As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    4E5Sg2R.jpg

if you wear the whole set you do 15 extra fire damage and can talk to trees

Manny that bracelet is giving me a fierce desire to make a torc

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    alternatively, I set up a lucrative sideline in penis cozies.

I am intrigued by the idea of putting my penis into an original Tynic.

What sort of prices are we talking here?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Look as long as you promise not to teach the robots how to knit, you can do whatever you want.

No no no, teach the robot to knit and then give me one

Then I don't have a SABLE problem!!!

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    4E5Sg2R.jpg

if you wear the whole set you do 15 extra fire damage and can talk to trees

Manny that bracelet is giving me a fierce desire to make a torc

make a torc! and post it on here so's i can see it!

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I love torcs.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    i don't have a photo right now, but we totally made a torc a couple months back out of some heavy-gauge wire an electrician buddy traded me for a guitar pedal i built. i been meaning to go back to that, i have an Idea for it

• Options
    xYiuvsB.jpg

this torc right here

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    alarmingly cheap!

Pfft, don't sell yourself short! As for your customer's penises (penii?), however...

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    @Typhoid Manny

I thought you should know that my students ADORE the Hermes wings.

• Options
    that is awesome, thank you for letting me know! it's cool as hell that folks are digging those

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Alright, here are a few pictures of the process and I'm going to be doing prep tomorrow and then the bismuth pour Monday afternoon. Pictures of either success or hospital will be posted then.

I apparently didn't take any pictures of melting wax into the silicon mold I have. Or the results of that.
    I take those and put them in a bread pan, then pour cement on top. Here is the result of that portion.
    This is the cement mold. I'm sort of worried about the air bubbles that exist along the outside, just more of an indicator of what may be inside against the wax. We will see that tomorrow as I melt the crap out of that wax tomorrow. I guess I wasn't as on top of vibrating the mold, which I know better for next time. Honestly I have like 40 pounds of construction grout that seemed to go awesome comparatively.
    n68IHeg.jpg

The construction grout:
    vs7lwdX.jpg
    I'm pretty sure I will have at least 3 to mess with for Monday, but I will know for sure tomorrow. I have to melt out the wax with a heat gun, then possibly torch the concrete to make sure its all gone/evaporated. I may bake the molds a bit before we pour bismuth in to kind of have it hotter, which I think will slow the cooling of bismuth down a bit.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    man i cannot wait to see how this turns out. definitely don't drag your feet on that update!

here's what i did today

shRi6WK.jpg

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Look as long as you promise not to teach the robots how to knit, you can do whatever you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTroGtEch-E

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I ordered my xmas cards today. BUT i'm leaving the country next weekend, and I wanted to give a few to people in person during the week, so I couldn't go with my usual printer since they only promise a 7-10 day turnaround. So I had to find another printer with faster delivery times who also looked reliable AND would print in the card size I wanted.

I found one, and weirdly it was cheaper than basically everywhere else, even with larger card sizes and getting couriered 2-day delivery. So if the quality is good I'll go with them in the future. But sorting through them all and checking prices and delivery options and every place has a different idea of how to set up a print template ... it took me almost two hours, which was totes fucked up.

• Options
    So today I sanded down the boards for the aluminum project and messed with the keda dyes I had ordered a week ago for this project. Color turns out kind of interesting. Not sure how it will finish out though, and not sure how super happy I am with results. I took pictures though! On my potato cell phone, so it isn't the greatest of quality.
    I mixed the black with a slight bit of blue and let it sit on the boards for a few minutes.
    This picture is 2 different types of pine.
    zN6QDve.jpg

This is that same mix with poplar.
    uPvurmk.jpg

Blue mix. Both pines again.
    YhE44QT.jpg

Poplar in back, pine at same color blue.
    SKEtTHi.jpg

Other images here. The top two or 3 images not pictured here was me mixing the two dye mixes together and letting it set for about 1 minute in the sections that weren't done. Also I had another section of poplar I put the blackblue/blue mix on. I don't think I like it too much. The pictures seems to look a bit better than the actual boards, as the color is a little less overpowering on the pictures for whatever reason. I may try and use less blue dye and do a couple of short light coats to let it build.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This is a scarf I am making for the CP charity sale/auction at the PAX South bar crawl.

Inspired by the House Stark banner and furs.
    e43vwdw3aymy.jpg

It's a really simple pattern, but getting such different yarns to match weights isn't something I'm used to doing. It's been a learning experience, and I think given me a lot of confidence for making that sort of adjustment on future projects, because sometimes the exact color you want just isn't available in a size that matches the other exact color you want.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    That looks like it's going to come out looking really cool. The green yarn is gorgeous.

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    More mural progress.

I'm not sure what I am going to do about the line work after all of the painting is done. Has anyone used paint pens/markers before? I don't trust my hand for making crisp, decisive outlines with a brush.

2s93tba.jpg

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I've used them before, (possibly that brand, actually) but in grade school. And there's a reason for that.

Most paint markers have to be shook before they're used to properly mix the paint. Then, every time you want to "load" up the marker tip with paint, you have to press the tip down a few times. If you do it too much, the tip gets flooded, and you might wind up with a big goop of paint. Then, and this may not be the case for all paint markers, but I've found the tips "dry out" or run out of paint as you go, forcing you to reload the tip over and over again. Sometimes, while you're shaking the pen, paint splatters everywhere, or gets all over the inside of the cap.

I find that really annoying. Maybe the markers I used were crappy, or they've become less irritating to use since I last had to work with them. But I still wouldn't recommend paint pens.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    if you must use paint pens I strongly recommend something more like KRINK.
    http://shop.krink.com/collections/products/products/k-80-permanent-paint-stick is one of the neater products they have, but they also have a bunch of traditional paint pens as well

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Their style of paint markers also work FAR better than the kind of stuff you get from Office Depot, too.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Alexandier wrote: »
    More mural progress.

I'm not sure what I am going to do about the line work after all of the painting is done. Has anyone used paint pens/markers before? I don't trust my hand for making crisp, decisive outlines with a brush.

2s93tba.jpg

We used Sharpie for the murals in my nephew's room. So far, so good.

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Shaprie's was my first through, but my friend's wife thought paint pens would be better.

Sounds like that will be a better option, always go with the gut!

• Options
    AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I've been super busy lately with this project. Everyone told me what they liked and here's what I made for our Secret Santa at work this year.
    v3gq89jy7sv4.jpg
    pkgj33dq0hdk.jpg
    z96tnzxnzwfr.jpg
    v6o5xwm5xbq4.jpg
    1s75p37zrw82.jpg
    7phgmyvdue18.jpg
    10556381_10203878630898583_1735237473361755628_n.jpg?oh=fa75df5c1cfb975d4efb9598811cf39d&oe=550C9BD6
    10857731_10203878729821056_3377003477405501954_n.jpg?oh=547ba45c30c75070fda8295cc3796d29&oe=54FCE03C&__gda__=1429860394_f3599b512469b227e1cb4538a7910599

AngiKate on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh my god. That minecraft one is amazing.

Is that felt sewed on and re orientated?

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh my god. That minecraft one is amazing.

Is that felt sewed on and re orientated?

Thanks! ^_^

The base material is felt, but the design is digitized and embroidered by me. I found the picture online and it was so awesome I had to use it for my co-worker who likes minecraft. Even used the Minecraft font for the name.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Did you hand embroider all those?!?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    one awesome won't do it.

those are all incredible!

• Options
    Did you hand embroider all those?!?

No no no no no. If I was trying to make all of those by hand, I'd still be working on the first one! ;) I have an embroidery machine and I can create my own embroidery patterns through my computer.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    one awesome won't do it.

those are all incredible!

Thanks! ^_^

• Options
    Ok that's what I thought and then later I got confused.

Still impressive though!

I should take a picture of the hand embroidered stocking my Mom made for me when I was like 12. It's really detailed and it's awesome.

• Options
    Hand embroidery takes a really fucking long time. Machines you can buy for fairly reasonable prices these days cut that time WAY down, but that is still an awesome idea, executed very well. Nice work!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ahhhthat harry potter one. aaahhh i loves it

• Options
    edited December 2014
    So...Monday didn't happen, which got pushed to Tuesday, but the guy who was helping me was sick.
    So we gave it a couple goes yesterday.
    First attempt we waited too long to pour out, and we ended up with a solid chunk.
    Second attempt and third attempt are pictured. I will remelt the bismuth out and then give it another go, but for whatever reason, it isn't working like it had in the past:

Sorry for potato quality phone camera.
    Second attempt had a larger crystal that remained and everything else was a smoothish surface:
    SgsTIfM.jpg
    ooWmrjq.jpg

Third attempt was also smooth:
    oFncuKz.jpg
    Hpj4YHu.jpg

Edit: I think I'm not waiting long enough for the crystals to form. Also I want to reduce the amount of shaking as I pick up and pour the excess molten bismuth out, so I'm getting a thing and then giving it at least another go today, if not 2.

Radiation on
  • Options
    My sword necklace from @Typhoid Manny‌ came today. I can honestly say the pictures do not do it justice. It's beautiful. It's going to go with my outfit for the PAX South bar crawl, along with the comb I got from him a couple months back.

House Stark!

• Options
    @ceres it's the coolest thing in the world to have someone tell you the stuff you're making is worthwhile, thank you!

if i may add a shameless plug here, if anyone else is interested in one let me know, we can still get it to you for xmas!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I am late but those stockings, holy shit

• Options
    Here's the stocking I mentioned before, Mom made this about 20-25 years ago.

Zabaz4a.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2014
    2 more pictures. The mold wasn't going to hold up much more so I broke the ones I'm not overly happy with just to kind of get some practice actually finishing details (polishing, cutting, etc).

Once again, sorry for potato quality.
    gl0Fu5V.jpg
    eZrWq9e.jpg

I realized now what I was doing wrong. I wasn't preheating the molds very well. Will make another go at that this weekend, maybe.

Radiation on
This discussion has been closed.