As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Poké] Voltage: A No, No, No Sort Of Thing

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, that'd be fine.

Being one Super Effective Move away from being downed is no state for a bodyguard to be in.

Edit: I should probably come up with some rules for having a character gain a new Trait that isn't GM fiat, too.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Alright, thanks, I must admit I set those traits up based on role-playing-yness rather than thinking about how they'd work in actual combat...

Anyhow as I promised a character post;

Catarine and Mitsuhide
    [Haughty 2] - [Noblewoman 4] & [Honorable 2] - [Protector 3]
    Volt: 0; Exp: 0

A host of impressive noises hail from the tower top and Catarine cautiously peers through the trapdoor just in time to see the large avian pokémon tumble from the parapet, pulling the lady Corbeau with it. Far too slow to reach her comrade in time Catarine rushes forwards regardless. Fortunately their academic chaperone is there in the nick of time, Catarine wracks her memories trying to recall if they'd been introduced but she can't match a name to his face.

Regardless now is not the time for niceties, as she moves to assist the tutor in his rescue attempt, calling down to Elise in the process; "See! I told you slaying a monster was your forté! 'Elise the Dragon-slayer,' has a pleasant ring don't you think?"

Although, as she reaches down to take Elises other arm it looks like the beast is not dead after all as it flees back from whence it came. "Well Elise the Dragon-scarer is still pretty impressive."

Helping to haul the armoured woman back up to relative safety Catarine glances across the town, ostensibly to check for wounded but also the view is rather lovely and she's still alive, plus more importantly her clothes didn't get ruined. In doing so however she spies a glint of light reflected from polished armour and gleaming weapons advancing on the former battlezone. "Looks like the cavalry are arriving, and rather splendid they look too, I do hope these are friends of yours and I'm not going to be expected to defend myself again..." Catarine voices to both of the ranking Malachite citizens alongside her.

At thye mention of 'defending herself' the Demaské locket buzzes hotly beneath her bodice, Mitsuhide tries to gather what thoughts he can in this disembodied state but the foremost on his mind is that of failure.

• Options
    Awesome possum.

GM

Bossan accepts Catarine's assistance gratefully, and the two manage to get Elise's feet back on solid stone. The older Professor falls back against an outcrop, breathing heavily. He's not looking well at all, pale in the face and shaking, but he manages a weak grin at Catarine's attempt to assign Elise an accurate title.

Following Catarine's gaze, he turns to watch the approaching soldiers with relief. "Pretty quick of them to be on the move so fast. We must've made quite a ruckus," he says with forced cheerfulness, before concern clouds his expression. "Everyone's okay, right?"

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Makai & Iktomi
    [Perceptive 1]-[Ninja 3] & [Swift 2]-[Trickster 3]
    Volt: 0; Exp: 2

The yellow spider eyes the ungracefully fleeing aerodactyl. Iktomi's center eyes dart about the dilapidated house charting a course. If she jumps from there, then she could jump to there, and-
    "No. Don't even think about it."
    She chitters back unhappily.
    "You just took down a dog that breathes fire, and walking mountain. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty impressive. Let's count this as a win and move on, eh?" Iktomi acquiesces.

The two head over to Woman and Child. "Uh, You okay ma'am?"

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Elise & Zeal
    [Ambitious Aristocrat 3] - [Disciplined Dame 1] & [Exacting Executioner 0]
    Volt: 1; Exp: 0

Elise says nothing for a full minute, being pulled up from her somewhat precarious resting position with no resistance as she breathes slowly and feels the adrenaline fade, trying to keep her eyes locked on the fleeing Aerodactyl until the crenelation blocks her view.

Finally, she feels up and ready to start assessing things.

"First things first, Professor... are you alright?" Elise asks pointedly. "Those were some dangerous stunts out there...but I suppose I owe you for pushing yourself like that." she admits with a sigh.

"I didn't see anyone in serious danger except...did you either of you see Gawain... the boy with the fire horse?" she adds, explaining to Catarine who she was talking about. "The one who charged straight into their ambush."

"And we should probably see if that foreign Praetor got himself crushed under debris or something." she shakes her head. "We ready to head down the tower?"

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Tullius [Calm 1/1][Praetor 2/3] and Timaeus [Loyal 2/3][Samurai 3/3]
    Exp: 0
    Voltage3.gif: 0

Tullius and Timaeus are both shocked by the man's immolation, though fortunately uninjured. Tullius's eyebrows looked a bit singed and Timaeus appeared to have lost his whiskers, but otherwise they remain physically unharmed. Tullius stands almost perfectly still until Timaeus tugs on his robes a bit to get his attention.

"Oh! Oh, uhh... you alright, little buddy?" he gives the Oshawott a pat on the head but he's clearly still distracted. "Seems I've... seems I've lost my robe." His whole body still shaking, he wanders over to the woman and child and sits down, tapping his left foot distractedly.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Generator Charged! - Voltage.gifVoltage2.gifVoltage5.gifVoltage4.gifVoltage5.gifVoltage6.gifVoltage.gifVoltage3.gif (8)

GM posts and such to follow tomorrow.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Bhutso & Mara
    [Boisterous 3] - [Exotic Weaponeer 2] & [Skirmisher 4] - [Careless 1]
    Volt: 2; Exp: 0

"Sounds like we may have been of use after all" he says dejectedly to Mara. "Pity we didn't leave with them." She responds with a glower, a lick of flame lashing from her mouth. "Yes, you are right about haste this time" he replies, climbing aboard her back as she lowers to all fours.

"Pray that we don't here of a second attack on the east wall ma'a-" is all he manages to get out before Mara kicks off the cobblestone ground into a sprint. The stout monk clutches tight to her red fur, feet digging into the ironwork adorning her lower back. "You're not really selling me on this mode of transport, you know" he whispers in her ear, eyes shut and face buried close to her neck. She responds with a snort, leaping from the side of the bridge to the roofs of the houses below, iron claws scrambling for purchase among the old and broken shingles. She bounds effortlessly from roof to roof, large grooves seemingly already cut along the path, her familiarity with the route apparent. "Try not to get us killed before we've reach the fighting!"

• Options
    edited January 2012
    GM

Bossan waves off Catarine's concerns. "Fine, I'm fine. It's just been a while," he assures her, getting back to his feet. "Feelin' old," he adds, a bit sadly.

As they approach, Makai and Iktomi get a better look at the woman and kid. The woman is almost, but not quite, middle aged, with stringy brown hair, tanned skin, and the dirty, lean look of someone who's been on the road for a while. Though the wounds the Houndour inflicted on her look nasty, the bleeding has slowed, and she's managed to pull herself into a seated position, her arms wrapped around the child.

The kid looks similar enough to the woman to probably be related. A son, perhaps, given his apparent age. He doesn't appear quite as malnourished as the woman, but is still pretty thin and dirty. In contrast to the woman's brown hair, his own is a reddish blond, trimmed short.

Both are wearing a simple, homespun set of trousers and a loose tunic, and neither appears to be carrying any supplies or weapons that he can see. While the woman notes Makai's approach with open wariness, pulling the youngster closer to her as he nears the pair, the boy watches with the blank expression of someone who isn't quite caught up on current events.

"...I'm fine," she eventually manages to respond to the Ninja's question, voice thick with distrust, before flinching at Tullius' absentminded foot-tapping. She's pretty clearly quite shaken at the moment.

And Bhutso and Mara show up. Yay~.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Tanaka & Gigen
    [Manful Martial Monk 1] - [Willful Wisdom Seeker 1] & [Spirited Spectral Scrapper 4] - [Puerile Pest 1]
    Volt: 0 Exp: 1

Tanaka spits out a lot of red. He pulls off his fancy orange sash and uses it to bandage his forearm. He feels leaky.

Gigen climbs up on his shoulders again, and the two wander over to the tower.

"Good work back there, Gi. 'Specially like what you did with that dog." Gigen's chest puffs up a little and he chitters a couple of lines. "Ah, wasn't nothing. Gonna need to clean my flute, though."

Tanaka's head pops through the trap door leading to the tower top.

"Everyone still alive up here?"

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Catarine and Mitsuhide
    [Haughty 2] - [Noblewoman 4] & [Honorable 0] - [Protector 2]
    Volt: 0 Exp: 0

"I think Gawain is over that way? By the wall?" Catarine voices, peering over the ramparts and pointing vaguely towards the ruins of the border wall, "I don't see his mount anywhere though..."

It looks like the fighting has stopped just about everywhere so Catarine sets to cleaning dusting off her cuffs and fetches her sword-cloth to scour her epée of dirt and blood just as a motion from the trapdoor startles her into leveling the weapon at the emerging head.

She quickly rectifes her composure however when she realises it is the brightly clad monk from the party, looking a little worse for wear but smiling regardless. She turns her clumsy threat into an (overly) elaborate flourish and carefully sheathes the blade, it would not do it all to get all jittery and stab someone after all this...

"I can't speak for the others but I am fine, thanks for your concern." Catarine responds to the young mans query in a practiced, dignified, manner, "although I must say your tutor is looking rather pale. I trust everyone is well down below?"

• Options
    Bhutso & Mara

Hearing voices from above, Mara scales the side of the ruined tower, metal claws planting themselves into ruined stone. She clambers over the top, dumping her spooked cargo to the ground.

Bhutso clambers to his feet, a bit shaken, but looking considerably less maimed than his nearby acquaintances. "You lot look like you've been to the depths of Hell and back; apologies for not being more fleet of foot! We should get those wounds tended to, I think."

"Bossan, I don't recall attacks of this nature being commonplace, what do you suppose such an earnest strike was meant for?"

• Options
    edited January 2012
    GM

"No, not commonplace at all, really," Bossan responds. "This is the first time I've seen a group so well-armed in more than a decade. And to have them show up with no warning like that..." He shrugs, leaving the notion open to speculation.

"Perhaps we should give what's left of them a look over. They might have some letters, or identification of some sort? Maybe even some sort of insignia other than those ghastly colors they wore would be nice," he suggests. "Someone should stay up here as a lookout, of course. There might be more of them and the last thing we need is another ambush."

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Gawain & Amber
    [Cavalier 3/4] - [Tactical 1/1] & [Warmount 1/3] - [Courageous 0/2]

Gawain heads toward the group is gathering, limping slightly and using the butt of his spear as a walking stick.

"Professor, I apologize," he says when he reaches them. He sounds dejected, but he keeps his head up. "Amber and I were reckless, and now she will need medical attention. I should have maintained better for both our sakes."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Bhutso & Mara

"We've the rest of what was milling about the courtyard on their way for support, though I can't say anything for the other walls" he reports, seating himself. "What of the others? The ninja was like to handle himself, but I worry for the bookworm. Was he lost in the fray?"

• Options
    Tanaka & Gigen
    [Manful Martial Monk 1] - [Willful Wisdom Seeker 1] & [Spirited Spectral Scrapper 4] - [Puerile Pest 1]

Tanaka gives Catarine a hard stare. Then sits near Bhutso, with a long sigh.

"Can't say for sure, I was a little... lost in the proceedings. Didn't see anyone eat steel, though. How was the party?"

• Options
    Bhutso & Mara

"Rather dull I'm afraid; seems most of it petered out after everyone left for the excitement. Though I am glad for that over an arrow to the shoulder."

"Any survivors to speak of?"

• Options
    Tanaka & Gigen

"Besides the one that rode outta here? Maybe one, but I didn't check." Tanaka rises unsteadily to his feet. "Guess I'll go do that."

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Makai & Iktomi
    [Perceptive 1] - [Nervous Ninja 3] & [Swift Spider 2] - [Troublesome Trickster 3]
    Volt: 0 Exp: 2

Makai does his best to try and calm the shaken woman.
    "Oh, um. Don't get the wrong idea! We might have murdered those guys with..." He counts on his fingers "...78.3% efficiency. But we're not bad! We're just pokemon trainers." He thinks for a second. "Actually, I can't really say we aren't-" Iktomi gives Makai a light shock. Hes rambling.

"But yea, we're here to help. Don't worry."

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Elise & Zeal

At Bhutso's comment Elise looks back to the source of pain she had been tuning out, the arrow puncturing through her armor. She should... probably get that looked at sooner rather than later.

"Did anyone see exactly where the retreating archer and the reptile fled to? I was...not able to keep an eye on their retreat."

• Options
    Bhutso & Mara

"I'm afraid I didn't witness any such retreats on my way here; it was a strain just to keep myself from falling below" he says, wringing the feeling back into his whitened knuckles.

Mara seems less than surprised, letting out an annoyed hiss to express her distaste for her softer companion. A small jet of flame erupts from her mouth, gliding swiftly through the air in the direction of the Aerodactyl's flight.

• Options
    Catarine and Mitsuhide
    [Haughty 2] - [Noblewoman 4] & [Honorable 0] - [Protector 2]
    Volt: 0; Exp: 0

"I think that sniper fled back from where she came, you can see the hole the dragon crashed through down there," suggested Catarine, pointing towards the now somewhat more ruined house.

"With regards to survivors there are a couple of knaves at the bottom of the tower who might not be totally dead, I wounded one pretty badly but he might not have expired quite yet. Speaking thereof perhaps we should egress this tower? It's getting rather crowded and I'm positive this exposure cannot be good for anyones wounds..."

• Options
    Elise & Zeal

Elise squints at the collapsed house, nothing more than a few pillars left. If she looks at it just the right way...the indentations on the rubble... oh ok, there we go.

"Well, considering most of them were spotted on the ruined western wall and this likely retreat, they most likely entered the town from the west."

She tries to concentrate further, but her wound keeps distracting her.

"I do believe I will take my leave from this tower, I must rest and seek treatment as well. Professor, if you and your companion could keep a lookout atop this building while you catch your breath it would be most appreciated."

Making to leave, she spots a woman, with some sort of child with her, conversing with the Praetor and Makai. Keeping at some distance she sits down on a relatively comfortable makeshift seat of rubble, observing and listening in on the conversation with feigned disinterest.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    GM

Bossan exhales noisily at Gawain's apology. "You did fine, for your first time. Could've been way worse, believe me. In any case, Amber will be back up on her feet before the day's out. It's a cruel lesson to learn, but better your Pokemon than you."

He massages his temple, attempting to dredge up information long unnecessary in his day-to-day work. "West of here would be... Hero's Road, and the Amethyst Plateau. Bit of a no man's land from what I can remember. Popular strategic target because it was the only pass you could move an army through." He shakes his head.

"Haven't heard of anyone coming or going that way. It's haunted land, and dangerous. If anything could survive out that way I'd imagine it'd be savages like these, though."

He gives a halfhearted salute at Elise's order. "As you say, Lady. Looking out."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tanaka takes a quick look at their foes for survivors, but the scouting group did their job with brutal efficiency. Those enemies who weren't torn to pieces or exploded have seemingly bled out from sustained lethal wounds. The price of defending yourself in earnest, it seems. The three fallen Pokemon who weren't captured have now fully dissolved into the atmosphere, though he can faintly sense the lingering taint of their dispersed spirits in the air.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The woman doesn't seem any happier at Makai's calming attempt. She seems to realize she doesn't really have many options at this point, however.

"What's going to happen to me?" she asks.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Makai & Iktomi
    [Perceptive 1] - [Ninja 3] & [Swift 2] - [Trickster 3]

"Um, That's completely up to you! If you want you could come into town with us, get some food, get cleaned up a bit and your wounds tended to. But you're not like a prisoner or anything, You can go back where ever you came from and we won't stop you." He pauses for dramatic effect.

"Although...we didn't kill all your pursuers. I know for a fact the Aerodactyl and some archers are still out there. So you flee into the wilderness you may have to deal with that."

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Elise & Zeal

Elise stands up and approaches Makai and the woman/child pair. Somehow, she didn't think that this woman and child were going to trust simple generosity, and she had something she wanted to know so... time to intervene. Keeping her recently retrieved halberd strapped to her back, she clanks over in her suit of armor, carrying her helmet in her left arm.

"My companion's words are genuine. You see, you're fortunate enough to have run into a group of young men and women who were, until recently, merely students of the academy here in town. Not the standard guards you may or may not have had evaded in the past who ensure that no one is living in these ruins, a rule imposed exactly because of people like the brigands that seem to have injured you.

However, in exchange for the aid we are willing to offer you, I'd like to know exactly what you saw or know of these brigands we've encountered."

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Headerpkmn.jpg

Going Downtime

"I'll come with you. Talk," the woman says, too exhausted to offer much more than that cursory promise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cavalry, such as it is, finally arrives. Polished armor and gleaming weaponry of the Malachite Guard, grey cloaked City Scouts, and the mish-mash of fashion worn by the Academy students and their teachers. If not a perfectly timely arrival, it's certainly a stylish one, as a protective ring is formed around the party and their apparent captives, the smashed wall is manned with lookouts and defenders, and the collapsed and collapsing nearby houses begin to be thoroughly searched for any possible lingering danger.

Those who took damage in the battle may have their wounds quickly and efficiently bandaged. Elise's arrow is nervously, but professionally, removed by what she takes to be one of the Scout's medics, and the woman and child are carried to a makeshift litter to be brought into Malachite, proper, though no one seems quite sure yet if it's as prisoners or guests.

It seems you're no longer needed at the wall, and with a weary sigh, Bossan suggests the heroes find their way back to civilization and leave the busy work in the hands of the Johnny-come-latelies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Downtime, Baby

Downtime, as I'm sure I mentioned in the OP or something, is when I am much more welcoming of Characters running off and doing their own thing for a bit. Accomplishing minor, personal goals, training, healing, purchasing, and doing whatever you think will make for good reading (get you voltage, etc.)

This can be done in the usual Play-by-Post method, where I will attempt to update more often and not wait on stragglers as much, or you can IM me or hop onto the IRC channel (irc.rizon.net, #Voltage) and we can hash things out all real-time-like.

Also, got some summaries of various places in and around Malachite that you might want to check out for things and/or stuff.

If you've got no idea what's going on, just watch Terrendos, he's got this particular brand of my bullshit down pat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

West Wall

A hive of hurried, but confused activity. Since the attack by the ragged brigands, the wall has garnered an impressive crew of lookouts, scouts, and heavily armed guards. Shouted orders echo in houses long abandoned as the search for hiding threats continues throughout the day, and heavy boulders are rolled into place where the wall has collapsed to provide at least a token effort at defense should more raiders return.

Pokemon Temple

A tranquil place of healing and peace, uniformly familiar to anyone who's had a Pokemon in need of reviving. The ancient stone edifice bears within it the trickling sounds of myriad fountains and the coo of gentle breezes through its open corridors. Unlike the other structures in the city, the floor is carpeted with living grass, maintained in good health by a Gloom and her Oddish offspring when the Malachite's crops don't require their attention. A few, barefoot and loosely robed monks dwell within the imposing building, dispensing wisdom, advice, and, of course, aiding in the recovery of Pokemon who've been injured.

Academy

The former military academy of Malachite. Nowadays its a shadow, albeit a promising one, of its former prestige. Boasting far more open courtyards, training classes, and auditoriums than its current enrollment and staff would warrant, it's child's play to find an empty room to privately peruse an elderly text from its modest library or engage in some high-spirited Pokemon battles with a fellow student or alumnus. Having the Pokemon Temple just down the street is a major bonus.

Noble's Quarters

Those of you who aren't staying somewhere in the Academy's dormitories likely have a place to sleep here, nestled deep within the habitated portion of the city. Though none of the occupied homes in Malachite could be called shabby, the buildings here are particularly well-appointed, and have been repaired professionally to be quite comfy and spacious abodes. The Woman and Child have been confined in a pair of rooms here until they can recover from their unfortunate encounter and, more importantly, it is decided what should be done with the unusual, and unexpected newcomers.

Malachite Forest

A deep, verdant forest to the north of Malachite, marred by deep, blackened scars of char and ash said to be the aftermath of desperate battles long forgotten. The woodland is well known for easy foraging, and its abundant supply of flora and fauna, including the occasional Grass or Bug Pokemon and rarely seen, but disconcerting, Fire Types. Local superstition says to stay well clear of the many patches of dead, fire-scorched earth, where nothing living can be found even to this day.

Hero's Road

West of Malachite, the open plains are crowded in by the encroaching sea and mountain to provide a precarious path into the unknown. Once a popular trading route, if you were to carefully and laboriously clear away the brush and shrubs, you might eventually find the remnants of a well-paved road, left to be lost and overgrown. Beyond disoriented or wandering Malachite Forest natives, the ubiquitous Rattata, and migratory Spearow are common Pokemon here, as well as varying species of Water Types if one explores the beach.

Path to Slate

A meager, meandering path leading first through the limited farmland Malachite maintains outside the city walls, and then through the forested plains south of Malachite to where the small village of Slate dwells. At least, if the irregular trader or traveler is to be trusted. Widely considered the safest area to go if one simply must leave the protection of Malachite's walls, the only Pokemon seen with any frequency in the area tend to either be small and rodent-ish like the Sentret, or at least relatively harmless like the common Pidgey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naturally there's other places you could go, but I think I covered the main ones with some stellar descriptions that should excite and amaze. If you want more deliriously relevant info for the setting: ask mortal, and ye shall receive.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Makai & Iktomi
    [Perceptive 2] - [Ninja 3] & [Swift 2] - [Trickster 3]

Makai sticks his hands in his pockets and and moseys about town.

After that Battle he's come to the conclusion him and Iktomi need to work on being more Mobile in battle. A dagger would make a good mobile weapon. Malachite Forest would be a good place to train with Iktomi.

But first, off to the temple to revive the Houdour he caught. Once the pup has been revived maybe the monks can give advice on best way of training it.

after looking up what a Galvantula is actually vulnerable to. I think I wanna changes Iktomi's resists and weaknesses. Being weak to the four most popular attacking types suddenly seems like maaaaaaybe a bad idea.

Weakness:
    Fire
    Rock
    Ground

Resist:
    Grass
    Electric
    Dark

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Changing stuff around is cool. Daggers are cheap and plentiful enough in Malachite that you can probably get a rather nice one (or several) for a pittance. Familiarizing Makai with [Mobile] Combat will cost an Exp, though.

Makai and Iktomi

The ninja approaches the familiar sight of the Temple, a wide, gateless arch serving as the main entrance to its grassy-floored, stone-walled interior.

A smiling monk in a faded green robe steps out of the shadow of the doorway to greet him, and Makai recalls just how quietly they can move on the grass with their barefeet. He's sure it's not intentional per se, but there's always lessons to be learned if you keep our eyes (and ears) open.

"Good day to you, young master. To what do we owe the pleasure of your visit this afternoon?" the monk asks cordially, bowing his balding head low to Makai and Iktomi.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Catarine and Mitsuhide

Walking around a town, surrounded by armed soldiers, just like being at home! Speaking of which Catarine decides she should probably write to her family sooner over later, she was supposed to do so as soon as she arrived in Malachite but things escalated...

Bidding a brisk farewell to her companions, with promises to meet up later in the day, she heads to her suite in the Noble's Quarters, passing through a number of carefully arranged ornamental gardens before the door to her current residence is opened by her footman. One of several servants who accompanied her from Battlesend, including a page and her favoured handmaiden, but they are under strict instructions to accompany the young noble no further than Malachite.

The suite is extravagent in scale, a large central room dotted with wooden pillars, silken curtains and wooden screens provide partitioning between various rooms. Thus providing a rather mobile, open plan arrangement that nevertheless manages to be both modest and luxurious.

Perhaps it would be best to change out of these dusty clothes first, all that rolling around in rubble and stabbing miscreants tends to make a terrible mess of ones blouse, and now that the ceremony has concluded this formal wear is becoming rather ostentatious. Sending her maidservant to prepare a bath and lay out some new attire Catarine hangs up her sword and sits at the carven writing desk to draw up a letter home.

'Dearest family,

I have arrived in Malachite and have already made the acquaintance of a number of pleasant fellows, including a ranking member of the Malachite priveleged no less. Despite being informed of the towns position as a haven there was a significant assault upon the wall just this morning in which I, and my newfound companions, became embroiled. Fortunately I came to no serious harm, and indeed believe to have shown the might of Damaské splendidly, although my noble guardian did suffer most grievously and is currently recuperating, no doubt he shall redouble his protective efforts upon recovery. I have recieved no word as the nature of the attacks perpetrators, although they appeared to me to be a most unseemly lot, I shall enquire around town for any information.

Short of that I have little more to tell, we planned to travel north to Quartz, although that was agreed on before the raid so plans may very well have changed.

I will endeavour to contact you again once we reach the next town, although I do not know whether there shall be any sort of efficient courier service from here on in so my contact may be sporadic.

Your loving daughter,

Catarine Efiquile Bu'nansa Demaské'

That done Catarine empressed the letter to her page giving him instructions to deliver it upon his return to Malachite. She slipped into the waiting bath (which no doubt featured rose-petals and bath salts and all the other marks of a pampered lifestyle) before changing into the clothes laid out for her in her bedchamber. Much less extravagent than the ceremonial garb she had donned this morning, an embroidered bodice and lacy peticoat covered with a soft-leather mantle, a pair of heavy riding boots for her feet and a full-body travelling cloak to top of the ensemble. As an afterthought Catarine goes to the embossed swordcase in the corner of the room and buckles a sabre about her waist, the mornings events had taught that this place is not quite as safe as it seems perhaps, best to go prepared. With this in mind she also selects a main guache from the box and slips it through her belt. The woolen cloak has the added advantage of concealing not only her expensive attire but also these armaments from any prying eyes. Thus prepared Catarine sets out onto the streets of Malachite.

The first stop is likely to be the Temple she saw on her first look round, it would not do to neglect Mitsuhide at this stage; a resentful bodyguard is worse than no bodyguard at all. Also it seems likely she will run into more ruffians of the nature seen this morning, folk who are not wont to abide by duelling rules, it may be wise to drop by the Academy to see if anyone there will instruct her in a more practical fighting style.

Is that too long? I feel that may be too long...

My exams are over for now too so I might actually be able to drop into the irc occasionally.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    nah i liked it, have a voltage

aside: north thru the forest takes us to Quartz

south is slate

• Options
    Cheers!
    Quartz, right, my bad. Nobles aren't expected to remember names! We have people for that...

• Options
    Bhutso & Mara

Relieved that the fighting was through with, Bhutso takes a slow trot to the populated areas of the city, looking out beyond the wall as he makes his way back. His gaze extends far past the overgrowth to the plateau rising beyond, the paths thereafter shrouded in mystery.

Back in the city, he ascends the steps slowly to the once robust academy, seeming to extend for miles into the upper ring before he reaches the large overwrought doors. I suppose such steps would have kept the military in shape, he thinks, taking a moment to stretch his aching legs.

Crossing the immense courtyard dotted with the occasional caretaker or group of students, he pushes his way into the once grand library. Dusty tomes line the walls, half destroyed and and many others out of reach, untouched for years. The inhabited part of the library is considerably less disheveled, an ancient library catalog grabbing the monk's attention at the front desk.

He turns the delicate paper over in his hands, scanning for anything regarding the Hero's Path or the settlements north of the forest he called home. Missing pages and faded text make the going difficult, causing him to look about for aid from the library's caretaker.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I will try and do a post tonight.

Worst case scenario, it gets done tomorrow.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I usually take things easy during downtime. Shouldn't be a problem, Stilts.

Also, not sure if people prefer to actually RP out their downtime or just list off whatever they want to get done and have that be it. Either way is acceptable, though, whatever you are comfortable with. Just make it clear if you want my input on anything.

And obviously Downtime is a good time to grub for Voltage handouts. Like to reiterate that folks should attempt to have it so the Voltage is roughly even-ish on how much each Player gets. Unless you seriously think someone is being useless and deserves nothing, but that seems like a thing that would be better corrected with some discussion, and not by depriving them of Volts and Exp.

So, if you start getting way more than everyone else, considering easing off a bit or use your apparently awesome power of narrative to aid someone lagging in their Voltage efforts (you set 'em up, they knock 'em own works out pretty well, for instance).

If you're starting to lag behind then, you know, try and be awesome or something. Maybe write a couple paragraphs of overwrought prose. Could even try and do a team up attack with someone who has low standards for Voltage handouts.

Whatever works.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Temple

"Ah, another visitor," the monk notes, looking past Makai to spot Catarine's approach. As the lady nears, the monk blinks, taking a mental step back as he recognizes her noble attire but fails to attach a name or rank to her face.

He opts for the safe gesture of a polite, formal bow. "My Lady, welcome to the Pokemon Temple. I will be with you shortly," he says, nervously, before turning back to Makai to await his answer.

Bhutso & Mara

Bhutso doesn't manage to find the Librarian, which is not terribly unusual considering how often the young girl is out doing chores and taking care of business the other faculty neglects. He does however notice the girl's assistant, or rather, her Pokemon, though the distinction is nearly nil in this case. The brown and tan biped stops combing through the shelves to subject Bhutso and Mara to its unnerving, red-iris stare.

Having had a long time to pick up on human body language, the surly Lopunny does an incredible rendition of the "you are interrupting vital business so this had better be good" look, with crossed arms for extra credit. It even adds a haughty head tilt which is an affectation Bhutso hasn't seen before. Simply stunning.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Makai & Iktomi
    [Perceptive 1] - [Ninja 3] & [Swift 2] - [Trickster 3]

"Oh!" He quickly places his palm in his open fist and bows. These guys can be scary good. Crazy wise old monks. "I captured a Pokemon. I think I wanna try training it."

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Bhutso & Mara

"Oh don't mind us" he says with a jolly grin. "You're doing important work I can see. I'd hate to disturb you!" he waves an idle hand dismissively, yet has a hard time breaking from its ruby gaze. "Is the lady about?" he continues absentmindedly, "you see I am looking for any tomes on the hero's path as well as any such paths and settlements to the north. Sad to say I never got wise to the way you two organize around here"

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Going to be a bit busy today and tomorrow, may make some time to do an update or may be a lazy piece of shit instead and try to sleep off all these night shifts.

I'll have Monday and Tuesday off though, so those would be good days to get things done.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Temple

"Oh, well then I think we can accommodate you," the monk says to Makai happily. "You know your way around, yes? Pick any room you like and I'll be along shortly if you need anything."

Makai recalls the Temple plays host to a large variety of specialized rooms. Since Pokemon seem to be calmer and heal quicker when in the presence of their element, many rooms boast pools of water and fountains, rock gardens, dense growths of plant-life, and even fire pits with carefully stacked wood ready for burning. The roof is also open to visitors, and the height of the Temple over the nearby buildings nearly guarantees the constant flow of a brisk, cool breeze.

There are of course more conventional rooms as well, for training or for Pokemon with no elemental preference. Incense and sacrificial offerings are also available for purchase throughout the Temple, ranging from simple foodstuffs to semi-precious stones to other, more arcane, ingredients of doubtful veracity.

Bhutso & Mara

The Lopunny shrugs in reply, turns, and beckons impatiently for the monk and his Pokemon to follow.

The Academy's geography section is woefully undersupplied, many of the shelves nearly emptied for some unknown reason. Looters from long ago? Destroyed to stop information from getting into enemy hands? It's a mystery.

That's not to say there isn't anything of worth here, however. Lopunny is quick to demonstrate his familiarity and expertise by dragging down several tomes to a table for Bhutso, and flipping them open to relevant section for his research. The paths and settlements listed are almost certainly outdated, but that doesn't mean the routes and villages couldn't be found again.

Many of the main routes north pass through the Malachite Forest, apparently in the old days the roads were well-kept and Pokemon scarce enough that travel through the Forest was safe enough to attempt with a minimum of guards. At least one of the routes takes a far more easterly approach at first, skirting the edge of the Forest and following an unnamed river. The latter route also mentions a small village as a resting stop about half of the way to Quartz Town, noting that the inhabitants are insular but open to trade. He'd estimate that routes through the Forest, moving at a fair pace, would take 5 days to reach Quartz Town, and the more roundabout east path would take 6, but the small trade village could be reached on the 3rd day.

Hero's Road, on the other hand, is not terribly well defined, as it seems many of the authors assumed the reader would have at least a passing familiarity with the areas to the west. As it is, Bhutso finds a few mentions of a trade hub called Amethyst Plateau, and some references to the fertility and wealth to be found in the regions beyond. Though there is no map, from the recommended supplies for travel he'd guess Amethyst Plateau would be about a week to a week-and-a-half's travel.

The Lopunny sidles out from the bookshelves and places a pot of steaming hot tea and two small, clay cups on a straw mat next to Bhutso. Giving the monk a short glare to communicate what will happen should anything be spilled on any books, he silently pads back from whence he came.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also take requests for NPC Pokemon that show up. Lopunny is a personal favorite for how goddamn creepy-looking it is.

Marshmallow on