As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sick Tat, Brah

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i phrased it as, "What are you doing with the loofah up there?", but she mimed washing her shoulder, and then it made sense.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Now I wanna get a tat of the tattoo artist in the act of tatting me with the very tat of himself tatting me.

It will be my one and only tattoo.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    i phrased it as, "What are you doing with the loofah up there?", but she mimed washing her shoulder, and then it made sense.

This isn't weird! You reach over your right shoulder with your left hand to do your back and when you bring the hand back forward, YOINK in the earlobe with the loofah.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I also catch my earrings on my loofah. I gently loofah my face and behind my ears though, so

to be expected

ive lost many earrings to the shower. Which is the worst, seeing as I have permanent rings with safety-catches

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    For some reason I don't mind talk about tattoos, but everything piercing related just makes me cringe.

Writing about that reminded me how much I cringend when last week two colleagues of mine slowly fell over each other with their snowboards when exiting the lift which resulted in a 2 inch long cut in one leg and now I caught in an endless circle of cringing.

honovere on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I don't want to shame someone for their choice in tattoos.
    But I'd be very interested to find out why he chose those tattoos.

"You know its like when you're out wiv your mates and then your mate Bjorn (who is a TOP lad, total LEDGE!) is like 'hey Stian you should get a tattoo of that receipt from the cheeky maccy ds we had, it would be top bants!' and you do."

*I know they're not British, but thats how I read it.

LOL, classic Bjorn!

Classic.

Standard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEFLUPC-66E

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So I posted a design I was working on a while back. Well, I'm on pass number 3 and while it has greatly improved from the initial version I'm having a really hard time envisioning it on my arm.

I'd like to eventually add to it but I'm the kind of person that whatever it is that's added will absolutely have to tie in with the original theme. So I was maybe thinking of doing the Big 12 of the Greek Pantheon going up my arm but

Ugh

I keep reworking and changing stuff and I feel like as soon as I get something I'm going to hate it in about 15 minutes and you kinda can't go back and change something that's branded into your flesh. But I really want some ink, mang

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    So I posted a design I was working on a while back. Well, I'm on pass number 3 and while it has greatly improved from the initial version I'm having a really hard time envisioning it on my arm.

I'd like to eventually add to it but I'm the kind of person that whatever it is that's added will absolutely have to tie in with the original theme. So I was maybe thinking of doing the Big 12 of the Greek Pantheon going up my arm but

Ugh

I keep reworking and changing stuff and I feel like as soon as I get something I'm going to hate it in about 15 minutes and you kinda can't go back and change something that's branded into your flesh. But I really want some ink, mang

Basically the reason why I don't have any tattoos.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    My wife just got part two of a really cool back, hip, leg piece done. I cannot post picture because, well, NSFW.

Just bringing it up because it looks really good and you all should be jealous.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tm7hkocj42lo.png

that gengar is sorely tempting

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Why is Pikachu the "Black Widow" in that set?

For reference:
    9b05rl5vnnbx.jpg

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    just realized i never mentioned or showed (??) my Friday the 13th tattoo from last year.

oqz38zIm.jpg

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    There's been a discussion in the trans thread about tattoos, making me ponder them once again. I realised I've been thinking about getting one for more than half my life and I've decided to finally do it. Not sure why I haven't done it before now, just always been hesitant I guess. But I just had an epiphany that I do not enjoy my body, and I doubt I will ever spontaneously start to, so it's not like there is anything to spoil. And I think if I decorate it I might like it better.

Now just got to decide what I want. I have a few ideas, and will probably get several if I like the first one, but need to pick what to start with.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    There's been a discussion in the trans thread about tattoos, making me ponder them once again. I realised I've been thinking about getting one for more than half my life and I've decided to finally do it. Not sure why I haven't done it before now, just always been hesitant I guess. But I just had an epiphany that I do not enjoy my body, and I doubt I will ever spontaneously start to, so it's not like there is anything to spoil. And I think if I decorate it I might like it better.

Now just got to decide what I want. I have a few ideas, and will probably get several if I like the first one, but need to pick what to start with.

As someone who is in the middle of getting a giant fuck-off tattoo across his arm from the elbow down (gonna end up being ~16 hours worth of work all told), I can definitely say that a good tattoo will make you immeasurably more interested in/happy with that part of your body (not that I didn't like my forearm before, but now I actually look at it once in a while). I think if someone is even a little interested in or intrigued with getting a tattoo, they will almost certainly be happy with doing it.

I would say that if you're not sure what to start with, start with the smallest one. Gives you a feel for the pain/time/money investment without a huge commitment.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

It's gotta be an elephant messing with some pipes. I don't know how to make that look cool, but someone can!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Tattoo friends, I have a question for people who would know: one idea that I have that I really like is getting a solid black band around my forearm and having a stream of birds coming out of it headed towards my elbow, ala the picture below. My question is, how small is too small on a bunch of little birds like that? I'd like it to age well and still be legible when I'm farting in my wheelchair but I also want the birds to be kinda sorta small?

bad8873e9139fec45f292f3b799987f4.jpg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Tattoo friends, I have a question for people who would know: one idea that I have that I really like is getting a solid black band around my forearm and having a stream of birds coming out of it headed towards my elbow, ala the picture below. My question is, how small is too small on a bunch of little birds like that? I'd like it to age well and still be legible when I'm farting in my wheelchair but I also want the birds to be kinda sorta small?

bad8873e9139fec45f292f3b799987f4.jpg

Ink is gonna spread and bleed a little no matter what, so small shapes are gonna blur, nothing you can do. I can tell you right now, you're not gonna get the detail you want on something that small. That being said, birds are kind of an irregular shape and are super distinct, so even if they don't hold their details well, the suggestion of what they are will maintain for a long time. What I would say is, find an artist whose work you like and talk to them about what's important about your art, and let them design something around it. The final work won't be exactly what you want (that's impossible) but they'll know how to apply it to your skin.

If you're looking for precise numbers, assume that the best accuracy you can get is down to about an inch square. Less than that and even the best artist in the world can't account for what age is gonna do to it.

• Options
    Yeah that's kinda what I figured, thanks.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Peen wrote: »
    I'd like it to age well and still be legible when I'm farting in my wheelchair

this is a tall order. The way your skin ages is not good for tattoos and any fine work will degrade over time. As your skin loses elastin, it stretches and spreads out and takes ink with it leaving black sharp lines as muddy grey patches

5969559_orig.jpg

That said, modern tattoos are a lot more refined than old sailor tats and they do last longer, but if you want them to last and be legible for 50-60 years, you're going to have a hard time with more than like 4 or 5 birds.

Talk to your artist. They will have a better idea than any of us, but faded tattoos are cool. Get something that looks good and let it age with the rest of you.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Age is going to fucking ruin pretty much every cool geometric animal tattoo I see online, which saddens me. They look so awesome now, but even with touchups, in 40 years they'll be indistinct hazy patches instead of beautiful drawings.

• Options
    That was overstating what I want anyway, even if it turns into little black blobs the effect will still be what I want.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    faded tattoos are cool. Get something that looks good and let it age with the rest of you.

This is kind of at the heart of tattoos to me. My tattoos aren't just about looking cool, they're about marking a point in my life and knowing that no matter what happens, when I look at that ink it will take me back to a certain place and time. They might blur and fade and look like crap and maybe I don't even like what it is anymore, but there's a story there that says something about me.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Age is going to fucking ruin pretty much every cool geometric animal tattoo I see online, which saddens me. They look so awesome now, but even with touchups, in 40 years they'll be indistinct hazy patches instead of beautiful drawings.

Nothing lasts forever.

• Options

Nothing lasts forever.

Age ruins everything. They won't look the way they do now, but they'll still be beautiful in their own way.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Might I suggest a dinosaur of some kind? Perhaps a dinosaur with sunglasses doing a kickflip?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

Nothing lasts forever.

in the cold November rain?

I'm spinning ideas around in my head for the next piece I want; I want something blackwork, and I want it to work with my shoulder cap but be distinct. I really love the idea of something with bones or mortality? hmm

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Nothing lasts forever.

I'm spinning ideas around in my head for the next piece I want; I want something blackwork, and I want it to work with my shoulder cap but be distinct. I really love the idea of something with bones or mortality? hmm

iwerks-skeleton-dance.jpg

Also I think the important question to ask is, who cares if your tattoo isn't perfect after sixty years? It's not like they're going to kick you out of the old folks home for not having a cool enough tattoo.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

It's gotta be an elephant messing with some pipes. I don't know how to make that look cool, but someone can!

No lie, this is actually on my list
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Might I suggest a dinosaur of some kind? Perhaps a dinosaur with sunglasses doing a kickflip?

and so is the Jurassic Park logo.

This forum knows me too well

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Join the dinosaur tattoo wolf pack.

So far it's just me and Keith.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

Nothing lasts forever.

iwerks-skeleton-dance.jpg

Also I think the important question to ask is, who cares if your tattoo isn't perfect after sixty years? It's not like they're going to kick you out of the old folks home for not having a cool enough tattoo.

Shit, they're going to be looking for reasons to kick me out of everywhere when I'm older, I can't give them an 'in'...

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    So I've saved up a little extra money, and I want to get my first tattoo. The Arachnos logo from City of Heroes/City of Villains. Here's the problem - I have no idea how to distinguish a quality tattoo place from a sketchy place that's going to give me leprosy. To my social anxiety, all unfamiliar businesses present abundant symptoms of terror. Does anyone have any recommendations in the central Utah area? Or any tips for finding a good place through online research, I guess?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options

Nothing lasts forever.

might i again suggest, a-this guy?
    https://thomashooper.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/made-by-thomas-hooper-texas-2012_78.jpg?w=740&h=&crop=1

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    I've sent a message to three tattoo artists in the area. One has responded saying he's on holiday and will get in touch after Easter, nothing from the other two yet but hopefully after Easter as well. I am hoping they will reply because I like their stuff a bit better.

Curious how I will react to the pain. Hope I am not too much of a wuss.

• Options
    So I've saved up a little extra money, and I want to get my first tattoo. The Arachnos logo from City of Heroes/City of Villains. Here's the problem - I have no idea how to distinguish a quality tattoo place from a sketchy place that's going to give me leprosy. To my social anxiety, all unfamiliar businesses present abundant symptoms of terror. Does anyone have any recommendations in the central Utah area? Or any tips for finding a good place through online research, I guess?

find an artist or tattoo you like the look of, check reviews of the artist online or ask tattooed people for opinions on them and the shop they work out of.
    or, research shops with quality reviews, find an artist you like from those options.

when you contact the shop -- if they're assholes, just move right on to another; there are apparently still some who hold onto the persona of badassery and gatekeep an idea of who is 'allowed' a tattoo. but also, they're likely busy, so give them a week or two to reply if you email and don't get an immediate response.
    there are plenty who want happy, repeat clients and that makes everyone happier. websites aren't necessarily a priority, but there are a lot of shops with helpful info on their site (piercers generally seem to list their certification and procedures more consistently.) most shops/artists i've encountered are proud to answer reasonable questions, and to reassure a potential source of revenue that their safety standards are up to par.

just.. don't settle. i know anxiety can make it difficult to make a fuss, but it is a tattooist's job to safely put a good tattoo on a happy recipient. good communication on both ends is essential to that.
    so, things to check for.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Crappy lighting and angle, but I just finished up the last section today (the orange area, which is why it's kinda uneven for now).

It looks a lot better in person!

7OG9bCo.jpg

nkTznGn.jpg

GYnB670.jpg

• Options
    What molecule is that?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I believe it is the Dope molecule.

• Options
    It's the molecules that make up the four DNA nucleobases, arranged with some artistic license.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    For a few moments I was struggling to figure out what body part/angles I was looking at, then I noticed what I hope is your thumb

Really really cool duder!!

This discussion has been closed.