As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Je Veux Te [Chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    and when a man is acting like a, well, a dick, he is compared to the genitals of a man.

Well, yes, being an aggressive, jerk is a trait we've attached to historical notions of masculinity.

period

that's all! It doesn't matter beyond that!

We're not gonna keep thinking like that because we use dick and pussy

words don't form thought

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ludious wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    Oh I got in TOR yesterday. I have a level 5 mans. The voice acting is pretty amazing

what class is your mans

uhh Jedi Knight because I am playing a game with fucking Jedi Knights

Hokey religions, ancient weapons, etc etc.

e: ancient fucking aliens.

thehumandignity on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote:
    Honestly surprised the idea of random violence is so alien to some of you guys.

I thought you got that in basically all cities with poor white people.

(white people are the worst for this, they're basically awful)

I've personally never seen or experienced an act of random violence.

Well, I guess there was that time a girl pulled a steak knife out of her purse while she was using my cellphone, but, she was stabbing at the air and cursing at the person on the other end of the phone, not me.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    i am not arguing for a particular end here

but i do think it's a little depressing when people get anti-intellectual and just like, refuse to engage a discussion on its merits and just go COME ON ARE YOU KIDDING

it reminds me of a low class redneck thing, 'well i don't know nothing bout that book learning but round bout where i live we talk how we talk and that's the way it is'

That's, like, most of our discussions, here.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I am slightly confused.

Why are so many of you getting your panties in a twist over what has been a rather civil conversation so far.
    because the F word makes people shit the bed before it even begins

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    The word is so far removed from it's original misogynistic meaning that when someone says "pussy" it isn't calling them a woman so much as acting as a synonym for "wimp" or "weak" but more of a swear word version of it.

Words evolve, sorry, the origin was misogynistic, the word is no longer such.

my favorite example of this is, of course, Mr. Pratchett.

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
    Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
    Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
    Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
    Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
    Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
    The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
    No one ever said elves are nice.
    Elves are bad.”

We use none of those words this way.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Leitner wrote:

huh

around here it is mostly black folks

but my city has a plurality of black folks so it makes sense

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    period

words don't form thought

But thought is formed in words.

• Options
    Leitner wrote:

'cism

also alot of us aren't living in cities with poor white people :whistle:

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote:

lived in London for like 3 years

experienced no random violence.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    and when a man is acting like a, well, a dick, he is compared to the genitals of a man.

Well, yes, being an aggressive, jerk is a trait we've attached to historical notions of masculinity.

period

words don't form thought
    what of course words influence thought
    what the hell?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I am slightly confused.

Why are so many of you getting your panties in a twist over what has been a rather civil conversation so far.
    It's one of those topics that comes up on a semi regular basis. There's no new ground to tread. The conclusion is that ideas, objects, words and people can all evolve beyond their own origins without becoming entirely divorced from them in every single way. To trace back word origins seeking offence is just silly.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    We also say that bad things "suck dick". Does that imply we hate the gays and the women? What about if a bisexual girl said it? How about blowing goats?

the connotation there is that the activity in question conveys submission and thus weakness, which is bad and thus can be used as a pejorative

like when you tell someone to suck your dick, you're saying "acknowledge my dominance over you, which is proven beyond a doubt by the fact that you are servicing me sexually"

or at least, that's the origin for it. nobody is thinking that. in most cases i think they're just following linguistic patterns they've absorbed.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

period

words don't form thought
    what the hell?

not a lot, no

Sapir–Whorf hypothesis hasn't been in high standing in a while

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    is sucking an entire bag of dicks better or worse than one dick

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Left-handed people are worse than the Holocaust.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    period

words don't form thought

actually no, that hypothesis has been largely rejected

there is lots of talk about a specific "thought language" or mode of thought that is distinct from the verbal

but it is also widely acknowledged that language has a powerful effect on thought

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I am slightly confused.

It's one of those topics that comes up on a semi regular basis. There's no new ground to tread. The conclusion is that ideas, objects, words and people can all evolve beyond their own origins without becoming entirely divorced from them in every single way. To trace back word origins seeking offence is just silly.

Well, see, I'm slightly confused here, because, I've never once mentioned tracing back words to their origins, but, everyone else seems like I'm really excited about doing that.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    period

words don't form thought

not really, no. You can think without a language.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I think the most interesting thing about word/character arguments is that on the whole, people actively censor themselves based on where they are and who they are with, yet they are willing to totally pretend that there is a mechanistic definition of every word and it only means what you think it means and that it never causes a problem anywhere

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yes pussy is exactly like the n word. How succinct.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

period

words don't form thought
    what the hell?

not a lot, no

i'm gonna be honest: i think you just googled or wiki'd this, like, in the past 3 minutes and you've never heard that phrase before in your life

• Options
    is sucking an entire bag of dicks better or worse than one dick

depends on how you acquired that bag, frankly.

• Options
    actually no, that hypothesis has been largely rejected

there is lots of talk about a specific "thought language" or mode of thought that is distinct from the verbal

but it is also widely acknowledged that language has a powerful effect on thought

Well, clearly I am somewhat out of date on my readings. I'll still settle for "it's widely acknowledged that language as a powerful effect on thought" though.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I am slightly confused.

Because this same debate has occurred a half dozen times for scores of pages over the last few months

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    Yes pussy is exactly like the n word. How succinct.
    see this is exactly what I'm talking about
    why does this lazy stuff get pulled out when we discuss stuff like this

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

period

words don't form thought
    what the hell?

not a lot, no

i'm gonna be honest: i think you just googled or wiki'd this, like, in the past 3 minutes and you've never heard that phrase before in your life

was it the caps? Because I had to google the spelling :P

Nah I read a thing on 1984's newspeak a while back and why it wouldn't work as intended

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Anyway leitner those kids suck and were obviously just jealous off how handsome you are

This clearly drove them into a rage which they could only express by disrupting the social contract

• Options
    Also, really, come on...

NONE of you picked up on my "panties in a twist" joke in a discussion about how using the word pussy propagates certain notions of masculinity/femininity?

I AM DISAPPOINT.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I am slightly confused.

People wouldn't shout the words if the weren't offensive. When people shout the p-word or the d-word, they're trolling. They're trying to get a reaction from their edgy vocabulary to make some sort of non-point that no one's going to want to reply to. Unless you're a member of the Westboro Baptist Church, shouting the f-word makes everyone who hears it uncomfortable.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Organichu wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

period

words don't form thought
    what the hell?

not a lot, no

worfm.jpg

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, pussy originated from a word that meant pocket. Pussy is more aptly describing slang language anyway, so if we're going to be super pedantic you can't even use the word to mean that. Weak like a cat, as opposed to a dog, I always said.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PantsB wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I am slightly confused.

Because this same debate has occurred a half dozen times for scores of pages over the last few months

And we talk about LoL and WoW and soon ToR all the time too.

Deal with it.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    instead how about we say "suck my thumb"

wait that might imply that we are better tahn animals without opposed thumbs oh noooooo

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    desc wrote:
    Anyway leitner those kids suck and were obviously just jealous off how handsome you are

This clearly drove them into a rage which they could only express by disrupting the social contract

tldr: pussies

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Also, really, come on...

NONE of you picked up on my "panties in a twist" joke in a discussion about how using the word pussy propagates certain notions of masculinity/femininity?

I AM DISAPPOINT.

This is no time for nuance, Inqui.

This is a time for yelling at each other and ignoring counterpoints.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    i feel like it's pretty evident that thoughts have more effect on the world around us when they are articulated

and the articulation of thought must occur through language

but i also feel like curses and pejoratives have a double life - a lot of the time we are just repeating linguistic patterns we've absorbed as potent pejorative phrases, but we are also certainly aware of the offensive connotations surrounding racial slurs, words like "bitch," sexual slurs, etc.

This discussion has been closed.