Options

[StarCraft2] Trash micro but win--is marine.

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    i moan about zvz pretty much constantly buuuuuuuut

outside of the early game triangle of early pool vs 15 hatch vs 14gas/14pool, and the couple baneling/speedling all-ins or roach rushes you can do from there, pretty much any composition has a chance to work against any other, provided you scout properly and know what your opponent is doing

edit: even in those early-game situations picking the wrong build just puts you at a disadvantage vs your opponent

sure, theoretically a player should never lose that advantage in a mirror matchup, but no one is nearly good enough at this game for that to be true yet so

the volatility of banelings and how hard they punish even the slightest micro mistake means keeping hold of the advantage is even harder

Biosys on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I mean... 10 pool DOES auto-win against 15 hatch. Which is why 15 hatch fell out of regular use by a lot of professional zergs in ZvZ.

But the next closest "autowin" situation is when you 14 pool against hatch first and also completely fail to pressure the hatch first with your faster ling speed and/or banes. Which is actually just squandering the strategic advantage given by your opener vs theirs, moreso than a build order loss.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    we're up to 27 entrants for the tournament and there's still ten days to go before we have it! This is shaping up to be an excellent day!

• Options
    Pretty cool to get so many sign ups.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    i think its partly a factor of it being so long since the last real tournament. we had one in september but that was just some offracing fun mostly, the last real one was July.

and partly a factor of the last few months being so amazing for sc2 spectating that it draws people back to the game

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Major is going mech in TvP. Enjoy the spectacle of a certain terran loss - http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/TaKeTV

Edit: Spoke to soon, this protoss is not even close to Major's skill.

Hoz on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Also I'm not playing for sure, that's sure to bring in a lot of people who are usually scared off.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    i think its partly a factor of it being so long since the last real tournament. we had one in september but that was just some offracing fun mostly, the last real one was July.

and partly a factor of the last few months being so amazing for sc2 spectating that it draws people back to the game
    Also school semester is overrrrrrrrrrrr

• Options
    Lemming wrote:
    Also I'm not playing for sure, that's sure to bring in a lot of people who are usually scared off.

I think tannerms is the scary one these days

• Options
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Most frustrating thing in the world- my wife keeps calling as I'm pressuring a Z base. I finally answer, she just wants to chat, I mess up and go from a won game to behind.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Wow, she's pretty good at this game.

• Options
    PantsB wrote:
    Most frustrating thing in the world- my wife keeps calling as I'm pressuring a Z base. I finally answer, she just wants to chat, I mess up and go from a won game to behind.

"i'm playing a game at the moment" is my 100% get out of jail free "have this conversation later" device.

i have the best wife.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

"i'm playing a game at the moment" is my 100% get out of jail free "have this conversation later" device.

i have the best wife.

Normally that's fine, did not work this time. And so I go from even on food on 2 base vs a Z whose natural I just killed to my marines chasing mutas up a ramp into a swarm of lings and being down 40 food

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Is this what you are now, pants? A terran?

• Options
    Hoz wrote:
    Is this what you are now, pants? A terran?

Smurfing for a few weeks in Gold but now that I'm actually getting frustrated by it I think I'll probably finish the season on my main P in Plat

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:

And boom goes the dynamite.

I wonder how many SC2 nerds out there wish they had this kind of girlfriend XD

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    The chat is so pathetic.

• Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:

And boom goes the dynamite.

I wonder how many SC2 nerds out there wish they had this kind of girlfriend XD

Whatever man, I bet she doesn't even have bow hunting skills.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I just played orb on the korean ladder. (Got crushed)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's pretty cool, Sceptre. How did the game go? e: As in, what exactly happened?

kedinik on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I made a bunch of execution mistakes and a ling run by slaughtered my probe count. I started to cut corners to try and get back in the game, hoping he was getting mutalisks, so I rushed for templar. He went roach/hydra instead, so my army composition wasn't really ideal and he was able to keep me to three bases. I managed to max on templar/archon/stalker and pushed out into his maxed broodlord hydra army. I managed to kill the army, but there was just too much econ behind him at that point and he eventually overwhelmed me.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    My smurf is up to diamond MMR now, I think.

I played a diamond guy who tried to proxy hatch me, immediately pylon + two cannon'd the hatch and it did zero damage beyond that... he was then behind against my Nexus first FFE so I just killed him with blink stalkers.

@Dhal a warp prism helps a lot in that 2base blink stalker play. Being able to warp in more stalkers right on top of your army is actually really huge. Also it gives you the option to begin your push right inside his main, which can be devastating.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=246608

Big macro game on Shakuras PvZ. Both of us cut workers awkwardly low (60).

Turns out really fun. Carriers are involved. I suck at controlling spell casters.

• Options
    Its sort of a new discovery for me just how good storm is in all situations in PvZ.

As long as you aren't relying on storm as your only damage output, it actually does really well against mass roach if you have a decent core of stalkers and a couple Immortals.

• Options
    PlayhemTV uses the stronger team colours mod and my god it is awesome. I need to get this thing set up.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Search Teamliquid for "Stronger" in thread titles in SC2 general.

• Options
    i know where to find it, i'm just lazy

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    It was literally a drop one item into the folder affair.
    Now you have to get an MPQ editor and drop the textures in manually because Blizzard changed how some of that shit works, like the day after Dustin Browder was all "Oh yeah we think that mod is a great idea and we will look at doing something similar".

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    yeah I even have that set up I believe

pokebunny streaming and commentating. I have a hard time believing it's worth watching but I'll give it a shot.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    is that ladder resetting? soon?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Variable wrote:

Dec 20th i believe. its usually 1 wk after lock that it resets, and it locked on Dec 13th.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Dec 20th i believe. its usually 1 wk after lock that it resets, and it locked on Dec 13th.

Yes.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    was under the impression that it was actually the 19th

EDIT: "the week" of december 19th, as per http://sea.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/201620/Season_5_Ladder_Map_Pool_Update-12_15_2011#blog

so maybe the 20th

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    So, there was someone in chat who was on called BeNarwhal today and I was being silly and saying "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE NARWHAL" and I think I scared him away. :( I hope this is not the case.

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Way to go, narwhal. That person may never play SC2 again because of what you did to them.

• Options
    This is why I should go to bed before 11...

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    lemming is a stinky jerkface

• Options
    Lemming wrote:

See, I think more girls should play, but girls only tourneys are silly. I'd rather play the PA tourney with dudes, they're more fun :D

Narwhal#1834