As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I really wish I had a drill press. As it stands, I think I'll get one of these.

Portable Drilling Guide

Good idea, just make sure you get a drill guide you can hold onto easily. When the drill bit heats up it's going to bind in the guide and could whip it out of your hands, so a cooling fluid (Beeswax and mineral oil are really solid, cheap options) and a strong grip are necessary to stop it from mucking with the precision of the tool.

I had planned on getting a large C clamp

Hmmmmm

Tough call. Large 6" clamps are $12. The tool is $25 + shipping

A cheap drill press is $76

Must.

Resist.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wish I knew how to use tools.

Making stuff seems like it'd be real rewarding.

You've got your driver's license now, you could use it to get to a community college and take some courses on stuff like metalworking, carpentry, basic masonry etc. etc.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    This isnt my artsy fart or crafty ass, but I bought this at a farmers market in Charlottetown. Its super adorable and I love it.

55d8j4l.jpg

lMt2itu.jpg

W2YGkqp.jpg

He also makes nerdy stuff like

47%2BDeku%2BLink%2Blarge%2Bcottonwood%2Bbark%2Bcarving%2BLegend%2Bof%2BZelda%2Bfanart.JPG

And

11%2BLegend%2Bof%2BZelda%2Bchip%2Bcarved%2Btrinket%2Bbox%2Bby%2BAles.JPG

• Options
    That's awesome!

I also totally thought that said A. J. Penis

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    r2o38ctow6ci.jpg

I made a bear

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I might actually be able to do this!

also, I already had a guy offer to buy a guitar from me. I bought a couple cheap cigar boxes off him at a flea market. Didn't have the heart to tell him I hadn't made one yet much less one extra one to sell.

h3gdxlfv8fyt.jpg

amkdr0a27quu.jpg

tomorrow, I'm hoping to finish cutting the neck, finish cutting the head, and cut the holes for the cable/tone/volume. Wednesday, I'll add the fret board and nut and let it dry for a couple of days. String it, test it and if things go well, I'll sand it, stain it, and play it!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    My brother makes guitars. It's a fun, addictive thing to get into.

• Options
    Fretboard tomorrow I think

I need to drill out the tuning peg holes a bit more. I stripped one of them, though I think it'll be ok. I don't want to spend any more monies on this project lol

f6anffebtdwt.jpg

dmnaco2ezfq7.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

You've got your driver's license now, you could use it to get to a community college and take some courses on stuff like metalworking, carpentry, basic masonry etc. etc.

GED first. Then classes.

My maths are weak and puny still though.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I would absolutely love it if someone made me a guitar.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    rig secret satans!

edit: (I shouldn't say things like that until I've completed one and it's actually been played)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »

Just thinking about the materials plus labor hours in one makes my wallet shudder.

My electric cost me like 80 bucks shipped and I had to set it up myself (truss rod, intonation, even had to shim the nut at the headstock because the strings touched the first fret) it also weighs way to much and is made from the cheapest possible wood.

really though a nice handcrafted guitar would probably do wonders for motivating me to practice more.

• Options
    edited October 2015

Just thinking about the materials plus labor hours in one makes my wallet shudder.

My electric cost me like 80 bucks shipped and I had to set it up myself (truss rod, intonation, even had to shim the nut at the headstock because the strings touched the first fret) it also weighs way to much and is made from the cheapest possible wood.

really though a nice handcrafted guitar would probably do wonders for motivating me to practice more.

the materials for the one I'm making cost next to nothing .... but the tools ....

If this one works out well, I'm going to make several. It's really enjoyable. More so to me, than playing! I've got ideas for more. I've also got a bunch of people that are interested.

I'd say that just materials, I've spent around $50

Wood box
    3x3x4' poplar
    1/4"x3"x4' red oak fret board
    cheap prewired pickup
    bridge
    nut
    tuning pegs
    strings
    fret wire

that and a few odds and ends like wood glue (for attaching the fret board) and super glue (for the frets)

I also bought a few 0.50 cent bottles of paint to make a stain from

Also, the art I'm going to glue to the box after I get it all situated was $6

edit: for my next one, I'm going to grab a bunch of old tobacco stakes and mess around with making a neck out of them.

fake edit2: I kind of worry about using poplar for this guitar as it's relatively soft. I'm hoping the fact that it's one solid piece will keep it from bending over the years under the string tension

Xaquin on
  • Options
    How complicated is measuring and cutting a neck? It's like the most important part of playing a guitar so I imagine you have to get it just right.

Also are you putting in a truss rod or just a solid neck? I imagine installing a rod would be... Difficult and nerve wracking.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    There are like 800 things I would love to have on a guitar.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    How complicated is measuring and cutting a neck? It's like the most important part of playing a guitar so I imagine you have to get it just right.

Also are you putting in a truss rod or just a solid neck? I imagine installing a rod would be... Difficult and nerve wracking.

I took one look at truss rods and opted for a solid neck. The head, neck, and thru body are all one piece. Measuring the neck wasn't too bad. It's a (relatively) standard 18" with 1/4" extra for the nut. The bridge is set back 6" on the box so it's an even 24" from the back of the nut to the front of the bridge. The 12th fret is in the direct center at 12"

The toughest part was cutting the fret board. Measured down to the thousandth =P

Used a coping saw in a mitre box and it took forever.

This is before I cut it, but you get the idea
    m7en7k7qnlus.jpg

edit:
    There are like 800 things I would love to have on a guitar.

like what?

I'm down for ideas!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Fretboard inlays would be cool.

• Options
    Oh, Rancid stuff, Adventure Time stuff (possibly better on a ukulele or banjolele, can you imagine an AT-themed one of those?), Terry Pratchett stuff.. stuff I like. :P

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'd love to make you a guitar but I have no idea where to put the strings...

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    I WANT A BANJOLELE SO MUCH.

They are so fun and have a great sound.

That's looking great Xaquin. You planning on doing fretboard markers? And if so, you doing them on the edge too, or just down the middle? What shape or design?

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I used this website: http://www.monsterbass.nl/
    It was very helpful with the basics.

• Options
    I kinda want a bass. Those strings are so beefy. Makes you feel like a thunder god.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

yes lets learn that I am bad very bad at woodworking
    That was a fun class that I learned I was horrible at woodworking. I could not glue nail or do anything correct that whole class
    4 months of feeling dumb for 2 hours was not fun

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got a bass last year
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1383461596000_zps49860c4d.jpg

It was tossed into the crowd when the band said Fuck it we're out!
    It was very dirty

• Options
    Belruel wrote: »
    I WANT A BANJOLELE SO MUCH.

They are so fun and have a great sound.

That's looking great Xaquin. You planning on doing fretboard markers? And if so, you doing them on the edge too, or just down the middle? What shape or design?

I'd like to, but I'm also having reservations because I really really don't want to mess up the fretboard

If I do, I'll just do circles for this one and expand on others

• Options
    Oh, Rancid stuff, Adventure Time stuff (possibly better on a ukulele or banjolele, can you imagine an AT-themed one of those?), Terry Pratchett stuff.. stuff I like. :P

An AT guitar would be awesome!

Also rancid

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My Uncle (who is actually my Great Uncle) is a retired carpenter and has taken up experimenting with instruments. He has recently started making Uketars, which is a cross between a ukelele and a guitar. He was about 1/2 way through his latest prototype when I visited last, and it looked very interesting.

• Options
    So is it a small, six stringed guitar or a large, four stringed Ukulele?

• Options
    He's done some of both! And five strings, and seven strings.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    hDYekaD.jpg

this took a really long time

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Well yeah facial hair (like most body hair) only grows about 1/2 inch per month so I imagine that glorious facemane took several months at least.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    i have not shaved clean in more than a decade

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

An AT guitar would be awesome!

Also rancid

Either a red ax like Marceline's with an image of her from the show painted on it, or a banjo/banjolele themed for her.

You could do a PB synth, an Ice King/Simon drum set, a Jake viola that is actually Jake...

The moral of the story is that I adore how musical that show is, and how amazing that music is, and I want to commemorate those things.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    i have not shaved clean in more than a decade

It would take me twice that long to get a beard like yours

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I'm getting so close!

Fretboard needs to get cut, need to finish the head (just need to make a groove where the strings go to the nut), sand it, stain it, and apply the art I got to it

also, I need to pray it plays well

I plugged it into my amp and tapped the pickup with a screw driver .... IT MAKES NOISE!

r9g94xat3zkx.jpg

4u3vglpeaq7h.jpg

ti1k79pnzmto.jpg

I can taste the music!

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    @Typhoid Manny I had a quick and probably silly smithing question for you:

If a person were to have hunting knife used by their great-grandfather for some many years ... what would it take to have the steel hammered into a new blade? The blade itself is fine but the grip is ... uhhh ... it's got some rust along the whole length. I'm really not interested in anything super-complicated, I just want a piece of my great-grandad's steel in a knife that I can pass along, sort of an inherited hunk of metal that has stories to go with it. If I had my 'druthers about it, I think a twisted damascus effect would be pretty cool to pass along, sort of an old-with-the-new-effect, but that may be a bit expensive for the process, I dunno.

Keep in mind, this is a long term goal for me and not anything immediate, but I was curious since you are the SE++ smith around these parts.

• Options
    If the blade is ok, could you get a new handle put on?

• Options
    @Darth Waiter that'd totally be doable, though depending on how far gone it is you're looking at reducing its size, potentially significantly

most likely you wouldn't even really need to bother forging it back out, grinding is preferable to forging with hardened steel, because normalizing/heat treating/tempering is a big ol' pain in the ass

you got any photos?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    @Typhoid Manny I had a quick and probably silly smithing question for you:

If a person were to have hunting knife used by their great-grandfather for some many years ... what would it take to have the steel hammered into a new blade? The blade itself is fine but the grip is ... uhhh ... it's got some rust along the whole length. I'm really not interested in anything super-complicated, I just want a piece of my great-grandad's steel in a knife that I can pass along, sort of an inherited hunk of metal that has stories to go with it. If I had my 'druthers about it, I think a twisted damascus effect would be pretty cool to pass along, sort of an old-with-the-new-effect, but that may be a bit expensive for the process, I dunno.

Keep in mind, this is a long term goal for me and not anything immediate, but I was curious since you are the SE++ smith around these parts.

I don't know a whole lot about smithing, but I know that damascus is made by welding several bars of different types of steel together and then folding and twisting them and such. To get that effect with the knife would require welding more metal to it before reforging, as far as I know. You would then either need to cut away part of it or end up with a bigger knife when you're done.

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.