As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: December's done, time for the next one

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Man, you guys are some picky mofos.

At any rate, Child's Play? Humble Bundle? Pfft. Here's the greatest video game-related charity event:
    Crazy Dave, whom you might remember as Plants vs. Zombies' power-up purveyor, can't speak English. But that hasn't stopped him from producing a rap song, apparently, which PopCap is now selling for 99 cents on iTunes in order to raise some money for charity this holiday season. The single, which features "Cray-Z" murmuring over a bombastic beat, has already picked up over 600,000 views on YouTube, and PopCap says all profits on the song's sale are going to Concern Worldwide.

What's Concern do with its nonprofit funds? It helps grow plants, of course. How else are we going to take on the coming zombie bobsled threat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_UTh4qNjjo

Pfft. Me and Callow raised 11k battling each other in Starcraft while experts ridiculed us.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    A lack of stairs has also greatly influenced map design. I remember in one of the early Bungie docs they were talking about how they don't have ladders anymore, or stairs. Just ramps. Smooth ramps that you can run up and down to effortlessly change altitude.
    They had no ladders in Fallout 3 because the AI couldn't deal with it.

• Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote:
    Uncharted 3 is GOTY because of stairs, Mass Effect 2's story sucks, and stairs are the only good thing about MGS.

I should leave.

Seriously man.

I'm curious, for those who didn't like Mass Effect 2's story, exactly what video game stories have you liked? Not that it's the apex of all video game stories, but it's pretty damn good compared to most.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    The_Scarab wrote:
    A lack of stairs has also greatly influenced map design. I remember in one of the early Bungie docs they were talking about how they don't have ladders anymore, or stairs. Just ramps. Smooth ramps that you can run up and down to effortlessly change altitude.
    They had no ladders in Fallout 3 because the AI couldn't deal with it.

There were no ladders in Quake III because id thought that bounce pads would better serve the faster-paced gameplay over its predecessors.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Niko Bellic had the dumbest looking stairs animation ever... running down them anyways.

Also, @Cantido, have you really never lost a match in SC2? There's an American flag next to your name, not a Korean one.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sniper-ghost-warrior-tops-2m-sales/088976
    City Interactive has announced more than 2m copies of Sniper: Ghost Warrior have been sold worldwide to date.

The FPS was a surprise hit when it landed in the UK last year, quickly gunning for a position in the UK All Formats Top Ten.

Sniper passed the 1m sales mark earlier this year. Back in January, City Interactive announced a sequel was on the way.

"We are all very happy that we have reached the two million units milestone," said City Interactive CEO Marek Tyminski. "This builds a strong belief we can do even better with the sequel and other upcoming releases."

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 is due for release in 2012.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Normally I'd applaud this move, but knowing the current Supreme Court I'd bet that in deciding this case they'd managed to set an even worse precedent for consumers.

Pachter explained it better: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-gaming-pach-attack/724515

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    City Interactive has announced more than 2m copies of Sniper: Ghost Warrior have been sold worldwide to date.

The FPS was a surprise hit when it landed in the UK last year, quickly gunning for a position in the UK All Formats Top Ten.

Sniper passed the 1m sales mark earlier this year. Back in January, City Interactive announced a sequel was on the way.

"We are all very happy that we have reached the two million units milestone," said City Interactive CEO Marek Tyminski. "This builds a strong belief we can do even better with the sequel and other upcoming releases."

huh..it is kind of sad that such a terrible game could do so well.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Niko Bellic had the dumbest looking stairs animation ever... running down them anyways.

Also, @Cantido, have you really never lost a match in SC2? There's an American flag next to your name, not a Korean one.

Heavens no, its just being screwy.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:

call of duty dot jay peg

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

Heavens no, its just being screwy.

Oh... :lol:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I tried to play Mass Effect....it was sooooo slow in the beginning that I just couldn't get into it. I gave up after not being able to get up the motivation to trudge through the intro city.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    First ladder animation I noticed that looked good was Ocarina of Time. The ladders were just textures on walls, but Link's hands and feet actually matched up with the rungs.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    I tried to play Mass Effect....it was sooooo slow in the beginning that I just couldn't get into it. I gave up after not being able to get up the motivation to trudge through the intro city.

This happened to me too, although the fact I made a bad-ass black Shepard which I ASSUMED would have some sort of black accent and did not really turned me off to it. I couldn't get past this black dude sounding like a white guy, it was like playing as Carlton from the Fresh Prince. I put the game down for months and then later in a fit of boredom went back to it and finished the game.

Mass Effect 2 I imported Black Shepard and changed his race to white and it was a way better experience. I honestly couldn't tell you much of what is happening in those games though story-wise. Like someone said, part 2 felt like a heist movie that never explained WHY the participants in the heist I was going after were important or relevant. I just ran through both games as a Soldier on Easy just gunning motherfuckers down. I didn't even know you could order your squad around until the halfway through the 2nd game, I was just handing teammates an assault rifle and never bothering with them.

Allforce on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote:
    First ladder animation I noticed that looked good was Ocarina of Time. The ladders were just textures on walls, but Link's hands and feet actually matched up with the rungs.

Early Tomb Raider games were the same.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

just dance dot tiff

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Ditto. And then their "homosexuals don't exist here no those aren't lesbians at all" hamfisted buffoonery made me never return to that forsaken game line again.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Ditto. And then their "homosexuals don't exist here no those aren't lesbians at all" hamfisted buffoonery made me never return to that forsaken game line again.

I thought you could totally have a homosexual tryst in that game and that there was a ton of backlash for it? Am I thinking of another game?

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

This happened to me too, although the fact I made a bad-ass black Shepard which I ASSUMED would have some sort of black accent and did not really turned me off to it. I couldn't get past this black dude sounding like a white guy, it was like playing as Carlton from the Fresh Prince. I put the game down for months and then later in a fit of boredom went back to it and finished the game.

Mass Effect 2 I imported Black Shepard and changed his race to white and it was a way better experience. I honestly couldn't tell you much of what is happening in those games though story-wise. Like someone said, part 2 felt like a heist movie that never explained WHY the participants in the heist I was going after were important or relevant. I just ran through both games as a Soldier on Easy just gunning motherfuckers down. I didn't even know you could order your squad around until the halfway through the 2nd game, I was just handing teammates an assault rifle and never bothering with them.
    Black Shepard. All day, every day.

Though I wonder if your comrade ever wonder... "wasn't he white before?"

I'll walk into the fire for Bioware, if only because they gave me the option of being a black main character. DA was a bit rough in that respect, but it was fixed for DA2.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    It was fun playing a blackish character in DA when all the relatives and parents are white.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    "Loosey, ju got some 'splaining to do!"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I thought you could totally have a homosexual tryst in that game and that there was a ton of backlash for it? Am I thinking of another game?

Jade Empire had a threesome and nobody, literally nobody, cared or made much fuss.

Mass Effect has lesbians but no gay male relationships. That's really annoying, and I say that as a straight man. I hate it when groups are left out. In some ways, it's worse than mockery or insults. Just forgetting that gays exist, and then not caring enough to include them is just as narrow minded.

Dragon Age was a much worse offender of this, however. But that said, Dragon Age now is one step away from a Japanese Dating Sim. I'm literally not joking.

• Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I get that Mark Meer's voice may not fit a lot of different ethnicities, but honestly how many games let you play as a black main character?

And really, if you couldn't figure out that you were going after the collectors because they were abducting entire human colonies, I'm not sure what to tell you. You either skipped, or didn't pay attention to any of the dialogue. They pretty much explain that right away.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Dragon Age was a much worse offender of this, however. But that said, Dragon Age now is one step away from a Japanese Dating Sim. I'm literally not joking.

I love it. I'm one of those people that played the Rival Schools dating sim minigame for the Dreamcast version. Bring the dating sims on!

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Zenitram wrote:

And yet Skyward Sword has some of the most terrible ladder animations I've seen in a modern game. In fact pretty much all climbing/parkour animations in Skyward Sword are pretty terrible.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Fireflash wrote:
    Zenitram wrote:

And yet Skyward Sword has some of the most terrible ladder animations I've seen in a modern game. In fact pretty much all climbing/parkour animations in Skyward Sword are pretty terrible.

I can't say for Zelda for lack of experience, but the early Tomb Raider games were literally revolutionary in the areas of animations--particularly for things like Lara loosing her grip or having to climb up awkward rock walls that weren't perfectly even. Legend did respectably in this area, but Underworld took it to an astonishing and sometimes awkward degree--for example, combing Lara shielding her face and eyes from fire while running could result in awkward animations overall.

There were also neat little cameos that could be easily missed in Underworld--for example, Lara's doppleganger uses jump and run animations from the first Tomb Raider game, in distinction from modern Lara's animations.
    Valleo wrote:
    Allforce wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I get that Mark Meer's voice may not fit a lot of different ethnicities, but honestly how many games let you play as a black main character?

And really, if you couldn't figure out that you were going after the collectors because they were abducting entire human colonies, I'm not sure what to tell you. You either skipped, or didn't pay attention to any of the dialogue. They pretty much explain that right away.

I'm with Allforce to some extent. I mean, I knew what I as getting into, but I was moderately disappointed that my middle-aged scarred Asian Shepard sounded like a toaster.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote:
    Zenitram wrote:

Yeah... they are pretty terrible. The worst part is that you have to wait for the whole animation to finish before you can pull yourself up. It all feels very unnatural and sluggish.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    This happened to me too, although the fact I made a bad-ass black Shepard which I ASSUMED would have some sort of black accent and did not really turned me off to it. I couldn't get past this black dude sounding like a white guy, it was like playing as Carlton from the Fresh Prince.

That's a real nice double-standard right there. Because if somebody is black, they can only sound a certain way, right?

I get your overall point with the voices just not fitting some characters, but not liking a voice because it doesn't sound like a contemporary pop stereotype is definitely your problem, not Bioware's.

Though personally, I can't even go back to play ME1 at all these days. I played it something like three times when it came out, but when I tried it again some months back, it was just way too slow to keep me engaged. I guess ME2 spoiled me in that regard.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    This happened to me too, although the fact I made a bad-ass black Shepard which I ASSUMED would have some sort of black accent and did not really turned me off to it. I couldn't get past this black dude sounding like a white guy, it was like playing as Carlton from the Fresh Prince.

That's a real nice double-standard right there. Because if somebody is black, they can only sound a certain way, right?

I get your overall point with the voices just not fitting some characters, but not liking a voice because it doesn't sound like a contemporary pop stereotype is definitely your problem, not Bioware's.

Though personally, I can't even go back to play ME1 at all these days. I played it something like three times when it came out, but when I tried it again some months back, it was just way too slow to keep me engaged. I guess ME2 spoiled me in that regard.

Yeah, they should have had Mike Tyson or Barry Bonds do the voice.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dude Shepard's voice doesn't really fit anyone. It doesn't even fit default Dude Shepard, it's that off.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    They should have had Samuel L. Jackson do the voice.

"I'm tired of these muthafuckin' Reapers in my muthafuckin' galaxy!"

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The problem here is that you people aren't playing FemShep.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I play both. That being said, I honestly can't say I made a big deal about the voices. Some people really do, to the point that I think it is very silly.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Oh, a Bioware discussion.

If I wanted a sex sim, I'd play a hentai game, Bioware.

I'm simply baffled that what Bioware's current audience wants most in their video games is gay sex.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I find a romantic relationship between two people more compelling than whether or not the hero can kill the evil alien overlord (hint: yes, he can).

But I also want to shoot and/or sword people in their painhole.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Oh, a Bioware discussion.

If I wanted a sex sim, I'd play a hentai game, Bioware.

I'm simply baffled that what Bioware's current audience wants most in their video games is gay sex.

I was going to comment on that...but yeah. I'm not going to touch that with a ten-foot pole.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    I find a romantic relationship between two people more compelling than whether or not the hero can kill the evil alien overlord (hint: yes, he can).

I found the romantic relationship between Morrigan and nameless hero to be just about the least compelling thing ever.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    reVerse wrote:

I found the romantic relationship between Morrigan and nameless hero to be just about the least compelling thing ever.

Well Dragon Age sucks.

And BioWare "romances" in general are terrible.

But it's the direction I would like to see games going, and until someone good comes along and makes it so, BioWare romances are the closest thing to the kind of story I want to see in my action RPGs.

• Options
    Well, Romance in games in general are terrible.

But people like them so I see no point to exclude them.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I found flirting with Yeoman Chambers much more fun than Horizon or the derelict Reaper.