As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Switching Phones

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
The other day, my parents surprised me with a new phone. It's really a moderate downgrade, and I wasn't sure I wanted to go for it. However, my trusty old phone is literally falling apart from all the things I put it through, and since I intend on switching to a different plan/provider once I get a steady job, I figured why not.

I know this is a newb question, but....what do I do to import my number and customer information and whatnot to this new phone?

Also, will my old phone still work to the extent that I'll be able to pull all my pictures, texts, and whatnot off of it at a later point?

HadjiQuest on

• Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The other day, my parents surprised me with a new phone. It's really a moderate downgrade, and I wasn't sure I wanted to go for it. However, my trusty old phone is literally falling apart from all the things I put it through, and since I intend on switching to a different plan/provider once I get a steady job, I figured why not.

I know this is a newb question, but....what do I do to import my number and customer information and whatnot to this new phone?

Also, will my old phone still work to the extent that I'll be able to pull all my pictures, texts, and whatnot off of it at a later point?

So many of these questions depend on your phone model(s) which you haven't provided.

Bottom line is this, if your phones use SIM cards then you need to make sure your contacts (address book, phone numbers, whatever you wanna call it) are stored on your SIM card and not the phones internal memory. Otherwise you'll have to input them all again which can be a pain.

As for transfering pictures and other crap, that'll probably need to be moved to a computer with the use of a data cable (dont' know if your phone has bluetooth, if you have a laptop with bluetooth that makes things very simple) and then transfered to your new phone in a similar manner.

So basically anything but your phone numbers is a bitch and a half, and if your phones don't use SIM cards than you're really up the crick. If your phone doesn't use SIM cards than there isn't any way to "transfer" your account data to the new phone without actually taking it to one of your wireless service providers stores and having them do it. They might charge you for this, no idea.

edit:

And to address your last question, if it's a phone that uses a SIM card then no, it will basically be a brick after you put the SIM in the new phone. Every phone I've ever encountered (several manufacturers; Nokia, Motorola, and Samsung) will present you with the message "Please insert a SIM card" when you turn on the phone without one and will go no further. So if you want to get stuff off of it do that first.

edit2:

And unless I didn't make it clear enough, if your phone uses a SIM card all your customer data is stored on that automatically. It's the phone numbers that might not be. Some phones default to saving them on the SIM, others to their own internal memory. If it's the latter going into "Edit" or something similar on the entries will probably show you where it is stored and allow you to switch it to the other if need be.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Both phones have SIM cards, and they're both on T-Mobile's prepaid plan.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Both phones have SIM cards, and they're both on T-Mobile's prepaid plan.

You should be able to just pull the SIM out of the new one and set it aside (for emergencies, maybe) and put the old SIM in the new phone.

But like Meatlover said, the address book may or may not be on the SIM card. SIMs usually hold about 100 phone numbers, I myself managed to lose around 500 numbers off my cell once (I used my phone as my address book and day planner for work).

Ruckus on