As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens: How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I can say that dead space is on of those few modern games that has given me the general sense of dread and terror as System Shock 2 did.

Though maybe not the same amount of lingering creepiness after a sitting.

• Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Uriel wrote:
    "Your song is not ouuuuurrs."

A thousand eyes look

Edit: Bear I played the first few hours of Dead Space!!

Crowbawt on
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Play the rest!

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    So yeah this trailer :^:

My hope too is that they stick with practical effects, but some shots from the trailer look to be CGI. I don't mind exactly I just think in both Alien and Aliens the practical effects were very good and still hold up really well.

From the brief glimpses in the trailer it looks like the sets and general look of the technology will match the first two films.

Do we know if this is indeed a prequel, or if this movie takes place during the events of Alien,Aliens or Alien3?

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to get home and watch this trailer

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    hello my baby hello my honey hello my ragtime gaaaaaaaaal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-liDOBqwU

I saw this when I was a kid before I saw Alien or Star Wars. I tell you what it warped my perception of things for a long time.

Aliens is my single favourite movie by a huge margin, seen it a goddamn million times and know every line of the wretched thing. Its perfect.

Also I hated Deadspace 1 but loved the shit out of Deadspace 2, so give the second a shot even if you didnt care for the first, it improves on the first in pretty much every way.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    It looks to me like there will be a good mix of both CGI and practical effects in Prometheus.
    Also, even Avatar had some practical effects in a few scenes (or I got fooled by the world's most convincing green screen laboratories), so I'm optimistic.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    prometheus looks fucking amazing

i hope it lives up to the expectations

• Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    I just want to see a good ol' robotic alien puppet at some point

CGI is good for some things, but for close, detailed shots I love the practical

• Options
    The best horror movie I've ever seen is The Thing. The practical effects in that movie are great.

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    Oh damn. That trailer.

Take a backseat, DKR and Avengers.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone remember the late 80s (or early 90s i forget) remake of The Blob? That shit is a fucking terrifying example of why practical effects are forged by satan to spread horror and woe

I saw it when I was fucking 8. I was like, oh so thats what it would look like if a kid was slowly dissolved and digested alive, my nightmares will make use of that visual until puberty!

Prohass on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I am getting Dead Space from Goozex in the nest few days
    That Prometheus trailer looks quite good

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Between DKR, The Hobbit, and Prometheus, this has been an excellent week for trailers.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Okay so Prometheus is going to be a prequel to Alien
    But there will be no Xenomorphs

I may not be keen of that decision but I do like Scott's reasoning of it
    "No. Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He [the xenomorph] did very well," Scott said. "[He laughs.] He survived, he's now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ!"

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    Futore wrote:
    hrghhhhhhhh that looks so good.

also, Thank you, Annie. For some reason your post reminded me that there is now a Youtube app on Xbox Live and I just watched the Prometheus trailer on my big TV

I got chills like crazy. It's going to be so good
    Totally going to do this when I get home.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Im scared to be excited about Prometheus. Its everything ive ever wanted, a friend of mine saw the trailer and he was like "this is like your dream movie, the one you always describe wanting to see". If I get too hyped, or let myself get too excited, it might scare the movie back down its warren, or make it fumble under the pressure and suck. Please be good.

Prohass on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote:

"No. Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He [the xenomorph] did very well," Scott said. "[He laughs.] He survived, he's now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ!"

Maybe it's about the Space Jockey, then? And the explorers find what's left of its civilization?

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FCD wrote:
    BusterK wrote:

Maybe it's about the Space Jockey, then? And the explorers find what's left of its civilization?

That's what it looks like

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote:
    Im scared to be excited about Prometheus. Its everything ive ever wanted, a friend of mine saw the trailer and he was like "this is like your dream movie, the one you always describe wanting to see". If I get too hyped, or let myself get too excited, it might scare the movie back down its warren, or make it fumble under the pressure and suck. Please be good.

Don't worry, Prohass, we can all agree that everything you do and everything you think has absolutely no affect on anyone or anything in existence. So you can be happy in knowing that to this movie and every one who will see it

You

do not

matter.

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Futore wrote:
    Prohass wrote:

Don't worry, Prohass, we can all agree that everything you do and everything you think has absolutely no affect on anyone or anything in existence. So you can be happy in knowing that to this movie and every one who will see it

You

do not

matter.

This is the most reassuring thing anyone could ever say

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Space jockey was always a cool thing to me

apart from the really creepy space jokey multiplayer level in Fur Fighters

that was just odd

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote:
    FCD wrote:
    BusterK wrote:

That's what it looks like

Looks like the Jockey's ship isn't a complete wreck yet.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I remember wanting to see Alien and Aliens when I was little because they had just come out with the Kenner toys and my grandma got some for my brother and I when we saw them at te store.

My mother tried to explain that it was very scary and tried to describe the plot but she is notoriously bad at watching movies. She will miss large pieces of plot and I guess her mind fills in the rest with whatever sounds right. Anyway, her version of the movie is that the alien gets inside you it controls your body like a puppet and makes you do things and then it bursts out to attack people.

She kinda combined The Thing with Alien, basically. Even at that age I was all "No that doesn't sound right…"

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    ah yes I saw this on opening night.
    in NYC
    theater downtown, right near Radio City I believe.

packed house. LOUD cheering at every appropriate moment (and some not so).

when the paul rieser guy finally got greased, raised the roof off the place.

pure 100% badass shitkicking movie moment for me, the best, never forget it.
    a day in the Core is like a day in paradise!
    every meal a banquet!
    every paycheck a fortune!

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what I can never quite figure out is if there are other aliens in the Aliens universe. The scene where they're talking about Acturian poon-tang or whatever. Im like, wait are they talking about having sex with another species, something genetically engineered? Particularly with the line "except your one was MALE"

I am a nerd.

and they talk about it being like a bug hunt. Implying there are other creatures on other worlds. Which kind of clashes with my idea of the universe, which seems very space-faring but not star Treky. Like I always assumed that the creatures were the first alien race they encountered.

I assume there is at least no other intelligent lifeforms, only creatures.

Prohass on
  • Options
    TankHammer wrote:
    I remember wanting to see Alien and Aliens when I was little because they had just come out with the Kenner toys and my grandma got some for my brother and I when we saw them at te store.

My mother tried to explain that it was very scary and tried to describe the plot but she is notoriously bad at watching movies. She will miss large pieces of plot and I guess her mind fills in the rest with whatever sounds right. Anyway, her version of the movie is that the alien gets inside you it controls your body like a puppet and makes you do things and then it bursts out to attack people.

She kinda combined The Thing with Alien, basically. Even at that age I was all "No that doesn't sound right…"

I want to watch your mom's movie

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote:
    what I can never quite figure out is if there are other aliens in the Aliens universe. The scene where they're talking about Acturian poon-tang or whatever. Im like, wait are they talking about having sex with another species, something genetically engineered? Particularly with the line "except your one was MALE"

I am a nerd.

I don't know if humans ever had ongoing contact with alien species other than xenomorphs in the Alien series - but remember in the first Alien movie that big ass spacecraft with the eggs in it was some kind of alien ship, and there was a random dead alien unlike anything else that was shown inside it.

• Options
    jwalk wrote:
    a day in the Core is like a day in paradise!
    every meal a banquet!
    every paycheck a fortune!

Every formation a Parade!

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Crowbawt wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    "Your song is not ouuuuurrs."

A thousand eyes look

Edit: Bear I played the first few hours of Dead Space!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5xGLj1RME&feature=related

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    I can say that dead space is on of those few modern games that has given me the general sense of dread and terror as System Shock 2 did.

Though maybe not the same amount of lingering creepiness after a sitting.

Have you played Amnesia? Because it's pretty scary and I recommend it to anyone who likes that kind of thing.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Al_wat wrote:
    Prohass wrote:

I am a nerd.

I don't know if humans ever had ongoing contact with alien species other than xenomorphs in the Alien series - but remember in the first Alien movie that big ass spacecraft with the eggs in it was some kind of alien ship, and there was a random dead alien unlike anything else that was shown inside it.

Oh yeah discounting the Space Jockey civilisation, which is kind of a part of the discovery of the xenomorphs, which is all under wraps. I mean culturally, like what do the people of this universe know about Aliens/creatures on other worlds? Is it common like Star Trek, rare, are aliens known to exist as micobes or animals, or is non-earth life basically unheard of so being confronted with xenomorphs is even more of a shock?

It seems to imply there are at least other creatures non-native to earth out there, in the kind of off-hand 'classification' of xenomorphs.

Prohass on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Never seemed like the Alien was unique.

Well, scratch that. It was unique in that it was a double hard space-monster. Nobody seemed surprised it was an alien.

I mean, remember when they talked about Ripley as a consultant?

"She's supposed to be some kinda consultant. Apparently she saw an alien once."

"Whoopee-fuckin'-do. Hey, I'm impressed."

That isn't "Holy crap, alien life!"

It isn't "Bullshit. No such animal."

It's more "Aliens exist, and they may be uncommon, but they aren't particularly interesting."

I mean, look at the first movie. Nobody seems to think this is a matter of great import for humanity, a time of wonder and awe. They're talking bonuses and standard protocol.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah it wasn't "holy fuck first contact" it was more "huh, aliens"

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:

Well, scratch that. It was unique in that it was a double hard space-monster. Nobody seemed surprised it was an alien.

It's more "Aliens exist, and they may be uncommon, but they aren't particularly interesting."

I mean, look at the first movie. Nobody seems to think this is a matter of great import for humanity, a time of wonder and awe. They're talking bonuses and standard protocol.

Also don't they refer to the mission as a "bug hunt"
    Makes me thing they have experienced, if not intelligent life, some kind of life

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:

Yeah thats what ive always thought. I think they're rare, and there might be like extreme genetic modification of humans, which might be what the whole Acturian poon-tang line is about.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote:
    Prohass wrote:

I am a nerd.

That would be the "Space Jockey"

In Aliens in the debriefing of Ripley..or trial one of the ladies reads the description Ripley gave of the creature and states that they haven't seen any such creature in over 3000 surveyed worlds. I think maybe there are other life forms but nothing intelligent maybe? Or nothing on the level that Ripley's report showed the Xenomorphs to be. I think the Artuian Poontang may either be some kind of genetic alteration deal. I mean we don't know how long we have been in space in this universe maybe some kind of species divergence happened?

I know in the Alien universe novelizations the space jockeys are run across and apparently have a very strong hatred for the aliens, and maybe don't have such a fine opinion of humans either. I think it was even mentioned a few times that the Aliens might have been biological weapons that got out of control.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Frost: Hey, I sure wouldn't mind getting some more of that Arcturian poontang! Remember that time?
    Spunkmeyer: Yeah, Frost, but the one that you had was a male!
    Frost: It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!

Yeah im thinking its some kind of genetic deviation or altered humans. Cos im a NEEEEERRRRRD and CANON MUST BE ESTABLISHED

Also I cant believe this bit isnt in the original cut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYGgOXww48

Prohass on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular