Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Je Veux Te [Chat]

1131416181996

Posts

  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Organichu wrote:
    i'll straight kill motherfuckers

    i'll make bodies, ok?

    bodies

    Chu be countin' bodies like bitches be countin' calories

    PSN: Honkalot
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    wow this sure is a dicussion i walked in on

    Wussy.

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    i'll straight kill motherfuckers

    i'll make bodies, ok?

    bodies

    pffft with what
    you'll throw bullets at me?
    or did you sell those too

    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    wait how is turbon-word (not gonna spell it out because I got infracted for the norwegian word) a gay band?

    ftOqU21.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    21stCentury I am curious as to how you feel about private gun ownership.

    Well, that's a thorny subject...

    Personally, i don't approve of people owning guns for the sake of personal protection because, well, i don't really see how guns "prevent" violent crime. Not in thesense that I don't believe people can shoot a home invader but more that I don't believe shooting a would-be invader prevents violence. But yeah, I wouldn't force people to change since it's a deeply personal issue of choosing non-violence.

    I'll admit to something, however, i'd be nervous if a close friend would choose to carry a gun around. A gunfight can turn into a clusterfuck so quickly.

    This sort of attitude is so far from my worldview, I really struggle to understand it. Would you not defend yourself if attacked?

    Well, really, if someone is willing to kill me over my stuff, i'd rather not get in their way since i'm not willing to die so that my PS3 can go to my sister's boyfriend. Fact is, I'd rather die than kill another person.

    Of course, it depends what you mean by "attack". If i'm mugged, i'll hand over my money. If someone wants to kill me out of anger or something, well... I don't know, i'm not willing to fight to the death, really.

    if someone wants to just fight me? I don't think i ever had to fight someone in my life, don't really see how that could happen, but i guess i'd just take it.

    Wow. Really?

    That seems incredibly selfish.

    It kind of does, yes. Really 21st you'd just stand there and let someone beat your ass, and be ok with that because you didn't add to the violence? You'd really stand aside as someone bashed in your sisters face, and not do anything?

    If you came on someone in an alley getting raped, you wouldnt try to stop it yourself?

  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    i'll straight kill motherfuckers

    i'll make bodies, ok?

    bodies

    pffft with what
    you'll throw bullets at me?
    or did you sell those too

    Oh, snap

  • 21stCentury21stCentury Bismuth OS Fully Operational 2019-07-12 - KeystoneRegistered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

    i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

    'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Ok selfish is the wrong word, but the position is smacks of privilege and yeah, totally alien.

    Nah, selfish is the right word.

    It's exactly what 'true' pacifism is. All societies are founded on force, and abdicating that responsibility whilst almost always a sensible idea, breaks down when you take it to extremes.

    You're unduly burdening everyone else through its practice.

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

    i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

    'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

    you have loved ones, brainiac

    ftOqU21.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

    i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

    'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

    Doesn't that mean you're placing the attacker's loved ones (which may or may not exist) over your own?

  • 21stCentury21stCentury Bismuth OS Fully Operational 2019-07-12 - KeystoneRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    21stCentury I am curious as to how you feel about private gun ownership.

    Well, that's a thorny subject...

    Personally, i don't approve of people owning guns for the sake of personal protection because, well, i don't really see how guns "prevent" violent crime. Not in thesense that I don't believe people can shoot a home invader but more that I don't believe shooting a would-be invader prevents violence. But yeah, I wouldn't force people to change since it's a deeply personal issue of choosing non-violence.

    I'll admit to something, however, i'd be nervous if a close friend would choose to carry a gun around. A gunfight can turn into a clusterfuck so quickly.

    This sort of attitude is so far from my worldview, I really struggle to understand it. Would you not defend yourself if attacked?

    Well, really, if someone is willing to kill me over my stuff, i'd rather not get in their way since i'm not willing to die so that my PS3 can go to my sister's boyfriend. Fact is, I'd rather die than kill another person.

    Of course, it depends what you mean by "attack". If i'm mugged, i'll hand over my money. If someone wants to kill me out of anger or something, well... I don't know, i'm not willing to fight to the death, really.

    if someone wants to just fight me? I don't think i ever had to fight someone in my life, don't really see how that could happen, but i guess i'd just take it.

    Wow. Really?

    That seems incredibly selfish.

    It kind of does, yes. Really 21st you'd just stand there and let someone beat your ass, and be ok with that because you didn't add to the violence? You'd really stand aside as someone bashed in your sisters face, and not do anything?

    If you came on someone in an alley getting raped, you wouldnt try to stop it yourself?

    Uh, if someone bashed in my sister's face, i mentioned i'd be willing to sacrifice myself, didn't I?

    but fine, i'm a selfish prick.

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Kind of flip side of that.
    My wife asked me if someone murdered her if I'd kill them two nights ago. I said yes immediately. Like its not even a question. Some crimes are so horrible and personally devastating to me that I'm OK bypassing normal ethics or social norms. Fuck that guy, fuck the law, fuck ethics if you killed my wife, or something similar, the first decision would be how, not if.

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Bismuth OS Fully Operational 2019-07-12 - KeystoneRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

    i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

    'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

    you have loved ones, brainiac

    not a lot, to be quite honest.

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    21stCentury I am curious as to how you feel about private gun ownership.

    Well, that's a thorny subject...

    Personally, i don't approve of people owning guns for the sake of personal protection because, well, i don't really see how guns "prevent" violent crime. Not in thesense that I don't believe people can shoot a home invader but more that I don't believe shooting a would-be invader prevents violence. But yeah, I wouldn't force people to change since it's a deeply personal issue of choosing non-violence.

    I'll admit to something, however, i'd be nervous if a close friend would choose to carry a gun around. A gunfight can turn into a clusterfuck so quickly.

    This sort of attitude is so far from my worldview, I really struggle to understand it. Would you not defend yourself if attacked?

    Well, really, if someone is willing to kill me over my stuff, i'd rather not get in their way since i'm not willing to die so that my PS3 can go to my sister's boyfriend. Fact is, I'd rather die than kill another person.

    Of course, it depends what you mean by "attack". If i'm mugged, i'll hand over my money. If someone wants to kill me out of anger or something, well... I don't know, i'm not willing to fight to the death, really.

    if someone wants to just fight me? I don't think i ever had to fight someone in my life, don't really see how that could happen, but i guess i'd just take it.

    Wow. Really?

    That seems incredibly selfish.

    It kind of does, yes. Really 21st you'd just stand there and let someone beat your ass, and be ok with that because you didn't add to the violence? You'd really stand aside as someone bashed in your sisters face, and not do anything?

    If you came on someone in an alley getting raped, you wouldnt try to stop it yourself?

    Uh, if someone bashed in my sister's face, i mentioned i'd be willing to sacrifice myself, didn't I?

    but fine, i'm a selfish prick.

    you did say you wouldn't be able to fight - how are you unable to fight?

    Just curious.

    Ignore these other people, they have a tendency to get their hate on for viewpoints they disagree with.

    ftOqU21.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

    i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

    'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

    but you'd let someone get raped

  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    Guys I'm gonna have to cut my rock star hair before the meet up :(

  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Nobody is talking about self-sacrifice. On the contrary, this seems to have become an examination of why you're so eager to sacrifice yourself at the behest of an assailant.

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

    i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

    'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

    but you'd let someone get raped

    what the hell?

    He didn't say that.

    ftOqU21.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    21st, would it surprise you to know that I now feel the same about going somewhere with you, that you feel about going somewhere with an armed friend? It would seriously make me a bit nervous to go somewhere in public with you.

  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:
    Podly wrote:

    This list, it is pure gold.
    George Michael (texan)
    Toby Keith (cowboy)
    Black People

    I don't think the last one is a band, I've hard of the Black Kids, but not Black People.
    Scissor Sisters
    Turbonegro

    Oscar Wilde is considered a "reformed homosexual" by these idiots?

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Urgh, you guys are kinda annoying people right now

    ftOqU21.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Bismuth OS Fully Operational 2019-07-12 - KeystoneRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

    i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

    'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

    but you'd let someone get raped

    You're right. Good job, you won the argument.

  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    inaction is acceptance

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Nobody is talking about self-sacrifice. On the contrary, this seems to have become an examination of why you're so eager to sacrifice yourself at the behest of an assailant.

    Or why you're willing to put the ethical and emotional burden of stopping a murderer through violence on someone else.

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

    everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

    People can be weird. I've been in situations where I felt the most probable outcome of events was my death. In those times where only I was going to die, I've had the urge to live but by fleeing. In terms of fight or flight my reaction was flight. When others were at risk as well my reaction was fight. Long amounts of soul searching lead me to think I likely wouldn't kill to save my own life. But I would to save the life of another. I'm not a proponent of that for others, I don't expect or encourage non-violence in self defense situations with others.

    We can discuss why but the simple answer is people are weird.

  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    You guys feed on dumb arguments and hypotheticals don't you.

  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    am i missing fun times in here? stupid space suits costing me valuable forum drama time.

    ok98TNK.png
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    This "Love God's Way" business is too Poe's Law for me. I just can't tell.

    They're right about Coldplay, though.

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hey Cass, can I borrow you on AIM if you're still around?

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    You guys feed on dumb arguments and hypotheticals don't you.

    I suspect all the liberal hippies in here post while high on marijuana.

  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    You guys feed on dumb arguments and hypotheticals don't you.

    Rhetorical, eh? EIGHT!

  • 21stCentury21stCentury Bismuth OS Fully Operational 2019-07-12 - KeystoneRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    21st, would it surprise you to know that I now feel the same about going somewhere with you, that you feel about going somewhere with an armed friend? It would seriously make me a bit nervous to go somewhere in public with you.

    Geez, do you live in a warzone that you'd be nervous hanging around a guy willing to give his life to let you flee a dangerous situation?

  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Like, I'm a vegetarian. I feel very strongly about animal rights and animal suffering.

    But if I'm shipwrecked, and it's me and a cow? The only question would be whether I could build a BBQ grill out of coconuts and conch shells.

  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    I would rather be selfish through inaction than live on terrible hypotheticals. That is a fate worse than death.

  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:
    Podly wrote:

    This list, it is pure gold.
    George Michael (texan)
    Toby Keith (cowboy)
    Black People

    I don't think the last one is a band, I've hard of the Black Kids, but not Black People.
    Scissor Sisters
    Turbonegro

    Well, those are both bands, and the first one at least is pretty reasonable to see on the list, although they are fantastic and put on a great live show.

    Haven't really listened to much turbonegro because there's very little punk I like, but I remember seeing them on my old roommates mp3 player in his car.

    There's a lot of bands there that I'm having a hard time remembering doing anything non-hetero-normative.

    I mean, when I think of bands that might have some kind of gay agenda, the Spin Doctors certainly don't come to mind.

    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    You guys feed on dumb arguments and hypotheticals don't you.

    What would you say if I said 'yes'?

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    PantsB wrote:
    Kind of flip side of that.
    My wife asked me if someone murdered her if I'd kill them two nights ago. I said yes immediately. Like its not even a question. Some crimes are so horrible and personally devastating to me that I'm OK bypassing normal ethics or social norms. Fuck that guy, fuck the law, fuck ethics if you killed my wife, or something similar, the first decision would be how, not if.
    watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png?1320774627

    Leitner on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    21st, would it surprise you to know that I now feel the same about going somewhere with you, that you feel about going somewhere with an armed friend? It would seriously make me a bit nervous to go somewhere in public with you.

    I dunno, in my mind he's more an unarmed Secret Service agent, who's only option is to dive on every incoming bullet or knife. It's like that "I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you" joke.

    nibXTE7.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I didn't know anyone in Turbonegro was gay. I'm not familiar with them so it isn't that surprising, but I saw them play with Queens of the Stone Age and there was nothing in their music or performance to suggest that they weren't all straight rockers.

This discussion has been closed.