As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time Tracking/Time Clock Software

oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to find time clock software for work. I just need something pretty basic where employees can sign in/out for the day and that can generate a reports. Ideally it would interface with Active Directory to generate the list of users and would use AD accounts and passwords.

I've tried googling around, but haven't seen anything that looks particularly appealing. Is anyone familiar enough with this to recommend something or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks.

oldsak on

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    What payroll system do you use? oftentimes they have timeclock modules.

Are you any good with sharepoint or SQL? if you want to keep it simple/cheap, a homegrown process might be your best bet. My company uses Replicon, and apparently it's REALLY expensive.

I think my old company used TimeWizard or something, i wasn't as involved then so i don't know the specifics of that program.

• Options
    Our payroll system does not. We currently have an employee location function rigged to work as an employee sign in/out, but that's going to disappear when we upgrade our system over this coming year. As our current solution is essentially free, expensive is kind of out.

My SQL is rusty, but I have someone who is more proficient with it.

I was kind of thinking something homegrown might end up being the best solution if I can do it. The issue is my boss didn't seem keen on the idea of something homegrown when I mentioned it as an option. I would probably have to build it on my own time (not fun) and show it to him once it is working to get him to buy into the idea.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    It never ceases to amaze me that management often is unwilling to spend money on a solution, and then scoffs at homegrown ("free") solutions.

Does your company have any sort of intranet (like sharepoint) where people could go to enter their hours? I think the interface will be the most difficult aspect of a homegrown system, YMMV and all though.

• Options
    We don't use sharepoint. Our intranet is just an internal website with employee resources.

Yeah, I've no idea how to do the interface as of yet. If I do this, I'll probably probably want to work in java, as that's what I'm most familiar with, and it looks like the JDNI Tutorial is a good place to start.

This discussion has been closed.