As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help, I'm deployed and can't run Steam offline

LordArgothLordArgoth Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
I recently deployed to somewhere that I can't connect my laptop to the internet. I didn't know that to run steam offline you had to set that up online first. I'm trying to find a workaround to no success. Running the game's exe directly doesn't work. The only other solution I could find online was to make a cfg file named steam.cfg and put
BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable ForceOfflineMode=enable
in it, and then place that file in the same location as your steam .exe. I didn't know how to create a cfg file, so I copied a pre-existing one and used notepad to edit the content to what I have above (just typing .cfg after the file name did not work, it still remained a text file). Needless to say, it did not work. My two theories about why it failed are:
1) That line of command or whatever is just wrong. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it similarily?
2) Creating the cfg like that was wrong/having it opened by notepad by default is messing it up. In which case I don't know what the default program or whatever is.

Has anyone had/solved this problem? If so, please help.

LordArgoth on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Whats your OS?

on Win7 I know for a fact, that you have to make it show file extensions first, then save the text file as whatever you need, like steam. which would be steam.txt

With extensions visible, when you go to rename a file you can delete the extention and change it. So you can rename steam.txt to steam.cfg.

• Options
    I actually went back and managed to do that in between my first post, and reading your answer. I created the .cfg the right way, however it still didn't work... I am on Win7 by the way.

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    How are you posting this?

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The configuration probably isn't the real problem. If Steam knows that it has an update ready, but hasn't downloaded and installed it yet, it'll refuse to work offline. And Steam gets a lot of updates. If you can get the computer connected to the internet for just a couple of minutes, you can let Steam patch itself, set it to always start offline, and then it should work indefinitely until you connect it again. But I'm not aware of a workaround that lets you bypass an update altogether.

EDIT: There's a small chance that deleting everything in your Steam directory except the folders and the Steam executable (or rather moving it somewhere else so you have a backup) will help, as that can fix some configuration issues, but I doubt it.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I am guessing he is using DOD internet or some such if its like the Coast Guards CGDN, you can surf some of the web on government workstations but you can not connect personal devices for use.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This is gonna be shit when I go on Active Duty. I mean I'm going to Mississipi for tech school first but....

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Corky: HyperAquaBlast is right, I can't connect personal computers or drives.

I guess I'll try your suggestion Wyvern. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    When I want to make steam start up in offline mode without issues I disable the network adaptor in windows settings. An easy right click to re-enable when my net is working again.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Yeah, I kinda do the same thing, Mang (albeit with less finesse). If Steam is being a pain, trying to connect to my shitty internet, or whatever, I usually just unplug my wireless adapter-dongle-thing and it quits trying to do...whatever it is it's trying to do....and it works. Then I plug the thing back in and go about my business.

No clue if that's even remotely useful or applicable here but it's worth a shot, at least.

• Options
    Shutting off my network adapter is definitely worth a shot. Thanks to everybody for their advice by the way.

• Options
    Does anyone know a way to run games in your steam library without having to run steam?

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Some games will run if you go to their containing folder and run the .exe, but it depends on the game unfortunately. Most will try to open the Steam client, but you might get lucky.

Sorry we can't help you any more than that, sounds like you're in a crappy situation.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I don't know what your situation is like there, but perhaps you can enable tethering on a cell phone. The speed will be absolute crap, but it should be enough to connect to steam and enable offline mode. (or if its a laptop perhaps you could take it somewhere where they have internet access)

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    greeble wrote:
    I don't know what your situation is like there, but perhaps you can enable tethering on a cell phone. The speed will be absolute crap, but it should be enough to connect to steam and enable offline mode. (or if its a laptop perhaps you could take it somewhere where they have internet access)
    This is what I did the last time I randomly lost my internet connection for an extended period of time. I could probably dig up the tutorial I used if it's actually feasible wherever you are.

• Options
    Tethering would work. But the nature of what I do here doesn't allow me a cellphone, and I've yet to find any big army places on this camp that has a wireless connection :(

• Options
    Funny enough I'm going into cyber operations when I start active duty to protect the intertubes.

• Options
    bah, I want mine unprotected

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    This is a major annoyance with steam. Can't believe there isn't wireless somewhere on post or whatever you ground pounders call it ;)

Even if there is it may be 'protected' as in most ports blocked, etc.

Anyone you know traveling back for R&R soon? Maybe send it with them and have them ship it back all ready to go?

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Funny enough I'm going into cyber operations when I start active duty to protect the intertubes.

That's the fancy new name for computer operators .... Also known as print toner jockeys to us programmers. Course, that was awhile ago :)

• Options
    I may just have to give up the ghost here. I think that still leaves me with... half a copy of company of heroes, and maybe KOTOR 2

• Options
    Bigity wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

That's the fancy new name for computer operators .... Also known as print toner jockeys to us programmers. Course, that was awhile ago :)

Then I hope I can get into A-Shunt at the end of Tech School and get the flight suit :(

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Is there a way to download the Steam update via their site, and then you can burn to a disk and then put it in your machine? I'm not sure if the USAF Base I was on allowed that, but it might be worth a shot.

• Options
    That... Is a great idea. I'll have my wife send that to me in her next package. Thank you.

• Options
    I would be very, very surprised if you could move a Steam install to a whole new computer without one online check. I've never tried it myself, though, so it might be worth a shot.