Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I am going to be making a scarf in the next few days, wish me luck, for I've never done it before.

Good luck! I made a Christmas coffee cup cosy

xmas_cosy_2_medium2.jpg

I am stubbornly using it until January 6th.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote:
    Liiya I love that second one

@Sheri Thank you! I love your blanket, it looks so cosy.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Sheri lemme make a pixel design and you make a blanket and then auction it off for solid saints

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Come now, surely more people have crafted things

Any metal workers

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    does painting minis count? cause I'm getting into that

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Painting minis is fun times and I suck at it so badly.

• Options
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I took a ceramics class and made some stuff. Most of it is pretty crappy because it was my first time working with clay. I was kind of fond of these two:

amphora.png
    A Greek-style amphora (with the figures doing modern things like using a camera and playing video games)

turtle.png
    And a turtle.

But then at the end of the course, we glaze-fired them and they turned out awful! I'm not sure if my instructor made a mistake with the kiln or if it was something I did wrong with the slip, but the colours ran and it looks like garbage, especially the vase. It has black streaks running down over it. I'm pretty disappointed.

amphoraglazed.png
    turtleglazed.png

Another crafty thing I did recently was make trading cards about me. I made twelve of them in total, some better than others.

card1.pngcard2.pngcard3.pngcard4.png

They were made by cutting and gluing paper. The paper I used was mostly Korean hanji paper, but also some regular origami paper. The sweet potato one is my favourite.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    They're beautiful, Taya!

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    Wanna meet that turtle.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Thank you!

I had to trade most of them away to classmates (hence "trading" cards) but I got to keep the taekwondo card and one other due to absent students.

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be writing another novel over the next year with a few great people as advisors

also I got one of my novels being examined by a person right now, and it is pretty exciting that this person is reading it

also I'm getting ready to write a 120-page critical paper

also I am finishing a story for submission to my old internship over the next week and a half

and apparently writing a detective novel with two guys whose work I enjoy

so that's exciting

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    WARNING, I'M GONNA PIMP THE SHIT OUT OF MY BAND REAL QUICK.

So, I'm, like, a musician... it's pretty cool. 8-) I guess. I'm the singer in this pretty sweet band, we're pretty underground though so you might not have heard of us.

http://www.facebook.com/ItGetsWorseSka

http://www.reverbnation.com/itgetsworseska

We're opening for Afroman in March, and our band is actually blowing the fuck up. Like, it's pretty crazy.

In all seriousness though, if you like ska or punk, check us out.

Also, I do ceramics, but I haven't been able to in a while. :( I'm thinking about building a kiln out at my house in my garage, but I'm a little scared of the concept of a home-built kiln to be honest.

Really digging the song "Beer." Also I love beer, so it's like a double thing for me.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    also I'm gonna repost the sweet painting a friend made for me

6281246440_f9a1a8ebfb_z.jpg
    6280728677_f7dc3357b0_z.jpg

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    I make shit out of chainmail

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    I made my family's christmas stocking this year. Guys, stockings are so easy.

I did discover, though, that my sewing machine HATES clear nylon thread.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Knob wrote: »

Ohmygod that's tedious. I used to make bracelets out of fake chainmail (just jewelry jump rings) and it was a BITCH. I admire you.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    I also have a band

We are way better and more handsome than metz's band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKL1fftoOJ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVNrd1qd47g

• Options
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Knob wrote: »

Ohmygod that's tedious. I used to make bracelets out of fake chainmail (just jewelry jump rings) and it was a BITCH. I admire you.

Once you get the hang of it and have the right tools, its a lot like crocheting

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Knob I remember listening to one of your band's songs before.

It was pretty great.

Yup really good.

Where can I get your CD?

Uriel on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    I'm working on a secret project that involves the words "life-size" "Portal 2" and "high-fives" that will be at AB and AB's table at PAX East (assuming there is one) which will tie nicely with another project that another department is doing to connect the Hynes and the BCC.

• Options
    Last month you could get both our albums on amazon, napster, or itunes

But I paid out the ass to get them listed, and through the whole year we sold 1 album so I didn't renew

But I can probably just send you some mp3s or if you want actual physical cds, ill do both for ten buxx via paypal

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Knob wrote:

But I paid out the ass to get them listed, and through the whole year we sold 1 album so I didn't renew

But I can probably just send you some mp3s or if you want actual physical cds, ill do both for ten buxx via paypal
    I like physical copies.

I can paypal you ten bucks and pm you my address sometime next week? That cool?

Uriel on
  • Options
    Uriel wrote:
    Knob wrote:

I like physical copies.

Knobbonk at gmail is my paypal info, put your address in the comments when you send payment so it stays all together

• Options
    Knob wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    Knob wrote:

I like physical copies.

Knobbonk at gmail is my paypal info, put your address in the comments when you send payment so it stays all together

Gotcha.

:)

• Options
    I come a family of crafters and bakers. My mother is kind of an all-or-none woman who kind of has this philosophy that it's either perfect or garbage. Unfortunately she passed this attitude down to her children, so often times I get so frustrated when my first few attempts at something turn out looking not so great (or just don't turn out at all) that I quickly abandon new passions and hobbies.

I need to quit doing that and just make ugly crafts and be okay with it.

You people and your beautiful crafts make me want to practice something until I'm good at it.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    Knob, your music makes me want to punch people and act like a fool.

tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    That means it's working.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Oh yeah, my wife makes absolutely stunning collages. Sadly, these pictures just don't do them justice.
    Natasha-Lewandrowski_31.jpg
    Natasha-Lewandrowski_20.jpg
    Natasha-Lewandrowski_40.jpg
    Natasha-Lewandrowski_36.jpg
    Natasha-Lewandrowski_39.jpg

tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh wait, I actually had a question for crafty people!

I just got a sweet new waterproof messenger bag, and I want to attach some reflective material (since the bag is all black).

What would be the best way to go about this? Is there a fabric glue out there that will reliably adhere polyester to what the bag maker's website calls 1000d Cordura?

I am a bit nervous about having anything sewn on and defeating the waterproofing. I know I could take it to an alterations place, but they may tear up all that awesome stitch work that I paid for in the first place.

HALP.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    liquid nails or jb weld

i would say

• Options
    Tonkka wrote:
    Oh wait, I actually had a question for crafty people!

I just got a sweet new waterproof messenger bag, and I want to attach some reflective material (since the bag is all black).

What would be the best way to go about this? Is there a fabric glue out there that will reliably adhere polyester to what the bag maker's website calls 1000d Cordura?

I am a bit nervous about having anything sewn on and defeating the waterproofing. I know I could take it to an alterations place, but they may tear up all that awesome stitch work that I paid for in the first place.

HALP.

Well, I'm not sure what "Cordura" is. I assume it's a type of synthetic fibre? Looking at the weave, it would probably be a bitch and a half to punch through that with a needle; I presume it's about the same thickness as a heavy duck canvas.

You may have better luck with glue.

tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    really if you need two things to stick together

jb weld

• Options
    Someone teach me how to paint miniatures.

• Options
    Knobulon knows what he's talkin' about here.

JB weld will hold anything together.

tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Yeah there's also the interior vinyl to get through.

JB Weld it is!

Also, Callius those collages are fucking fantastic. Does she use anything more insidious than an X-Acto blade to cut stuff out? I ask because my coworker was asking me just a few hours ago about the very same thing, and I couldn't come up with a better alternative than a sharp X-Acto blade.

• Options
    Uriel wrote:

BOOM

• Options
    Tonkka wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

BOOM
    oh man sweet.

This discussion has been closed.