As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    This makes me sad.

Takes him about 15 minutes to get to exactly where I am.

He's put hundreds of hours into the game. Honestly you can rush the beginning of the game REALLY fast if you know where to go, but it's never quite as fun as that first time when you're feeling your way through everything, and learning how to survive.

So basically take heart in the fact that you're probably enjoying the game more right now than he is!

Also, SOMEONE FUCKING SUMMON ME FOR IRON GOLEM ALREADY!

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote: »
    This makes me sad.

He's put hundreds of hours into the game. Honestly you can rush the beginning of the game REALLY fast if you know where to go, but it's never quite as fun as that first time when you're feeling your way through everything, and learning how to survive.

So basically take heart in the fact that you're probably enjoying the game more right now than he is!

Iron Golem is a bit of a pussy. What level are you?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    This makes me sad.

I'm SL 43, just need to be summoned one more time to get Great Lightning spear so I can abandon the Sunbros and go pillage some other covenants for their goodies. I think I'll be ending up a Blade of the Darkmoon this time, as I do like the idea of punishing the guilty, regardless of how often I'll get some guy with a lightning zwei, dark woodgrain ring, and heavy armor.

• Options
    This makes me sad.

I'm SL 43, just need to be summoned one more time to get Great Lightning spear so I can abandon the Sunbros and go pillage some other covenants for their goodies. I think I'll be ending up a Blade of the Darkmoon this time, as I do like the idea of punishing the guilty, regardless of how often I'll get some guy with a lightning zwei, dark woodgrain ring, and heavy armor.

The ring got nerfed.

I can get to that point on my strength char soon enough - Blighttown goes really fast when you start Master Key.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Hmm, with the Eagle Shield nerf there really is no reason at all to ever do Blighttown. Will prolly make the switch to Round Iron Shield and finally practice parrying.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    Hmm, with the Eagle Shield nerf there really is no reason at all to ever do Blighttown. Will prolly make the switch to Round Iron Shield and finally practice parrying.

It's still a good shield. The only other shield with that kind of stability at low strength is the Balder, and it's got pitiful resists outside of physical... though that's also the damage type you usually care about stability against.

Also, that 30 minute video doesn't count. He glitched into the final level.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I like to simply keep a few shields on hand. Balder is my mainstay right now, and I keep shields with high resistances on standby.

By the way, considering starting a parallel character, only this time, you know, online and everything (it bears repeating, fuck GFWL). I had been thinking of trying a character with a heavy investment in magic to contrast with my current meleer. Unsure whether to go cleric or sorcerer, though - and in what order to build either of them. Doesn't feel like I would be able to afford focusing too hard on magic stats at the beginning, since spells are hard to come by at the start, so maybe I should start raising some strength to start...

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Drascin wrote: »
    I like to simply keep a few shields on hand. Balder is my mainstay right now, and I keep shields with high resistances on standby.

By the way, considering starting a parallel character, only this time, you know, online and everything (it bears repeating, fuck GFWL). I had been thinking of trying a character with a heavy investment in magic to contrast with my current meleer. Unsure whether to go cleric or sorcerer, though - and in what order to build either of them. Doesn't feel like I would be able to afford focusing too hard on magic stats at the beginning, since spells are hard to come by at the start, so maybe I should start raising some strength to start...

The way I did my sorcerer was I started by getting enough stats to Drake Sword things apart until I could get the first tutor freed, then starting pumping attunement and int to get spells. (I finished with 19 attunement for 5 slots, and I'm at 36 int, just enough for Soul Spear, and I didn't have much trouble with Four Kings, beat them second try - first time I had left off Crown of Dusk to take less damage, second time I used it and nuked em all down) As usual, vit and end to taste.

If you go with a faith build, let me know how it works out. You'd probably want to go warriors of sunlight briefly for at least the first lightning spear miracle, because there aren't many offensive miracles (but lots of defensive ones).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Sorcerer build is great up until you get the Moonlight Greatsword.

After that it's an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    My caster went with 16 str (best investment in the game) then just pumped int to 44, then spent everything else on the ring and logan's spells. Tried out the Butterfly horn and didn't like it much, but the Moonlight Sword was a great complement (its R2 is also buffed by the spell damage items and I think was comparable to Heavy Soul Arrow?).

The shields I like to use are Eagle, Black Knight and Crest. I guess Eagle's still usable, but skipping the Depths and Blighttown is definitely a fair tradeoff :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

The way I did my sorcerer was I started by getting enough stats to Drake Sword things apart until I could get the first tutor freed, then starting pumping attunement and int to get spells. (I finished with 19 attunement for 5 slots, and I'm at 36 int, just enough for Soul Spear, and I didn't have much trouble with Four Kings, beat them second try - first time I had left off Crown of Dusk to take less damage, second time I used it and nuked em all down) As usual, vit and end to taste.

If you go with a faith build, let me know how it works out. You'd probably want to go warriors of sunlight briefly for at least the first lightning spear miracle, because there aren't many offensive miracles (but lots of defensive ones).

Faith works great! Also if you do this and go Sunbro for a bit, you probably want to try and do enough Jolly Co-Operation to reach Warriors of Sunlight +1 (10 Sunlight medals) when you get Great Lightning Spear, which is actually decently powerful.

The cast time on all the Lightning Spear miracles is pretty long, though, so be careful when using them.

• Options
    Shen wrote: »
    My caster went with 16 str (best investment in the game) then just pumped int to 44, then spent everything else on the ring and logan's spells. Tried out the Butterfly horn and didn't like it much, but the Moonlight Sword was a great complement (its R2 is also buffed by the spell damage items and I think was comparable to Heavy Soul Arrow?).

The shields I like to use are Eagle, Black Knight and Crest. I guess Eagle's still usable, but skipping the Depths and Blighttown is definitely a fair tradeoff :P

Meh, just go back after Anor Londo, so you can leave by the bonfire in the middle.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I'm making some progress on the Four Kings. I don't think Iron Flesh was helping too much, since the melee attacks are physical/magic (and very high damage) - so I switched that out for combustion (using great combustion, combustion as my spells). I had to take a break from the fight, so I went and cleared Sens and opened up the blacksmith in Anor Londo. Swapped out the stone armor for havels armor and tried the fight again. Went really well with all the combustions and high poise, almost killed the 3rd king but he backed up and hit me with a high powered sword thrust before I could heal. I hope to finish the fight tonight!

• Options
    krylon666 wrote: »
    I'm making some progress on the Four Kings. I don't think Iron Flesh was helping too much, since the melee attacks are physical/magic (and very high damage) - so I switched that out for combustion (using great combustion, combustion as my spells). I had to take a break from the fight, so I went and cleared Sens and opened up the blacksmith in Anor Londo. Swapped out the stone armor for havels armor and tried the fight again. Went really well with all the combustions and high poise, almost killed the 3rd king but he backed up and hit me with a high powered sword thrust before I could heal. I hope to finish the fight tonight!

As long as you aren't going and Darkwraithing in Undead Burg/Parish. It's kind of cheap to hunt people so early in the game they can't even indict you.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I only had to fight the 4 kings once despite many people having a lot of trouble with it. Went in with a +4 Quelaags Furysword and just 2h them down one after the other in the Thief set. On the other hand it took me about 30 tries to kill O&S so I guess that balances out. I just went berserk on the kings and dropped them. Was really surprised at how easy things went. In other news I am still pushing onward in my NG+. Finished up both bells and Darkroot basin/garden. Next up is Sen's, I went in and tried to kill the faceless demons a few times but man, they have way more health and hit so damn hard. I got 2 of them but the other 2 are stopping me cold. I am mainly using a Painted Guardian's Sword +15 since I like the moveset and am used to it. Thinking about trying something else but undecided on what.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    This makes me sad.

I'm having trouble with him! He's hit me exactly twice so far, but I keep on falling off the fucking edge trying to hit him with the damn lightning spear. :(

Edit: Payback is mine! Bastard took a little tumble of his own.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    Are the fist weapons useful, or too weak to be practical?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    4kings is basically a DPS race.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Ok the Capra Demon is hilarious.
    "Alright, so right about now the player should be getting pretty confident with themselves, thinking they'll be able to handle themselves... Let's throw in a boss that kills them before they even realize they're in a boss fight."

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    "Alright, so right about now the player should be getting pretty confident with themselves, thinking they'll be able to handle themselves... Let's throw in a boss that kills them before they even realize they're in a boss fight."

Always, always go right. If you go left the dogs and Capra will pin you to the wall in an instant. With poise, you might escape at low health. Might.
    4kings is basically a DPS race.

Thankfully, Beatrice does decent damage. Unfortunately, she's an idiot, and doesn't cast half as often as she could. I wouldn't have taken her if it wasn't necessary for her set and all (Since bringing her ups their health).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Polartie, the Dark Souls wiki says bringing Beatrice is not necessary for set.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Whew. Got through the Capra Demon (and a bit beyond)
    Cheesed him using the stairs, wasn't that hard after surviving the first 10 seconds. Got down to the depths. Butcher killed me once because I thought he was an NPC and not an enemy, and then I wrecked his shit and recovered the 10k souls I lost. Rescued the pyromancer, wondered why the hell he wasn't training me and found out he only does that when he returns to the firelink shrine. So I Homeward Bone'd back there and spent all my souls upgrading my pyro glove and buying Ironflesh and Combustion. Muahahahaha.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So how does one access those PVP arena things? I wanna' start practicing against people but I ain't gonna' blow a bunch of humanity considering how rife the cheating is.

EDIT: Nevermind, just remembered that the place has an actual name and everything else fell into place. Ugh.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I successfully retrieved the Elite Knight armor, but I am now concerned about my weight ratio. My level 20 character has 18 endurance, equip load is 35.4/58.0

How does armor work? Do specific body parts take damage? Does it make sense to wear the Elite Knight torso and some other armor on the legs, arms and head?

• Options
    Sorenson wrote: »
    So how does one access those PVP arena things? I wanna' start practicing against people but I ain't gonna' blow a bunch of humanity considering how rife the cheating is.

Basically, in the new DLC area, immediately after the second boss there'll be a hall to the right as you head out of the building towards Oolacile Township. It's all in there (Looked like two maps, duel, 2v2, and FFA, and some level tiers. Didn't play a round cause I was impatient and wanted to explore more)

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I successfully retrieved the Elite Knight armor, but I am now concerned about my weight ratio. My level 20 character has 18 endurance, equip load is 35.4/58.0

How does armor work? Do specific body parts take damage? Does it make sense to wear the Elite Knight torso and some other armor on the legs, arms and head?

The part getting hit doesn't matter. Well, aside from the shield. You can (and probably will at times) go all Frankenstein patchwork style with your gear.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Corpekata wrote: »

The part getting hit doesn't matter. Well, aside from the shield. You can (and probably will at times) go all Frankenstein patchwork style with your gear.

Shield shape isn't a huge factor either - it functions more as a rectangular barrier, the numbers matter more. A shield could be a tiny dot and it wouldn't matter a ton - even swords block arrows just fine. (At least, zweihanders do) The game is more about numbers and actions than fine details of where hits go. It's not horribly precise in that regard - I've killed things with my Zweihander when it looked like it passed clean by them (In an overhead swing, admittedly)

Polaritie on
  • Options
    This page has a nifty chart about equip weight and roll speed.
    http://darksouls.wikidot.com/deleted:stat-endurance

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I knew what I was getting into, but only because they was a bloodstain right at the entrance. I was kinda scared, cause that guy probably didn't last to long if his bloodstain showed up outside the fog.

I probably lasted five more seconds then they did.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    This page has a nifty chart about equip weight and roll speed.
    http://darksouls.wikidot.com/deleted:stat-endurance

Yeah, people usually try to be under 50%. Unless they're going to not dodge anything.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

There is not enough facepalm in the universe.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Always, always go right. If you go left the dogs and Capra will pin you to the wall in an instant. With poise, you might escape at low health. Might.
    That's nice to know now. I was always told to beeline it right to the stairs.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Restarted my game today since I fucked up and killed Laurentius. Just made it past Quelaag, finally going to call it a night. I just have to say one thing, though. After all these months and dozens upon dozens of hours put into the game, Blighttown can still go fuck itself. Absolutely the worst part of the game.

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    Restarted my game today since I fucked up and killed Laurentius. Just made it past Quelaag, finally going to call it a night. I just have to say one thing, though. After all these months and dozens upon dozens of hours put into the game, Blighttown can still go fuck itself. Absolutely the worst part of the game.

It's so bad, people living in the sewer block off the entrance.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Nah. I would still rather do blighttown hundreds of times over sniper run in Anor londo. Yes. One small section of the game is worse than an entire area to me.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I found some humanity, went human-esque, and headed for the Undead Parish Church.
    I fought the three guys, summoned someone, who went into the Church and murdered everything while I tried to keep up, then summoned Solaire. I knocked the tail off the one gargoyle, chucked some black fire bombs at it while Solaire distracted it, and then it knocked me off the roof.

I use my other humanity, and try again. I summoned two people this time. One of them was super creepy, and looked like Ronald McDonald in an apron. And then we were invaded by two guys, who climbed up the ladder and murdered us with magic and some machine gun crossbow pistol things.

I don't know if I should spend hours grinding for humanity and try again, or just try to solo those Gargoyles.

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »

There is not enough facepalm in the universe.

It's one thing to sequence break past long and obnoxious segments, but abusing a glitch in the autosave function to skip more than half the game?

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Nah. I would still rather do blighttown hundreds of times over sniper run in Anor londo. Yes. One small section of the game is worse than an entire area to me.

Eh, I never had too much trouble in Anor Londo. The part in Blighttown that gets me every time is from the first bonfire all the way down to when you actually reach the swamp. Tricky footing, dart-shooting assholes, and lots of places to fall. It drives me up a wall.

• Options
    edited September 2012

Eh, I never had too much trouble in Anor Londo. The part in Blighttown that gets me every time is from the first bonfire all the way down to when you actually reach the swamp. Tricky footing, dart-shooting assholes, and lots of places to fall. It drives me up a wall.

Yeah, the sniper run I have down now:
    1) Pull out and kill the right side guard on the steps.
    2) Shoot the rearmost imp in the body with an arrow (Knockback will push it over the edge and kill it quickly)
    3) Kill the remaining imps one at a time (The one hiding doesn't usually come out, but they're easy to kill and I can afford the estus, because, well.... it's useless on the hard part)
    4) Cross to the first tower, and then don't go in, but move to the outside of the left pillar. This should be outside the archer's radius and draw in the imp on the other side. Kill it.
    5) Kill the remaining imp from the same position (to avoid archers messing with me)
    6) Follow the right side up around the second tower
    7) Rush the right archer, dodge roll his shot, and then block in the corner in the other archer's blind spot until he switches to sword
    8) Kill him quickly (The tricky bit - parry kills aren't hard, spell kills are trickier. Faith builds should totally just cast force and blow him off the narrow edge.)

Latter part of Blighttown descent? Ugh. I can reach the bonfire easy. But finishing is hell, because there's so many routes and always more of those obnoxiously tough imps coming from all directions and you never quite know if you have another coming.

Polaritie on
  • Options

And guess where I just got to (and died at). :(

This discussion has been closed.