional explanations and details.
    http://www.sudo.ws/
    Sudo in a Nutshell

Sudo (su "do") allows a system administrator to give certain users (or groups of users) the ability to run some (or all) commands as root while logging all commands and arguments. Sudo operates on a per-command basis, it is not a replacement for the shell. Its features include:
    • The ability to restrict what commands a user may run on a per-host basis.
    • Sudo does copious logging of each command, providing a clear audit trail of who did what. When used in tandem with syslogd, the system log daemon, sudo can log all commands to a central host (as well as on the local host). At CU, all admins use sudo in lieu of a root shell to take advantage of this logging.
    • Sudo uses timestamp files to implement a "ticketing" system. When a user invokes sudo and enters their password, they are granted a ticket for 5 minutes (this timeout is configurable at compile-time). Each subsequent sudo command updates the ticket for another 5 minutes. This avoids the problem of leaving a root shell where others can physically get to your keyboard. There is also an easy way for a user to remove their ticket file, useful for placing in a .logout file.
    • Sudo's configuration file, the sudoers file, is setup in such a way that the same sudoers file may be used on many machines. This allows for central administration while keeping the flexibility to define a user's privileges on a per-host basis. Please see the samples sudoers file below for a real-world example.

SabreMau on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    Yes, it's the beginning of the terrible guest comics. Clench your buttock cheeks tight and hold on, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Who was responsible for this awkward comic?

Actually, if the mods are able to post a byline or something on these, it would be nice.

What is this I don't even.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I think it would've been perfect if it ended with the dad saying "just this once" and no other text.

I know we've gotten used to stinger jokes after the main one, but I don't think it's always necessary and in this case I'd say it hurt the overall comic.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Sometimes we bold for emphasis, sometimes we don't know why

• AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    All of the above.

Also, the kid is creepy. I like how the Dad looks like Kevin Smith though.

WNskB.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'm just... not at all a fan of this.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Instead of trying to be generous, I'm just going to say that it's pretty damn terrible.

Gaslight on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The kid looks like he (she?) is at least 15.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • mjrusso45mjrusso45 Registered User regular
    This is crap.

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    The sandwich part is completely unnecessary and doesn't make much sense without the first part of the joke

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Gonna agree with everything else that's been written here.

Come back, Mike!

EyQGd.jpg
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    I've spent the morning going to other forums and writing "no no, Mike is on vacation. This was a guest artist."

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Penny Arcade isn't like dinner or something. If the person who knows how to cook food isn't around, we might need the person who can't cook to try desperately to throw together dinner, because if we don't eat dinner, that's bad. We might even need to invite a terrible chef (but a good writer) over to make us dinner. With the comic, though, it's different. We can just... you know... not have Penny Arcade for a little while. Things can stop. They don't need to actively get bad.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    No one commented on the kid's face in panel 1? And hand in panel 2?

Oh brilliant
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    The kid looks like he (she?) is at least 15.

I get labeled as that grumpy old guy for complaining that boys these days have girly hair. I honestly cannot tell if this is a boy who needs a haircut, or a girl with man hands.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade isn't like dinner or something. If the person who knows how to cook food isn't around, we might need the person who can't cook to try desperately to throw together dinner, because if we don't eat dinner, that's bad. We might even need to invite a terrible chef (but a good writer) over to make us dinner. With the comic, though, it's different. We can just... you know... not have Penny Arcade for a little while. Things can stop. They don't need to actively get bad.

That's easy for us to say, but PA has had an uninterrupted streak of comics every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for how many years? I'm sure they feel I powerful sense of obligation to deliver something. PA is a business, after all, and its clear that they treat it professionally.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular

Man...

That boy has three arms.

Durkhanus wrote:

Man...

That boy has three arms.

That's no moon boy.

WNskB.jpg
  • mjrusso45mjrusso45 Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

That's easy for us to say, but PA has had an uninterrupted streak of comics every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for how many years? I'm sure they feel I powerful sense of obligation to deliver something. PA is a business, after all, and its clear that they treat it professionally.

Treating it professionally would involve someone from PA reading this comic and sending it back for a re-write. I'm not even going to comment on the artwork, since that's a style/taste thing, other than to say I don't think that was very good either.

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    It is frustrating. If he had left out the last five speech bubbles it would be passable (but bland).

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Artwork is ok. That's about it.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

If I've provided an uninterrupted stream of delicious meals over the years, that doesn't mean I should get my friend serve shit if I'm going to be out of town on Wednesday. PA is a business, but it's a business built on delivering awesome comics to the fans, not on putting ANYTHING AT ALL up according to schedule. If we had all paid our subscription fee, then yes, I guess they would be contractually obligated to give us this our daily comic even if they had to resort to making it awful, but Penny Arcade is free! If it doesn't happen for a day, we can live with that!

I think Tycho should've just done a comic edit. I've done a bunch and they're pretty easy. And replacing the words in an already drawn comic can lead to a perfectly good new comic!

scalzi.png

• XenoZergieXenoZergie Registered User regular
    Seriously, what is going on in the third panel?

I have all of the Old Man's War books by Scalzi and enjoyed them thoroughly but a three panel comic is apparently not his forte.

The "kid sees Star Wars for the first time, tries to use Jedi mind tricks on parents" gag is not new or particularly funny, but relating it as a personal experience is kind of cute/heartwarming.

However, as others already noted, the second "joke" in the third panel is terrible and is completely out of place.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I'm not tearing into the artist, but I'd like to see some Kurtz guest comics. PVP is great and all but I'd like to see what sorts of fun he'd have with PA.

Yes I know about that comic.

It is different for us. If they didn't post a week of comics we would still come back because we are already here, but we are a minority. Most of their readers have a routine where they check PA three times a week. If they didn't post anything some percentage of those people would fall out of the routine and they would lose readers.

I'm not tearing into the artist, but I'd like to see some Kurtz guest comics. PVP is great and all but I'd like to see what sorts of fun he'd have with PA.

Yes I know about that comic.

Screw Kurtz, gimme Kris! :D

WNskB.jpg
  • kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Tycho, my friend, you are not white trash. This is coming from a white southern boy descended from people who still live "in th' holler."

Talk to me after you've eaten roadkill. (deer x 2, rattlesnake)

kingworks on
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I suppose this is better than no comic at all, but barely.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So yeah, who is going to be getting a print of this?

Me? Pencil me down for four or five.

• UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out if this is ironically bad. Maybe it's a satire of nerdy web-comics like PA and XKCD. Genius.

(Seriously though Mike and Jerry should have screened this shit. Then again, I can imagine it would be pretty difficult to turn something down after you requested a guest comic.)

• agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    A bad guest comic is like a piece of macaroni artwork made by someone else's kid.

I feel bad for Scalzi. I love his books, but this was just a complete failure. Even Bill Amend's post-PAX groaner (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/09/09) was better than this.