As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kim Jong Il is dead, according to the AP.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I think it's pretty much inevitable, in a population of 24 million, that you're going to have a decent number of men over 2 meters tall. 24 million is a lot of people, even among a population generally considered short.

Now, is he going to have health complications? Yeah, quite possibly. Though some of these tall guys are more than likely better-off officers and soldiers in elite military units, such as those on the DMZ (where it's known the KPA selects above-average height soldiers to match the blatantly above-average height ROKA and US Army soldiers posted there too). Said exceptions are going to have access to better food, medical care, etc. This man might be one of those units (since it is an army procession) assuming it's not photoshoped.

On the subject of Juche, it's worth remembering that North Korea wasn't always like this. In the 1960s, the North Korean economy was growing faster than that of South Korea--in part due to huge, expensive 5-year-plans and domestic investment conducted with self-reliance in mind. Of course, this was also due to aid from the USSR and other allies (then again, the same was true about South Korea as well). Really, the catastrophe and subsequent famines resulted from the USSR's switch to support South Korea, Kim Jong Il's "army first" policy, and other changes in policy. Now, the average person--probably no more than the average American participates in actual democracy, with low voting rates in national elections and disinterest from those who actually do vote. "Self-reliance" can be kind of intangible and vague on a personal level, like "democracy".

• Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Has this been posted yet?

0vUNN.jpg

And here's the photo reference for Kim Jong Un. Spoilered for big
    kim-jong-un.jpg

kfrooster on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    creepy

Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Dear Leader's tendency to shower himself with opulence and the government's incredible amount of propaganda and police-state control probably don't help the economy much either.

• Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    That's a cheaper watch than I expected him to have.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Holy shit, that's a scary expression.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2012
    NK sends people to camps for "insufficient mourning"
    Daily NK learned from a source from North Hamkyung Province on January 10th, “The authorities are handing down at least six months in a labor-training camp to anybody who didn’t participate in the organized gatherings during the mourning period, or who did participate but didn’t cry and didn't seem genuine.”

Echo on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    I've been reading DailyNK for a good four years or so now

and as much as I dig the website and find it's insights interesting most of the time, i wonder if there's a more legit news site reporting on prison for insufficient mourning, because DailyNK has a clear and consistent agenda towards which it works. it's an agenda i generally support, but it also makes them somewhat less reliable then i'd like i think

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    kfrooster wrote:
    Has this been posted yet?

Kim19.jpg

And here's the photo reference for Kim Jong Un. Spoilered for big
    Kim Jong 19.jpg
    "Soon I will have all of your energy.. by starving my people"

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    http://gawker.com/5884033/chinese-twitter-says-kim-jong+un-was-assassinated-this-morning-in-beijing

Tweets from China claiming that Jong Un was assassinated at the embassy in China. Probably nonsense, but I figured I'd share.

• Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    Ego wrote:
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    MrIamMe wrote:
    Go back 10 years in the US, and tell your younger self what the US will be like now (with half the companies bankrupt, huge unemployment, etc) - would you believe yourself?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bush-our-long-national-nightmare-of-peace-and-pros,464/
    Holy shit, that was really written in 2001?
    On the economic side, Bush vowed to bring back economic stagnation by implementing substantial tax cuts, which would lead to a recession, which would necessitate a tax hike, which would lead to a drop in consumer spending, which would lead to layoffs, which would deepen the recession even further.

It's pretty sad when the Onion has more informative news articles than the Washington Post, which just ran a full page editorial crying about the deficit.

It's kind of disturbing that satire done by Stewart / Colbert and, I don't believe I'm writing this, The Onion are starting to be more and more accurate reflections of reality, while 'News' and other current affairs programming are becoming less and less accurate reflections of reality.

That's because huge swaths of the population have legitimized the insane.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Yall wrote:
    http://gawker.com/5884033/chinese-twitter-says-kim-jong+un-was-assassinated-this-morning-in-beijing

Tweets from China claiming that Jong Un was assassinated at the embassy in China. Probably nonsense, but I figured I'd share.

buu is not killed so easily

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    They only shot his first form

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Boring7 wrote:
    Dear Leader's tendency to shower himself with opulence and the government's incredible amount of propaganda and police-state control probably don't help the economy much either.
    Nope, I'm guessing it didn't.

On a side note, I'll come right out and say it--I like that tunic. I like the color in particular. If I had a Zhongshan suit that nice, I'd wear it constantly. Going to watch a movie? Zhongshan suit. Fancy dinner? Zhongshan suit. Breakout session to teach? Zhongshan suit.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote:
    Boring7 wrote:

On a side note, I'll come right out and say it--I like that tunic. I like the color in particular. If I had a Zhongshan suit that nice, I'd wear it constantly. Going to watch a movie? Zhongshan suit. Fancy dinner? Zhongshan suit. Breakout session to teach? Zhongshan suit.

Mostly agree, but I'd want something shorter for warmer weather. While it looks great next to other long coats, in the warm it looks too hot and makes you look too short for your clothes. Also, while it's a good suit tubby still needs to lose some weight.
    Yall wrote:

I just saw it on Forbes and said, "lol wut?" Is it too much to hope? Probably.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote:
    Yall wrote:

I just saw it on Forbes and said, "lol wut?" Is it too much to hope? Probably.

I don't believe it either, but it's an interesting concept whether it's true or false. Jong Un could keep up the status quo easily, but I doubt he would have a successor lined up. Control of the country would probably devolve to the military, meaning that the person who would normally be in charge of flipping out and firing a whole bunch of missiles at China would be too busy consolidating his own power.

• Options
    chief364chief364 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I made this comic the night I heard he died.

kim.png

It's a little late, but maybe some of you will find it amusing.

chief364 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Not really.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Honestly, Kim the Babyfaced is completely assassination bait. There are probably a dozen powerful and monstrous elder statesmen who'd like his place. Totalitarian dystopias are not run by nice people.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Not really.

:^:

No offense, chief, but that's pretty terrible. It's about as funny as a "That's what she said" joke.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Honestly, Kim the Babyfaced is completely assassination bait. There are probably a dozen powerful and monstrous elder statesmen who'd like his place. Totalitarian dystopias are not run by nice people.

I imagine the Kim dynasty serves as a rather convenient mascot for generals & ministers in NK. Build that cult of personality up and milk it for all it's worth.

...And there's also the likelihood that the Kims have some pretty nasty thugs at their disposal to prevent anyone from thinking about an armed coup.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    This photo of a picture of Kim il Sung won a prize at the World Press Photo awards.

kimilsung.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-16979784 (one picture there might be considered NSFW)

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular

But maybe they're just in on it. Have you thought of that? I bet they planted explosives inside him. The bullet hitting him couldn't have killed him, it wasn't going fast enough.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote:
    This photo of a picture of Kim il Sung won a prize at the World Press Photo awards.

kimilsung.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-16979784 (one picture there might be considered NSFW)

That is a gorgeous picture.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    And mutely horrrifying.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There's... there's nothing alive in that picture. Did Mr. Kim visit Silent Hill or something?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    It's probably just my upbringing, but besides the lit portrait, the photo didn't strike me as unusual initially. Growing up, I saw industrial districts in Taichung that looked very similar--but those weren't at night, so much as late afternoon during the rain season. And rather than being on a total blackout (sans portrait) as a result of insufficient electrical infrastructure, those were mostly the outcome of people saving electricity/leaving work.

Makes me think.
    Boring7 wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    Boring7 wrote:

Mostly agree, but I'd want something shorter for warmer weather. While it looks great next to other long coats, in the warm it looks too hot and makes you look too short for your clothes. Also, while it's a good suit tubby still needs to lose some weight.

Well, it's a autumn/spring thing too. But yes, I wouldn't want to wear one during a Georgia summer (or in the 100% humidity of Taiwan in June).

At the risk of betraying racial bias, I do think Zhongshan suits look kind of odd on white people. People from East Asia or the Indian subcontinent? Looks good. But it'd be like finding a Chinese man dressed as a Puritan pilgrim or a Italian renaissance man. Sure, it's not bad, but it's a bit....off.

And that's the beauty of the Zhongshan suit. Not only can you wear it for 3/4 of the year, it looks good both for fat guys and skinny ones.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I don't get it. What's lighting the portrait up if they're experiencing a blackout?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tell you why that picture is great!

Now I know that the rooftops are actually blue, anyone who looked at Pyongyang on Google Maps should have been curious about this. I thought they were painted blue on the satellite photos.

Now the only question is why so many rooftops are blue, that's the true enigma of North Korea.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Probably reserve power kept solely for the portrait. Which is sad in its own right.

Or they might be exercising the usual (in North Korea) mandated electricity conservation procedure, and they make an exception for the portrait. Also kind of sad. Though not unusual for monuments in general--I imagine eternal flames in various American monuments would be kept lit even if the country entered another petroleum crisis (assuming they are lit by gas, I'm guessing here).
    Honk wrote:
    Tell you why that picture is great!

Now I know that the rooftops are actually blue, anyone who looked at Pyongyang on Google Maps should have been curious about this. I thought they were painted blue on the satellite photos.

Now the only question is why so many rooftops are blue, that's the true enigma of North Korea.

Bad news: blue rooftops are pretty common in China and Taiwan as well. Not sure about South Korea. As to why, I assure you, it's much preferred to the natural color, that is, "ugly rust red/grey." Why blue specifically? That, I can't explain.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Or he understands he is surrounded by men who dream of killing him and taking his position.

If he shows any emotion it might be taken as a sign of weakness.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular

Or he understands he is surrounded by men who dream of killing him and taking his position.

If he shows any emotion it might be taken as a sign of weakness.

That kind of fails in making it less scary.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    Why blue specifically? That, I can't explain.

Probably better than the American/European default, "blackity black." Switching to something lighter would save billions on energy, especially in the South and Southwest.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    It might have something to do with sunshine, the color of the sky, but yeah, in Taiwan, blue and green (somewhere between teal or kelly--doesn't really matter, the point is, it's ugly) is extremely common.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    It might have something to do with the sky, but yeah, in Taiwan, blue and green (somewhere between teal or kelly--doesn't really matter, the point is, it's ugly) is extremely common.

The cultures of Asia, as a whole, seem to have a vastly different approach to color and style than their European/American counterparts.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    Not sure about South Korea.

It's fairly common there too, though not overly so. Saw more blue roofs when living in Busan than I did outside of Seoul. Coloured roofs are the norm, black ones are rare.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote:
    Well, it's a autumn/spring thing too. But yes, I wouldn't want to wear one during a Georgia summer (or in the 100% humidity of Taiwan in June).

At the risk of betraying racial bias, I do think Zhongshan suits look kind of odd on white people. People from East Asia or the Indian subcontinent? Looks good. But it'd be like finding a Chinese man dressed as a Puritan pilgrim or a Italian renaissance man. Sure, it's not bad, but it's a bit....off.

And that's the beauty of the Zhongshan suit. Not only can you wear it for 3/4 of the year, it looks good both for fat guys and skinny ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutcMDjtvT8

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am now sad that it's not just a NK conspiracy.

Thanks a lot!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Synthesis wrote:
    It might have something to do with the sky, but yeah, in Taiwan, blue and green (somewhere between teal or kelly--doesn't really matter, the point is, it's ugly) is extremely common.

The cultures of Asia, as a whole, seem to have a vastly different approach to color and style than their European/American counterparts.

I'll have to take your word for it. I spent a short time in France (primarily Paris, unsurprisingly), and was immediately struck by how different architecture looked than the United States. It looked way more like Buenos Aires than any place I've been to in America. By contrast, downtown Taipei looks more like Brooklyn than any city I'd seen in France, easily--but that's more a reflection of differences than similarities. I think national variations are so extensive, only broad things like "metal roofs of x color" can stick.
    oldmanken wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    Not sure about South Korea.

It's fairly common there too, though not overly so. Saw more blue roofs when living in Busan than I did outside of Seoul. Coloured roofs are the norm, black ones are rare.

I think it's tied to where it's most cost-effective, if anything.
    Boring7 wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutcMDjtvT8

That made my midnight. :)

Synthesis on