As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOOM Mods and WADs Discussion] - Celebrating 19 Years of Demon Disembowelment!

13»

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    For an 8 year old game, it doesn't look half bad really, some low ass 2004-era texture work aside. I can't really tell the difference with the new lighting system, though YouTube videos aren't good demonstrators of visual fidelity to be fair.

I have read a couple Intarweb harglbargls about the BFG version being too bright though. Let the irony sink in for a bit.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I remember this one doom2 megawad that I played the shit out of about a year or two ago, but lost during a reformat. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, and the only thing I can remember was that the map had normal weapons, and recolored cacodemons.

I don't guess there's another nice list of all the big megawads, is there? I looked through the 'ten years' list, but couldn't find it.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    I remember this one doom2 megawad that I played the shit out of about a year or two ago, but lost during a reformat. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, and the only thing I can remember was that the map had normal weapons, and recolored cacodemons.

I don't guess there's another nice list of all the big megawads, is there? I looked through the 'ten years' list, but couldn't find it.
    Well, other than poring through the whole /idgames megawad database, these kinds of questions often pop up on the Doomworld forums frequently. There's been plenty of threads about little-known or overlooked WADs that you can check out.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Does the BFG Edition have the awful flashlight system of the original Doom 3 or did they finally fix that?

I remember that on PC years ago there was a mod called the "duct tape mod" that was basically essential for standard game enjoyment.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Does the BFG Edition have the awful flashlight system of the original Doom 3 or did they finally fix that?

I remember that on PC years ago there was a mod called the "duct tape mod" that was basically essential for standard game enjoyment.

Doom Guy now has a flashlight on his shoulder. So you can have the light on and still use your guns. Damn thing still only lasts 2 seconds though... You'd think we'd have decent battery technology that far into the future.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I played through Doom 3 twice, once without the duct tape mod, one with. The duct tape reproduces a more familiar gaming experience, and is welcome. However, there is a certain terror to having hallways only lit up by staccato muzzle flash...

The Trent Reznor sound pack was the only other mod I used, and that one I kept installed at all times.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    I redownloaded zDoom to play DTWID, but something felt off when I played through E1M1 in Ultimate Doom. After fiddling with Chocolate Doom, I realized that my problem with zDoom was that it looked way too clean and smooth. So I cranked the resolution down to 320x256 and everything felt right again.

One interesting change of running Doom in gigantic resolutions is that it makes the dark areas less dark. You can always see a bit of everything around you. But playing in 320x256, there are some bits that are absolutely pitch black. It makes the areas with flickering lights a lot more intense than what I had grown accustomed to over the years. For the first time since I was a kid, Doom is scary again.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Well, shit. Doom 3 has been completely removed from Steam and the Id Super Pack has been abolished. It's like Bethesda doesn't want my money, because I'm sure not buying any of the games that were in the Super Pack individually.

DTWID is pretty nice. The level design feels chaotic at times, but I'm happy to have a megawad that's just "more doom". A lot of the megawads I've tried seem like they're aimed at players way above the skill level of someone who plays on the default difficulty.

Edit: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/24/mod-ern-warfare-non-bfg-doom-3-yanked-from-steam/
    “DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil are now only available through the BFG Edition, which also includes the Lost Mission,” a rep told RPS. “If you already own the original versions of DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil, you will still be able to access them from within your Steam library.”

“We do realize that there are fans that would like to purchase the original version of the game, and we’re looking into options for them. When there’s new info to share, we’ll let everyone know.”

Which is a bit of an odd thing to say, given that the seemingly obvious answer is to just put Doom 3 back on Steam

My money's on "Doom 3 will only be available in a bundle with Doom 3 BFG edition".

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    I'm just miffed that I've never gotten a chance to play through the Doom II Master Levels - it's never been on sale individually, only in the Complete pack; and if that's been yanked for whatever reason I probably never will.

DTWID is a pretty great level set, very simple and no-frills with lots of challenge. I can't wait to see what the results of the in-the-works Doom II The Way id Did are!

• Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    AaronKI " A lot of the megawads I've tried seem like they're aimed at players way above the skill level of someone who plays on the default difficulty."

THIS. So much this. For whatever reason, most megawads veer towards the extra challenging. By which I mean I put it on the lowest difficulty setting and STILL get annihilated.

Though I'm playing through Epic 2 and Strain at the moment, and both scale up the difficulty nicely.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I'm just miffed that I've never gotten a chance to play through the Doom II Master Levels - it's never been on sale individually, only in the Complete pack; and if that's been yanked for whatever reason I probably never will.

DTWID is a pretty great level set, very simple and no-frills with lots of challenge. I can't wait to see what the results of the in-the-works Doom II The Way id Did are!

It was a while ago during one of the Quake Cons or something, that's when I snagged it. That said the controls are fucked up and all over the place for some reason and inputs work maybe half the time.

As for classic mods I see a distinct lack of Cyber Dreams discussion.

Other mods I liked but don't see much talk about.

Doom 2s Hellraiser TC It's really fucking hard and huge, awesome too if you're a fan of the movies and probably even if you aren't.

The Army of Darkness TC Army of Darkness in your doom, Evil Dead fans.

Final Fantasy Doom TC for all the original episodes of Doom remember having lots of fun with it.

I'm sure there's more but it's been a long time since I've modded up doom.

SkutSkut on
  • Options

Amazon has a few used copies for $15 after shipping. That's the only classic Doom thing I don't have a copy of from back in the day, so I'll go that route when I decide it's time to get it. I'm not sure why we never picked it up, but I remember seeing the creepy black and white box on software shelves at wal-mart.

From what I've listened to so far, the DTWID original music is pretty nice too. A lot of it feels right at home with the original soundtrack.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »

It was a while ago during one of the Quake Cons or something, that's when I snagged it. That said the controls are fucked up and all over the place for some reason and inputs work maybe half the time.

As for classic mods I see a distinct lack of Cyber Dreams discussion.

Other mods I liked but don't see much talk about.

Doom 2s Hellraiser TC It's really fucking hard and huge, awesome too if you're a fan of the movies and probably even if you aren't.

The Army of Darkness TC Army of Darkness in your doom, Evil Dead fans.

Final Fantasy Doom TC for all the original episodes of Doom remember having lots of fun with it.

I'm sure there's more but it's been a long time since I've modded up doom.
    All it took for me was seeing a Moogle as your character. I'm SO gonna enjoy this.

Thanks for the heads up on the Master Levels; I'll check out Amazon tomorrow when I get the time.

• Options
    Mac copies of the Master Levels are even cheaper, but I'm not sure if you need to run an installer before you have access to the .WADs. Probably not worth the risk of having a coaster just to save $5

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    All it took for me was seeing a Moogle as your character. I'm SO gonna enjoy this.
    I was going to try that one out, but the download link on the page that skut linked to isn't working. That made me sad. Gonna have to do some google detectivin'.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10684

Doomworld (Especially their Cacowards) is pretty much the best place to turn to for information. Zdoom's wiki also has a good amount of information too.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    My favorite TC was the Aliens one.
    Dude really did his best to recreate the places from the movie and the guns were cool too.

Chaingun became the pulse rifle
    Rockets became the grenade launcher (same sprite texture, except red display instead of green)

Plasma became the M-56
    Power Loader was Chainsaw+Mega Armor.

Totally playing through the movie, with the bonus level being the Space Jockey.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Well, then, have an Aliens vs. Predator WAD to salivate over for a while!

Also, here's another Aliens-inspired mapset. I recall somebody trying to update the original Aliens TC, but I can't seem to find the details right now.
    heenato wrote: »
    I was going to try that one out, but the download link on the page that skut linked to isn't working. That made me sad. Gonna have to do some google detectivin'.
    I actually found it right here, just download the .zip file.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    For Doom II, my favorite megawad was Memento Mori II. They accomplished some really neat things with that limited engine. MM1 is also good, but MM2 is amazing. For multiplayer, of course, you can't beat Gothic DM. (Long time Doom fans know this one, of course.)

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=8221

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    CC6776B72F74544AA517B58AD07B990D3C7638DC
    All episodes of Doom 1 finished on Ultra-Violence.
    Now on to Doom 2!

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    That shotgun has no trigger. How does he fire it?

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Holy shit.
    :shock:

• Options
    We're talking about DOOMGUY here. He's so badass he probably just wills the shotgun to fire. . . with his MIND.

MIND BULLETS. That's telekinesis, Kyle!

• Options
    We're talking about DOOMGUY here. He's so badass he probably just wills the shotgun to fire. . . with his MIND.

MIND BULLETS. That's telekinesis, Kyle!

That explains why he never has to reload. But then, what's in the ammo packs?!

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    More drugs.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    See also my signature.

Right now I'm playing a recently released WAD called Illuminatus Episode 1, and while it's doesn't do anything spectacularly well, it's certainly competent and enjoyable enough to scratch that itch for some Dooming between playing a huge single map and a megawad.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    YOU ARE HUGE

THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS

I love the Doom comic.

• Options
    The latest version of Brutal Doom (v. 0.17) is now available for your enjoyment. Oh yeah, it's still awesome. And to think that just one guy is responsible for this stroke of genius. I'm currently using it in a megawad called "Vile Flesh", which seems pretty good so far.

• Options
    Hurrah, Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil are back in the Steam store. The Id Super Pack and the Master Levels still remain a casualty of the original decision to pull D3 from Steam, though.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I mentioned that back in the Doom 3 BFG Let's Play thread - fourteen bucks for the both of them with the ability to be modded sounds like a good deal.

Here's an interesting sounding WAD that I'll be trying out soon: "Global Death: Ruins of Humanity", a mapset with multiple paths (some stages have two exits leading to different routes) and endings depending on which levels you go through. Could be fun.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    AWWWWW, man, the same brilliant(?) genius who came up with the "If Doom Was Done Today" WAD a while back actually made a sequel, releasing on the same day as Black Ops II.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NURfvG0lfpA
    Brilliant parody, or damning indictment of the state of the industry today? Or both? It can be both, can't it?

EDIT: Oh yeah, if anybody's interested, the beta for Serious Sam: The Retro Encounter was recently released!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zr5wjODtMes

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    That makes me sad.
    And I think it's both.

• Options
    The interrogation scenes in that are pretty great. The rest looks impressive, but dreadful to play.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    "Tell us about the keycards, what do they mean?!?"
    Yeah, the Zero Punctuation review juxtaposing Medal of Honor: Warfighter with Doom 3: BFG Edition was actually very interesting in the way Yahzee just up and said the game with the simpler mentality (that would be Doom) was loads more fun to actually play than the polished, modern AAA title (Warfighter). That's the way it goes nowadays, sadly.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I can appreciate something like Serious Sam: The Retro Encounter, but at the same time I think that adding ADS and multiplayer awards kind of defeats the purpose.

• Options
    I can appreciate something like Serious Sam: The Retro Encounter, but at the same time I think that adding ADS and multiplayer awards kind of defeats the purpose.
    The "awards" can't be helped; it's been a part of Skulltag/Zandronum (the source port) for a long time now. As for the ADS, that's more of a stylistic choice considering the original concept of The Retro Encounter was based more on Serious Sam: The First/Second Encounter, but rejiggered to play more like Serious Sam 3 (with the Pistol and Assault Rifle - or the Tommygun in this case - having fine aim for better accuracy at range). This is supposed to be a multiplayer mod first and foremost, though, so the chances that anybody will actually use that are pretty slim.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    HAPPY NINETEENTH BIRTHDAY, DOOM!!!! *sounds of various noisemakers and gunfire*

It's December 10th, the day the original Doom was released, and it continues to inch ever closer to legal drinking age! It's also the day for Doomworld's annual Cacowards, celebrating the finest user-created maps and modifications from the past year (results forthcoming). Here's a couple of great ways to celebrate the day:

Winter's Fury is a three-part, story driven 15-map set for GZDoom by celebrated mapper Starscream with a frigid, arctic motif perfect for ushering in the winter months. Very impressive use of atmospheric effects and a cold color pallet with great architecture.

Hellbound is a mostly complete work in progress that features some great complex level design and generally fun gameplay often punctuated by impromptu heavy combat with lots of enemies in the middle or the end of maps. It's tough, but generally doable stuff with long maps that make for good lengthy sessions of blowing stuff up.

DOOM: The Mercenaries is a mod that essentially recreates the gameplay style of Resident Evil 4 with. . . er, actually, I think I should just let this speak for itself. . .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AuKMUw-yEeo
    The guy behind it, DOOMERO-21, has made a name for himself within the modding community for providing great rips of models and sprites, essentially making mods that recreate games like Doom 3, Mortal Kombat(!?!) and stuff like this. Mindblowing, really.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    The Master Levels are available again on Steam! They're in a Doom Classic Pack that's on sale for $3.75 today.

soempty.jpg