As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    With most of us that's probably a bit excessive, but yet again Dan is the exception that proves the rule

Unless he finally got his phylactery straightened out, and now that he's a true Lich things like facebook or interactions with lowly mortals is beneath him.

Liches love Farmville

Update Status: Sucking souls out of the living and just chilling in my crypt

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Bad day

Is there a way for you to reschedule the other interview, or is it too late for that?

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Aw yeah. Got to this interview 30 minutes early. Time to sit in the car and think about how much I don't want this job.

At least I might have a better prospect this afternoon.

• Options
    Lol, guy that referred me to the job is high as hell at work.

I guess it is a bakery after all...

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Daylight savings time sucks

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Daylight savings time sucks

yes

I was enjoying waking up to some sunlight

not anymore

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Goddamn I'm bored.

I hate the last couple weeks of a project after virtually all the work is done.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    This should be a pretty interesting week.

I'm expecting to hear back from the tourism gig from last week. It was left as me sending an email saying "sorry, there is no way that that salary is going to work...bump it by $10k because I'm awesome." I also received a text from my inside source saying out of the 15 people they interviewed I'm in the top 3. So, we'll see.

Also, after the pizza thing from last Friday I'm thinking I should be hearing from TG this week as well...hopefully with good news. or at least news that would advance me in the process.

Going to be a nerve wracking week, I'm thinking.

• Options
    OH!

Forgot to mention: My recruiter friend is looking for a new business development person for a job in the integrated marketing/advertising industry. She's having a hard time finding people in the area so it willing to look beyond.

If this is your or you know someone, please get in touch with me.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

I'm expecting to hear back from the tourism gig from last week. It was left as me sending an email saying "sorry, there is no way that that salary is going to work...bump it by $10k because I'm awesome." I also received a text from my inside source saying out of the 15 people they interviewed I'm in the top 3. So, we'll see.

Also, after the pizza thing from last Friday I'm thinking I should be hearing from TG this week as well...hopefully with good news. or at least news that would advance me in the process.

Drink bourbon!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Drink bourbon!

Use a flask!

• Options
    Wise suggestions gentlemen.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was fucking ready to smash a window at work today. I am 100% convinced that Texas, or at least the non-metro shitty areas, breed and encourage people to be abusive, lying pieces of shit, to take advantage of anyone with honest intents.

I should probably explain.

Every job I've worked here in Texas - EXCEPT FUCKING WAL-MART THROUGH SOME BACKWARDS-ASS IRONY - has been total shit and a disaster. So far I've retained a mindset that it has jack-all to do with the corporations behind the jobs I've worked for, and it's just a matter of the locals. Not just the grunt workers, but the management types. They are all shit humans for so many reasons. Everyone has the opinion that they're the hardest worker, or that they've been around for so long that they're entitled to slack off. Management types always want to zero-out expenses, including employee pay, so they understaff and underschedule, while increasing demands on employees. If business increases (we doubled business at my previous job year to year), none of the money goes to giving raises to the staff or hiring additional staff. It instead all goes into the pocket of someone up above, because they've never heard of treating employees right.

Despite all this shit, I've always had the attitude of coming into work on time, doing what I am meant to and more at the expense of not being social with workers if it slows me down, and always providing feedback or asking about additional tasks / ways to improve things we do on the job. This was all the shit I did in California at two different jobs that made the higher-ups want to put me into management. Out here, I've been asked twice for that - the first I nervously turned down, this was back in '07, and the second (my previous job) I turned down because it was NOT worth the demand increase. I was trying to pick my battles here in Texas. At any given job I've had where I'm new, I always give it my all and try to take as much initiative as possible. I'm always praised for it (without asking for it), but only one place rewarded me for it (Wal-Mart, by giving me a locked 40 hour schedule on the busiest days, as they said they needed me on those days) (then I blew it but that's a different story).

SO.

My new job. It's been starting out the same, but I'm still nervous. "You're doing really great, don't be nervous," "Wow you're good at this," "Oh you're Henry? I've been hearing a lot about you!" Wow okay, I guess I'm making my way in this place! The boss and everyone likes me. I'm recognizing who has what intent on the job (few people try to do anything extra, many think they do 'too much' despite how much down-time there is on the job), but I keep my peace on shit like that.

I go in today, with a new schedule posting. My hours are cut. And not like, a few hours. I mean more than half. I work -15- hours this upcoming week. I could not believe it. And my boss refused to comment on it. Mind you, this was after she urged me to be available for a specific time of day all week as she 'needed' me at the store as much as possible when I had an interview for another job (I was planning on working two), and I lost out on a job because I said I had tight availability. So she made me miss out on a job so that she can screw me over. I TRUSTED her. I am the fucking fool. I was seeing red all day on the job. I couldn't fucking believe it.

SOMEONE has lied to me, that or both people lied to me - either my boss has been lying about my performance (which I already told her when I started, I can take criticism, the only way I'll improve is to be corrected or urged to do things differently / faster), OR the woman hiring for this city lied to me about every position available being 35+ hours a week.

sup dogg. we're gonna have a position opening soon, you want me to let you know?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Man, come on interview guy; don't tell me that you'd really like to bring me in during the 20% of your operating hours I said I wasn't available.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    gozip

poo
  • Options
    Gozip the Destructor

• Options
    Gozip v. Godzilla: Revenge of Amish Country

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the UK overhauled their Working Holiday Visa scheme since I went, but back then it came with a raft of restrictions that basically meant that unless you want to be an itinerant backpacker with no intention of furthering your career it was essentially worthless.

Fortunately, being an itinerant backpacker with no intention of furthering my career was exactly what I aspired to be when I was 21. Still do, in fact.

Well this sounds like a fantastic solution to my desire to someday spend some time in the UK.
    While it's fairly easy for a Canadian or Australian or New Zealander to get a UK working visa, it's nigh on impossible for a US citizen to do so (this works both ways).

• Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So working in a grocery store isn't as terrible as I thought it would be. My lower back and everything below it are screaming in protest after not being used to standing for 8 hours, though.

Also, it's interesting to see the things people buy. I've seen:

A large man purchase a single cup of yogurt - and a dozen 4-packs of paper towel rolls.
    A very glum-looking woman with year old twins bringing a pregnancy test to the register.
    An anime nerd being berated by his racist mother for his love of "ch--- books."
    A woman I'm fairly certain was a hooker buying a bag of cat food with a $100 bill.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    So working in a grocery store isn't as terrible as I thought it would be. My lower back and everything below it are screaming in protest after not being used to standing for 8 hours, though.

Also, it's interesting to see the things people buy. I've seen:

A large man purchase a single cup of yogurt - and a dozen 4-packs of paper towel rolls.
    A very glum-looking woman with year old twins bringing a pregnancy test to the register.
    An anime nerd being berated by his racist mother for his love of "ch--- books."
    A woman I'm fairly certain was a hooker buying a bag of cat food with a $100 bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeCRuOi9990

• Options
    Hahaha, oh man

I'm sure we've all been there, though (with the weird shopping lists, I mean!)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    *my shit*

sup dogg. we're gonna have a position opening soon, you want me to let you know?

Uh, what's the job?
    Bad day

Is there a way for you to reschedule the other interview, or is it too late for that?

It's too late. I really resent this shit.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The recruiter also hasn't managed to get hold of this company. So they've gone for some kind of media blackout. To me, that really does sound like they are waiting to hear if another candidate accepts or rejects before getting to me.
    Janson wrote: »
    Hahaha, oh man

Johnnies and ice-cream. I'm not sure that three spotty 17 year olds could have got such looks from the lady at the checkout.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    *my shit*

Uh, what's the job?
    Bad day

It's too late. I really resent this shit.

IT support for the hospital, homie

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Hahaha, oh man

Johnnies and ice-cream. I'm not sure that three spotty 17 year olds could have got such looks from the lady at the checkout.

8 bottles of bleach, some rubber gloves, plastic sheeting and a cucumber with the words "we're having a party" didn't even get so much of a second-look from a cashier.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't have my certifications in order, Mysst.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    As I mentioned I put an application in to a defence R&D place months and months ago and then on Friday got an email saying I was invited to interview. The interview was all day on Thursday and I had to respond by 5pm today. So they take four months, I get two days to reply and assemble reams of information for their security checks. Whatever. Turns out I'm not available then (it would take my most of Wednesday and Friday too to get there and I've got other interviews in that time), so I email back asking to reschedule and suggesting that a phone interview might make more sense as a first step.

I just got a very snippy email that Thursday is the day that the interview is on and they will inform the board that I won't be attending. I don't like that British defence research is apparently carried out by people who happen to be free on a random day and can track down their original birth certificate and two character witnesses in a couple of days. I'd prefer if it was more of a meritocracy than that. Oh well.
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Hahaha, oh man

8 bottles of bleach, some rubber gloves, plastic sheeting and a cucumber with the words "we're having a party" didn't even get so much of a second-look from a cashier.

You need to go to more judgemental supermarkets.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The coffee at my work is so bad. I should bring in a french press or something

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    taking my very first sick day, and feeling kind of guilty about it. I've been there almost a year, though, and in my defense nothing solid has come out of my butt in 3 days

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »
    taking my very first sick day, and feeling kind of guilty about it. I've been there almost a year, though, and in my defense nothing solid has come out of my butt in 3 days

No thats totally acceptable. If your going to spend more time in the restroom than at your desk/work area then just stay home. Also god forbid you have to lift anything.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    BOOM, MOTHER FUCKER!
    We have recovered from our pizza coma and are ready to talk about your next challenge: How to get to TG for an interview on Wednesday 3/14 (yes, Pi Day) by 10:45am ET. You would need to plan on sticking around until at least 12:30pm that afternoon.

Think you're up for it? I know this is short notice considering your location, but the stars happened to align that day.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Nice!

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    BOOM, MOTHER FUCKER!
    We have recovered from our pizza coma and are ready to talk about your next challenge: How to get to ThinkGeek for an interview on Wednesday 3/14 (yes, Pi Day) by 10:45am ET. You would need to plan on sticking around until at least 12:30pm that afternoon.

Think you're up for it? I know this is short notice considering your location, but the stars happened to align that day.

:D

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Go zip go!

• Options
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Bring them pie

• Options
    Yay!

Where is ThinkGeek anyway?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    DUDE

get me a tauntaun sleeping bag

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    The coffee at my work is so bad. I should bring in a french press or something

this is what I did and it's worked out pretty okay so far

• Options
    BOOM, MOTHER FUCKER!
    We have recovered from our pizza coma and are ready to talk about your next challenge: How to get to ThinkGeek for an interview on Wednesday 3/14 (yes, Pi Day) by 10:45am ET. You would need to plan on sticking around until at least 12:30pm that afternoon.

YES

This discussion has been closed.