As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    You are right Marg, its all "Go to uni and you will get a job" and at least in the UK its not working like that anymore!

Its sucks because you can't expect the poor kids to shift their attitude overnight, but its got to happen.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah college isn't the guarantee it was when we signed up. I got out right when everything started to crumble.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Nope, nevermind.

No post here.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    My parents did the whole "don't waste your life in a service job" to the point that it took me way too long to figure out that a job is a job, and your busniess card doesn't define you as a person.

I grew up always wanting to be an astronomer. I wanted to do something, anything, in astronomy. But I was constantly belittled for it and told there was no money in it, no money, no money, no money. So I gave that up. My first year of college I was on full scholarship for music. But again from the parents there's no money in it! You'll be a failure!

I fucked up my college years so badly because everything I wanted to be had "no money in it" and everything that did have "money" in it was something I didn't want to do.

But I know my parents meant well. They want me to be prosperous and happy and not live paycheck to paycheck.

WELL I SHOWED THEM.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    pew pewwwwwww resume editinggggg fun dayyyyyy

poo
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Margarazzi wrote:
    I'm willing do sexual favors to someone if they were able to transform into a local professional printing press house that was able to perform the tiniest of print jobs and not massively fuck up the process for 5 and a half days in a row. I'm ALMOST willing to go to Kinkos and pay 130% more at this stage.

This, kiddies, is why we submit print jobs "too early." To give people enough time to get their shit together AND do the job.

ON THE TINIEST JOB. 134 pages! Submitted artwork 100% READY TO PRINT.

I'm having... a day. Every external job seems to staffed by the same fuckwits.

Isn't there some online service you could use?

Not without having to pay for shipping. Which I'm not allowed to do for print jobs unless their per-page is ridiculously cheap AND I have my samples in from China in enough time.

I NEVER have my samples from China in time, FYI. All print jobs ever are a rush job.

Hmm, you work in Austin?

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Most people who act like jobs are beneath them couldn't do them anyway. They'd whine and cry about how their hands hurt or their feet hurt and why do I have to stand this is so unfair.

I know right! I feel really bad because I make more than my mother, and I feel awful about it because she comes home in pain everyday from her job that's on her feet, lifting crap, stacking stuff. She's always physically exhausted.

And I get a nice comfy office chair.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    I'm willing do sexual favors to someone if they were able to transform into a local professional printing press house that was able to perform the tiniest of print jobs and not massively fuck up the process for 5 and a half days in a row. I'm ALMOST willing to go to Kinkos and pay 130% more at this stage.

This, kiddies, is why we submit print jobs "too early." To give people enough time to get their shit together AND do the job.

Not without having to pay for shipping. Which I'm not allowed to do for print jobs unless their per-page is ridiculously cheap AND I have my samples in from China in enough time.

I NEVER have my samples from China in time, FYI. All print jobs ever are a rush job.

Hmm, you work in Austin?

Dallas.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    You know what, also no post here.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Nooooooooo, my redaction of my post was too slow.

Damn your lightning responses, Liiya.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Honestly, for the most part, most marketable skills are going to be learned while employed, rather than before. A job environment is infinitely better for gaining a skillset than just spending years and years in school. I know waaaaaaaaaaay more people who started as a receptionist or data entry clerk and worked their way up to a position they never would have been able to get without starting at the bottom, even if they'd spent that time going to school. Hell, my dad started as his job at a fucking janitor. He now does a job very similar to Hunter's.

School is helpful, don't get me wrong, but my counselor's actually discouraged me from working while also being a full time student. 'focus on school' et cetera. Well, I learned way more and have much more to put on my resume because of my employment history. I learned about accounting, management, statistics analysis, not to mention actual pride and work ethic, all because I decided to work through my school years. My job history is far more marketable than my diploma, yet I still need to include my degree and GPA on my resume in order for most employers to actually look at it. It's incredibly frustrating.

Javen on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    What gets me is the number of people with that attitude even if they don't work themselves. Haha, look at that loser working at McDonalds! Says the guy on benefits. Or the guy doing English Lit with the unshakable belief that he'll be working as a Senior Editor at the publishing house of his choice within a month of graduation.

Ed, you don't have to be passive aggressive with yourself. I think yourself already gets the idea.

• Options
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

Hmm, you work in Austin?

Dallas.

Tried these guys?

http://www.amesprinting.com/

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What post.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:

She's good.

too good...

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote:

I edited mine too, because if you want to remove it then I will too, for you. But please keep in mind what I wrote! Especially the last bit.

• Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    What gets me is the number of people with that attitude even if they don't work themselves. Haha, look at that loser working at McDonalds! Says the guy on benefits. Or the guy doing English Lit with the unshakable belief that he'll be working as a Senior Editor at the publishing house of his choice within a month of graduation.

Ed, you don't have to be passive aggressive with yourself. I think yourself already gets the idea.

I'm not remotely academic and I have never been to university and I possess no formal qualifications whatsoever.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Uh, no post here either. nope!

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

Hmm, you work in Austin?

Dallas.

Tried these guys?

http://www.amesprinting.com/

They were, unfortunately, too high. But thanks!

E: Printing is one of those things that you get what you pay for. Finally find the price that fits your (tiny!) budget? You're *going* to have problems with production. I knew that going into it. I just, as Silmaril says below, was coming here to throw a big fit lest I take it out on the next person who rings my line.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Oh come on people. If you can't bitch and moan about shitty working life being shitty on you in this thread without being judged, where the hell can you?

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Silmaril wrote:
    Oh come on people. If you can't bitch and moan about shitty working life being shitty on you in this thread without being judged, where the hell can you?

tumblrlzhlqmzsoy1qzou5k.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Just be a consultant. Tons of rich dudes are consultants and by all accounts most of them seem like they don't actually know how to do shit

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I had a bride in the other day who wanted to talk about flowers, she was getting married on the 16th of June, and I had to say "well sorry, unless its something I can make the day before then its a no-go because I am literally out of the country that day". And she kept looking at me as if I was going to change my holiday day. Nope!

Then she looked at my boss and asked if I were the only one who does wedding flowers and we said yes. Which is amusing because I look about 16 and my boss is a grown woman yet I am the only member of staff who can do bridal stuff. Its a silly set up to say the least!

Liiya on
  • Options
    Just don't go into insurance.

It will leave your soul in tatters.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Liiya wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:

I edited mine too, because if you want to remove it then I will too, for you. But please keep in mind what I wrote! Especially the last bit.

Wait, I was meant to read that?
    I kid, I'll try. <3

P.S. Sorry for causing some kind of chain reaction of posts that never were.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Just don't go into insurance.

It will leave your soul in tatters.

Yeah, I'll gladly stress over the Blasé attitude of printers, sign makers, patch sew-ers, U.S. import customs, and China
    instead of working in insurance.

I got a sweet deal here.

But if I don't WHINE about it how will you people know how much I CARE?

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Liiya wrote:
    I had a bride in the other day who wanted to talk about flowers, she was getting married on the 16th of June, and I had to say "well sorry, unless its something I can make the day before then its a no-go because I am literally out of the country that day". And she kept looking at me as if I was going to change my holiday day. Nope!

Then she looked at my boss and asked if I were the only one who does wedding flowers and we said yes. Which is amusing because I look about 16 and my boss is a grown woman yet I am the only member of staff who can do bridal stuff. Its a silly set up to say the least!

Work experience doesn't necessarily correlate with age?! Lies! At least that story didn't end with your boss demanding that you cancel the holiday in order to prepare bridal flowers. Which is what I was half expecting, to be honest...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Liiya wrote:

Work experience doesn't necessarily correlate with age?! Lies! At least that story didn't end with your boss demanding that you cancel the holiday in order to prepare bridal flowers. Which is what I was half expecting, to be honest...

I was totally expecting that as well.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

Its so strange, she has been surprisingly really good about my holiday, but so odd about other things! Strange.

• Options
    Liiya wrote:
    I am literally out of the country that day"

ooh.

Where are you going?

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Silmaril wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

ooh.

Where are you going?

DISNEYWORLD FLORIDA.

• Options
    Liiya wrote:
    Its so strange, she has been surprisingly really good about my holiday, but so odd about other things! Strange.

She's maybe becoming a bit more self-aware in how she comes across to other people (namely how she takes a certain employee for granted)

Alternatively? Niceness osmosis.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Liiya wrote:
    Silmaril wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

ooh.

Where are you going?

DISNEYWORLD FLORIDA.

YAY!!!

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

She's maybe becoming a bit more self-aware in how she comes across to other people (namely how she takes a certain employee for granted)

Alternatively? Niceness osmosis.

Pretty much - a bit baffling!

• Options
    Liiya wrote:
    Silmaril wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

ooh.

Where are you going?

DISNEYWORLD FLORIDA.

Oh dang, you should let me know when. Sheri too. We can totes get you in for free and a bunch of other perks

• Options
    Javen wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    Silmaril wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

ooh.

Where are you going?

DISNEYWORLD FLORIDA.

Oh dang, you should let me know when. Sheri too. We can totes get you in for free and a bunch of other perks

I'm going with my sister and her bf so we've already booked park tickets. But I would love to say hello to you and Sheri :)

• Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    ppfft, florida.

• Options
    I bet that sounds so un-exotic now you live in Cali!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    ppfft, florida.

You're just upset they mistook you for the giant from Mickey and the Bean Stalk.

• Options
    Speaking of sunny Cali (...is it even sunny there right now?) you ought to fire up Skype, V! I have to go to sleep soon but we need to chat already :)

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.