As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Dear whoever. I'm knee deep in Marvel. What are some good alternatives? Because this Initiative shit looks like something I want to skip altogether.

If you're into interconnected universes, but feel bogged down by all the Marvel/DC event hysteria and such, I advise you to venture into Robert Kirkman's loosely connected little universe; Capes, Brit, Invincible, Tech Jacket, and the soon-to-be-released Astonishing Wolf-Man. Invincible has 7 trades out, Tech Jacket's collected in one, Brit's now collected into one trade (Old Soldier), Capes will be collected this summer, and Astonishing Wolf-Man starts on Free Comic Book Day, with the first issue being given away.

I like Invincible, and had no idea it was part of a universe :shock:

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What is Tech Jacket about? That is a cool name.

Basically, a kid finds a technologically-advanced vest, puts it on, and becomes a superhero. It only lasted six issues, and it was one of Kirkman's early books, so it didn't really have much time to go anywhere. If you've ever read Invincible, Tech Jacket later shows up at the Battle of Omnipotus and uses his armor to power the machine that defeats Omnipotus.

Munch on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Dear whoever. I'm knee deep in Marvel. What are some good alternatives? Because this Initiative shit looks like something I want to skip altogether.

If you're into interconnected universes, but feel bogged down by all the Marvel/DC event hysteria and such, I advise you to venture into Robert Kirkman's loosely connected little universe; Capes, Brit, Invincible, Tech Jacket, and the soon-to-be-released Astonishing Wolf-Man. Invincible has 7 trades out, Tech Jacket's collected in one, Brit's now collected into one trade (Old Soldier), Capes will be collected this summer, and Astonishing Wolf-Man starts on Free Comic Book Day, with the first issue being given away.

I like Invincible, and had no idea it was part of a universe :shock:

Apperently some superhero Image stuff can be a part of the "Image Universe", I guess. Actually, I think Invincable was the only surviving comic in a wave of superhero books in the shared Image U.

Soon, Savage Dragon is gonna go on a world tour and meet up with abunch of characters from other Image books like Invincible, Bomb Queen, and prolly Shadowhawk and more.

You guys should be reading Savage Dragon anyway, it's pure fun and Larson does the entire book himself, even colors, I believe.

LRG on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I appreciate Larsen's ethic and all, but his work kind of sucks dick.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LRG wrote: »
    Apperently some superhero Image stuff can be a part of the "Image Universe", I guess. Actually, I think Invincable was the only surviving comic in a wave of superhero books in the shared Image U.

Soon, Savage Dragon is gonna go on a world tour and meet up with abunch of characters from other Image books like Invincible, Bomb Queen, and prolly Shadowhawk and more.

You guys should be reading Savage Dragon anyway, it's pure fun and Larson does the entire book himself, even colors, I believe.

Actually, in the funeral for the JLA-analogue (I forget their name), you see Super-Patriot (whose wife becomes a friend of Invincible's mother) and Savage Dragon, as well as a few other assorted characters.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »

The man's got style, imo. I dig his stuff way better than Mcfarlane.

Actually, in the funeral for the JLA-analogue (I forget their name), you see Super-Patriot (whose wife becomes a friend of Invincible's mother) and Savage Dragon, as well as a few other assorted characters.

Gaurdians of the Globe. heh. Invincible kicks ass.

LRG on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In Extremis Tony re-wrote the virus to just alter certain bits of him, so that it wouldn't take so long. He had to get out there and stop the first dude, after all.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007

Gaurdians of the Globe. heh. Invincible kicks ass.

I hate when books do that kind of blatant rip-offs/homages. I mean, yeah, it's funny that it's poking fun at the JLA, but it just makes the Invincible universe less "serious".

What bugs me more is shit like "GameStation/GameBox/GameGuy/whatever". Call it a fucking Playstation or just make something up. Don't try to be "clever".

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    What bugs me more is shit like "GameStation/GameBox/GameGuy/whatever". Call it a fucking Playstation or just make something up. Don't try to be "clever".

Hey Mr Negative, maybe there are dumb legal reasons they can't just call products by their real names? Ever think of that?

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Like that's praise or anything. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I hate when books do that kind of blatant rip-offs/homages. I mean, yeah, it's funny that it's poking fun at the JLA, but it just makes the Invincible universe less "serious".

To be fair, Kirkman did say that he based all the Guardians of the Globe on well-known archetypes because it would help the reader connect to them easier, which was important due to how quickly they need to be introduced and subsequently removed from the story.

Munch on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

they are making the name up there, though, keith...

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Servo wrote: »

they are making the name up there, though, keith...

no, because everything uses those

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    even gamecubes?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If I ever wrote for Marvel or DC, everyone would be playing the Starkstations and Kordcubes.

Munch on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    even gamecubes?

Game Tetrahedron

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Like that's praise or anything. :P

Touche. At any rate, Larsen got really cool work.

SD117.jpg

To be fair, Kirkman did say that he based all the Guardians of the Globe on well-known archetypes because it would help the reader connect to them easier, which was important due to how quickly they need to be introduced and subsequently removed from the story.

Yeah, there's no reason to develop new orginal characters just to kill them off in 5 pages. The team served their purpose.

Guardians of the Globe is one cool ass name for a superhero team, though.

LRG on
  • Options
    headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just started reading Ultimate Marvel TPBs and they are pretty awesome. So far I have read Ultimate Spidey Volumes 1 & 2, and volume 1 of The Ultimates. Is there a timeline that I should be paying attention to? I don't want to start reading Ultimate FF or X-Men before I'm supposed to. Not to mention the other ones Like Daredevil and the Galactus Trilogy.

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was going to ask a similar, but more complicated question.

It's no spoiler, but Hawkeye pops up in a couple Ultimate Spider-men, and though he is mentioned in Ultimates 1, he doesn't appear.

I was curious to find out the (real) dates that all the books started, if anyone knows off hand. As in, Ultimate Spiderman #1, Ultimates #1...

And also how other Ultimate books deal with the passage of time. I'm on the 13th TPB of Spiderman, and only nine months have passed.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I believe Ultimates volume 1 takes place "currently" in the Ultimate Universe, and Ultimates volume 2 is a year in the future

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Do y'all think that Lois would ever be down for a Clark/Lana/Lois threesome? I mean, she's been getting all that awesome super-sex for the past decade or so ... it's the least she could do. Of course, Lana would be down for it in a heartbeat since she is a skank and is also still in love with Superman.

Then again, Clark would probably be all, "Ma and Pa wouldn't approve."

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    supesteareh7.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is probably a bad time to bring it up but...

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=120544&ran=195809

Superman in a three way? If you got him really drunk and Lois brought it up... mebbe.

Sadly Clark seems to be the poster boy for christian values so probably no. Offically at least >.>

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I devour TPB's at a rate I'm sure all of you understand. I've begun to wonder, though, whether or not I'm appreciating the books as they were intended. I think there's something to say for the suspense that a month or two in between issues provides. However, the cohesiveness of the books makes them super exciting.

Do you think it's the same to read single issues as they come, or wait and buy the TPB? Money issues aside.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is probably a bad time to bring it up but...

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=120544&ran=195809

Superman in a three way? If you got him really drunk and Lois brought it up... mebbe.

Sadly Clark seems to be the poster boy for christian values so probably no. Offically at least >.>

I'm not sure you could get Superman drunk. His superior kryptonian liver probably prevents it. His superior moral values are physically ingrained into his being.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Smallville has him acting all decadent under red kryptonite every five minutes, I'm sure that would do it.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    It's no spoiler, but Hawkeye pops up in a couple Ultimate Spider-men, and though he is mentioned in Ultimates 1, he doesn't appear.
    Doesn't he appear in Ultimates' first run later on?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't forget, Superman has given Big Barda a super-banging. I bet he goes back for a sip at that well every now and then.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Poor Scott. There is no way he can compare.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are debates over issues such as "Who would win in a fight?" and now "Pro-Reg or Anti-Reg?" as heated in other comics forums as they are on this one, or is this a uniquely heated bunch?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Didn't Dum Dum Dugan die in Wolverine: Origins? If so, how come he was in another book last week?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are debates over issues such as "Who would win in a fight?" and now "Pro-Reg or Anti-Reg?" as heated in other comics forums as they are on this one, or is this a uniquely heated bunch?

We try to stay away from "Who will win" conversations. They tend to bring out the ugliest of uglies.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

We try to stay away from "Who will win" conversations. They tend to bring out the ugliest of uglies.

except when we talk about nothing else in thread after thread for six months?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Didn't Dum Dum Dugan die in Wolverine: Origins? If so, how come he was in another book last week?

Because nobody takes Way's shitty writing seriously. I just got done with some of his Ghost Rider. I let out a hearty

GODDAMNIT WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I JUST READ?!

Seriously though, I dunno. Maybe it's a clever ruse?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

except when we talk about nothing else in thread after thread for six months?

Those were sanctioned tournament threads. I mean more like "Woh would win..Captain America versus Bat-man with no prepar time!!"

You know, like that.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    if i see a thread like that, the new board software has a button that lets me murder the parents of any poster so

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    I think those tournaments got it all out of everyone's system for a while.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    supermanyaysmoi9.jpg

Paul Dini says that is actually on the DC fax page

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yeah he's definitely in Iron man.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.