As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Veretas wrote: »
    So in a week some guys from some obscure website called "Penny Arcade" are coming to my place of work and fight a bunch of dudes in some weird game called 'Ping pong'

Basically

@Khoo

I'm callin' you out!

You need to post updates here.

And call out @Robert Khoo instead of @Khoo so he picks up the phone.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Oh yeah

Well there we go then.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    We'll see how things go. Team's been training hard today.

Some guy.
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Veretas wrote: »
    So in a week some guys from some obscure website called "Penny Arcade" are coming to my place of work and fight a bunch of dudes in some weird game called 'Ping pong'

Basically

@Khoo

I'm callin' you out!

You need to post updates here.

Tweet each call out and insult to each other's mothers.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Northern California, you say?...

No! My vermiculture!

He was the East Coast crew's first

We popped his forum meeting cherry

I remind Yukira of that fairly regularly.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    spono wrote: »
    I'm starting to get comfortable in my new job (relatively new -- I've been there since the start of this year)

it still weirds me out that I'm working as a contractor though

apparently all engineers are incompetent and all subcontractors are crooks

heh. Welcome to graphic design. (this is a joke)

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    What are current CS graduates using in the way of programming languages? I got my CS degree nine years ago but have never actually put it into use for any job yet, and am wondering what the best way to get up to speed is.

I use .NET, you can download Express versions from Microsoft for free. The other big competitor is still Java.

• Options
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm and @Smart Hero

My first recommendation for the very basics is W3 Schools SQL Tutorials. They cover a lot of the basics.

To mess around with database queries and stuff, you can get SQL Server Express from Microsoft for free here.

Another thing to consider is what kind of database you're going to be querying. Although SQL is SQL, things can change whether you're using a SQL Server database or an Oracle one. We use both at my current client.

Both of you feel free to ask me any database-related questions. I'm not a certified DBA or anything, but I do a lot of database work, especially SQL Server related.

• Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    So, I'd like some input from more experienced folks here. I got an interview rather easily that sounds too good to be true.

It's this company. They want to make me a trainee manager, and will pay me during training.

Their website is mostly a lot of meaningless buzz words that say next to nothing about what they do. In an email they sent to let me "familiarize myself with just a few of their clients", two of the six were out of service. The first Google result after the company name is one that claims they are a scam. Looking up the interview location, it's not in their building, but what appears to be a shack on the side of the freeway.

My intuition tells me that if this is not hella shady, they are at least withholding information. But the desperate part of me REALLY wants the full-time work offered.

TL;DR: What are the odds this is a pyramid scheme?

Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    So, I'd like some input from more experienced folks here. I got an interview rather easily that sounds too good to be true.

It's this company. They want to make me a trainee manager, and will pay me during training.

Their website is mostly a lot of meaningless buzz words that say next to nothing about what they do. In an email they sent to let me "familiarize myself with just a few of their clients", two of the six were out of service. The first Google result after the company name is one that claims they are a scam. Looking up the interview location, it's not in their building, but what appears to be a shack on the side of the freeway.

My intuition tells me that if this is not hella shady, they are at least withholding information. But the desperate part of me REALLY wants the full-time work offered.

It's a scam.

Yes you could probably make a bit of money up front, but in order to continue making money you need to

a) not have a soul

b) have some kind of dark pact with satan

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    Well Satan best get in line. I've promised my soul to a host of other terrifying beings. Also, a lady.

Yeah, I figured. Oh well, there will be others.

Tentaclemon.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote:

My first recommendation for the very basics is W3 Schools SQL Tutorials. They cover a lot of the basics.

To mess around with database queries and stuff, you can get SQL Server Express from Microsoft for free here.

Another thing to consider is what kind of database you're going to be querying. Although SQL is SQL, things can change whether you're using a SQL Server database or an Oracle one. We use both at my current client.

Both of you feel free to ask me any database-related questions. I'm not a certified DBA or anything, but I do a lot of database work, especially SQL Server related.

Cool thanks. I've done the basic SELECT, FROM, JOIN, yadda yadda with some conditionals and whatnot, but could use more practice.

I think this new database is an Oracle one, so I guess need to get Oracle SQL Developer.

poo
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    JoeUser wrote: »
    What are current CS graduates using in the way of programming languages? I got my CS degree nine years ago but have never actually put it into use for any job yet, and am wondering what the best way to get up to speed is.

I use .NET, you can download Express versions from Microsoft for free. The other big competitor is still Java.

C# and/or Java are solid.
    I mainly use PHP. Some ruby and a bit of python with the occasional attempt to read perl... but that's mostly cause I do more web stuff

Rescheduled interview is today. Little nervous but feeling alright.

skettios on
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »

It's a scam.

Yes you could probably make a bit of money up front, but in order to continue making money you need to

a) not have a soul

b) have some kind of dark pact with satan

Yea, I can't even figure out what the fuck it is they do by reading the site.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    skettios wrote:

I mainly use PHP. Some ruby and a bit of python with the occasional attempt to read perl... but that's mostly cause I do more web stuff

apparently if you want to work in a web tech startup in nyc, learn ruby and ruby on rails because apparently that's the trendy thing, according to my friends who work at startups here

poo
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    skettios wrote:

apparently if you want to work in a web tech startup in nyc, learn ruby and ruby on rails because apparently that's the trendy thing, according to my friends who work at startups here

Indeed! This is true over in Seattle too
    I know a bit of rails, but not a whole bunch. Got my dev setup at home more or less ready for me to start practicing and learning more on my own.

skettios on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    the hot shit used to be Erlang, I remember knowing Erlang used to make your resume glow in the dark.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    I can open MS Word.

Beat that.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Stale wrote: »
    the hot shit used to be Erlang, I remember knowing Erlang used to make your resume glow in the dark.

I still prefer just regular sweet tea.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I know what the file extensions are for each of the Microsoft Office products so I know which program I need before I click on it. HA!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote:
    I can open MS Word.

Beat that.

pft, MS Word.

I can open Wordpad. 8-)

• Options
    So funnily enough, within a minute of posting about that sketchy shit, I got a callback for a followup interview at a legit workplace.

I immediately went and cancelled my appointment with the other dudes. Satan was inconsolable.

Tentaclemon.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Oh hey thanks, I've been meaning to start dabbling in stuff like this.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Thursday's phone interview has somehow led into an interview interview, but for a different position that I don't really like nearly as much

Drat it all. Well, I guess it's worth a shot. Beggars can't be choosers and all

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I just finished creating print queues for two new printers for our parts and repair system.

It's always fun pasting in a few lines and watching a ton of information pass by.

If I make a mistake, I can hose the entire system.

Always fun!

• Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    So, my new employer are paying for me to go on a Magento training course. In Brussels.

Score!

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Deicist wrote: »
    So, my new employer are paying for me to go on a Magento training course. In Brussels.

Score!
    I originally read that as 'Magneto'.
    I guess that is cool as well..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Awesome! Will you have to be prejudiced against normal people when they give you superpowers?

...wait, nevermind.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    I did the same.

Began to wonder if the helmet and cape was going to be included in the training kit.

• Options
    Wunderbar!

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Nobody without a Masters degree and a beard should ever write SQL directly in 2012

There are way way way way better options for making databases do stuff

Jasconius on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I did the same.

Began to wonder if the helmet and cape was going to be included in the training kit.

I'm more interested in the possibility of a hot shape shifting female assistant.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Magneto training course:

1) be Jewish in Germany during WWII
    2) discover you have awesome superpowers
    3) get a sick-ass cape and helmet

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Magneto training course:

1) be Jewish in Germany during WWII
    2) discover you have awesome superpowers
    3) get a sick-ass cape and helmet

Step 2a) Witness Kevin Bacon shooting your mother

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    I did the same.

I'm more interested in the possibility of a hot shape shifting female assistant.

Where do I apply?

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

As soon as you look like Rebecca Romijn or Jennifer Lawrence, please apply in person at Hunter's Penis Inc.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote:

Thanks @JoeUser!

Ours is a SQL Server db. I've monkied around in SQL Management Studio 2008 and know how to do a couple things, but complex joins and updates and stuff are where I'm wanting to learn more about. Mostly so I can learn to use things like SQL Server Reporting Services and Crystal Reports to come up with some useful BI reporting and whatnot, which isn't immediately DB related, but I figure if I can get down the basics of coming up with sensible queries the reporting part will be easier.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Hunter Incorporated his Penis. For tax and liability reasons, I presume.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Soon in the job ads: Hunters Penis Inc. seeks Chief Operating Officer (:winky:)

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:

Thanks @JoeUser!

Ours is a SQL Server db. I've monkied around in SQL Management Studio 2008 and know how to do a couple things, but complex joins and updates and stuff are where I'm wanting to learn more about. Mostly so I can learn to use things like SQL Server Reporting Services and Crystal Reports to come up with some useful BI reporting and whatnot, which isn't immediately DB related, but I figure if I can get down the basics of coming up with sensible queries the reporting part will be easier.

I am a SQL Server Reporting Services ... well maybe not expert, but I have done a ton of stuff with it, if you have questions about that as well.

This discussion has been closed.