As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me G&T you're my only hope.... at finding this game.

VikingViking Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
I am trying to find a game, the only problem is I have never played it and I am not sure it even exists.

What I am looking for is a specific subset of the city builder genre. Basically I want something similar to the Wii title "My life as a King" only on PC.
I have played Majesty (and the sequel) but it isn't quite what I am looking for.... though it is very close, less focus/control of the heroes and more on the running of the town would be preferred. Maybe something like Recettear only with more shops.

I am pretty sure there aren't any big budget titles that are what I am looking for but I am hoping there is at least 1 indie game out there.

steam_sig.png
Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
Viking on

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hinterland is much less about city building and much more about exploring and fighting things Action RPG style. I think he's looking for games that are more city-building, but you can also send adventurers off to their doom... erm, I mean, to glory. Majesty, unfortunately, would be my top choice for that sort of game.

You might want to look at the Stronghold series (Stronghold 2 or Crusader is probably closest to what you're looking for, maybe, but all of the Stronghold games are a bit different), The Sims Medieval, or The Settlers.

The "build a base and send soldiers off to adventure" mechanic is actually a mini-game in Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker, as you build Outer Heaven with Big Boss/Snake.

EDIT: Widelands looks interesting:
    http://wl.widelands.org/

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 knows the truth of it. thanks for confirming what I suspected, this is not a game I am likely to find on the PC

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It's currently in Alpha right now, but Towns seems like it may be what you are looking for.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    It's currently in Alpha right now, but Towns seems like it may be what you are looking for.
    Dwah. That does look promising. I don't even like city building games, and that looks entertaining to me.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm considering getting in on the Alpha fund for it through Desura. I need to get into the demo first though.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I didn't suggest Dungeon Keeper 2 but I thought about it a bit more and it might sort of fit the bill. Worth checking out at least.