As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    i have died 12 times to the very first enemy with a shield
    i can't figure out how to parry

also, i have the pyromancer as my guy, but how do i use pyromancy?

L2 to parry right before you would get hit. To use pyromancy, equip the Pyromancy glove.

When you use a spellcasting weapon (talisman for Miracles, catalyst for Sorceries, or flame for Pyromancies), pressing the attack button with it equipped will cast the currently selected spell (the top slot in the equip HUD). Pressing heavy attack will do a physical attack with the instrument which is very, very weak.

Parrying is a pretty bad idea until you have enough health to make up for mistakes, and can practice it up a bit more. I didn't get very good at it until like halfway through the game :P Mostly block - your shield is your best friend. Your bestest best friend.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Do you start with the pyromancer fire-flinging weapon? I couldn't find it yesterday in my inventory during the 15 min I played and thought I would find it sooner or later. What does it look like, a glove?

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    Do you start with the pyromancer fire-flinging weapon? I couldn't find it yesterday in my inventory during the 15 min I played and thought I would find it sooner or later. What does it look like, a glove?

You pick it up after going through most of the first area.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Parrying is something you should pratice from the very start of the game unless you're using 2handers. The easiest to parry enemies are at the start after all. Work your way up.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »

Ok, thanks.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote: »

L2 to parry right before you would get hit. To use pyromancy, equip the Pyromancy glove.

When you use a spellcasting weapon (talisman for Miracles, catalyst for Sorceries, or flame for Pyromancies), pressing the attack button with it equipped will cast the currently selected spell (the top slot in the equip HUD). Pressing heavy attack will do a physical attack with the instrument which is very, very weak.

Parrying is a pretty bad idea until you have enough health to make up for mistakes, and can practice it up a bit more. I didn't get very good at it until like halfway through the game :P Mostly block - your shield is your best friend. Your bestest best friend.

Pretty sure a fully upgraded and ascended pyromancy glove can actually do damage with the punch.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Pretty sure a fully upgraded and ascended pyromancy glove can actually do damage with the punch.

Yes, and it scales with INT, but the damage is so piddling and the range is so short that you would be better off using a throwing knife or something.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular

Someone else already said how to parry and use pyromancy. For the guys with shields, press forward + light attack to kick him in his shield until he drops it. This works unless you have a curved or piercing sword, which have alternate attacks in place of the kick.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Last night was AMAZING. Took the Capra Demon, the Butterfly, the Hydra and the Gaping Dragon, gained like 15 levels, found and upgraded new armor (Elite Knight stuff), found some smith upgrades bits and a sweetass stamina regen shield. Most fun I've had with the game thus far.

Where'd you find the shield and armor? Just the location. I just beat Sen's fortress and I'm wondering what to do next.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Last night was AMAZING. Took the Capra Demon, the Butterfly, the Hydra and the Gaping Dragon, gained like 15 levels, found and upgraded new armor (Elite Knight stuff), found some smith upgrades bits and a sweetass stamina regen shield. Most fun I've had with the game thus far.

Where'd you find the shield and armor? Just the location. I just beat Sen's fortress and I'm wondering what to do next.

Both the elite knight set and the grass crest shield are in Darkroot Garden and Basin. I believe the armor is in garden, the shield in basin (with a black knight - you can probably get him to fall off the narrow paths though). I'd go ahead and try to reach the boss in Anor Londo, because there's a blacksmith right next to that room who does boss weapons, and beating that boss lets you warp to certain bonfires from any bonfire (Except one - in the Painted World of Ariamis, though oddly you can warp to that one).

If you have the Peculiar Doll, the painted world can be accessed from Anor Londo - but you can't leave it until you clear it (though the boss is optional - and in fact not hostile unless attacked... too bad it gives good dex weapons).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Huh, I went to Anor Londo, killed the gargoyle and then went up the hill where "Only the Great Lord can open" or something like that. I thought I couldn't progress there yet. The big knights in Anor Londo are awesome for farming souls, the crystal halberd makes it comically easy to kill them.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Huh, I went to Anor Londo, killed the gargoyle and then went up the hill where "Only the Great Lord can open" or something like that. I thought I couldn't progress there yet. The big knights in Anor Londo are awesome for farming souls, the crystal halberd makes it comically easy to kill them.

Ah, yeah, the gargoyle is on the path you need to take. You'll have to think a bit on how to proceed... but you'll be scampering about for the early part of Anor Londo...

I got the Ring of Fog. I can now turn invisible and quiet by equipping it with the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring. Assassin mode, go!

Does anyone know what the Guardian Soul can be used to forge?

Polaritie on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Site looks super sketchy but it comes from Savygamer so tis all good.

http://savygamer.co.uk/2012/08/29/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-pc-18-19/

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Starting up a sorcerer to go Darkwraith with (they added all those new dark sorceries, after all, and a sorcery build has the least incentives to go with other covenants. Why half the covenants award miracles....)

Planning on 16 strength and 12 dex for weapon stats (enough to use drake sword/claymore and a short bow, basically).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So I'm thinking of upgrading my Zweihander to divine and my halberd to lightning when I'm far enough in the game to do so. When I get the proper stats Zwei is going to be my primary weapon, and halberd my alternate. But my faith is only 14 and I'm not going to pump it any higher, so with that in mind should I go lightning for the Zwei and divine for the halberd?

Also so that more people can see it, here's that fat smelly hacker I posted on the last page.
    KgJLL.jpg

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I'm working on my Darkwraith now. Trying to keep him real low level so I can be a dick for a little bit, but we'll see how far I can get at SL10.

I'd like to try out a sorcery build too, I never really focused on that. I would imagine they would be pretty good for PvE. I'm actually kinda torn right now, since I started this char with the intention of staying low SL and doing pvp - but I'd like to play through the game and finish up all the content. Ideally, with some kind of build in mind so I could use it as a ~SL120 pvp char if I wanted later on.

• Options
    Think I ran into a hacker darkwraith myself just now. Had gone human to kindle the bonfire by the blacksmith, and when I was just about finished with the iron giant some guy invaded.

I'm level 15 on my sorcerer. He was one-handing a lightning zweihander, and was apparently also using the magic barrier miracles, because my arrows bounced on some kind of bubble and did 5 each. I even backstabbed him, for all of 60 damage, which barely touched his health. So there's no way his stats are anything like a level 25-.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »

Ok, thanks.

Just to be clear, if you didn't start out as a pyromancer you can't get the glove until after you kill Capra.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Polaritie - what level are you planning on taking your guys to?

I got invaded a few times last night at the parish too. First dude (actually, may have been the same guy both times) was running around me throwing alluring skulls - which are really creepy! I recommend throwing one to see what they do hah. Anyway, I was backstabbing the shit out of him and I don't think I was getting him that low at all. Then he one hit me with a spell that shot some black fog/blast at me. The 2nd time he actually fought me straight up, but had some nasty shotels and fucked me up.

I was stoked about getting the "ninja" ring last night (for the first time ever) only to find out that they nerfed it in the Prepare to Die version. It only modifies the roll if you're under 25% load - rather than making your < 50% load feel like < 25% AND giving you the nice flips. So it's much more balanced now, but I was counting on being able to move quick at sub 50% encumbrance. Ah well, I kicked Havel's ass and took his ring anyway.

I'm all stocked up for my green titanite farming run in the blight swamps. This time I'm not putting on the Ring of Favor and Protection yet, so I can rock the rusty ring and poisonbite while I'm down there. Got my moss just in case too :)

• Options
    My dex char is going to be my "do everything" one, and actually beat the game. The rest... who knows.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, today I didn't play as much, but still advanced a bit. A summary:

Tried to go into Sen's fortress, advanced a bit but had some trouble. The snakemen are tough, with those deceptively-long swordaxe things of theirs, and the rolling boulders definitely don't help.

So I decided to go explore a bit. Went around the Basin, found a black knight and a chest, and a way into the Valley of Drakes. Drakes take a real lot of damage to die, though, so I deemed that way impractical at best unless I can get more damage somehow.

Went down, decided to fight the Hydra because eh why the fuck not. Took a couple deaths to find the sweet spot for baiting the lunges, but it was easy afterwards. So I went up back into the Garden. Met some large cat-bear things that hit like goddamn mack trucks. The first encounter quite literally went something like "Wild MEOWBEAR appeared! Wild MEOWBEAR used ROLLOUT! It's super effective! Drascin fainted..." Still, after a couple tries and by cheesing the environment like a motherfucker (got them stuck in the trees and stabbed away), I downed them all and continued.

Met a lot of mushroom people. The small ones seemed harmless. Then there were big ones, who also didn't seem to react a lot at me being nearby. I kind of wondered if perhaps these were, at last, nonhostile creatures in this world! Perhaps I had found neutral creeps at last! So I approached, kind of curious...

This is a fairly accurate representation of what happened..

After somewhat recovering from the shock of having just been Falcon Punched from full to zero by a goddamn fungus (a lot of laughter by both me and the friend watching me play was involved), I trekked back yet again, and murdered every single fungus nearby before continuing. Saw two shining doors, one locked (Artorias's symbol goes here, I presume) and one not - but decided against going in because I had like 17k souls. Then met a smaller Meowbear, who kind of recruited me into her covenant (having seen the bunch of dudes on the other side, I felt it was smarter to say yes). I have no idea what this implies but having a meowbear for a boss sounds alright with me. Then continued forward and got swarmed by like nine ents out of nowhere and decided to screw everything because of aforementioned metric buttload of souls.

So, there I've left it for today. Tomorrow, not sure whether to try going into the shining gate (that looked like BOSS HERE) or trying the Fortress again.

Either way, I really figure I should start maxing out my gear a bit. Got an Enchanted Ember, but honestly most enchantments in this game look kind of... a waste of time? It seems to lower stat gains noticeably.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I can't even get close to the Hydra, the water balls kill my FPS, it's somewhat hard to move around there.

Do you eventually find something strong against lightning? The Cobras and Drakes really kick my ass with their lightning which I can't block.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I recall there being a shield that has an ok lightning resist - but overall its the hardest element to resist against. Gotta dodge that shit... while walking on small platforms and dodging pendulums of death. <3 Dark Souls. Try using the trees to block the hydra blasts until you get near the water. Then make sure you have a 100% physical resist shield and block it up.

• Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    Okay, seeing as there's more new people here to share my pain, I'm trying this again. I'm up to the Undead Parish. We'll see how this goes.

Artheleron.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well, I found myself without internet for awhile, so I decided to play dark souls offline for a bit. Finished Blighttown with my first character, then decided to start a new one, who ended up doing better than my first one in every way, and has now ALSO finished blighttown.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Yeah I have skewed stats on my first char, I'm wondering how long it would take me to get back to where I am. Currently SL60 with 29 hours played. Defeated Sen's fortress and the butterfly.

• Options
    I can't even get close to the Hydra, the water balls kill my FPS, it's somewhat hard to move around there.

Do you eventually find something strong against lightning? The Cobras and Drakes really kick my ass with their lightning which I can't block.

The Wooden Shield from the burg or parish is decent. The Eagle Shield is also not bad. You won't find much better than 70 against lightning.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Well, I found myself without internet for awhile, so I decided to play dark souls offline for a bit. Finished Blighttown with my first character, then decided to start a new one, who ended up doing better than my first one in every way, and has now ALSO finished blighttown.

Yeah, once you've done the areas once, memorized the enemy placements and layouts and such, doing it again is LIGHTNING quick.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Hmm... The Drakes give me quite a lot of trouble with their lightning. If only I could sidestep instead of rolling like a madman then it'd be easier.

• Options

Yeah, once you've done the areas once, memorized the enemy placements and layouts and such, doing it again is LIGHTNING quick.
    Of course, now I'm back to the unknown of Sen's fortress.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Sen's fortress is incredibly scary at first, so many blind corners and traps, but it's not very big and it's easy to memorize. Once you find that these snake people are very easy to backstab, you'll be doing soul farming runs in the fortress in no time.

Is there a way to sorta tell illusory walls? I just found one thanks to someone's note, and I can only imagine how many I've missed.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I have done this exact thing twice once I found myself up against a wall. The first time was in Sen's Fortress. The second time was in Anor Londo against O&S. I'm considering doing it again now that I'm in the Duke's Archives.

The fact that I have no problem restarting from scratch is a testament to how much I enjoy this game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Found the entrance to the tomb of giants, and it is seriously pitch black out there. I'm gonna get stomped on in the dark aren't I?

Also can't believe I died to the boss before the tomb. He was easy, but I guess I thought he was a pushover when I saw his health dropping so fast. Then he just overwhelmed me. Second time I made sure to play it safe and take names.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, I'm not playing any more for today, but still, for tomorrow... is there any particular reason for ascending weapons instead of just upgrading them is worth it? On first look at least it seems roughly equal at best once you factor in I have dexterity up the ass, and I figure ascended weapons require rarer titanite to upgrade.

Which reminds me, I need to farm for some large titanite pieces. IIRC, my choices for farming are either slimes or leeches. Blargh.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Slimes and leeches are easy! Get combustion and burn those slimes (theres a good spot in the depths). Leeches never seemed hard, besides being in fucking poison land.

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, I'm not playing any more for today, but still, for tomorrow... is there any particular reason for ascending weapons instead of just upgrading them is worth it? On first look at least it seems roughly equal at best once you factor in I have dexterity up the ass, and I figure ascended weapons require rarer titanite to upgrade.

Which reminds me, I need to farm for some large titanite pieces. IIRC, my choices for farming are either slimes or leeches. Blargh.

For weapons that scale well with a stat you're pumping, just ascend them on the normal route (+5 to +6, then +10 to +11). Sorcerers go well with magic ascension (adds int scaling) and there's also faith ascensions (divine/occult). Others are for when scaling doesn't matter (fire, lightning, raw), or to get elements (fire, lightning, magic, occult, divine).

• Options
    Did the last patch make the stat scaling on weapons on par with elemental weapons, or do the fire/lighting weapons still dominate? Initially it made the most sense (min/max wise) to just make the best lightning and fire weapons you could afford. The stat bonuses were super weak. I know now when you upgrade the weapons the stat bonus gets better, but I dont know how much better.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Rang the first bell after taking out the gargoyles. Was Knight Solaire always available as an AI co-op buddy? I've never seen his summoning circle in the PS3 version.

Anyway, what area should I tackle next?

Also, people mentioned taking out the merchant in Undead Burg for his weapon. Is it something a Pyromancer can use efficiently? And what are the consequences to killing an NPC, and how can I undo them? I've never attacked them, so I'm hesitant to do so unless the benefits are there.

• Options

And what are the consequences to killing an NPC, and how can I undo them? I've never attacked them, so I'm hesitant to do so unless the benefits are there.
    If it's like demon's souls, you DON'T undo it. You kill them, they're dead for the rest of the playthrough.

M A G I K A Z A M
This discussion has been closed.