As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new [STEAM] thread

• Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Fing YA! FINALLY! Man that was hard
    runner.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Wow. I was loving Deus Ex:Human revolution...

And then I fought the first boss. Drive to play instantly destroyed. People were NOT kidding. when they said the bosses sucked.

Welp. Time to install one of the other games I have...Oh god, I'm running out of hard drive space.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Okay - here are the remaining things I have to gift out. All are open to members of the Penny Arcade group. It's the bits of a bundle I bought that I don't need since I already owned them or don't have any interest in myself. I hope there's somebody in our group that can put them to good use. :)

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    jclast wrote:
    Okay - here are the remaining things I have to gift out. All are open to members of the Penny Arcade group. It's the bits of a bundle I bought that I don't need since I already owned them or don't have any interest in myself. I hope there's somebody in our group that can put them to good use. :)

Don't mind if I do... I've never heard of these outside this thread, but I think it's time I tried a few more indie games.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Just beat Rochard. Clocked in at 5 hours. If I 100%'d the game probably would have taken about 6. SMB, FIGHTING BACK AGAINST THE BACKLOG! I think I will continue onto Whispered World and then take it to a FPS afterward. AvP or Duke Forever?

still have three copies of Hoard but no one has messaged me on steam yet.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend some TBS from Steam? I bought AI War and tried the demo of Star Ruler, but I`m looking for something slow-paced that I can leave and come back to. I have Galciv 2 and Civ 4, but I find them irritating because there are seven million things you can do each turn, so they give me horrible AP before pressing the `End Turn` button.

And, now I come to think of it, it would be better if it was fantasy or WW2 rather than space. I really wanted that Elemental: War of Magic game, before it turned out to be a clusterfuck.

Anyway, if you have any recommendations from the bowels of Steam, please tell. I don`t keep up on PC games very much.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Also in case anyone is on the fence, L.A. Noire is fucking amazing. The only negative I have to say about it is that it's a pretty terrible port. Or at least, that's what I assume, as it goes into a slideshow every minute or so when I'm driving or wandering around, and this is on a machine that runs BF3 on high with 60fps and Skyrim maxed out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Holy shit Skyrim is gorgeous with mods, especially the realistic lighting one. I just keep stopping and panning around in awe. No apparent performance hit, either. It blows my mind how quickly fans produce these awesome improvements that never show up in stock games.
    heenato wrote:
    Wow. I was loving Deus Ex:Human revolution...

And then I fought the first boss. Drive to play instantly destroyed. People were NOT kidding. when they said the bosses sucked.

Welp. Time to install one of the other games I have...Oh god, I'm running out of hard drive space.

If it makes you feel any better, there's only three bosses in that line, and the first is the worst for lack of preparation. You can beat him just using the explosive/gas barrels laying around the room, but stunning him with grenades and headshotting him works well too. They take up maybe a half hour total in a huge, excellent game, so try to push past it!

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Holy shit, thanks @Spoit!

He just sent me codes for
    Zombie Shooter 1
    inMomentum
    Hacker Evolution:Duality
    Saira
    Your Doodles Are Bugged!
    Zombie Shooter 2
    Hacker Evolution: Untold

(They all worked (although Steam seems to keep trying to install SR3, it showed the logo and tried to install it after every code was redeemed))

• Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote:
    Can anyone recommend some TBS from Steam? I bought AI War and tried the demo of Star Ruler, but I`m looking for something slow-paced that I can leave and come back to. I have Galciv 2 and Civ 4, but I find them irritating because there are seven million things you can do each turn, so they give me horrible AP before pressing the `End Turn` button.

And, now I come to think of it, it would be better if it was fantasy or WW2 rather than space. I really wanted that Elemental: War of Magic game, before it turned out to be a clusterfuck.

Anyway, if you have any recommendations from the bowels of Steam, please tell. I don`t keep up on PC games very much.
    Wellllll.. i don't think this is what you were thinking of (and it's not fantasy or ww2) but i'll throw it out there. A classic. Chessmaster GM edition.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote:

King's Bounty is meant to be good (I have it, but haven't played it yet so can't say for sure).

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

If it makes you feel any better, there's only three bosses in that line, and the first is the worst for lack of preparation. You can beat him just using the explosive/gas barrels laying around the room, but stunning him with grenades and headshotting him works well too. They take up maybe a half hour total in a huge, excellent game, so try to push past it!
    Might just shove it down to easy for this fight, and screw the achievements. I've already faffed up the no kills achievement, so what's faffing up a couple more gonna do?

It doesn't help that I only have like, 3 grenades currently, and almost no ammo for anything else (Except a 10mm, which seems to bounce off him) I'm guessing stamina killing him is right out.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    poshniallo wrote:

King's Bounty is meant to be good (I have it, but haven't played it yet so can't say for sure).
    It's pseudo TBS. You wander around the world map getting resources and units, in real time, but the actual battles are hex, turn based things. It's a good game, but more of a tactical level than the other 4X games he mentioned.

Maybe something like one of the total war games, which have a turnbased world map that isn't that different from civ and the like, but has RTS battles (which you can autoresolve to play just like a civ game)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    wait wait wait those indie bundles give you individual games you can activate or give out on their own?

Oh nevermind that was from indie gala or royalle or one of those bundles. For some reason I though it was in those indie packs from the sale

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Indiegala and Indie Royale do. Not Humble.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Last call, or else I'm just going to give them away randomly when I see them on Wishlists. Going to bed soon but will check my PMS in the morning.

UP FOR GRABS

Terraria
    Dungeon Defenders

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    He's going to check his PMS. *butthead laugh*

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    I can't catch up to the thread, but I commend you all for your generosity :)

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY . I really want to play that game now.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote:
    Last call, or else I'm just going to give them away randomly when I see them on Wishlists. Going to bed soon but will check my PMS in the morning.

UP FOR GRABS

Terraria
    Dungeon Defenders

Dungeon Defenders! Pwease?

• Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    I went to bed, woke up and saw Serious Sam HD: Double Pack gifted to me by @Slimcea. Damn classy of you, good Sir.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Saira and inMomentum are both good games.

Saira is on the short list of my favorite games I played over 2011. It's so well done. Some really good, tough precision platforming and puzzles that will melt your brain, wrapped up in fantastic atmospherics that really sell the story. The only downside is that you have to use a program like Joy2Key or Xpadder to use a controller, and I wouldn't want to play it without one.

So yeah, that's pretty classy there jclast.

• Options
    Indiegala is still running if people want those games. Not that anyone needs anymore

http://www.indiegala.com/

Kinda feel a bit bad for them. Average is still under 2 dollars.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Shade wrote:
    Raiden333 wrote:

UP FOR GRABS

Terraria
    Dungeon Defenders

Dungeon Defenders! Pwease?

Why is he so classy? WHY IS HE SO CLASSY?!

EDIT: Manetherenwolf is also full of class, as he is the one that classed up Raiden333 who then wore the monocle of justice to fight the tyranny of the lack of dungeon defenders that afflicted myself.

Shade on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    Any must have hidden gems you guys would recommend, that haven't been in the daily sales?

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
  • Options
    Steam, why do you keep randomly pausing my downloads? Are you trying to tell me something about my new games?

• Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote:

It's an older game but Age of Wonder:Shadow Magic might be what your looking for. It's similar in scope to Elemental but actually good. I've enjoyed it back in the day.

The only TBS WWII game I can think of is the old Panzer General games. Panzer General 2 is not on Steam but GOG does have it and it's on sale if you hurry.

• Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    Just want to say thanks to iolo and Darklite for being really cool dudes.

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Not steamworks, but if you have any of those $5 amazon codes, the new sales rolled over. GTA4 for $5 and Civ 4 for $9 (free and $4 after the code) are both steals

Oh yeah, and another good TBS that you could look at is Might and Magic: clash of heroes, though that might be more of a turn based puzzler than strategy

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Haikira wrote:
    Any must have hidden gems you guys would recommend, that haven't been in the daily sales?

I'm still waffling on the Dreamfall/TLJ bundle. I mean it's only $6 but I already own them on CD, Gog, and Xbox.

• Options
    RakkahRakkah Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote:
    @Rakkah I would love Super Meat Boy:)

Sent!

That now leaves:

* Super Meat Boy
    * Portal
    * Cogs
    * -25% of Valve games
    * -50% Airline Tycoon 2
    * -50% Runespell Overture (Not valid until after the sales and it's currently 75% off, keep that in mind)

SC2 SEALanguid.619 USLanguid.362 | Steam
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote:

Age of Wonders trilogy pack is $9.99 for another 8.5 hours. Very worth it if you've never played them. If you want to go with just one, make it Shadow Magic.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote:
    Haikira wrote:

I'm still waffling on the Dreamfall/TLJ bundle. I mean it's only $6 but I already own them on CD, Gog, and Xbox.

I only played TLJ (Got it on Good Old Games) and it's AMAZING. Been meaning to get Dreamfall sometime when I'm bored and have less backlog, so I can't say whether that's good, but if you like adventure games at all TLJ is a must-buy. The setting is incredible.

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Not steamworks, but if you have any of those $5 amazon codes, the new sales rolled over. GTA4 for $5 and Civ 4 for $9 (free and $4 after the code) are both steals

Oh yeah, and another good TBS that you could look at is Might and Magic: clash of heroes, though that might be more of a turn based puzzler than strategy

Who wants GTAIV? I've got some extra coupons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote:

Might just shove it down to easy for this fight, and screw the achievements. I've already faffed up the no kills achievement, so what's faffing up a couple more gonna do?

It doesn't help that I only have like, 3 grenades currently, and almost no ammo for anything else (Except a 10mm, which seems to bounce off him) I'm guessing stamina killing him is right out.

Don't forget to look around the room you're fighting in. There's a fair amount of ammo scattered around and also don't forget to use the Typhoon (I did at first). But yes, the boss fights are terrible and feel like they belong in an entirely different game. The first boss is the worst, though, and once you're past it, the game picks up again and gets really, really good. Don't give up on it yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Big regrets? Buying and Gifting Bunch of Heroes. It isn't the worst game ever but that cheevo took nigh 3 hours, 2 of which were spent waiting to spawn.

In terms of pick ups, Serious Sam BFE from getgamesgo.com for a meagre £9. Waiting too long and *poof* went three keys. But it was hardly a loss with the avalanche of games I ended up acquiring from purchases and mainly from gifts. <3

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Haikira wrote:

Mentioned earlier in the thread, Spectromancer is a really great card battle game, and last I checked the game and two expansions were under $5.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah if you want hidden gems, check out the last chunk of the thread, a great deal of discussion about them was had.

• Options
    BTW, I had some time to play some of Telltales Jurassic Park... It's pretty great so far, though I only played the prologue. I highly recommend playing it with a gamepad though, it's like a giant quicktime event.

• Options
    Not sure when they'll be removing coal and doing the actual contest but people should both add 10 games to their wishlists, and if you have more than 10, put what you want most on top.