As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zorg.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    oh hey yeah and remember that packet Mr. Kim throws Korban at the end of their talk?

originally he was supposed to use what's inside (some kind of volatile spice?) to do something wicked cool

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Shorty wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    you know, people are always trying to make Dune into a movie

and I think Luc Besson would have an interesting take on it

that's something I'd like to see
    huh
    i mean, i personally think it's too long to be a movie, and is better of as a miniseries

but that might be the best person for the job

yeah, it would definitely be better as a miniseries

and the fact that the setting lends itself so well to stylization would really work in Besson's favor

and the dude isn't afraid of hand to hand combat like David Lynch was

the Dune books are basically built like the Song of Ice and Fire books

a mini-series along those lines would be great

ummmm

probably best just to stick to the first one

Shorty on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    ummmm

oh well obviously

but it's not like the first one can't stretch to fill a few seasons

I would also accept a mini-series of the House Prequels, provided that some of the stupider shit is edited out.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:
    ummmm

I would also accept a mini-series of the House Prequels, provided that some of the stupider shit is edited out.

nothing would be left

those books were a shower of shit from start to finish

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    ummmm

oh well obviously

we are not using material by anderson and herbert's kid

• Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    ummmm

oh well obviously

we are not using material by anderson and herbert's kid

it's often directly contradictory

not to mention, fucking terrible

• Options
    i've read herbert's six books and nothing more

i refuse to read their fan fiction

• Options
    I like those books because they tell me of a young Baron and a young Leto

i.e. characters I actually give a shit about

so I forgive a lot of the stupidity in them

the non House prequels really are all shit

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    if they ever remake Dune as a movie Sean Bean should play Leto

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    if they ever remake Dune as a movie Sean Bean should play Leto

Spoilers!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    anyone remembers a game called Scrapland

oh I'm sorry, American McGee's Scrapland (snicker)

it was about robots and it wasn't very good

except for the ship driving parts

because you drive a ship across a giant space city and there are tons of other ships following sneaking " traffic lanes" everywhere and you could be chased by the space robot cops and hijack other ships

and I couldn't help but think, throughout all of it

"damn

why couldn't this be in a Fifth Element game"

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    I can't remember where I got this from, I think it's supposed to be concept art for one of the stalled Dune movie projects?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The sci-fi Dune mini was pretty great. I've not seen their Children/Messiah blend.

There should be no more attempts to make the story into film. The original books, as writen by Frank, will be the Orange Catholic Bible.

Weaver on
  • Options
    wasn't there also supposed to be a Dune MMO at some point?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    Did someone say Dehuune? I think I heard Deyouuune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

• Options
    the mantra that piter devries recites is the only good thing about the david lynch movie

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I think my favorite scene in this was probably Ruby Rhod's introduction.

Everything about him is just so surreal. especially when he's on camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSFg3pAprdg

Also, when I first saw this, back when it was new, I spent a good while completely just kinda... staring at him on screen, thining "That...that's a dude, right? Well it could be a.... fuck, I have no idea. D:"

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    that clip will probably be posted about a dozen times in this thread

ain't nothin' wrong with that

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was the pinnicle of Christ Tucker.

They should let the French do Sci-Fi more often

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think more then anything I want to hear an entire 5-7 set of that radio show.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote:
    Yeah, that was the pinnicle of Christ Tucker.

And Lo, the LORD sent his son Tucker, who was the CHRIST, that he may bless the ladies with his divine rod.

• Options
    It came to pass that Tucker, who was the CHRIST, went out from the city of New York, to Fhloston Paradise, and took with him the Three. And Tucker did preach to the masses, and when this was completed, he asked the Three how his sermon was received.

And the Three said, "Lord, its beauty was such that the maidens of the land, when inspected on the night of their wedding, may want for their maidenhead."

And Tucker looked at what he had done and saw that it was good.

And he said, "Supergreen."

• Options
    my god this stuff writes itself

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Its good that when I saw the thread title I total said the line in the op in my head before even clicking on it, right?

Because this movie is awesome.

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    This is the best movie.

I saw it in the theaters 3 times when it came out. I'll watch anything with Gary Oldman because of this movie.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    oh hey yeah and remember that packet Mr. Kim throws Korban at the end of their talk?

originally he was supposed to use what's inside (some kind of volatile spice?) to do something wicked cool

Ah Mister Dallas! Good Fortune for you!

I always thought it was just a fortune cookie

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote:
    The sci-fi Dune mini was pretty great. I've not seen their Children/Messiah blend.

There should be no more attempts to make the story into film. The original books, as written by Frank, will be the Orange Catholic Bible.

Man I thought I was the only one who liked he mini series, h5 Weaver.

The second miniseries (the children/messiah of dune one) isn't as good as the first. Its okay I guess though but it doesn't stand on its own well.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    #pipe wrote:
    Ruby Rhod wrote:
    Whenever I do get it done I will be damned if there is one more or less dot.

I like how they look like freckles.

being a freckly dude, I'd make the tattoo artist do his/her damndest to make it look just like freckles
    Shorty wrote:
    because in the future, race won't matter, and the lines between genders are blurred

I noticed a while ago that all the stewardesses on the ship to Fhloston Paradise are all quite freckle-faced. It's an interesting little thematic consistency that I never caught the first few times through but one day just clicked in my brain.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    I want to go home and watch this, and then the bonus disc.

I remember I was hesitant for a LONG time to dye my hair a funky color because of Sobieski's story Milla Jovovich's story about all her hair falling out from the bleaching and dying.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    just noticed something

we never get an explanation for why the police are hunting Korben

nor do we ever get to see what happened to Korben's neighbour

is there a blu-ray/director's cut version out there with missing scenes or something? I don't think they would've just glossed over something like that completely

also

WE NEED SOME HEAT OVER HERE

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    just noticed something

is there a blu-ray/director's cut version out there with missing scenes or something? I don't think they would've just glossed over something like that completely

also

The police are hunting for Korben because Zorg told them to.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote:
    just noticed something

also

that's obvious because of the previous scene ("get me the president, do whatever it takes")

it's just that usually in cases like that there's a bit more exposition

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    just noticed something

also

that's obvious because of the previous scene ("get me the president, do whatever it takes")

They actually explain it as Zorg's underling told the police Korben was smuggling uranium.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ruby Rhod wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    just noticed something

also

They actually explain it as Zorg's underling told the police Korben was smuggling uranium.

@Ruby_Rhod when? after Zorg tells him to do what it takes we see him only with the spy cockroach and trying to board the plane.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    When the cops call the guy to tell him they bagged Korben. It shows him in Zorg's office explaining how they caught Korben and that he is going to take his place on the plane.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Indeed.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    oh cool

here's another cool thing
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The film was developed from a 400-page story outline Luc Besson reportedly began while still in high school. As the story was far too long for a feature film, Besson wrote this screenplay from only its first part. A sequel, titled Mr. Shadow, was planned but development attempts ended within the year.

http://www.coronacomingattractions.com/movie/mr-shadow

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Oh man, we were robbed of more Fifth Element?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    hotterthanhot.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    It would be cool to get more sci-fi with as much style as the Fifth Element.

The city in the movie is one of my favorite versions of the future in anything. I liked that it didn't look like they just built a futuristic city from scratch 5 years earlier or that everything was a super grim industrial nightmare. It looked like a place where people lived and worked.