As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Navy Field

Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
Due to the interest in the Best Free MMO Thread it's clear we need a Navy Field Game-On Thread

----
Find Eachother
----
forum name --- NF name
----

Fleck0.........................Flecko
Urgel..........................Urgel
Gigglio........................Nanogym
Drallo..........................Drallo
Deswa........................Deswa
Ethan Smith................Abelard_L
Cyberjackal.................Cyberjackal
WHY............................Valkun
Angelofvengeance.......Eric14
Leaf.............................Leaf
Webguy20...................Webguy20
Randombattle..............Randombattle
Talith............................Talith_PA
TalonZahn....................TalonZahn
HydroSqueegee...........TenFootHen
Entropy.........................Negativa
Airan.............................Esti
Wombat!!.....................WombatPA

----

First up, some Q&A

Where can I get it?

From the Main Site. Just click Download>game download on the menu to the left.

What is Navy Field?

It's a free Korean made (though the english version is run from the US) tactics based MMO taking place on the high seas of World War II.

It's been likened to a non-cartoony realtime gunbound with an isometric view. NF sports a huge variety of ships from 4 different nations, ranging from the miniscule Fast frigate to massive battleships and aircraft carriers.

There's a strong simulation presence, every ship and gun in the game actually existed and for the most part is recreated faithfully (they do take liberties here and there for the sake of balance.)

Free you say

Yeah, NF is 100% free. Along the lines of gunbound and many other Korean MMOs you can spend real life money if you're so inclined. You can buy things like elite sailors, upgrades to your existing sailors, premium ships that can't be aquired otherwise, and they also offer a subscription that will boost the EXP and Credits you earn

Wait... exp? for boats?

NF also has a lot of RPG elements. Each ship has to have a crew that runs it. All crew members start out as neutral sailors, each battle they get EXP which increase their level and skills, as they go up in levels you assign them specialized classes based on their skills, this is another huge list that differs between nations this jobs like Bridge Operators, Radio men, Accuracy Gunners, Reload Gunners, various pilots, repairmen, engineers and so on.

The level of your bridge operator, probably your most important sailors determines what ships he can command.

It's Korean... so there's it's a massive grind fest??

I suppose this is true, in that there's no crafting system (though those damn Koreans got one D:) though it's much less of a grind than it used to be thanks to new battle modes. I'd say the time it takes to get from lvl 1 to lvl 50ish has been cut in half.

Not too long ago they also added in a Harbor assault mode, in which a fleet (large clan) attacks a nation allied harbor in an attempt to control it. If your fleet succeeds they'll get access to unique ships as well as a steady stream of taxes to fill those wallets.

What are the nations? are they different?

Oh yes, picking your nation (which you do at lvl 12) is very important. Once you assign a sailor to a nation you can't change him back. Though you CAN create another crew and assign them something different, so there's nothing stopping you from having some ships from each nation.

The nations are

United States - USN

Kriegsmarine (Germans) - KM

Royal Navy (English) - RN

Imperial Japanese Navy - IJN

There are better resources than me that'll help you make the decision which one to focus on but basically the strengths and weaknesses are:

USN
pros: USN is the balanced nation, they can pretty much do everything OK, but don't really excell at anything. Also their CVs (aircraft carriers) are arguably the best. Also I use 'em, so they must be good!

cons: They're balanced, so their ships can go either way. Some really suck, while others shine in the right situations

KM
pros: KM has the longest range guns, range can be a HUGE factor, especially in battles with larger ships. They also have some of the best engines

cons: They have some of the weakest shells, so you want to be hitting the other guy a lot from somewhere where he can hit you back

RN
pros: Ah the UK, the most cried about nation by far. They have some great ships, great shell damage and godly armor. REALLY godly armor. some would say they're the best all-around nation

cons: Some ships are utter crap, and I've heard the grind can be painful at times.

IJN
pros: IJN love torpedoes, which it why everyone hates 'em (you'll see what I mean when you have a japanese light cruiser lay down a solid wall of torps and sink 5 ships in one go. They also have the most diversity in their aircraft carriers

cons: sometimes it seems like the Battleships are armored with freakin rice paper.

I'm tired of reading, can I just look at some pictures...

These are pretty big so I'll just link 'em

A Docked US carrier

Pilots and seamen alike being sent to a watery grave

One of those torpedo walls I mentioned, You'll learn to hate these

Finally I'm gathering the credits needed to start a PA clan. Perhaps in time if there's interest we could even ally
with a fleet and take part in capturing harbors

Which Server?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention servers. There are 2 (and a test server) I'd reccomend Arizona, it's informally called the vet server but really you see plenty of new people and there are plenty of modes you can play that will keep you with people of your level so your tiny frigate won't get one-shotted by a yamato class battleship.

Also the missouri server has some restrictions on it because those naughty people couldn't handle certain game modes without exploiting them

steam_sig.png
Fleck0 on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I'll post various newbie oriented guides or websites here.

WWW.NF-Guides.com - Some very helpful and newb-friendly guides here that cover most of the basics and some advanced topics

Navy Field Data Store - This site's an incredible resource, think of it like an encyclopedia for everything Navy Field

Every hotkey you could want to know
    part 2 - some of these you'll probably never need, but the in game list (F5) leaves some of these out. Mostly the plane control keys which you won't need until you get a light cruiser and start scouting out the battlefield for your teammates

Some basic tips for new people

sending tells

First you need a radioman, level any neut sailor to lvl 7 and then convert him to radioman. don't waste a sailor with decent stats on this as he doesn't help your ship in anyway other than letting you communicate with other players.

while in the harbor you'll notice a little red circle at the bottom-left corner of the screen, stick him here. Right clicking and left clicking on him will bring up different options. Right click to add friends, after you have a friend added you can left click him and a list of those people will show up. Just double click someone's name and a dialog window will pop up and you're good to go

- Probably the most important thing before you start fighting is your FCS, I forget what that stands for but it controls the ships aiming. By default when you first login you get an aiming FCS, this means click where you want the shots to go and hit space. The problem with auto FCS is that besides being not that accurate it will really hurt you in the long run if you rely on it. I'd reccomend sticking an aiming FCS on that ship right away. It'll be tough at first but once you get the hang of things you'll have a huge edge over anyone who still uses auto

- The CTRL key. This toggles the TDA which stands for "Make your turrets move a hell of a lot faster". You won't want this on while you're trying to lock onto an enemy ship but when making a turn or making significant changes to your gun angles it'll save you prescious seconds.

- Types of rooms! (I'll add screenshots later to make this part clearer)

I'm not going to cover everything but here's basically what you'll see when you look for people to shoot.

when you get your ship all set up and venture out of the harbor click the yellow "crosshairs inside a circle" thingy. This will zoom out to a view of the world, basically every possible place you can fight. You want to go to area #12, cause that's where all the action takes place.

Once here you'll see a bunch of little boxes with titles describing what type of battle in contained theirein.

- Standard Rooms - These are your basic battles, they'll usually have a name like FF/DD/CL which refers to the type of ships that are allowed (in this case frigates, destroyers, and light cruisers).

CV hunts are fun (unless you're on missouri, in which case you're outta luck). One team is made up of aircraft carriers while the other team is anyone who isn't a carrier. You have to get all the way across the map to reach the carrier that'll send wave after wave of planes at your team. This is a great place to practice using AA guns.

You'll also see things like AW (All Welcome) this is a free-for-all where anyone can join. This is basically a Grand Battle 2 without auto-team-balancing and the exp/credits aren't shared, you get what you earn.

- Grand Battle 2 this is the first shared experience game-type they added. Which means the amount of credits and EXP earned is based on how well your team did (with the losing team getting a penalty and the winning team getting a bonus)

- Blitzkrieg - This is the newest mode and the one new players will want to spend the most time in. Blitz's allow FF through CA class ships, so no battleships and no carriers. Also you get tons of exp and credits here. in a decently sized ship it's not unlikely to get 10k credits and around 6k EXP per game you win.

Ship Acronyms (in order of when they appear on the ship trees

FF = Frigate

DD = Destroyer

CL = Light Cruiser

PCL = Premium Light Cruiser
    (you need real $$ to get these, though you can also buy one in game if you find a player willing to sell one)

CA = Heavy Cruiser

PCA = Premium Heavy Cruiser

CV = Aircraft Carrier

BC = Pocket Battleship
    (there aren't many of these, they're better than CA's but not quite as heavy as a BB)

BB = Battleship

each class of ships can also be divided into tiers. For example the USS Brooklyn is a CL1 and the USS Cleveland is a CL2. Though that doesn't necessarily mean that a CL2 will always beat a CL1, it's mostly just to denote where they fall on the ship tree

STATS

ok this I'll keep simple because some of the links above go into this in much more depth (specifically the one on sailors at NF-Guides.com)

Each stat has growth and Ability. Growth is the amount a stat increases each level and ability is how good their current skill with said ability. When rolling new sailors, ignore ability all you really care about is growth, no matter what the lvl 1 ability is the growth is what helps you in the long run.

The maximum growth value of each stat is 12, except for potential which can go up to 15. Each sailor specialization has certain stats attached to it, you want these to be 11 or 12. 10 if you have a 12 in the main stat. for example the 10-10 gunners you start with are ok, but 12-10 is even better with 12-11 being ideal. Don't let stats drive you crazy you can (and WILL) spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get two 12-11 acc gunners (unless you buy them) but stats eventually max out so you aren't going to be crippled. My main gunners that I made way back when are 11-10s and I've never felt gimped compared to similarly level players who may have superior growth in their gunners, worst case scenario I max out a few levels after them.

Break down of what each stat does.

Potential - This only matters for your BO it affects how far away he can mark shells. You know those little blue marker dots whenever you fire? in the future you may find that you can put guns on your ship with great range, but if you fire them as far as they can go it won't show you where they landed, if this happens you need to level up your BO a bit.

Accuracy - Determines how likely your shells will land where you want them too, this is known as spread

Reload - fairly obvious like Acc. how fast they reload the guns

Torpedo - how fast you reload torpedos

AAW - When planes fly over enemy ships you'll notice the sailors on board automatically fire the ships machine guns at 'em. That's AAW and this stat affects how often it fires and how powerful it is, however AAW sucks and if you want to shoot down planes you'll want to mount quick firing guns in the T-slots of your ship and man them with reload gunners. So you can pretty much ignore this stat

Repair - How fast your support sailor can repair damage to the ship

Restore - this affects Soft Defense which is sorta complicated, again NF-Guides.com is your friend

Engine - This deals with engine repairs when you take a lot of damage as well as how often you can overheat the engines to gain a speed boost

Aircraft - A good stat for all pilots, affects how far scouts can see as well as how hard bombers and fighters are to shoot down

Fighter - Fighter pilots damage

Bomber - Dive / Torpedo Bomber damage and I think accuracy

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    saved for future use. clan annoucements mabye

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Awesome! I was about to request that this thread be made. I just downloaded this last night. So I'm guessing we're starting a clan then? Which server do you think we'll play on?

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Gigglio wrote: »
    Awesome! I was about to request that this thread be made. I just downloaded this last night. So I'm guessing we're starting a clan then? Which server do you think we'll play on?

I just added a little addendum to the bottom of the first post. I'd say arizona. in addition to the reasons I posted above, since there are more high level players present it can be easier to get help from them. For example points (you use these to make new sailors and to class sailors up) are often given away freely if you make a trade room asking for 'em. it's not hard to get a free gift of 1,000,000 points which you'll never be able to use up faster than you can earn more

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I came to ask some questions, but it seems you updated the op and answered them.

This game is a bit more complicated than I originally thought.

edit - so I just switched to manual aiming, and this definitely makes the game more interesting. Are there rooms that are just for new people outside of the training missions? Also, I seem to have a fair amount of money. What upgrades should I start with?

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Deswa, I sail the japanese [PA]Homperton. Level 15

I'll switch to Arizona next time I get a chance to play.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Has the game changed much in the last year or so? I used to play a fair bit a long (looong) time ago and dropped it due to miscellaneous real-life circumstances taking up my time.

Suriko on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, fuck Navyfield. This game had so much potential but the devs have the worst execution and community interaction of any game that I've been interested in.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I came to ask some questions, but it seems you updated the op and answered them.

This game is a bit more complicated than I originally thought.

edit - so I just switched to manual aiming, and this definitely makes the game more interesting. Are there rooms that are just for new people outside of the training missions? Also, I seem to have a fair amount of money. What upgrades should I start with?

Yeah I didn't mention in the OP that the learning curve can seem a little overbearing

Once in a while you may see a newbie room but in general the training missions are unfortunately the closest thing you'll get to a training environment.

as for your cash I'd save it at least until you choose a nation (lvl 12). Though the ships at the neutral harbor (Busan) are dirt cheap so don't be afraid to ditch that starting frigate for the neutral destroyers if you want to try a slightly better ship.

Some other tips that probably belong in the second post:

- Always class your sailors as soon as you they hit the required level, otherwise they'll be missing out on skills boosts. (for example if you wait until 15 to give a sailor a nation/class he'll be missing out on 3 levels of the extra boosts they get for being specialized. I'd reccomend just taking them off the boat until you have the points upgrade them.

but if you forget or don't notice and they get a little bit ahead, say classing a sailor at lvl 13 instead of 12 it's not a big deal, the gains you'll miss at that early stage are hardly noticable.

- Also in order to trade you need to have 500000 credits and 500000 points anything lower than that it won't let you. I forget what you start out with but keep that in mind.

I'm not drowning in points like some players but I'll be on later tonight and if anyone's able to trade at that point I probly have a few hundred thousand I could give out if anyone needs em.

- ALSO (damn, i guess this is a complicated game) if you're early on and you feel like you screwed up you can reset your account by selling your ships and dismissing all your sailors, it'll reset your cash and points to were they are on a brand new account

-I'm realizing there's a ton of little things I'm forgetting to mention so if anyone has any questions post them and I'll do my best to answer them. I'll be on in a few hours to sink some ships with ya'll. I've been wanting to get a japanese crew going so I'll probably use that so I can help people in lower level games

edit: another rescource is the main site forums, there's tons of info there though the forums themselves, besides having an annoying interface can be a crapshoot, threads range from exptremely informative to ridiculous spam.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    Has the game changed much in the last year or so? I used to play a fair bit a long (looong) time ago and dropped it due to miscellaneous real-life circumstances taking up my time.

yeah they did, I had gotten tired of it long ago too and only recently came back. There's been a lot of balancing, also the addition of new modes that really make the grind between ships more bearable. Plus harbor assault which is pretty in depth (it has uses for paratroopers, minesweepers, and other things) though I haven't tried it out yet cause it's mostly for huge fleets

midshipman: I'm not quite sure what your referring to specifically, they may have gotten better about it. The game has great support in that they update it every week (downtime is wednesday nights for 3 hours I think). Though the patches aren't always exciting developments at least it's constant improvement.

If you mean things let getting GMs to help you I imagine they aren't too quick about stuff like that.

or by community interaction do you mean GM hosted events? They have fleet and clan wars now, though I don't know a lot about those. Then they have little offline contests kinda like the stuff the puzzle pirates guys do (best fan site, NF comic contests) Lame to be sure, but it's something

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I used to play this a while back, and it was pretty neat. Maybe it's time for me to give it another go.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I used to play this a while back, and it was pretty neat. Maybe it's time for me to give it another go.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. Between this, IL2 Sturmovik 1946 and Eve, I should have plenty to keep me occupied for a while.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Fleck0 wrote: »

as for your cash I'd save it at least until you choose a nation (lvl 12). Though the ships at the neutral harbor (Busan) are dirt cheap so don't be afraid to ditch that starting frigate for the neutral destroyers if you want to try a slightly better ship.

Thanks for the tips. This might seem like a dumb question, but how can I upgrade to the destroyer? I remodeled my frigate to be the M3 version, but I'm not sure how to get to the destroyer. Do my sailors need to be a certain level before I can buy one?

Again, sorry if this stuff is obvious..

I went into one of the blitz rooms, but I kind of freaked out because my ship is so tiny compared to the others. Will I be able to compete in these games?

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They have to be a a certain level. Remember to go to new and not remodel. You cant compete, but you can help out a tiny tiny bit. When you get to Destroyers you can help out a little more. When you get torps then you can truly help kill other DDs.

The exp is totally worth it, stay in until you find out if you lost or won, just tab out if you want.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I've played this game off and on since it was in beta. I last stopped playing about 2 months ago when it became obvious that Harbor Assault was yet another half-baked feature implementation that caused many times more harm to vast majority of players than anything positive that it added. NF is an endless cycle of broken game play and features that are either entirely ignored, or they take about a year to be properly addressed. Balance is practically non-existent. It isn't hard to predict the outcome of any given battle just by looking at the fleet compositions.

Yes, the game is free again. But unless you pay for a premium account the grind is incredible (and its still bad for premium), and if you don't pay for sailor boosts and buy vets, your crew is going to be decidedly uncompetitive at the mid-high levels of the game. Premium cruisers further ruin what balance existed before their arrival (and guess what, they cost real money as well). If you want to have a fair chance versus the majority of the higher level players of the game, you are going to end up shelling out about $40 upfront, as well as continual premium account payments and occasional replacement veteran crew members.

Major issues with the game play that have never been addressed (and I'd be extremely surprised if they were fixed in the last month or two):

1. Torpedoes detonate when they reach their maximum range.
    2. Torpedoes do massive amounts of splash damage (although it used to be about 2-3 times as bad, but its still unacceptable when coupled with issue #1).
    3. UK quad 14" turrets block-shot at higher gunnery skill levels. This causes ridiculousness such as Nelson class battleships only fitting 2 out 3 turrets because that is all that is needed to one hit just about anything smaller than themselves (they throw the extra displacement into armor by the way).
    4. Ghost crews are still viable for small ships. Ship's like the simakaze with zero crew displacement can fit ultra-powerful Japanese torpedoes (see 1 and 2) and achieve speeds of up to 60 knots or so.
    5. Speaking of speed, the Iowa class battleship (the fastest battleship in the world at 33+ knots), has a snail-speed of something in the range of 25 knots in the game (I don't remember the exact number). Meanwhile, other historically very slow ships such as the Nelson go about the same speed.
    6. Imbalanced premium cruisers. The German Moltke can go toe to toe with most level 1 and some level 2 battleships. Meanwhile the American, UK, and Japanese variants are just nice heavy cruisers.
    7. Very poor mechanics for dealing with friendly fire. For some of the bigger ships, it is impossible to watch your own location as well as what you are shooting at. If some knucklehead newb sails on top of you right as you fire a salvo, you only get a fraction of the experience that you would have otherwise earned in that fight.
    8. Even though there is a friendly fire penalty, it is based on damage done. This leaves a nice loophole for friendly fire griefage. You see, AA ammo doesn't hurt ships, but it is great for killing crew. Dead experts take lots of grinding to replace. Dead veterans take many times more grinding to replace (or you can spend real money to replace them).
    9. Micropayments that seriously effect game play balance.
    10. Why does the over-map have dozens of different zones, many of which are totally useless?

I could keep going on, but I think that is enough for now. I normally don't get worked up over bad games. But this one drives me nuts because it is so close to an ideal game for me, but yet so horribly flawed, and it hasn't really improved in the two and a half years that I've followed it.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I can agree with most of that, but things like the torpedoes and the slowness of th iowa are for balance issues, if they just made everything exactly as it was the US ships would dominate in almost every facet. Complaining about Torp Whores has been around as long as NF itself, really I don't find torps that bad, unless you get yourself into a really bad position they're pretty easy to dodge

the only thing that I strongly disagree with is about the micropayments, I played up to 50 without shelling out a dime and didn't find it that bad. Only recently did I upgrade to a non-premium account last month and then a full premium this month. Keep in mind that if you don't have any sailors on your ship there's no penalty and the game truly is equal.

I also bought a PCL (the texas) worth the $3? yes, gamebreaking hardly. the premium ships are meant to fall above CLs and Below CAs and they do this wonderfully. Sure, at lvl 60 a tiny PCL with triple 8" is gonna blockshot like a mofo and be hard to hit... but at that point I'd just go with a CA. sure it's a bigger target but it also has more range and twice as many guns. The molke, I'm with you that ship needs a nerf, but it's not too Uber.

The elite/boosted sailors can cause a bit of disparity, but not until high levels, and at that point you've put many hours into the game, I don't mind shelling out $4 for a game that provided my that much enjoyment. but $40 to be competitive? I'm sorry no.
    and it really improved in the two and a half years that I've followed it.
    I've probably only been playing on/off for one and a half - two years, but see major major improvements over the way it was when I first played it. Hell back then I was about as anti-NF as you, but it's really evolved

You nailed a lot of the negative points NF has on the head, but I think your being pretty critical too

ALSO to new players, while we're talking about negatives and things you'll need to know. Make sure you get a radioman, you use him for clan related stuff, buddy lists, chat. You only need to get him to lvl 7 and his interface is pretty poor, but he's painless to get. His stats mean nothing, hes just a utility for you

oh didn't notice this one
    10. Why does the over-map have dozens of different zones, many of which are totally useless?

yeah, I have no idea either

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Wait a minute, it's free now? I thought a while back this game was all p2p and shit

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I added a little name list to the bottom of the first post, post you're NF name so we can find eachother

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    Wait a minute, it's free now? I thought a while back this game was all p2p and shit

100% free. though if you're using any lvl 30 sailors You'll start getting an EXP penatly. At which point you can accept the penalty of pay $8 to get rid of it or $11 to get rid of it and get 1k bonus EXP and cash per battle. Plus the bonus things like special ships and sailors

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I totally torpedoed a ship. That was god damn awesome.

I'm nanogym in game.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The fine text on the web site disturbs me.

Do they ask for your credit card info even if you don't want to pay for a premium account? Because I really don't like giving that kind of info out just for redownloading a game I gave up about two years ago.

EDIT: Oh, and have they finally added more than one single looping song for battle music?

SirNick on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    SirNick wrote: »

Do they ask for your credit card info even if you don't want to pay for a premium account? Because I really don't like giving that kind of info out just for redownloading a game I gave up about two years ago.

EDIT: Oh, and have they finally added more than one single looping song for battle music?

no they don't require a credit card.

I'm pretty sure the music is still the same, though I haven't really checked, I always turn it off

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

no they don't require a credit card.

I'm pretty sure the music is still the same, though I haven't really checked, I always turn it off
    Ah, good to hear.

I started the download anyways when I posted originally. This thing's like crack. I remember the days of old with the mighty Q-Class armor whoring and all kinds of shenanigans going on. I had a Fletcher with 6" singles and it cruised me all the way to the Atlanta, baby. It was SWEET.

Now, only 30 minutes more to download. This is taking forever.

SirNick on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sooo level 12 then.

Should we decide on a nation or something?

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm a fan of the USN, since they're pretty straightforward and versatile.

I don't want to play RN since they're so damn good. Almost feels like cheating a bit.

SirNick on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sooo level 12 then.

Should we decide on a nation or something?

everyone can choose whatever nation they want. it won't affect the clan or anything. It's an entirely personal choice based on what ships you want and your play style

SirNick: US is my primary nation, their cool but can be aggravating as well.

The fletcher (lvl 12 US destroyer) is easily the best lvl 12 DD. With 5 gun mounts you'll feel like a god compared to the neutral ships. Later on you'll have a lot of ups and downs. The DD line has some ok ships but then you get the DDX at 36 (I think) which is incredibly and it can be argued that it's the best DD in the game (though the german Z99 is really, really good too) the CLs are pretty specialized, you have the Brooklyn which eats destroyers for breakfast, seriously, you will wreck any smaller ship that gets near you and any CL that wanders too close, though it gets ranged easily by most other nations CLs. Also the early BBs are ranged by most all other BBs, though a patch that gave a lot of USN ships a speed boost evened them out some.

Also for people that spend real money the US gets the Texas for a Premium CL, it packs the punch of a CA and is as small as a frigate, I hate fighting those things

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh, I didn't know if we were going for a theme or something. I think I'll just stick with the USN because of their apparent balance. I know I was thinking IJN earlier, but eh, I can't think of Japanese names on the spot. ;)

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Son of a gun.

I finally got the game to download, an account made ("NickFedora"), and the damn thing's finicky as all hell.

It's laggy as all get-out and the thing crashes to desktop with an alarming frequency.

Argh.

Anyone else have those problems?

Oh, and yes, it's the same looping music as two years ago. I'm going to be playing me some rock n' roll in another program now.

SirNick on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Son of a gun.

I finally got the game to download, an account made ("NickFedora"), and the damn thing's finicky as all hell.

It's laggy as all get-out and the thing crashes to desktop with an alarming frequency.

Argh.

Anyone else have those problems?

Oh, and yes, it's the same looping music as two years ago. I'm going to be playing me some rock n' roll in another program now.

ouch that sucks, never seen that before, best I can offer is try reinstalling and if it's still screwed mabye try the tech support forums over at the main site.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've noticed that the game ctds sometimes after training missions, but it's usually pretty stable with regular pvp battles.

I've just switched over to Arizona from Missou, and now I can't understand how I lived on missou before. Fleck0 is your IG name also Fleck0? I may have missed a post to this effect.
    1. Torpedoes detonate when they reach their maximum range.
    2. Torpedoes do massive amounts of splash damage (although it used to be about 2-3 times as bad, but its still unacceptable when coupled with issue #1).
    3. UK quad 14" turrets block-shot at higher gunnery skill levels. This causes ridiculousness such as Nelson class battleships only fitting 2 out 3 turrets because that is all that is needed to one hit just about anything smaller than themselves (they throw the extra displacement into armor by the way).
    4. Ghost crews are still viable for small ships. Ship's like the simakaze with zero crew displacement can fit ultra-powerful Japanese torpedoes (see 1 and 2) and achieve speeds of up to 60 knots or so.
    5. Speaking of speed, the Iowa class battleship (the fastest battleship in the world at 33+ knots), has a snail-speed of something in the range of 25 knots in the game (I don't remember the exact number). Meanwhile, other historically very slow ships such as the Nelson go about the same speed.
    6. Imbalanced premium cruisers. The German Moltke can go toe to toe with most level 1 and some level 2 battleships. Meanwhile the American, UK, and Japanese variants are just nice heavy cruisers.
    7. Very poor mechanics for dealing with friendly fire. For some of the bigger ships, it is impossible to watch your own location as well as what you are shooting at. If some knucklehead newb sails on top of you right as you fire a salvo, you only get a fraction of the experience that you would have otherwise earned in that fight.
    8. Even though there is a friendly fire penalty, it is based on damage done. This leaves a nice loophole for friendly fire griefage. You see, AA ammo doesn't hurt ships, but it is great for killing crew. Dead experts take lots of grinding to replace. Dead veterans take many times more grinding to replace (or you can spend real money to replace them).
    9. Micropayments that seriously effect game play balance.

Whaat?!?! A game with flaws!? I must dash off a nasty letter to the president's council on correcting minutae that displease a subset of gamers (PCICMTDASOG)! After all it's impossible for a game that is not "perfect" to be any fun at all :P.

Majidah on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Majidah wrote: »
    I've noticed that the game ctds sometimes after training missions, but it's usually pretty stable with regular pvp battles.

I've just switched over to Arizona from Missou, and now I can't understand how I lived on missou before. Fleck0 is your IG name also Fleck0? I may have missed a post to this effect.

No in game it's Flecko with the letter 'o' instead of a zero, there's already a flecko here though I've never seen him post in the years I've frequented the forums :|

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Downloaded and installed last night. Only got a chance to play a couple tutorial missions before I had to get to bed, but seemed interesting. I'm looking forward to trying it out some more.

In-game name is same as my user name.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    this thread makes me sad that my pc died

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think I bought the wrong engine for my Fletcher. I can only go 13 knots D:

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Anime Owns on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've read about this but never got around to downloading it. This thread has convinced me to finally get it.

rayofash on
  • Options
    DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm level 24 on AZ with an L Class atm. Same name as here, if I'm still in that L when you see me, it will be called "HMCS.Vancouver". Apparently I lost all my KM stuff from beta.

It remains to be seen if the game can hook me enough this time to take me over 30, and the prospect of paying to actually advance at a human rate.

I noticed they nerfed the Q class quite a bit since beta, still a nice ship, but the L offers a reason to upgrade this time. Wish they gave the tribal something decent going for it, other than being a bigger target.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    You nailed a lot of the negative points NF has on the head, but I think your being pretty critical too

I have never wanted to like a game more than I want to like NavyField. However, the list of jarring flaws with the game are long, and the amount of changes required to address the vast majority of them are rather minimal. I can only conclude that the developers are either incompetent or just don't care about their game.

I also understand the need for balance and that the game can't 100% accurately replicate the qualities of the ships and maintain balance. However, people play these types of games not only for balance, but for the ability to play around with some of WWII's most famous ships. The Iowa was the fastest in the world, and not by a slim margin. There are plenty of ways to retain that quality in game and yet be balanced. You could raise the level required for it, adjust its power number so that it gets balanced accordingly by the new autobalance algorithm (which is a nice idea but rather horribly flawed in its execution, light most of NF). You could also make the Iowa more expensive to purchase and repair when sunk, you reduce its turning radius, decrease the power of its bulge armor, the fact is, there are tons of ways of balancing the ship without removing the one thing that made it truly special. The devs just don't care, or are unable to think and act creatively and constructively when it comes to improving their game.

Also, regarding the micro-payments required to be competitive at any level above 50.

You WILL need premium sailors. That comes to $2.49 per sailor.
    1 Bridge Operator, 2 Primary Gunners, 2 Secondary Gunners(AA or Torps), 3+ Support Crew, 1 Scout Pilot is a pretty standard crew for a CA or larger gunship.

So $22.41 right there.

You WILL also need veterans to make your premium sailors be able to shoot accurately, rapidly, and actually repair enough to be noticeable. A 10 pack of veteran increases costs $2 (and it gets you 100 veterans in terms of crew numbers). You will want to get at least 50 on each sailor to be about average in terms of capabilities. So figure another dollar per sailor just to get them up to speed. Unfortunately, veterans die over the course of regular game play, they also die even faster if someone decides to grief you with AA fire. I'll be generous and say you get lucky and only need to replace your veterans once a year.

Add another $9 up front, and another $9 over the course of the year.

So, assuming that you only have 9 crew members who you actually use (anyone who gets to these levels is bound to have several more that they want to be useful as well), your micropayments add up to just about $40. That isn't counting paying for an unnerfed or premium account, or buying any premium ships.

Oh, and I just remembered Rule number 9. That one is just blatantly offensive.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I really would rather this thread be about finding people who like the game, but I can't let that one go. Your wrong midshipman, and my career in the game is proof enough. All of those things are nice but none are necessary. Especially vets who are easily obtained in game. Same with boosted sailors, not hard to buy with credits, are they expensive? yes, but by the point when boosted sailors will really make any difference you're well into your nations ships tree and should have credits all over the place anyway unless you somehow squandered them.

It's entirely a matter of I want that edge right now so I'll shell out real money instead of taking the time to earn credits.

I'll give you the subscription. If you go till about forty you'll at least want the $8 subscription as the time in between ships will become really dragged out.

But saying "You'll have to spend $40 at least!!" is wrong. Players that take advantage of micropayments are a minority. Will you run into people who have elite boosted sailors? Yes. Will they tear you apart? by no means.

While the micropayment bonuses are fun they're match for skill. A skilled player who hasn't payed a cent, will have no trouble against a less skilled player who shelled out $50 to have the highest growth stats possible in every sailor driving a moltke.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png