As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I'm sure someone's already asked but I need some recommendations for DC comics. After Marvel and Joe Quesadilla decided to sucker punch my childhood and then proceed to piss on it while it lay battered and broken on the floor, I've decided I need to switch sides if I'm going to be able to keep myself interested in comic books. With that, I've basically narrowed my preferred DC characters down to Batman, Green Lantern, and just barely the League of Super Pets.

What could you reccomend for someone who basically has little to no experience with DC characters outside of movies and the Justice League cartoon? What's a good 'starter comic'?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't we still have the "I'm new to comics, please suggest good stuff" thread? Just read that and choose all the DC stuff.

EDIT: Oh hell. It disappeared in the switch-over.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Why don't you just read the comics you like? What difference does it make what company is publishing them? And it's not like DC is free from world-shattering EVERYTHING CHANGES HURRRR stories.

If you want to get excited about comics, go pick up Casanova or Scott Pilgrim or, heck, All-Star Superman or even Iron Fist.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Or we3, or Planetary... go see that thread... why the hell arent you reading this book. or something like that.

DouglasDanger on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    Why don't you just read the comics you like? What difference does it make what company is publishing them? And it's not like DC is free from world-shattering EVERYTHING CHANGES HURRRR stories.

Yes but 52 doesn't have Superman deciding he should stop fighting because a building might burn down and then getting
    shot on the steps of a courthouse with Kryptonite bullets

Furu on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The point is I don't think the problem is world-changing events, its when these events are completely idiotic, like Civil War.

Furu on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Furu, you and me. It's like we're brothers or something.

Bloods End on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I'm sure someone's already asked but I need some recommendations for DC comics. After Marvel and Joe Quesadilla decided to sucker punch my childhood and then proceed to piss on it while it lay battered and broken on the floor, I've decided I need to switch sides if I'm going to be able to keep myself interested in comic books. With that, I've basically narrowed my preferred DC characters down to Batman, Green Lantern, and just barely the League of Super Pets.

What could you reccomend for someone who basically has little to no experience with DC characters outside of movies and the Justice League cartoon? What's a good 'starter comic'?

Read Green Lantern, Ion, and Green Lantern Corps. Since those series all started in the last year and a half, you should be able to track down the issues or get the trades. GLC:Rebirth, in particular, is pretty great.

Beyond that, having been in sorta the same boat as you a few months back, I'd recommend the new JLA and JSA books for the sheer number of characters you'll see. Wikipedia will help you out with whatever else you need to know.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited March 2007
    ReadJSAReadJSAReadJSAReadJSAReadJSAReadJSAReadJSAReadJSAReadJSAReadJSA

Bloods End on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JSA isn't that good.

I think I like JLA better than it even.

deadonthestreet on
    edited March 2007
    JSA isn't that good.

I think I like JLA better than it even.

Kill yourself.

Bloods End on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I second all that wwtMask said. I've only recently started reading DC comics, developed an interest in GL and I read the comics he mentioned. I can't help with the Batman stuff though.

Also, give The Spirit a try. Go on.

Wildcat on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    The point is I don't think the problem is world-changing events, its when these events are completely idiotic, like Civil War.

Yeah, DC has a lot of those, too.

The key is finding "good books with solid writing," not "books published by X company."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited March 2007

As opposed to what? Infinite Crisis?

Anyway, my point wasn't that huge events are bad (though I think they're usually pretty insipid). My point was that I think buying books based on whether Marvel or DC puts them out is about as silly as fighting over whether Superman could beat up Galactus. Like somebody else said, just buy the books you like.

ALSO: JSA as a good 'starting point' ? It's a book specifically aimed at the thirty-year-old DC continuity wonk.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited March 2007
    hughtron wrote: »

Yes but 52 doesn't have Superman deciding he should stop fighting because a building might burn down and then getting
    shot on the steps of a courthouse with Kryptonite bullets

That's because they already killed him once, and it almost destroyed the comics industry.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

antman_007_016inks.jpg

Dagnabbit, I love Robert Kirkman.

LRG on
    edited March 2007
    I wish Cory Walker drew every comic. At least more.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So anyone remember back in the mid-90's when they did that DC vs. Marvel series of comics? Then followed that up with Amalgam?

I remember a moment in DC vs. Marvel where Spider-Man first is "beamed" into Gotham City, and Joker is trying to blow up a building. Joker knows Spidey, but Spidey doesn't know Joker, and is surprised Joker knows him.

Anyone know why this is? My memory is spotty, but is this the reason?

There was a crossover between Spider-Man/Batman (however it's highly regarded as out-of-continuity), and I think around the time of DC vs. Marvel, they had the whole clone thing going on. So perhaps Ben Reilly was crossed over, and he wasn't involved in the Batman/Spidey crossover.

Sound good?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sure. Sounds great. I know that DC comics exist as comics (somehow) in the Marvel U, so maybe it's the same deal?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Read Green Lantern, Ion, and Green Lantern Corps. Since those series all started in the last year and a half, you should be able to track down the issues or get the trades. GLC:Rebirth, in particular, is pretty great.

Beyond that, having been in sorta the same boat as you a few months back, I'd recommend the new JLA and JSA books for the sheer number of characters you'll see. Wikipedia will help you out with whatever else you need to know.

Teen Titans...

also, Robin is pretty good. Detective Comics is not bad.

I tried Green Lantern, but damn if Hal Jordan is not the most boring hero ever. Although Ion is pretty good... Kyle is still the best.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

Teen Titans...

I tried Green Lantern, but damn if Hal Jordan is not the most boring hero ever. Although Ion is pretty good... Kyle is still the best.

I know a certain man with a bowlcut that would like to have a word with you

Garlic Bread on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SpiderFan.org has a synopsis
    Apparently it's Ben Reilly Spider-Man, who wasn't the one in Spider-Man/Batman. I guess these two books are supposed to be in the same continuity.

JoeUser on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

i recommend checkmate as well. the codes they use take a little bit before you stop thinking about how stupid they sound, but the situations are a lot of fun, i think. it's like queen and country but in the dcu. also, if you enjoy green lanterns, the original green lantern is the white king in the first trade.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Teen Titans...

I do love me some Guy Gardener... except his last mini... Collateral Damage maybe? That was just poorly written trash. But man... reading him in Corps is magical.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is...Is it true what I heard?

Is he...Is he gone?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    I don't get why Chaykin is some sort of legend among comic creators. At least not from his recent work.

DJ Eebs on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I do love me some Guy Gardener... except his last mini... Collateral Damage maybe? That was just poorly written trash. But man... reading him in Corps is magical.

That's because it was Howard Chaykin and his writing isn't good and his art is absolute buttshit

Garlic Bread on
  • SeravenSeraven Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, I realize it came out last week, but... did 7 Brothers REALLY end at issue 5?

If so, was it just me, or was anyone else entirely disappointed by the ending? Seriously. It's like the ending was just one large joke on Ennis's behalf. When I finished reading it, I just stared at the page and tried to suppress my rage (or laughter, I honestly couldn't tell you which one).

So, really -- it's over? THAT was the ending?

Seraven on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I haven't read much of DC or GL, but Guy Gardner in GLC is fucking awesome. I was gonna buy Collateral Damage because of that, but the owner of the LCS convinced me to do otherwise. Kyle is right behind Guy in my esteem.
    Seraven wrote: »
    Okay, I realize it came out last week, but... did 7 Brothers REALLY end at issue 5?

If so, was it just me, or was anyone else entirely disappointed by the ending? Seriously. It's like the ending was just one large joke on Ennis's behalf. When I finished reading it, I just stared at the page and tried to suppress my rage (or laughter, I honestly couldn't tell you which one).

So, really -- it's over? THAT was the ending?

Yes, it's over. No, I wasn't disappointed in the ending. I thought it ended quite well. If anything, I wish Ennis had stretched it out a few more issues.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For some reason I just read the Toxin mini.

Who in the world thought it was a good idea for the main villain of a symbiote to be some jackass with swords for hands?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • SeravenSeraven Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, it's over. No, I wasn't disappointed in the ending. I thought it ended quite well. If anything, I wish Ennis had stretched it out a few more issues.

That's exactly what I thought. My problem wasn't necessarily the closing of the series, it was just how very sudden it was. It seemed like there would still be a few more issues to deal with the Son of Hell's villainry, but what we get instead is Ennis pulling out the
    dragon card and ending things early. Although I thought it was amusing at first at how Ronald turned into a dragon and all, it all just seemed a bit... inane. Not to mention how quickly the trade ships came to save the day.

I really enjoyed the series, so I guess all I'm trying to say is, I had hoped the journey would last a little longer. Oh well.

Seraven on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Is he...Is he gone?

Cap? Yes.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So dudes

I am reading Punisher MAX

is it generally accepted as being in it's own continuity?

because frank is a loooot older there than he seems to be in War Journal/other MU appearances

Sars_Boy on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So dudes

because frank is a loooot older there than he seems to be in War Journal/other MU appearances

Probably.

No other heroes, except for Fury, are ever brought in during the series, and Castle is somewhere in his 50s. I'd say it's a "different" Punisher than War Journal's, almost like an "Ultimate" Punisher.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    So dudes

yeah, basically its own continuity. frank has aged normally since 'nam in the max version (in everything ennis has written him in, really), so is now in his late fifties or mid-sixties

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Is he...Is he gone?

Yes.

As are all of the issues.

Reprinting supposedly coming soon.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

Is he...Is he gone?

Cap? Yes.
    Meh. It'd be more shocking were it not for the inevitable miraculous resurrection that'll occur in a year or two.

Either that, or he'll be replaced by some new guy we've never seen before, named "Roger Stevens" or something.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, so I just found out that apparently Giffen and DeMatteis are writing another superhero book (Planetary Brigade) for BOOM! in the old bwa-ha-ha style, and it's got like, half a dozen issues out. How is it?

How about the new Thunderbolts? Worth picking up? For that matter, how are the old Thunderbolts books that Busiek and later Nicieza worked on?

Munch on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The new T-Bolts book is great. I like seeing all of the old, unused characters that Ellis dredges up an writes in a new light. I wouldn't have ever expected to give a flying rat's ass about Jack Flag, but he made it happen.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah. You've got to love how they showed what a bad ass Jack Flag was. Makes me wish I had heard of him before Thunderbolts. Awesome, awesome, awesome.
    Was it wrong for me to laugh when Songbird got hit in the neck with a sewer grate?

MiSTieOtaku on
This discussion has been closed.